Mojo0115
    Nov 2004

new DW link licensee tomorrow.

Word has it that there will be an announcement tomorrow (eurobike) of who the new DW-link licensee will be, there will also be a new DH bike running DW Link next year.

Originally Posted by dw View Post
    I don't really have any info to add to the Diablo thing, but I can say that I did not license dw-link to Iron Horse after 2009, there is no option there. Pivot is showing a new Enduro class bike at Eurobike (Firebird) and tomorrow there will be a new dw-link licensee named. You can bet that there will be a dw-link DH bike available next season, just not from Iron Horse.

aka dan51
    Place yer bets:
    Specialized - NO
    Santa Cruz - NO
    Trek - NO
    Fisher - NO
    Giant - NO
    Jamis - maybe
    Turner - I hope so. The Turner forum should be fun then.
    Cannondale - maybe
    Titus - NO
    Ventana - NO
    Ellsworth - NO
    Yeti - NO
    Intense - NO

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by dan51
    Place yer bets:
    You forgot Norco
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I doubt it's Cannondale. Didn't they just come out with the Rize for 2009?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    What about Ibis?

sinner
    Jan 2007
    Check out the Turner Forum.

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by itchyjesus
    Check out the Turner Forum.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=448411

Lay off the Levers
    Hellllooooooo cousins!

Last edited by Bikezilla; 09-03-2008 at 01:56 PM.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Reviewer/Tester
    Holy Dooley! If this is true....I applaud DT's decision to go with the DW link...

R.
    It is inevitable ...

mtbr member
    Damn...a big, strategic, move by DT.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Holeshot
    What about Ibis?
    IBIS is DW link already.

mtbr member
    That DHR is ummm... I think I just cried a little... ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    wizzler is a must. although then it consumes all your waking and sleeping thoughts until you can return.

mtbr member
    Jeez, Turner riders already get all wet talking about their bikes. Is there any room to talk it up even more now?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Ow, I just wanted to create a thread about our new found cousin....

Oh well now we have some nice names in the DW-Link family, Ibis, Turner, Pivot and IH (I never really see IH bikes, anyone know why?)

Just something that I wonder, why do DT goes through the trouble of making a very odd shaped downtube and seat tube intersection?
    07 Giant Anthem 2 (Int'l Edition) | omartan.co.cc
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Hellllooooooo cousins!
    This is funny, I remember last year some time when it was one of the jokes going around. My buddy said he would quit being a Turner fanatic if it ever really happened. Now I can really have a good time ! http://www.turnerbikes.com/09flux.html
    Now, if he switches from bushings my buddy will drop dead on the spot.
    Btw,
    I heard a rumor that DT tried a Ibis Mojo for awhile and that had some impact on his final decision. So, I guess now if he makes a full carbon.....
    Last edited by ghawk; 09-04-2008 at 07:12 AM.

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelhot
    Just something that I wonder, why do DT goes through the trouble of making a very odd shaped downtube and seat tube intersection?
    IIRC the CNC block/trussed intersection tends to be stiffer than just butting the ST,BB & DT together. That's the theory anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by monkies
    Jeez, Turner riders already get all wet talking about their bikes. Is there any room to talk it up even more now?
    Now is that any way to treat family?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    IIRC the CNC block/trussed intersection tends to be stiffer than just butting the ST,BB & DT together. That's the theory anyway.
    Thanks for the info, how do you know its a CNC block?

Now is that any way to treat family?
    Welcome to the family! LOL
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

mtbr member
    Yeah all of them except the RFX...that RFX looks uber sweet though. If this dw link/turner thing is legit, that RFX would be my big mtn bike.

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by monkies
    Yeah all of them except the RFX...that RFX looks uber sweet though. If this dw link/turner thing is legit, that RFX would be my big mtn bike.
    Oh yes, it is Legit

The MTB Lab
    Looks like no chain slap! Heavy freakin frame of course, almost 1 pound more then a normal Mojo. I hope there might be one to see at Interbike. I will report back if I see one, would be real nice to ride one.

Has a cycling disorder
    Pivot Cycles are already on board with DW link...
    Frameskin™ Bike Protection Film
    www.frameskin.com
    Dirtsurfer™ Custom mudguards
    www.dirtsurfer.com.au

Lay off the Levers
    ...how do you know its a CNC block?
    Because you can't weld Lego.

Actually I recall reading it in their brochures and on their website at one time or another. They have used this method for many years.

Amphibious Technologies
    Welcome to the family! LOL
    Let's sing it; all together now:

We are family
    I got all my brothers with me
    We are family
    Get up ev'rybody and sing

Ev'ryone can see we're together
    As we ride on by
    And we fly just like birds of a feather
    I won't tell no lie

All the people around us they say
    “Can they be that close?”
    Just let me state for the record
    We're giving love in a family dose

www.derbyrims.com
    Wow… very very coooool!

That DHR is bad-azz!

