Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mtbr member

New 2010 Easton Haven wheels, pics and review, longer read

If you're looking for a nice set of light, wide, and stiff wheels for your Mojo look no further. Just picked up a set of the 2010 Easton Haven wheels and man do they rock.

I'm about 6'2" and weigh around 180 pounds now. I run tubeless with Stans latex at around 32 PSI on High Volume 600 gram 2.4 tires and ride: xc, aggressive trail and a little all mountain. Trails like JMP in Oakland, Annadel, Tamarancho, Santa Cruz, and Rockville all in the bay area, CA.

I've been riding Spinergy Xyclone discs for some time now and had been looking for a set of new wheels. The Spinergys were good wheels that could be had for a bargain used. 1700 grams and pretty strong but had a very narrow rim and they were quite flexy. What made matters worse is that I was running 2.4 high volume tires on them. The Spinergy is rated at 23mm outside diameter which probably equals about a 18-19mm inner diameter and are only rated for 2.1 tires. The WTB MutanoRaptor 2.4's are only about 600 grams but are quite bulbous and didn't seem to do very good on the skinny wheel, which only added to the flexy feel I would get from these wheels. Landing drops, picking lines through rocks, cornering and being able to point the bike where I wanted it to go were all problems with the Spinergy/mutano 2.4 combo.

Well finally I found a set of wheels that fit all my needs;

1. Fairly light, need good acceleration and momentum out of my wheels
    2. Wide rim, I run bigger tires and need a wider rim to keep the tire from flexing on the wheel and taking on a crappy profile
    3. Stiff and stout, don't' want noodly spokes and a flexy rim, need something stiff and responsive that will last.
    4. Able to take a 15mm through axle and also a 9mm Quick release, I'm running a 9mm QR right now but as soon as funds allow I'm upgrading to a newer fork with the 15mm QR through axle.

These wheels fit all 4 criteria;

1. These wheels at 1650 grams are quite light for aggressive trail riding. I put them on the scale and they were exactly 1700 but thats with the valves and the 9mm adaptor which is where the extra 50 grams comes from, then again not having to use any rim tape for tubeless is nice and offsets it.
    2. 21mm Internal width, which is about a 27mm outside diameter, way wider than most rims at this weight level. My 2.4 tire feels like a total different tire now, it seems to of taken a better shape on the wider wheel giving way more feel and confidence through turns.
    3. These wheels are 24 spoke count, they use higher spoke tension on these wheels making them stiffer, as well the rim seems to be stout and the hubs as well, they feel light years more stable than the spinergys ever could of dreamed of.
    4. They were designed around the 15mm QR axle, they come with the 9mm adaptor in case you are not using a 15qr fork, which I'm not, yet.

"Wow" so this is what a bike is supposed to feel like was all I could think lwhen I went up to Annadel park in Santa Rosa, CA for my second ride since swapping wheels. This is by far one of my favorite trails in the entire bay area. Lots of fast descents, some smooth with roots,others very rocky. They all cover a good amount of distance, did a 22 mile loop which involves a fair amount of climbing, nothing too steep but again lots of rocks.

On the climbs the wheels felt like the spinergy's which were always nimble and accelerated quickly, the wheels never gave a soggy feel and the bike never feels like its trying to slow down on its own. I did notice however when really powering on the cranks that the rear of the bike felt less squishy and flexy. Felt like I was putting down a little bit more power to the ground due the more stiff nature of the new wheel, and tire profile. I also noticed at the same PSI the tire now feels more stiff and while it still has good cushion in the lower 30's PSI, it didn't feel wallowy or not planted.

The 2.4 tire has such a better profile now that its mounted on a wider rim. I have much more confidence going into fast turns as the tire doesn't feel like its rolling off of the rim, as well the entire bike suddenly feels much more firm and rigid. With the stiffer wheel I can float through the chop and the bike holds its line with way more authority, picking a line is now much more confidence inspiring and I can turn much more quickly. Landing drops the bike feels so solid and planted, nothing more than some simple jumps but at one point you can launch a kicker and land sideways onto a burm built up on a wooden stick bridge. If you're going fast enough you land sidewaysz slightly into a berm hard. For the first time the Mojo just felt planted, no more oh **** moment.

Needless to say but they are works of art, the hub is simply amazing from the outside with its champagne finish and CNC machining. Whats nice about it is that it isn't really loud, it sounds very smooth but still with retains positive "clicks". I'm not sure on how many pawls, or how fast the engagement is, it feels good but I believe they are likely average around 30-40 points of engagement if I had to guess The front Hub is seamless and spins effortlessly like butter, you don't hear or feel anything when you freely spin the front wheel. I can't wait to convert my fork over to the 15mm QR axle to take full advantage of the rigidity the front hub has to offer. As time goes on we will see how sturdy these hubs are and how easy they are to maintain, I've yet to hear any problems about Eastons hubs, hopefully that rings true for these as well.

