mtbr member

Monarch plus rc3 vs Fox RP23 vs Fox dhx air

Have just been reading about the new RockShox Monarch plus rc3 and was wondering if anyone has any experience with it or is it even available yet. how does it compare to the other two shox RP23/DHX air im currently running an RP23 on my HD but was thinking of going to the DHX air however i have read one article saying that the Monarch was far better, and this is my issue its only one basic review. would like to know more.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I know from seeing and talking to the guys at Push that the Monarch has an insanely larger inner piston diameter with WAY better flow pattern and hole sizes than the fox rp23. They have nothing but the best to say about the Monarch.

Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005

Good job! I Have!

Quote Originally Posted by spooney
    Have just been reading about the new RockShox Monarch plus rc3 and was wondering if anyone has any experience with it or is it even available yet. how does it compare to the other two shox RP23/DHX air im currently running an RP23 on my HD but was thinking of going to the DHX air however i have read one article saying that the Monarch was far better, and this is my issue its only one basic review. would like to know more.
    Hey Folks,

This was my original impression:

"Last Saturday I had my first ride on a Pushed 2011 Rockshox Monarch Plus RC3 that I combined with a 2011 Fox 36 Talas 160 RLC FIT fork as replacements for the Specialized suspension on my 2007 Euduro SL. It was a major improvement from ride characteristics to the weight of the bike. The ride was a 3.5 hour, 23 mile funfest with over 3,000 feet of elevation gain/loss. One ride doesnít a review make but Iím completely stoked by the changes and highly recommend them to anyone with this frame.

Iíve had the Fox fork on the bike for 4 rides already so I was somewhat familiar with the advantages brought about by that change. Adding the shock was a major improvement to both the uphill and DH ride characteristics of the bike. That said I was expecting a little plusher ride with all the controls opened up. However I was assured by Darren at Push that they recommend 4-8 hours of off-road riding on all of their suspension services as a break-in period. Additionally, half a dozen other experienced riders told me that you normally need 15-20 hours of riding before a new shock or fork is completely broken in. Iím excited that things will only get better from here on as they were pretty damn nice Saturday!"

Iíve done two of these long rides plus a couple of ďfart aroundĒ sessions around my house. Bottom line is Iíve really liked both the shock and the fork. There was an immediate improvement in how well the bike pedaled on the flat and climbed steep hills. Long boring fire road climbs are greatly enhanced by the lock out feature on the fork and the low speed compression controls on both the shock and the fork. When Iím bombing downhill the bike feels planted to the trail and seems to handle square edged hits better.

That said both the new shock and fork feel different than I thought they would. Perhaps thatís because I also have a VP Free with a Fox Racing Shox DHX 5.0 Rear Coil Shock and a Fox 40 RC2 fork. I guess Iím spoiled by how plush the ride on the VP Free is and hoped the Enduro SL would now feel somewhat similar. That hasnít been the case. The first reason the two suspension systems donít feel the same is Iím comparing coil to air. The second reason is the new shock and fork on the Enduro SL still havenít broken in yet. There is no sense of a harsh ride but neither of them feels plush yet. Iím going to do a few more break in rides and then increase the sag from its current 18-20% setting to a solid 30% and see how that feels.

Iím sure that all this musing is just me chasing my tail and making inappropriate comparisons. The final thing Iíll say is IMHO the Enduro SL with the Pushed 2011 Rockshox Monarch Plus RC3 and a 2011 Fox 36 Talas 160 RLC FIT fork both climbs and descends much better than it did with the original Specialized suspension!

Iím a happy camper and looking forward to even better days,

Michael
    If you can't keep the rubber side down......at least smile for the camera!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Anyone happen to know the weight difference between the RP23 and the Push Monarch RC3?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by crlavoie
    Anyone happen to know the weight difference between the RP23 and the Push Monarch RC3?
    Thats the problem with this place...not enough self policing leading to multiple threads all dealing with the same topic...or do people just not feel like searching? If you had looked further down the first page you would find this:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=693352

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thank you and please accept my deepest apologies. I was unaware of these vexing issues.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by robnow
    Thats the problem with this place...not enough self policing leading to multiple threads all dealing with the same topic...or do people just not feel like searching? If you had looked further down the first page you would find this:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=693352
    Does it really bother you to the point of calling it a problem? Not that big of a deal. There arent many reviews on the monarch plus yet, so people are asking to see if anyone out there has some input. Isnt that the point of a forum? For sharing information?

Members who have read this thread: 0