mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Good job! New FS from Ibis sometime in the future

Hey,
    Guess what, DW mentioned something about Ibis working on a project. I know it wont be about the Tranny cause its already announce.

Im guessing its either an XC or Downhill bike, 70% goes to the downhill bike.

Here is an excerpt of the article:
    DM :: Besides Turner, who else will be using the DW Link for the coming year? What will differentiate those bikes from the Turners?

DW :: This year we have Iron Horse in its last year of dw-link licensing, the bikes are the same in 09 as they were in 05-08 with new graphics and some new component specs. Ibis is killing is with the incredibly popular all-carbon Mojo. My lips are sealed on new Ibis projects but you can bet they are up to something. Newcomer as of 08, Pivot Cycles is coming off a really strong first year with the introduction (today actually) of an all new 167mm all-mountain bike called the Firebird. It uses a floating shock design similar to what we did on the IF Tungsten Electrode project a few years back. I have had the chance to spend some time in Arizona recently on this bike and I have to say that I am really looking forward to getting one here and ripping the XC trails on it hard, it was awesome. Also, their 429 has me saying something that I never thought I would. I like this 29er bike! I had a blast riding it, I really did. IF is still waiting in the balance. Someday my friends, someday.
    Full article
    07 Giant Anthem 2 (Int'l Edition) | omartan.co.cc
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Interbike is coming.. Maybe they will release it there?

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    One thing Ibis has always shown you can count on - they don't stand still and rest on their laurels!

They have 4 great bikes in the stable at the moment, a new one would be very exciting but I wonder whether we will see one this year given the type of perfectionists the guys at Ibis are. (and that getting the Tranny ready for public consumption obviously was a labor of love).

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Interbike is coming.. Maybe they will release it there?
    Well Im not sure, I mean Ibis is currently busy filling backorders of their Mojo, Im not sure if they can take any more orders and keep up the quality control work unless they decided to expand their company.

Heck Tranny hasn't even released yet, Im guessing it is possible that they show a preview of the new FS but will not state the release date.

But having DW mentioned that Ibis is doing something is heck of a good news . I do hope Ibis is thinking of this Direct Mount Front Derailleur concept that can be found on Spesh bikes and some boutique bike company (forget which).
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Lopes was quoted in a French magazine that he's working with Ibis primarily on the 2010 line up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Wink

Lopes was quoted in a French magazine that he's working with Ibis primarily on the 2010 line up.
    This mostly confirms it then, the next Ibis bike will be a downhill bike, it is not known if its going to be carbon or aluminum though cause if its carbon then I think Lopes will be the first guy riding a downhill carbon bike.

2010 sounds reasonable considering that DT took 1-2 years into making the DW Turners.
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelhot
    This mostly confirms it then, the next Ibis bike will be a downhill bike, it is not known if its going to be carbon or aluminum though cause if its carbon then I think Lopes will be the first guy riding a downhill carbon bike.

2010 sounds reasonable considering that DT took 1-2 years into making the DW Turners.
    They will probably have a longer travel bike, but I dought they will make a downhill specific bike - thats a pretty niche market. A 7" bike would do well, and Lopes could race it DH in the events he's competitve in (I'm thinking Willengen, etc.).

BTW, carbon DH bikes have been done before. Check out BCD, Lahar, and even GT has a carbon DH bike for '09.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - VP of Business Development
    Pivot Cycles - Team Rider

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    BTW, carbon DH bikes have been done before. Check out BCD, Lahar, and even GT has a carbon DH bike for '09.
    Aaah I see.
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado
    They will probably have a longer travel bike, but I dought they will make a downhill specific bike - thats a pretty niche market. A 7" bike would do well, and Lopes could race it DH in the events he's competitve in (I'm thinking Willengen, etc.).

I bet it would be a 6-7" bike set to compete with the Nomad, RFX, and Remedy type of bikes.
    I could also see a 4" XC race machine. Lopes is riding for them now, but who's to say that an XC racer isn't making contracts with Ibis as well.

Speculating is so much fun.

The MTB Lab
    I would much prefer a 29er

But I have visited dark side and like big tires.

I have no interest in more suspension, but that's just me, I just don't like the way a 6"+ bike climbs nor rides, except obviously for going down rock gardens.

How about a 650/29er 5.5 rear and 5 front

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

How about?

A cable routing project. The current routing is the shitz. You shouldn't have to put twenty inches of clear tape on your frame to keep it from getting eat up by the cables in high visibility areas. Don't get me wrong, this is one of the best riding frames I've ever owned, but the cable routing is ugly, no matter how pretty you try to make it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I could also see a 4" XC race machine. Lopes is riding for them now, but who's to say that an XC racer isn't making contracts with Ibis as well.
    Eh, who is the XC racer who is racing on a Mojo and sponsored?
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

Trail Rider
    I would like a 6 in. travel 6 lb. frame(using SL frame technology) with a 13.6 or 13.7 BB height. Beefing up the rear stays and the main frame a little, and adding a little more travel. A Mojo ESL.
    Don

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Maybe my midicloreans are all mixed up as well but,
    I have to say it, after riding the 429, I would not mind a 29er Mojo or all carbon 429 myself.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Hmm, most likely we will see a longer travel Mojo considering who is Ibis sponsoring right now.