The rim itself seems to be nice, they are UST and you don't have to use ANY rim tape or anything tp go tubeless, mount any kind of tire you want, add a lil Stans Latex and the pump right up with compressed air and seat with a "ping". Much, much easier than using the rim tape and universal valves or the Stans rubber strap with valve trying to get non UST wheels to seat and seal.

As well the wheels are hand built, with only 24 spokes, with a lower spoke count so Easton has to raise the tension of each spoke. They make sure all the spokes are evenly tension by hand. I can't say the wheel is absolutely %100 true but I know that all of the tensions are spot on which is what is important. I do understand that the drawback of the 24 spoke is that if you break one the rim comes much more easily out of whack since you have less spokes to hold it together. The benefits seems to be a stiff wheel with less weight. I like . Apparently Easton uses some new eyelet/rim interface which acts like a turnbuckle allowing them to make a lighter rim that is still as strong.

I'm still not really digging the big flashy letters on the wheel, I think they are clear coated over so my idea of heating them up and peeling them off won't work, its starting to grow on me but I'm not a big fan of the advertisement.

I'm totally stoked on these wheels, I don't have a lot of time on comparably stiff wheels, so I can'[t really say that they are much better than other comparable wheels on the market. They do run standard DT double butted spokes though and can be true'd like a normal wheel. As well for the weight, you don't find any other wheelsets out there that are as wide, yet still stiff for under 1700 grams. I really think Easton hit the nail on the head offering this package.
    Last edited by Yody; 11-16-2009 at 10:34 PM.

mtbr member
    Nice wheels.....I just bought Eastons road wheels and like them a lot. Nice bike as well!!!
    Just ride and quit bit$hin.......Yeti SB5+..SIR9 SS...CD Synapse DA...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    If the front hub can't take a 20mm axel then I wouldn't consider them as all mountain wheels.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by d3toid
    If the front hub can't take a 20mm axel then I wouldn't consider them as all mountain wheels.
    Thats nice, but where did I say it was an All Mountain wheel? I doubt you'll find a "real" AM wheel that weighs 1650 grams, none the less really want one unless your idea of All Mountain is really just XC

BTW, I believe they are working on a 20mm adapter, not %100 confirmed though, but it doesn't matter to me as I'll be going with a fox QR15 fork

If they don't release a 20mm option though, I think they'll be shooting themselves in the foot considering how popular through axle's are these days.

mtbr member
    They lok amazing. I have the Easton XC Ones on my mojo. Too small for the typ of riding I do. This looks perfect.

Erik

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Nice Wheels

You will never forget they are Easton Haven wheels, neither will the person next to you, or the person one mile away who can read the letters on the side of the rim.

They sound nice, I think wider rims are then next big thing. Go pugsly!

mtbr member
    yeah like I said, I'm not a big fan of the advertisement.

mtbr member
    So I've put more than a handful of rides on these wheels and on the last really rocky ride I swore I noticed a little bit of play in the rear wheel. When I got home I put the bike upside down and grabbed the wheel. If I rocked it back and forth I could feel just a hair of movement.

So I took the wheel off the bike and took a look at the rear hub. What I found is that these hubs have a nicely crafted bearing preload adjuster. I think when these wheels were shipped out they were just on the cusp of being loose. Just about an 1/8 of a turn took out the slack yet they still spun beautifully. Nice feature.

YRTRNRSHVY
    Apr 2004
    Wow, those hubs are beautiful.

Why do you run 32psi? I run stans on my 2.25 Maxxis Ardent tires and run 27 on rocky trails and have no rim damage at all.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lemmy999
    Wow, those hubs are beautiful.

Why do you run 32psi? I run stans on my 2.25 Maxxis Ardent tires and run 27 on rocky trails and have no rim damage at all.
    I weigh 180 pounds how much do you weigh? 27 feels a little too low for me, makes the tire feel likes its "swimming"

YRTRNRSHVY
    Apr 2004
    I am 170 without gear. I haven't noticed that feeling, but if I did, I would definitely run more pressure. I know a really fast racer that has a 29r with UST wheels and he runs 17psi. I guess UST being stiffer helps reduce that "swimming" feeling.

mtbr member
    Nice wheels. I like the graphics. That bike is way too clean though.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lemmy999
    I am 170 without gear. I haven't noticed that feeling, but if I did, I would definitely run more pressure. I know a really fast racer that has a 29r with UST wheels and he runs 17psi. I guess UST being stiffer helps reduce that "swimming" feeling.
    I might try lowering the pressure now that the tire is on the correct size wheel, but on the other hand having the high volume tire already makes it feel like its running less pressure even with 32 in it, if that makes any sense. It is something I've been thinking about

Oh and 17psi??? lol, I bet the UST helps but still!

On a sidenote, I've found recommendations on Internet PSI to be useless. I'd bet almost %95 of peoples flloor pump guages are completely whack. I've compared mine and a few friends pump guages against my calibrated motorcycle guage and most pumps I've seen seem to run 6psi high. But I've seen them all across the board. Really I pump mine up to 38 on my JoeBlowPro pump because I know it reads 6 psi high.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Giggity
    Nice wheels. I like the graphics. That bike is way too clean though.

