Thread: My new mojo

mtbr member

My new mojo

Last month, I was doing the regular old search on ebay for an XL ibis mojo. For once, an XL came up, located in LA and the starting bid was 2k. Naturally, I bid on the bike and up until the last 5 minutes, almost had the bike for 2k flat. Unfortunately, some guy bid on the bike and bumped it up $100 so I ended up paying $2,114 for a brand new, "ridden once on the Venice beach bike path" mojo with a full xt build and float 140rlc. It was in perfect condition with 2 scratches and a coat of dust.

Needless to say, I was stoked and got an incredible deal. Drove down to LA that weekend and made it home to the Fremont in under 12 hours flat. Ordered some candy pedals, a joplin 4 and a thomson stem and the total price of the bike was still under $2,500.

Incredible bike and although not the color I preferred, I love the ride nonetheless.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My new mojo-ibis-mojo.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nice, a steal. Enjoy.
    milesW

Singletrack Addict!!!
    Luuckyyyy....
    The world needs a huge socio-economic change...be it. We all need to ride more....

aka dan51
    Awesome Steve!
    Hopefully this one isn't stolen

Proud bike-o-holic
    Great Steve!!!!! Im looking forward to your feedback!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by d-bug
    Awesome Steve!
    Hopefully this one isn't stolen
    Haha, well if it gets stolen hopefully it's by a genius named Josh.

For what it's worth, I had put an HD on order with my LBS until this came up and I ended up winning it. Since the XL black HDs were still months out and other shops had top priority, I was lucky enough to come by this. Couple that with Gus's HD recovery and I think it's pretty clear that the ibis gods were smiling down on me.

Dropshot Champ!
    been watching the larges, but they go up to justtttt outta budget in the last five mins. Almost bought the eddy orange in LA with the lyrik/ full xt.

Congrats!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    means you need to bust those lights out and lets charge some night rides!
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

Paper or plastic?
    I predict some good times at Downieville next year. In the meantime, get ready for the Turkey ride.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    congrats steve! you had to lose a chumba to get there but in the end it all worked out

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I read your story on chuck spew. You deserve a long run of good karma. Cheers.

mtbr member
    I used to use actionsniper.com when I was buying used computer equipment on ebay. I highly recommend it for those of you watching ebay for a used Mojo. You enter your maximum bid and the sniper sends your bid in the last three or so seconds of the auction. This keep you honest as far as your budget but most of all it makes sense not to show your cards until the last possible moment. The technique also increases your chances of winning.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Great deal... reminds me on my Mojo which I also got from LA early this year ('10 model with very little use, no scratches), exact same color, XL size, but with XTR components/Noir cranks/Magura Marta SL breaks/Mavic819 rims for only $2k shipped to bay area (wonder why you didn't have it shipped... 12h is a long ride!) without fork. Then spend $540 on a new Revelation Uturn 20mm maxle. Assembled came out $2600

I priced the same items on chainreaction (cheapest place for the parts) and it was almost $6k build. Sweet...

How out curiosity, what is the weight of yours ? mine is right at 28lbs
    (I have 2.35 tires, 180mm rotors, candy pedals as well).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by adumesny
    Great deal... reminds me on my Mojo which I also got from LA early this year ('10 model with very little use, no scratches), exact same color, XL size, but with XTR components/Noir cranks/Magura Marta SL breaks/Mavic819 rims for only $2k shipped to bay area (wonder why you didn't have it shipped... 12h is a long ride!) without fork. Then spend $540 on a new Revelation Uturn 20mm maxle. Assembled came out $2600

I priced the same items on chainreaction (cheapest place for the parts) and it was almost $6k build. Sweet...

How out curiosity, what is the weight of yours ? mine is right at 28lbs
    (I have 2.35 tires, 180mm rotors, candy pedals as well).
    That is an awesome deal! I drove because I had nothing planned for that Sunday (which is extremely rare). Plus the seller wanted me to pay $155 for shipping and I opted against it (cost me $80 in gas for the drive). Honestly after food, etc I'm sure shipping would have been a cheaper option. But, I figured I'd drive to LA anyhow.

No idea on the weight - don't have a scale.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy_Steve
    No idea on the weight - don't have a scale.
    I don't either, but that's what LBS are for!

I'm curious because of all the super high end parts it came with (carbon bar, Noir cranks, XTR, Ti kit, etc...) it came out heavier than I expected... but then again all the weights I see out there in the near 25lbs are for medium/small sizes it seems...

Hope that Joplin works for you. I decided against them based on review/people I met that had problems and opted for the fugly but reliable Gravity Dropper Turbo (craig list). Adjustable seats are awsome and use mine all the time in the SC mountains.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by adumesny
    I don't either, but that's what LBS are for!

I'm curious because of all the super high end parts it came with (carbon bar, Noir cranks, XTR, Ti kit, etc...) it came out heavier than I expected... but then again all the weights I see out there in the near 25lbs are for medium/small sizes it seems...

Hope that Joplin works for you. I decided against them based on review/people I met that had problems and opted for the fugly but reliable Gravity Dropper Turbo (craig list). Adjustable seats are awsome and use mine all the time in the SC mountains.
    I always feel a pang of guilt walking into the LBS with a 5k bike I just got off ebay (and the upgraded I got online). Naturally I shouldn't but since I worked at the LBS for 3 years, I can't help it.

That does seem awfully heavy. However, most weight weenies are more concerned with making their bike lighter than yours, when normal people are concerned about how much faster than can go downhill.

Members who have read this thread: 0