Over 3 years ago I exclaimed no hesitation to buy a Turner 5 Spot with DW-Link. But now I have a big reservation. Besides Ibis beating him to it 3 years ago introducing the Mojo with the same 5 Spot geometry and DW-Link which sold me on buying one without demo riding first, now my long wish for about 27 inch wheels is a reality, so my next trail bike will have a legal DW-Link and fit 650b AM wheels.

I really look forward to riding the new Turners! The RFX looks like the ultimate big hit bike that can climb to the launches. And the versatile use 5dotSpot appears to be a full metal Mojo in every dimension in my large size (note the wide range of sizing!) and only a little over 1 pound heavier than the SL frame with the same shock and steel hardware, the suspension probably feels different with the sticky bushing pivots, but it appears to be very rising rate like the Mojo. Will it prove to be as durable?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Lol, bikezilla is funny, I don't know Lego now has that kind of pieces.

Me singing ~~~~
    We are family
    I got all my brothers with me
    We are family
    Get up ev'rybody and sing

Ev'ryone can see we're together
    As we ride on by
    And we fly just like birds of a feather
    I won't tell no lie

All the people around us they say
    “Can they be that close?”
    Just let me state for the record
    We're giving love in a family dose

~~~Comon everybody sing with us~~~
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

Trail Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by derby
    Wow… very very coooool!

That DHR is bad-azz!

Over 3 years ago I exclaimed no hesitation to buy a Turner 5 Spot with DW-Link. But now I have a big reservation. Besides Ibis beating him to it 3 years ago introducing the Mojo with the same 5 Spot geometry and DW-Link which sold me on buying one without demo riding first, now my long wish for about 27 inch wheels is a reality, so my next trail bike will have a legal DW-Link and fit 650b AM wheels.

I really look forward to riding the new Turners! The RFX looks like the ultimate big hit bike that can climb to the launches. And the versatile use 5dotSpot appears to be a full metal Mojo in every dimension in my large size (note the wide range of sizing!) and only a little over 1 pound heavier than the SL frame with the same shock and steel hardware, the suspension probably feels different with the sticky bushing pivots, but it appears to be very rising rate like the Mojo. Will it prove to be as durable?
    It looks like I'll be selling my med. Mojo frame. The Spot has the added BB height that I enjoy and need. XTR cranks and pedals sure took a beating. I'll stick with the present parts and have to deal with the added weight. The new Tracer looks good also, but the DW bike works so well.
    Don

Founder: Dirty3hirties

You know what this means.....

...all the homers will be over here now. Zilla already dropped in. HOMER INVASION! JK!

It's just funny cuz the rumormill on the Turner board some months back regarding Turner going DW wasn't taken seriously at all. Good job on DT's part for keeping this a surprise. Must have been really REALLY tough. since him and DW are on the boards all the time, they must have known it was going around. Must have really been tough to keep quiet. I'm sure both DT and DW are totally stoked about this.

Why is it that whenever Interbike comes around, my wallet starts to get excited.

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Quattro
    It looks like I'll be selling my med. Mojo frame. The Spot has the added BB height that I enjoy and need. XTR cranks and pedals sure took a beating. I'll stick with the present parts and have to deal with the added weight. The new Tracer looks good also, but the DW bike works so well.
    I hear your desire better pedal clearance on rough trails. But there is only a 1mm higher BB height with the 5.Spot compared to the Mojo according to the Turner specs posted. (Note that the Turner web site specs are using 2.3 inch tires.) I measure 13.3 inch BB height with 2.3 tires on my Mojo.

For more pedaling clearance and additional rolling and traction benefits a 650b front tire raises the front 1/2 inch and gives a somewhat better 13.5 inch BB height on my Mojo. Ideal for AM trail riding clearance would be 13.67. The RFX qualifies, but it's too heavy for very much hard climbing.

If the 5.Spot safely clears a 2.3 x 650b rear tire I'll buy one with no hesitation despite the sticky bushing pivot design compromise. An improved ball bearings design just as durable would weigh a few grams more. Maybe there’s some new super grease that would free the sticky bushing design up better now (I hate suspension stiction and other platform effects!) 650b wheels on the Mojo and 5.Spot would produce an ideal 13.65 to 13.75mm BB height combined with the ideal wheel size for AM riding. But the 5.Spot probably doesn't have enough clearance having the same 6.9 inch chain stay and seat post angles as the Mojo. My Mojo barely fits a 2.0 x 650b inch short knob XC race tire which is too light weight for my interests, although it's fine for most California conditions and has as much or more traction as a gnarly 2.3 x 26 inch tire. (The SL is reported to fit this tire easily with a shock with bottom travel reduced ¼ inch.)

Interesting times for Turner!

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by ddraewwg
    ...all the homers will be over here now. Zilla already dropped in.
    Whoot-whoot! a new place to post pictures of me falling off of stuff! Hurray!!!

j/k

Trail Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by derby
    I hear your desire better pedal clearance on rough trails. But there is only a 1mm higher BB height with the 5.Spot compared to the Mojo according to the Turner specs posted. (Note that the Turner web site specs are using 2.3 inch tires.) I measure 13.3 inch BB height with 2.3 tires on my Mojo.