KevinK
    Jul 2005
    Beautiful wheels Yodi! Do you by chance have the individual weights for the front and back wheels? Thanks again,

Kevin

mtbr member
    No sorry I don't. I thought about that after the fact, was too excited to get them on

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Do they use the dual-threading design that the other Easton wheels use? Oh wait, I just read it again and it says they use DT spokes, that's a good move.

We just had a customer with 12month old XC Ones that had a busted spoke with the twin-thread desing, and was a PITA to get out, since it had broken at the hub and we had to use a heat gun on the hub flange to warm up the loctite before we even got it out, long story...

From other threads on here about Easton MTB wheels, there doesn't seem to be a lot of love, interesting to see how much they're changing with these wheels.

I'm not sure I completely understand your theory with using less spokes for more tension - does that mean a wheel with 20 spokes would be stiffer again?

How much do these wheels cost and how much did you have to pay for them, if at all?

mtbr member
    I'm not an engineer, so I won't play one but as far as I can tell they use less spokes to save weight and to make up for the lack of stifness they use higher tension which they can do because of their special turnbuckle at the npple/rim interface. As well this turnbuckle also seems to allow them to have a lighter rim that still can be stiff. That's my take on it, not guaranteed to be %100 corrext

As far as price goes I get good deals at my LBS, not really sure what you are trying to imply? I wrote a great review because I'm thoroughly happy, trust me if they turn out to be crap down the road ill be the first to say something. I just happened to be searchig for the right type of wheel for awhile now and am stoked to have these, if u couldnlt tell already, ha!

Loosen up a bit.
    Last edited by Yody; 11-21-2009 at 12:32 AM.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I don't know if we should trust a review from somebody with such a clean bike.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon
    Yeah, I don't know if we should trust a review from somebody with such a clean bike.....
    Haha, don't trust guys with the clean bikes, they don't really clean them they just get new ones for free after every ride!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Yeah apologies if that came across as a bit cynical, just trying to figure out how using less spokes makes a stiffer wheel - that may just be Easton's marketing on that one.

For sure if they're using a new design process on the rim that makes it stiffer than comparable rims at the same weight, then that's cool.

But I doubt that using fewer spokes makes the wheel any stiffer. From my experience, generally low-spoke wheels are noticeably less stiff than conventional 32 or 36 spoked wheels. Then again, I'm no engineer either!

mtbr member
    I might of worded it incorrectly. I think that they can make up for the fact that it has less spokes by running more tension. The nipple is some sort of turnbuckle system that allowas them to achieve higher tension and also makes the rim lighter than other 24 spoke system.

KevinK
    Jul 2005
    Yody, curious, what is the total weight of your bike? Those hubs are addicting, so beautiful!!! Just keep looking at them!! Went to the Easton site and watched their video, pretty high quality control. Very impressive!, and their factory is really close to my house, less than five miles!!!

mtbr member
    27.3 pounds, its an X-large. Not a light weight but then again it pedals very nicely. I could lose some more weight here and there but everything I have now works really well

They definitely are eye candy!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Willy
    We just had a customer with 12month old XC Ones that had a busted spoke with the twin-thread desing, and was a PITA to get out, since it had broken at the hub and we had to use a heat gun on the hub flange to warm up the loctite before we even got it out, long story...

From other threads on here about Easton MTB wheels, there doesn't seem to be a lot of love, interesting to see how much they're changing with these wheels.
    i've got a basement full of easton road wheels that need to be sold. after dealing with the same broken spoke issue as willy describes, i have no interest in ever doing it again. something just so simple and functional about j bend spokes.

hey, anyone want to buy some easton road wheels? haha.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by roseyscot
    i've got a basement full of easton road wheels that need to be sold. after dealing with the same broken spoke issue as willy describes, i have no interest in ever doing it again. something just so simple and functional about j bend spokes.

hey, anyone want to buy some easton road wheels? haha.

Now that they've gone away from the ill-advised spokes threaded at the hub, I doubt anybody will be having that sort of spoke breakage headache any more. J-Bends are great because they allow a bit of "swivel" at the head in response mainly to braking torque.... "normal" straight pull spokes do the same thing, as well as being stronger than J-Bends thanks to the elimination of the bend. I9 wheels are awfully sexy, but I have to wonder when (not if) that "spoke threads at the hub" issue is gonna come home to roost for guys who ride them hard and for a long time.
    I think Easton's taking the high road by spec'ing good ole butted stainless spokes with a hub that uses the standard straight pull variety....those Haven's look like the sh!t for guys who want a light but solid wheel with a wide footprint.... I had just about decided to pick up a deeply discounted set of Havoc's, which I might do still....but dang... the new stuff is enticing....

