mtbr member
    Jun 2009

My Mojo SL is melting...

I bought my Mojo SL last year in Hong Kong and was riding it happily over the Chinese countryside.

Earlier this year, I needed to take a break and parked my Mojo SL on my covered balcony.

Now (6 months later) I wanted to get back to riding and when grabbing the bike the frame was all sticky and gooey. Interestingly, only on the side facing the outside.

It seems the rubberized paint has turned into some tree sap-like goo...I tried water, soap but it remains sticky. Taking a rough sponge I can eventually clean off the goo but then the shiny resin comes through.

My Stumpjumper parked next to it is fine - meaning it can't be a contaminant like tree sap or else both bikes would be covered in it...

Now, I won't claim that China has the best environment but it scares me to think what kind of chemical reaction has happened here...and whether it would attack the carbon structure.

Anybody else with a similarly weird experience? HELP!

holding back the darkness
    Acid Smog.
    You're breathing that.
    **** censorship

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Melting Mojo pictures

Yeah, I figured acid smog plus UV exposure...

Here are some pics, it is kinda hard to see the goo but the striations are from washing the bike with soap&water and a sponge.

Actually, this phenomenon has "trapped" the dirt inside the goo - so this is as clean as it gets...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Mojo SL is melting...-img_0399.jpg  

My Mojo SL is melting...-img_0401.jpg  

My Mojo SL is melting...-img_0404.jpg  

My Mojo SL is melting...-img_0405.jpg  

My Mojo SL is melting...-img_0406.jpg  

holding back the darkness
    This frame started out with the rubberized matte finish, right?

Ring.... ring.....
    Hello?
    Yes, this is Kyoto calling.... We'd like to have a few words with China please.

Whoa. Try to keep your face out of the air, too.
    **** censorship

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Yep, a beautiful matte finish Mojo SL...the opposite side of the frame is still relatively untouched...

The acid rain does wonders for my wrinkles..

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Yep, my SL has the same problem. It's a defect in the paint. I sent Ibis some photos and they were like, humm; new cassette, new chain, no big deal! Whatever!! Most of the time mine is covered in dirt. But if it gets worse that sucks, cause a 2300 dollar frame shouldn't be doing that.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Hi gonzo1034...eh, I did not quite get what cassettes and chains have to do with your paint problem (I am a but slow today).

Is your paint affected all over or only in particular areas? I have some theories what could be causing this but am somewhat at a loss since polyurethane coatings are usually tough as nails.

Since my frame is only affected on one side (the one facing wind, weather and sun) and excluding rain for a moment since the bike got pretty wet all over, I would have to guess UV light. This would explain why only one side is affected - almost like a sunburn.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Hi guys sorry to borrow this thread.

I'm from singapore and i also have a mojo sl on matte clear which is the same.

It seems like the coating is melting also. But it is at the rear triangle.

Regards
    Tom

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I think this one is probably handled already via email.

If you have a problem please contact Ibis or your dealer:

hans@ibiscycles.com

H

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    you left your bike OUTSIDE for 6 months?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    because INSIDE is where we live - come to China and you will understand...balconies are an extension of the apartment, where you do your laundry, store durable goods, bikes, car parts...and yes, they are covered. Mine is like a redneck's front porch, just out back:-)

Of course I could have left my bike with all the other $20 dollar bikes downstairs...I am sure it would not be tempting at all, a bike worth two years local salary.

Actually, you are supposed to register your bike with the po-po and they'll rivet a nice big license plate on it.

So yeah, I left it outside-ish...my Stumpy doesn't mind having some company.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by chinadan
    because INSIDE is where we live - come to China and you will understand...balconies are an extension of the apartment, where you do your laundry, store durable goods, bikes, car parts...and yes, they are covered. Mine is like a redneck's front porch, just out back:-)

Of course I could have left my bike with all the other $20 dollar bikes downstairs...I am sure it would not be tempting at all, a bike worth two years local salary.

Actually, you are supposed to register your bike with the po-po and they'll rivet a nice big license plate on it.

So yeah, I left it outside-ish...my Stumpy doesn't mind having some company.
    Might be the "regular" thing to do over there but I still don't understand why you wouldn't keep your bike inside. I value my bikes too much to leave them outside. Priorities.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    It doesn't matter where you store it, mine is garage kept and still has that issue. The paint is defective, mine has small patches mostly in the rear triangle but in recent time has also developed in the front triangle. Who knows what it will look like 2 to 3 years from now???

MountainGoat aka OldGoat
    Guys, This is a great place to vent, but if you want solutions, CALL IBIS I did and they took care of me.
    Vote with your feet.
    No bike is perfect!

banned
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jbsteven
    you left your bike OUTSIDE for 6 months?
    And? I've done it in europe and the US. Others with carbon do it too. It's not only an asian thing.

Might be the "regular" thing to do over there but I still don't understand why you wouldn't keep your bike inside. I value my bikes too much to leave them outside. Priorities.
    You're being disingenuous and not stating that you're putting "priorities" on the location of storage due to theft, not because you fathomed that it would chemically breakdown.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by junktrunk
    And? I've done it in europe and the US. Others with carbon do it too. It's not only an asian thing.

You're being disingenuous and not stating that you're putting "priorities" on the location of storage due to theft, not because you fathomed that it would chemically breakdown.
    Reguardless of what you think my reasoning is no matter where I would live in the world I would keep my bike inside. Priorities.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Yay internet arguing!

I keep my mojo on a bed of rare ostrich feathers during the day in a climate controlled ambient lit vault in a secret location, generally guarded by at least a half-dozen starving rottweilers. At night, it lays next to me in bed on a mattress made from baby seal fur. Anything less than this treatment is unfathomable and you all mistreat your bikes.

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008
    If you had 10sq meters to live in would you store your bike inside....or your bed!?
    Priorities....like you say. :-)

banned
    Apr 2010
    Reguardless of what you think my reasoning is no matter where I would live in the world I would keep my bike inside. Priorities.
    Then move to a safer area, or prioritize getting a place in a safer area.

My bikes go inside a closet, but if need be, and I often do, they go on the balcony.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Hahaha

To quote William Shatner......

Get a life.

Founder: Dirty3hirties
    Quote Originally Posted by Coloradoxj13
    Yay internet arguing!

I keep my mojo on a bed of rare ostrich feathers during the day in a climate controlled ambient lit vault in a secret location, generally guarded by at least a half-dozen starving rottweilers. At night, it lays next to me in bed on a mattress made from baby seal fur. Anything less than this treatment is unfathomable and you all mistreat your bikes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Coloradoxj13
    Yay internet arguing!

I keep my mojo on a bed of rare ostrich feathers during the day in a climate controlled ambient lit vault in a secret location, generally guarded by at least a half-dozen starving rottweilers. .
    !!!Coloradoxj13--move your Mojo IMMEDIATELY!!! See what happened when they had a Doberman guard a $900,000 collection of rare Elvis Presley teddy bears: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14154738/

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    My bikes go inside a closet.....
    Now that you are not in it, lots of room in there.

banned
    Apr 2010
    Any updates?

mtbr member
    Any updates?
    he's still in the closet. Waiting for the supreme court or Tom to move first.

Members who have read this thread: 0