Needing to Upsize- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Needing to Upsize

Hi All,

I could really use some help. I test rode a new Mojo 3 and it fit perfectly so when an 2017 HD3 popped up on Pinkbike I went for it since it was such a good deal, like ridiculously good deal. The problem is as my skills have progressed I swear the bike seems to be getting smaller and smaller. I'm 6'1 with a 32 inseam. I should've done more research but from the test ride on the newer Mojo 3 I thought it would be roughly the same.

I really don't want to just sell it off and get a different bike even though that might be for the best. I just don't want to downgrade component-wise. I'm running carbon hoops on I9 hubs, XT 4 piston brakes, XT 12sp drivetrain, fox factory suspension with Transfer post.

What could get me on a larger Ibis for the least output? Keep scouring for a XL HD3? Is the HD4 that much better that it would be worth getting a frame and switching out everything? Would I be better off on a large or XL if so? HD5 even better?

I just don't know...

mtbr member
    What size is your current?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    457 reach on an XL is short by current standards. Long torso means you need all of that or even more. Large HD has 470.
    Demo.

mtbr member
    hd3 is much different bike than hd4 or hd5 for that matter. just fyi

mtbr member
    How different are they? Is it worth upgrading?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Musicguy View Post
    What size is your current?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Sorry, I'm riding a large.

be1
    the beat goes on
    there are ways to adjust your reach. 1) less sweep in your handlebars. 2) longer stem. 3) move seat back a little. could be you just need to experiment. try the seat first since it's free.
    You just can't beat the person who never gives up. - B.Ruth

mtbr member
    You are in the right place height wise for that sizing. The above are all good suggestions. I would imagine you could tweak to feel better vs needing a bigger frame. I'm 5'9" and rode a M Mojo SL for years, got an HD3 in large which felt big at the time and then felt right. Ibis does size a little small. I did just build a new bike and have my HD3 L up for sale which is part of the reason why I asked. Thought if you were on a M I could offer that frame as an option.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by be1 View Post
    there are ways to adjust your reach. 1) less sweep in your handlebars. 2) longer stem. 3) move seat back a little. could be you just need to experiment. try the seat first since it's free.
    Basically no sweep on the handlebars and seat is already back as far as it can go. I'm hesitant to put a longer stem on since it will slow the steering from what I understand.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Not really an answer for your question. Im 59 with a long torso and have been on a large HD3 and felt the sizing was near perfect for me. I just built up a medium Ripmo AF for reference. At the time of the HD3 I think upsizing was relevant as their bike lengths were a bit on the short side by market standards. Currently Ibis bikes are much closer if not on par with current market bike length trends and no longer warrant upsizing so quickly. Bike fit has some subjectiveness, but if you decide to upgrade to a current Ibis, at least swing a leg over it before you buy it. I almost bought a large Ripmo AF blindly, but was lucky enough to throw a leg over one and realized it was likely too much bike for me. Wishing you luck on solving your issue!

El Mirador
    I am 6.13, SLR was my first Ibis and I bought a size L at first. I rode it for a day and changed it that very same day to a XL, the L felt tight compared to my L Stumpjumper. I have been on a XL HD3 for five years, perfect sizing (with a 70 mm stem!). Moving to a XL Ripmo V2 next, demoed it and it felt like a glove, 50 mm stem. Wrong size choices are like traffic fines, pay them and don't look back. Good luck with your hunt.

jrm
    mtbr member
    I watched a JKW video where he was able to swap out the front triangle of his medium M3 for a large. You might try contacting ibis and see if they have a hd3 XL front triangle or one from model year that might be applicable.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    I watched a JKW video where he was able to swap out the front triangle of his medium M3 for a large. You might try contacting ibis and see if they have a hd3 XL front triangle or one from model year that might be applicable.
    Already checked with Ibis and they have nothing and neither does Pinkbike. Suggestions I've been getting are swapping everything over to an HD4 and selling my frame. I'm thinking about just saving the money and trying a longer stem first and eventually just upgrade to a Ripmo. Guessing there will be some used ones floating around soon enough now that V2 is out.

Got rocks?
    Im 6 and ride an XL M3 and feels small to me still. I have a 65 mil stem too. Whats size is your stem? I ran a 70 for a while with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jrm
    mtbr member
    Sounds like a plan..