mtbr member
    Says the 20mm is on the way, and explains the turnbuckle setup a lil more;

http://www.vitalmtb.com/videos/featu...,516/sspomer,2

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Just adding my two cents but I do talk with the folks at Easton often enough and in the new year they will be releasing a set with the 20mm front hub.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Element 22
    Just adding my two cents but I do talk with the folks at Easton often enough and in the new year they will be releasing a set with the 20mm front hub.
    Hmm, in the video they mention a new adaptor, as well the hub looks big enough for a 20mm but then again I haven't looked too closely?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I can't seem to find any info on what type of axle the rear hub uses, is it a normal QR or 10mm QR?

mtbr member
    I thought they were all 5mmQR and that you could opt do a 10mm Bolt through on some wheels.
    Last edited by Yody; 12-09-2009 at 12:33 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    That's what I had though as well, but I can't find it confirmed anywhere. I run my bike singlespeed and a normal QR just won't cut it in my horizontal dropouts. Need to be able to use a 10mm thru bolt. Here's hoping it is 10mm because these wheels are perfect in every other way haha.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucwil
    That's what I had though as well, but I can't find it confirmed anywhere. I run my bike singlespeed and a normal QR just won't cut it in my horizontal dropouts. Need to be able to use a 10mm thru bolt. Here's hoping it is 10mm because these wheels are perfect in every other way haha.
    Just give them a call, they're pretty helpful once you get patched through to the right department. I've read the Havocs can convert easily to the 10mm bolt through so I dont' see why these would be any different.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I called Easton yesterday, at this point the Haven rear hub is 5mm QR only, not convertable to a 10mm QR or thru bolt. Apparently they are working on a 10mm option for the hubs in the near future, but i'm not sure if that will be a kit to convert the current hubs or a new version of the hub that has a 10mm axle built in.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucwil
    I called Easton yesterday, at this point the Haven rear hub is 5mm QR only, not convertable to a 10mm QR or thru bolt. Apparently they are working on a 10mm option for the hubs in the near future, but i'm not sure if that will be a kit to convert the current hubs or a new version of the hub that has a 10mm axle built in.
    Ah, sucks to hear.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Yody
    I'm not an engineer, so I won't play one but as far as I can tell they use less spokes to save weight and to make up for the lack of stifness they use higher tension which they can do because of their special turnbuckle at the npple/rim interface. As well this turnbuckle also seems to allow them to have a lighter rim that still can be stiff. That's my take on it, not guaranteed to be %100 corrext

As far as price goes I get good deals at my LBS, not really sure what you are trying to imply? I wrote a great review because I'm thoroughly happy, trust me if they turn out to be crap down the road ill be the first to say something. I just happened to be searchig for the right type of wheel for awhile now and am stoked to have these, if u couldnlt tell already, ha!

Loosen up a bit.
    Higher spoke tension does not mean a stiffer wheel unless the wheels to begin with were under tensioned. On lower spoke wheels you have to use higher spoke tension because the hub is anchored by fewer points. Typically when you use less spokes you typically use a stronger/heavier rim due to the increased spoke tension. You aren't going to be any faster from less spokes but, you might be slower from a heavier rim. I've never ridden their MTB wheels but, I've ridden their road wheels and their road wheels are very soft...

mtbr member
    I have no experience with Easton's road wheels, but I agree 100% with everything else Woogie said. My "lightest feeling" wheels are a backup set I built from parts laying around with 32 straight gauge 14ga spokes (not light at all) laced to a very lightweight older mavic rim (sub 400gm).... they've been solid as hell, and spin up very fast. I used to run something like this with 1.8/1.5 butted w/ allow nipples, but they were less stiff and required more tweaking so I just went cheap on the rebuild and they've been great..... anyway, I'm rambling, but it's a good example of how keeping the weight away from the rims makes for a quicker accelerating wheel.
    Having said all that.... those Havens still look trick! I'm like a raccoon I guess...fascinated by shiny things...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by woogie11
    Higher spoke tension does not mean a stiffer wheel unless the wheels to begin with were under tensioned. On lower spoke wheels you have to use higher spoke tension because the hub is anchored by fewer points. Typically when you use less spokes you typically use a stronger/heavier rim due to the increased spoke tension. You aren't going to be any faster from less spokes but, you might be slower from a heavier rim. I've never ridden their MTB wheels but, I've ridden their road wheels and their road wheels are very soft...
    Yes my uninformed a$$ composed my post wrong, what I think I should of said is that since they only have 24 spokes they have to increase spoke tension to create a stiff wheel. They also claim that through some kind of engineering that has to do withe the nipple turnbuckle interface that they have achieved the lightest rim on the market that is as wide. So in this case I think they found a way around the heavier rim.

I'm no wheel expert as you can see so feel free to correct me, I'd like to know more for sure!

mtbr member
    I think what you said made perfect sense, just got misconstrued by some folks.... lower spoke count doesn't make a stiffer wheel, but higher spoke tension does (within limits of course). Give us some long term reports later on.

mtbr member
    I've put a couple hundred miles on these wheels now in a variety of conditions including mud and frequent bike washes, plenty of smaller drops and jumps, rocky trails etc, wheels still spin true, no problems whatsoever. Still feel great. As well I've changed tires multiple times and every set has setup within minutes on these wheels. No soap or water needed, just slap the tire on, fill it with some stans, air it up, shake a lil, done, air tight. Literally takes me just as long as changing a tube.