For more pedaling clearance and additional rolling and traction benefits a 650b front tire raises the front 1/2 inch and gives a somewhat better 13.5 inch BB height on my Mojo. Ideal for AM trail riding clearance would be 13.67. The RFX qualifies, but it's too heavy for very much hard climbing.

If the 5.Spot safely clears a 2.3 x 650b rear tire I'll buy one with no hesitation despite the sticky bushing pivot design compromise. An improved ball bearings design just as durable would weigh a few grams more. Maybe there’s some new super grease that would free the sticky bushing design up better now (I hate suspension stiction and other platform effects!) 650b wheels on the Mojo and 5.Spot would produce an ideal 13.65 to 13.75mm BB height combined with the ideal wheel size for AM riding. But the 5.Spot probably doesn't have enough clearance having the same 6.9 inch chain stay and seat post angles as the Mojo. My Mojo barely fits a 2.0 x 650b inch short knob XC race tire which is too light weight for my interests, although it's fine for most California conditions and has as much or more traction as a gnarly 2.3 x 26 inch tire. (The SL is reported to fit this tire easily with a shock with bottom travel reduced ¼ inch.)

Interesting times for Turner!
    I missread the BB height on the Turner. I'm barely over 13 on my bike I might go with a longer fork(Mojo) or check out the new Tracer.
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by Quattro
    I missread the BB height on the Turner. I'm barely over 13 on my bike I might go with a longer fork(Mojo) or check out the new Tracer.

That doesn't seem right at all. What fork are you running?

Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla

j/k
    When I said "dropped in".....I didn't mean it literally.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Lol, well as long you can keep riding I guess its okay???
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

Singletrack Addict!!!
    Crap!!! I just finished my Norcal bike vacation and was gooing to start saving for the next one Colorado, and now this....... Turner finally goes DWL...... get ready credit card......

Singletrack Addict!!!
    Hmmmm... I think I know what Sam Hill will be racing next..... if He has not signed with any other company yet.....

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Hmmmm... I think I know what Sam Hill will be racing next..... if He has not signed with any other company yet.....
    Im guessing...Turner?
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

... and if we just ...

From the dt interview at eurobike.
    Everyone at Turner that has ridden the 650b wheel size loves it, but that is on the back burner until a major fork maker makes a fork that will work safely with that wheel size. Sometimes I think about bringing back the Nitrous, but then I think about how small the XC race market is, at least in the United States.
    I am quite amused by the dw link news. There are allot of dt loyal followers grinding their teeth. Including a couple of my riding buddies.
    Btw, the Moj SL (at least the first production runs, seeing how I have only tested a particular painted sl) will allready fit a neo moto on a ztr rim for "TESTING" this is with height machining of the lugs; but will fit a smaller Quasi Moto tire unmodified (also for testing only [warranty voider alert] till the moj 650b swingarm comes out) then again, it is too small for anything beyond xcountry for many riders.
    As Derby stated above Moj 650b will be the bb height solution for some folks for the best all around riding bike in the world.
    I would imagine that as far ahead of the design curve as Ibis is in the bike industry, they will have a 26/650b compatible swingarm for full time use ahead of most.
    I must say, the pivots look very well done on the new DT bikes, and I can't wait to try these american made machines. http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=448411&page=10 Now, back to testing.
    Last edited by glovemtb; 09-05-2008 at 09:17 AM.

The MTB Lab
    Having a DW Link does not mean you have a good bike, it still comes down to the design of the bike on top of the DW Link and it's design and interaction with the bike. Carbon just makes a sweet bike, much like Titanium does. I am not a big fan of the feel of Al, at least in regards to the front triangle. Until I get to ride the new bikes I can't make any assumptions. The Iron Horse MKIII closely felt like a Mojo, but it was no Mojo.

The MTB Lab
    Good blurb in
    http://bikemag.com/features/onlineex...link-for-2009/ on the DW Link Turner

What caught my eye was the chance to get to test in a couple weeks "The U.S. market will get its first taste of the new bikes at the Dirt Demo at Interbike, by which time Turner will have orders ready to ship from his Murrieta, California, facility."

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    You know what, it states the DT and DW worked on the new 09 Turners for 1-2 years, I wonder does that mean IH already knew they are not going to be able to use DW for 09 or it was a sudden change of suspension?
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

mtbr member
    I have a feeling Turner may keep the 650B in mind when designing some of the frames but not state that they are. The Turners are certainly appealing with their geometry, durability, and reputaion of ride and CS and will be even more direct competition for Ibis and Pivot, the two of which have enjoyed the market lately. Turner's lineup is pretty significant too since all the models are now DWL models.

I doubt Ibis will just rest (and I'm sure they have been working on at least one other model) but things just got really competitive all of a sudden. We can expect to see some cool bikes coming out.

Members who have read this thread: 0