I think 7.5" is enough? Not too much and not too little for downhill?

Actually I was thinking of a Tranny FS for a full-suspension DW link version of Tranny.
    That is for the XC version of Ibis though, it wont have the name Mojo in it because it uses different front triangle then the Mojo and as you expect from the name, it is using the Tranny front triangle design.

I imagined that the shock will be placed at the top-tube, and it will have about 110mm of travel. Its weight? Well lighter then the SL of course.
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

Founder: Dirty3hirties
    Quote Originally Posted by El Mojone
    A cable routing project. The current routing is the shitz. You shouldn't have to put twenty inches of clear tape on your frame to keep it from getting eat up by the cables in high visibility areas. Don't get me wrong, this is one of the best riding frames I've ever owned, but the cable routing is ugly, no matter how pretty you try to make it.

Eh? The Mojo's routing is pretty vanilla if you ask me. It's not radical by any nature. In fact, it's pretty standard......along the top tude, down the seatstay. Cable rubbing will ALWAYS happen, no matter what bike you ride. If you don't put some protection on AL bikes, you'll rub the paint right off. And worse, the cable will eventually wear away at the tubing. In fact, if you got your bike built by your LBS and they didn't put on some tape for cable rub, they did a piss poor job IMO. Mojo owners put on the clear tape to protect the aesthetics of the bike. Just because we choose to put more of it on to protect the looks and finish of the bike doesn't mean the cable routing is bad. In fact, if it's so bad, how would YOU route it? I'd like to see how you'd be able to avoid rubbing at the HT and TT/ST junction. The only other option is to run the cables along the DT.....but who knows if that's going to be better/worse upon compression. Bottom line, you'll always have cable rub.

mtbr member

No more speculation for me...

I just bought a Transition Dirtbag for my lift accessed and freeride days. My mojo is set up perfect for aggressive all mountain and it would be great to have a freeride version, but i decided to go with a bike company that specializes in the freeride arena. If the mojo FR is sold as a frame I could always swap my parts over!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Well Im not sure, I mean Ibis is currently busy filling backorders of their Mojo,...etc
    It is pretty well established from comments on Mtbr and elswhere that a 7" bike is on the way.

I am sure that Ibis will release it as soon as they are happy with everything.

As to what Ibis can and cannot do as a company, it is not really much help speculating on the net.
    Personally I think they should be left in peace to do what they do best

Speculating on what they might produce though is a lot more fun and entertaining.

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    a Tranny without the detachable rear triangle would be pretty sweet as a hard tail you can hoon around town on or race Dual Slalom or Mountaincross on.

I would still love a true DH Ibis bike but that seems less likely given how much smaller the DH market is and that the Turner DHR will attack that niche in a big way. It seems more and more likely that Amber may end up on a 2009 Turner DHR assuming that the ride reports are good.

mtbr member
    Remember, Ibis builds what THEY like to ride.

Scot (from Singletrack interview): "That’s always been the philosophy of Ibis, we build bikes we want to ride. The Tranny hardtail is no different. I like to ride single speeds, I travel a lot" "Some of us are coming from an XC background and are exploring the benefits of really efficient long travel suspension. Then we see what 5.5in can do and we want more. Some of us are coming off longer travel bikes and looking for the snappier feeling ride of a shorter travel suspension. On the road side, we’re looking at comfortable ‘ride all day’ bikes, looking at bikes to ride to work on (or around town) and
    looking at bikes for rougher terrain. We’re looking at or actively working on bikes in all of these directions. But don’t expect anything too soon or too frequently."

http://www.ibiscycles.com/downloads/...0Scot+Mojo.pdf

I read that as a LT downhill bike and a XC shorter travel bike. But don't hold your breath, it could be awhile.

I'd like to see a 29" FS carbon or 650b. Or better yet, a 650b swing arm for the mojo and tranny..

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    i don't know, i am still not completely sold on the whole carbon thing in off-road. you can have catastrophic failure.

this is why i decided against a carbon seat post on my mojo. why risk it?

i would love to see ibis work on a beach cruiser. one that is light weight and can accommodate large tires for sand riding.

mx

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    As to what Ibis can and cannot do as a company, it is not really much help speculating on the net.
    Personally I think they should be left in peace to do what they do best
    Yup

Speculating on what they might produce though is a lot more fun and entertaining.
    That's the point of this thread isn't it?
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

Trail Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by mx_599
    i don't know, i am still not completely sold on the whole carbon thing in off-road. you can have catastrophic failure.

i would love to see ibis work on a beach cruiser. one that is light weight and can accommodate large tires for sand riding.

mx
    I've had my Mojo for 1.5 years. Same goes for the CF seat post and handlebars. I was always a Thomsen post and Ti handlebar fanatic until now. I have crashed the bike a few times.
    No problems so far.
    Don