Not a lot of time yet on them but so far so good.

Here's the latest tire combo, a lil heavier but should grab even better (and yes I'm still on the noodily 9mm QR, just can't afford a 15mmTA fork yet )

WTB Prowler MX 2.3 up front at 860 grams and a WTB Mutanoraptor 2.24 on the rear at 800 grams, suprisingly even with the added .7 of a pound, the bike still pedals very nicely

Last edited by Yody; 01-11-2010 at 11:28 AM.

mtbr member
    Well talked to Easton today as I wanted find out about the 20mm throughaxle adapter. Unfortunately they are only coming out with a different front wheel with a different hub with bigger bearings etc for the 20mm (like one person mentioned earlier in the thread). So it looks like I have to run the new Fox 150mm QR15 instead of a PUSH'd Revelation. Not the end of the world but I was leaning more towards the Revelation.....

Other than that the wheels are still going strong; smooth as butter, straight as an arrow

mtbr member
    huh... never mind. I should learn to read all the post first!
    Last edited by Black RONIN; 01-09-2010 at 07:51 PM.

Always Learning
    Other than that the wheels are still going strong; smooth as butter, straight as an arrow
    Great follow up. I appreciate it as I've been following this thread since you first posted.

A couple of questions. Do the wheels come with some sort of tape (such as the yellow tape from NoTubes.com), or is no tape needed? Is there or was there an instruction booklet on how to service or do maintenance on the hubs (adjustments, etc...)?

Thanks.

BB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown
    Great follow up. I appreciate it as I've been following this thread since you first posted.

A couple of questions. Do the wheels come with some sort of tape (such as the yellow tape from NoTubes.com), or is no tape needed? Is there or was there an instruction booklet on how to service or do maintenance on the hubs (adjustments, etc...)?

Thanks.

BB

Funny you mention the follow up, just did a one day death ride of 40 miles in San Luis Obispo and was totally fatigued, landed a stupid jump and took a digger into the bushes. Burped a lot of air (like 10-15 PSI and now the wheel is slightly out of true, nothing major, should true back up easily, its just slightly out of round. Considering how hard I dug my front wheel into the side of the berm I'm lucky it wasn't taco'd.

The rims are UST so there is no tape whatsoever, just slap any tire on, puts some latex in it and inflate

Disappointed that there were no instructions, but I've found they're easy to get ahold of on the phone FWIW

mtbr member
    Also if everything goes right I should be running them with the 15mmta like they were intended for

mtbr member
    I just got an e-mail back from easton (just a couple hours after I sent one) that said the 20mm version of the havens will be available in February

Yody, you've done a good job selling those wheels. You should get a comission. But now I'm worried my bike will look too much like yours, especially since I ride at Annadel all the time
    功夫大师喜欢骑着他的自行车在山上。

mtbr member

Took the Rear Hub Apart Today

Took the rear hub apart today to sevice it since I've been riding in some mud lately and washing the bike a lot. The entire thing came apart very easily, the only problem I've been having lately is that it seems the rear hub adjuster comes loose over time and I can feel a little play in the wheel develop. There seems to be an axle cap that should torque down to hold it in place but it bottoms out before it can reach the adjuster. I'm going to call Easton and ask them about it next week.

cool thread...

keep it up. let us know how the rear hub "play" turns out.

Porch
    "If we were Vikings, Rocky Mountain aspen stands would be our Vahalla and its singletrack our bounty" - Mtn Flyer Mag #14

mtbr member
    Looks like they still have 30 points of engagement. I thought they would of upped that compared to the XC one's and Havocs.

Erik

mtbr member
    Yeah probably, doesn't bother me one bit though, and I ride in plenty of technical stuff. Then again I've never had a super high engagement hub so maybe I Don;t know what I'm missing. I do know that most of the high engagement hubs that I've seen are loud as hell. That for me far outweighs any positive you could get. I hate loud hubs.

mtbr member
    If anyone is shopping for them hit up http://spokesmanbicycles.com/index.cfm in Santa Cruz, I believe he stocks them, is a Easton dealer, and has good pricing on them. Top notch customer service and highly recommended.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

... and if we just ...

I just picked up a set of Easton Havens last night . This will be my first time using a tubeless setup. With the UST tubeless setup can you pop in a tube in the field if you need to? Do you recommend Stan's, Slime or somethinging else? I appreciate your detailed and ongoing write up. It played a factor in my purchase. I hope I enjoy them as much as you have.

mtbr member
    Oh I'm still enjoying htem, totally happy and I've been riding through the mud like every day for the past 6 weeks with no issues

Yes you can pop in a tube no problem, you just peel back one side of the tire, take off the UST valve,and put the tube in. Just the other day I got a puncture in my rear tire and it didn't seal. I took off one side of the tire and either all my stans dried up or it leaked out so I had throw a tube in, no big deal at all.

