mtbr member
    Mar 2004

New bearings or new links?

Just had a quick check over my Ibis Mojo SL that I have had for just over a year to find that the rear end is pretty flexy, which seems to be due to play in the linkage bearings. Having a quick look around it appears that you replace the linkages - is that right?

I've checked the bolts and none of them are loose so it is not that - so time to replace the bearings/linkages. I had a Heckler before and changing the bearings was a doddle. How easy is it with the Mojo?

flow where ever you go
    Quote Originally Posted by dreednya
    Just had a quick check over my Ibis Mojo SL that I have had for just over a year to find that the rear end is pretty flexy, which seems to be due to play in the linkage bearings. Having a quick look around it appears that you replace the linkages - is that right?

I've checked the bolts and none of them are loose so it is not that - so time to replace the bearings/linkages. I had a Heckler before and changing the bearings was a doddle. How easy is it with the Mojo?
    Replacing the bearings is not too bad if you have, or make, a bearing extractor. I made one from a bolt, nuts, and washers that does the job. You can get high quality replacement bearings from Endurobearings. I've had bearings get gritty, but no side to side play that I've ever seen.

Ibis now makes a stiffer lower link, so that may help. Replacing the linkages is easy. If you get new links, pull off the seals and see if there is room to pack grease before you install.
    Last edited by noshortcuts; 10-24-2010 at 08:21 PM.

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

flow where ever you go

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

Founder: Dirty3hirties
    Why do you think the bearings are the caused for the "flex"? What's wrong with them? Personally, I think you're barking up the wrong tree. The bearings may be shot (frozen, gritty, etc) but I don't see how that leads to flex.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ddraewwg
    Why do you think the bearings are the caused for the "flex"? What's wrong with them? Personally, I think you're barking up the wrong tree. The bearings may be shot (frozen, gritty, etc) but I don't see how that leads to flex.
    I think he said "flex", but was referring to movement.
    milesW

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I think he said "flex", but was referring to movement.
    Yup I meant a sideways movement and also a clunking noise. Thanks for the link for the enduro bearings and the step by step guide to replacing them .

I see from the link how to re-grease the bearings as well so would I need to remove the links to re-lube the bearings or can that be done while still on the bike?

mtbr member
    May 2007

new link removes lateral "play"

I just replaced the lower link after tracking down the source of new lateral play in the rear triangle. It wasnt the upper link (even after discovering and then tightening the loose bolts (eek!)), wasnt a glue failure in either of the inserts for the lower link, but when I removed the lower link I immediately saw shot bearings at the front and rear - leading to lateral movement of the rear triangle.

New link fixed it. The new link seems to have more metal left in it (vis a vis the OEM), and the bearings dont permit any lateral movement

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sadgit
    I just replaced the lower link after tracking down the source of new lateral play in the rear triangle. It wasnt the upper link (even after discovering and then tightening the loose bolts (eek!)), wasnt a glue failure in either of the inserts for the lower link, but when I removed the lower link I immediately saw shot bearings at the front and rear - leading to lateral movement of the rear triangle.

New link fixed it. The new link seems to have more metal left in it (vis a vis the OEM), and the bearings dont permit any lateral movement
    What year is your Mojo ? Also, could you post some pics of the OEM link and the replacement link ?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    All the bearings has a lot of play in them, so all were replaced and now no side to side movement of the rear triangle

mtbr member
    May 2007

Will post pictures if I find time/remember... But I took delivery in June 2007.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sadgit
    Will post pictures if I find time/remember... But I took delivery in June 2007.
    Soooooo... you have an '07 Mojo that you just replaced the links on ? If your link was an '07 link then I'd imagine you replaced it with a Lopes Link which should be a bigger and stouter link.

mtbr member
    May 2007

no...

Quote Originally Posted by Ob1Hoagie
    Soooooo... you have an '07 Mojo that you just replaced the links on ? If your link was an '07 link then I'd imagine you replaced it with a Lopes Link which should be a bigger and stouter link.

But here we are talking about the LOWER (non-lopes) link - and the potential for very worn bearings in that link to be a source of lateral play. The lopes link is the UPPER link that replaced a two piece connection for the shock/rear triangle. You cant replace a LOWER link with an UPPER link!

However, and this is a completely unrelated point to my post about shot bearings in the LOWER link, I did add a lopes link a year ago.

Members who have read this thread: 0