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    If I were to pick a carbon seatpost and handlebar, the main brand that I will think of is Easton PERIOD! I wont think of any other brand.
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Quattro
    I've had my Mojo for 1.5 years. Same goes for the CF seat post and handlebars. I was always a Thomsen post and Ti handlebar fanatic until now. I have crashed the bike a few times.
    No problems so far.
    this is good to know. i didn't order the seat post yet. i like the easton one too. what i really like about the thomson is the wide clamp area. i don't know that i would ever realize any true benefit from this...but it stands to reason that it supports the seats better with a wide width.

hhhmmmm

wheelhot and derby, if you were i, would you go with the venerable thomson or the decidingly narrow easton clamped seatpost?

mx

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    this is good to know. i didn't order the seat post yet. i like the easton one too. what i really like about the thomson is the wide clamp area. i don't know that i would ever realize any true benefit from this...but it stands to reason that it supports the seats better with a wide width.
    For me, a wider area clamp will reduce the stress on your saddle rails. Im not sure how long is the Easton clamp area though so Im not sure how big is the difference between a Thompson clamping area and a Easton EC90 (I assume) clamping area.

Correct me if Im wrong, but if I recall, Ti rails is much stronger then Cr-Mo. Im not sure what is the average american weight, but if you are not a heavy rider, then I dont think it will be much of a difference.

We are talking bout the saddle clamping area here right?
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

mx
    I have heard this so often, and relating it to my experience, it is unjustifiable.

I have had carbon bars on my DH bike for 2 years, zero problems.
    I have had carbon bars on the trail bikes for 4years, zero problems.
    I have had carbon levers on my brakes for 3 years: zero problems.
    I have had carbon bodied forks for 2 years: zero problems.

I am not light and not very skilled either

These "why risk it?" statements were made for years after alloy bike frames became popular.
    Now, there is no significant risk with an alloy bike.

By the way, has anybody ever seen a steel or alloy bike fail slowly? I would suggest hardly ever, except for the odd crack.

Hans has stated elsewhere on MTBR how he has been trying to find the limits of a Mojo frame, by giving it a hard time for 1500 hours, including riding down the wooden sleepers between railroad tracks.

The Mojo is one tough bike, no risk

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I find this very amazing, 2 years carbon bar on DH use, that bar must have stand up to some serious abuse.

Hans has stated elsewhere on MTBR how he has been trying to find the limits of a Mojo frame, by giving it a hard time for 1500 hours, including riding down the wooden sleepers between railroad tracks.
    I assume it didnt crack?

Well one of the riders has a good point but carbon stuffs that I would like to share, I dont know how to answer him so I just keep quiet.
    Here is the statement:
    Epoxy wont last so long, so once the epoxy is weaken, the carbon frame will break easily.

Anyone care to explain?
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    No problems = no cracking of course

That epoxy statement is obviously untrue, or old Mojos would be failing, and carbon bikes would be gradually falling apart just by being old.

Alloy will always harden and weaken with use well below the normal failure point, this is the nature of Aluminium, however there is no evidence of carbon bikes doing this.

Easton has a lifetime warrantee on it's carbon bars, they do not offer that with their alloy versions...

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    That epoxy statement is obviously untrue, or old Mojos would be failing, and carbon bikes would be gradually falling apart just by being old.
    Yeah, you got a point, I remember telling them something like that but they dont believe me, guess that is what to expect from people who think hydraulic disc brakes still has poor reservoir sealing.
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    For me, a wider area clamp will reduce the stress on your saddle rails. Im not sure how long is the Easton clamp area though so Im not sure how big is the difference between a Thompson clamping area and a Easton EC90 (I assume) clamping area.

Correct me if Im wrong, but if I recall, Ti rails is much stronger then Cr-Mo. Im not sure what is the average american weight, but if you are not a heavy rider, then I dont think it will be much of a difference.

We are talking bout the saddle clamping area here right?
    i don't think you really want to know. i am saddened by this thought

mx

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by robbieracer
    I have had carbon bars on the trail bikes for 4years, zero problems.
    I have had carbon levers on my brakes for 3 years: zero problems.
    I have had carbon bodied forks for 2 years: zero problems.
    i hope the 5th year goes just as well for you

mx

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    wheelhot

on behalf of all on this ibis forum, please include the person's handle in your quotes.

thank you much!

mx

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    on behalf of all on this ibis forum, please include the person's handle in your quotes.
    Haha, well the person is one of the local riders in my area, he dont use forums, so no point telling
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

www.derbyrims.com
    derby, if you were i, would you go with the venerable thomson or the decidingly narrow easton clamped seatpost?

mx
    I'm not the one to ask. I've always been what is now called AM in ride interest since the day mountain bikes were rigid only, plus being 200 lbs, so I need heavy duty use durability over light weight components. I used Thompson for years since they started up with no problems. I thought they were light but now there is a lighter Thompson post version. Now I'm on a remote adjust height AMP seat post.

Better you ask XC type riders.

Members who have read this thread: 0