I recommend only using Stans Latex. Some people like this stuff called Cafe Latex but I've had nothing but bad results with it. Stans seems to be the only latex that has this "grit" in it. It helps seals punctures while the other brands might setup well but when you get a cut or pinhole in the tire the other kinds don't seal it. Stans seals punctures really really well.

You're gonna love those wheels!

mtbr member
    Rear hub developed a little play again, I talked to the Easton Rep and he is sending me out new preload adjusters for free which is quite courteous of him. He said that he had not heard of this issue ever with this newer design that they have been using. I think I'll put just a tiny bit of loctite on the threads to create more friction when I put the new adjusters on.

nice service on Easton's part....

....let us know if the new adjusters do the trick.

I ran across a set of the 29er wheels today in my LBS. Super sweet wheels.

Let's hope Easton bumps up the rear hub to feature more points to compete with other high end hubs. For that kind of money I'd like to see approx 70ish POE.

Be good.

- Porch -
    "If we were Vikings, Rocky Mountain aspen stands would be our Vahalla and its singletrack our bounty" - Mtn Flyer Mag #14

mtbr member
    Personally I'm not so worried about contact points past 30-40. I just don't see what the hype is all about and I ride plenty of technical stuff. I suppose once you have em though you might not want to go backwards?

I was just looking for more factory info on the POE. I haven't actually found an official quote yet. Anyway, don't get me wrong I'd love to try a pair on my next dream bike. But I do like the quick hubs, on the flip-side I would like to try a quiet hub.

Porch

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Had my first ride today on my new Haven's. I'm running the 15QR setup on my '09 Tracer with Mountain King 2.4 UST. First off, the conversion from 9mm to 15QR was pretty simple. The tires seated up easily with just my floor pump. Of course, I added a little Stan's just for extra insurance. I'm running both ends at about 26 psi. Also, a quck adjustment of the Elixir calipers and the thru-axle tension, and all was well on the install.

The wheels spin very freely on the sealed bearings, though the pre-load caps are a nice touch for removing any play that may develop. On the ride, the wheels felt great! They spin up incredibly fast and just feel nice. They are stiff, yet not harsh. They felt very solid on whatever I through at them. They railed the turns, changed direction quickly with little effort, and took some nice bumps and jumps easily, including a few 3' drops to flats. Climbing was a no brainer, aside from my wimpy conditioning after a long, cold, wet winter season here in Georgia. Nothing but excellent feedback from the wheelset. I did have one tiny "ping" from a spoke settling about a quarter mile in.

All in all, about 15 miles on them today. Even though it was just a first ride, I'm thinking these are going to be one awesome set of rims for aggressive trail and light all-mountain riding. FYI, I weigh about 175 with cold weather gear, and keep the Tracer in 6" travel mode all the time.

B2

Tires?

Can you run non tubelss tires with stans on these wheels? Does the tire beed hook up well. A shop guy told me the Havens would only work with a very few tubeless tires, and suggested I buy stans wheels instead. P.S. I'm looking @ the 29er wheels.

mtbr member
    I've yet to run any real UST tires on my Havens and do not have a problem. I've found people who say you can't run non-UST tires on UST wheels ore even normal wheels at that usually don't have much experience with tubeless.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Haven't tried non-UST tires on the Havens. As easily as the UST Mountain Kings sealed up with just a floor pump, I would guess decent non-UST tires would work fine with some Stans. I have ran non-UST Kenda Nevegals (folding bead) on both Mavic Crosstrails and Shimano XT WH-M775's, both UST rims, and hand only very minor issues getting them to seal up. They held air fine after the initial seal, and I never had a burping / leaking issue. I did have to use my compressor to get enough pressure to seat the bead in both cases. I also ran some Specialized Captains 2Bliss on both sets of rims with no issues when using some Stans.

mtbr member
    All 4 tires pictured in this thread are non-UST, just regular tires

Hey Yody...

Have you received the new adjusters? If so did they do the trick?

Thanks,

Proch

mtbr member
    Yeah I got it, took the entire bike apart tho since it was getting so messed up from constant riding in the mud, also sent the shock back to PUSH to get it even softer than before, wont' be for a few weeks until I can get it going again.

mtbr member

havens on my Moots

The Havens look nice on Ti bikes...check them out on my Moots cinco

Haven't seen how they perform yet, I'll test them in the Marin dust soon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New 2010 Easton Haven wheels, pics and review, longer read-dscn2138mod.jpg  

New 2010 Easton Haven wheels, pics and review, longer read-dscn2133mod.jpg  

mtbr member
    You ride that bike on the road a lot?

mtbr member
    Only on the road to get to the trails

I happened to just also convert from a set of 2002 Spinergy Xyclones, and they had a super narrow rim, so i am running fairly skinny tires

I guess I better get some bulkier tires to make best use of the havens

mtbr member

mtbr member
    I ordered a set with the 20mm hub from my LBS yesterday. Their Easton rep said that they WILL NOT be coming out with a 20mm option?!? As they wanted to differentiate between the Havoc and the Haven. I was floored. I had been saving up for a set of these wheels with lots of reports on the 20mm hub only to hear this?

Anyone else know anything different? Anyone seen or has a Haven with the 20mm hub? I know the anticipated Feb release date was not that far - it they are delayed that's one thing - if they will not be available at all that would really really suck.

mtbr member
    Interesting, let me see what I can find out, I was hoping they would come out with a bolt thru rear hub as well, which was supposed to come out with the 20mm front, at least thats what I read on the web somewhere ?

mtbr member
    I sent an email directly to Easton asking about a 20mm Haven, and they said March or April. Maybe they changed their minds?
    功夫大师喜欢骑着他的自行车在山上。

mtbr member
    I just got a reply from Easton (super quick reply) - they are expecting June. PHEW!

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Zoidberg
    I just got a reply from Easton (super quick reply) - they are expecting June. PHEW!
    Oh good! I want to get a set of these, but need to 20mm. June is farther away that I was hoping.

aka dan51
    Yody,
    How do the spokes connect to the rim? If the rim is sealed I'd expect to see some sort of additional threaded thingy on the rim, like the Mavic 819s have. The Havens look like standard spoke nipples to me. Can you post up a close-up pic of it?

mtbr member
    Its part of their whole hype for these wheels, they're supposed to be machined for a custom nipple that acts like a turnbuckle. The spoke threads into the niopple and the nipple threads into the wheel making a super secure connection allowing for the high tension and stiffness of the wheel. Which IMO is way better than the stans FLOW rims that you can't tension up good because of having no eyelets or whatever (weak!)
    Last edited by Yody; 04-12-2010 at 01:28 PM.

mtbr member
    BTW added a drop of red loctite on the preload adjuster and let it dry and then assembled and it seems to hold better, of course it just dumped rain so I'll be on backup bike for a few days so we'll see. The Easton guys have been super helpful too, so no worries either way.

mtbr member

I second their customer service...

I have had XC one's and Havocs and had a skewer that seemed to come loose often on the one's and during installation of the bolt on option kit for the havocs had some issues and damaged a bearing and they replaced everything very quickly and at no cost. Also, I have been riding my Havocs for a long time on rocky trails and they have held up great. No truing in 4 years! The bolt on option is pretty great too for the rear and the 28mm footprint of the havoc's has made a big difference. The Havens sound interesting. I am glad to hear their wheels are drawing some attention.

whoa!
    Mar 2007
    The good news, , , 20mm Havens are on the way (or maybe even here already)

The bad news, , , your name probably needs to Rockefeller or Carnagie in order to afford a set.

All kidding aside, I strongly suspect the configurable hub mentioned for these is gonna make its way onto the alloy set as well.
    At any rate this is an interesting story of Easton's manufacturing process :

(holy crap that is a light wheelset !!!)

Easton Haven Carbon all-mountain wheelset launched (link)

. . ."The convertible cartridge bearing alloy hubs which can be configured for 9mm quick-release and 15/20mm thru-axle up front and 135mm quick-release plus 135mm or 142mm thru-axle rear standards and straight-pull Sapim stainless steel spokes (which are conveniently all the same length throughout for easier repair) are wholly lifted from the standard Haven as well.". . . .

mtbr member
    I talked with the Easton reps at Sea Otter yesterday and got to check out those carbon havens in person. I can't afford em but they sure are nice, light and stiff! They said that they are nearly bullet proof since they are made of a rare ballistic carbon that is used as blast shields. He said through impact testing they have shown to be way stronger than the aluminum and any other carbon rim on the market.

Good news? 20MM hub is finalized and is optimized for the most stiffness

Bad News? Not shipping until August

whoa!
    Mar 2007
    I talked with the Easton reps at Sea Otter yesterday and got to check out those carbon havens in person. I can't afford em but they sure are nice, light and stiff! They said that they are nearly bullet proof since they are made of a rare ballistic carbon that is used as blast shields. He said through impact testing they have shown to be way stronger than the aluminum and any other carbon rim on the market.

Good news? 20MM hub is finalized and is optimized for the most stiffness

Bad News? Not shipping until August
    Interesting news, , ,

did you get the impression the hub is gonna be 20mm specific or if it'll be one hub capable of converting to all the different [standards]?

mtbr member
    20mm specific

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    BTW added a drop of red loctite on the preload adjuster and let it dry and then assembled and it seems to hold better, of course it just dumped rain so I'll be on backup bike for a few days so we'll see. The Easton guys have been super helpful too, so no worries either way.
    Yody,
    How the loctite work out ? i just returned from a rough 20 mile ride, only to find the front preload adjuster had backed out, giving me almost 1mm of play ! Don't know how much of the ride it was like that, so hopefully there is no bearing issues as a result.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rsvrjimbo02
    Yody,
    How the loctite work out ? i just returned from a rough 20 mile ride, only to find the front preload adjuster had backed out, giving me almost 1mm of play ! Don't know how much of the ride it was like that, so hopefully there is no bearing issues as a result.
    My front hub has been solid, did you convert yours to the 15mm thruaxle, I remember there was a step by step process I had to do to get it to work right.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I did convert from the 9mm to the 15QR. I followed the instructions from Easton's site, but I'll run through it again. FYI, I have about 150 miles on the wheelset, and this is the first I noticed any issue.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    For those of you who live near a Mike's Bikes shop, they are selling these Easton Havens for a really good price ($499). Here is the link:

http://mikesbikes.com/product/10-eas...et-63959-1.htm

No, I'm not an employee of Mikes Bikes. I just heard on the radio they are having their annual mega sale so I checked their website. This price is below anything I have seen, even fleebay.

I want to upgrade to a through-axle fork on my Mojo, but I can't decide whether to get this wheelset and pick up a Fox with 15QR, or buy a Revelation and use an existing Crossmax ST wheelset that I took off another bike (20mm front hub, of course). Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Thats a steal of a deal at Mikes BIkes!

Hard to say those crossmax ST's look like nice wheels, just a bit heavier. Hard call.

aka dan51
    Damn, that is a hell of a deal. I bet they tagged the wrong product.
    I might have to buy a set just for the heck of it.

20mm in August?! Ugh. I might have to just get another set of I9s...

mtbr member
    Rear hub problem didn't go away, it continues to develop play which I have to compensate for by just barely cinching up the preload adjuster. Easton is taking care of me though, sending in the rear wheel today. I should be back on the trail in no time. It is annoying that I will be without a wheel now but I'm confident they'll take care of the issue quickly.
    Last edited by Yody; 04-20-2010 at 12:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Oh and if anyone cares, the rear wheel naked is 940 grams (with valve stem)

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Does anyone know if the hub on the Carbon Haven is the same as the alloy version?

They appear similar and I'm curious to know if the current alloy version can be converted to a 20 TA and 12 x 135 down the road, or if the "new" version will have an updated hub to accommodate the other axle options.

mtbr member
    20mm hub is not convertable to anything else, its a solid 20mm hollow axle, no end caps that you could interchange. They said no plans quite yet of anything other than a standard rear qr which kinda sucks.

mtbr member
    Rear hub problem didn't go away,
    That sucks - I've read similar experiences from other reviews. Keep us up-to-date though if they indicate what the problem is.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Zoidberg
    That sucks - I've read similar experiences from other reviews. Keep us up-to-date though if they indicate what the problem is.
    On these wheels? Or just other Easton wheels? Ive heard of some issues wiht the road bike wheels that have been resolved. The thing about mine is that they started doing it right off the bat after the first few rides, ever since I"ve had to occasionaly cinch up the preload adjuster. The last time I had to adjust them I noticed the loctite didn't seem to be doing its job very well anymore, I'm wondering if I redid the loctite if it would hold, but honestly I'm not messing with it anymore, I'll let Easton take care of it. They seem interested to get to the bottom fo the issue and make sure I'm back on the road.....errrr "trail"

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    That's too bad. I just read the Carbons will have the new 142 standard and 135 x 12 through conversions as well. I had hoped the hubs were the same so the kits would work to convert both wheels.

mtbr member
    Well maybe they will, nothing that I saw tho?

Hello
    Hey I think I found a Easton Haven Wheelset for $399.00 if this is a legitimate on line retailer? Here

o2GearShop.com
    200 N. Mall Drive
    Appleton Wi 54913
    phone: 1.877.504.GEAR

Why are the prices going lower? I really would like to run 2.4 ust tires on ust rims.

sent from my rotary phone

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    The price is for front wheel only +400$ for complete wheelset
    Tal

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by charlesinoc
    Hey I think I found a Easton Haven Wheelset for $399.00 if this is a legitimate on line retailer? Here

o2GearShop.com
    200 N. Mall Drive
    Appleton Wi 54913
    phone: 1.877.504.GEAR

Why are the prices going lower? I really would like to run 2.4 ust tires on ust rims.
    Read the fine print. If you click on the options, the "Wheelset" is +$400, bringing the total to $799.

mtbr member
    On these wheels?

Yup - particularly the rear hub.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    [QUOTE=Neldar]For those of you who live near a Mike's Bikes shop, they are selling these Easton Havens for a really good price ($499). Here is the link:

http://mikesbikes.com/product/10-eas...et-63959-1.htm
    QUOTE]

Neldar,

I ordered up a pair of these yesterday from Mike's for my soon to be new Spitfire. Never heard of them before. Couldn't get them to answer the phone, so I placed an order via their website and received a call later in the day confirming the order and that they were shipping out. Later received an email tracking number.
    That was pretty cool of them to actually call and confirm the order being a new customer and all. They'll be hearing from me again in the future.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0