mtbr member
    Sep 2010

MojoSL cracked frame.

Hey all,

Here's a reminder to clean your frame, which also results in an inspection of the frame. Found a 1cm long crack in the carbon link bridge that goes up to the shock pivot. I've notified my bike shop and they'll send it to Dirt Works Australia and hopefully get a waranty on the rear triangle at least......

Thought I'd just share the love.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MojoSL cracked frame.-dscn2637.jpg  

MojoSL cracked frame.-dscn2638.jpg  

MojoSL cracked frame.-dscn2639.jpg  

mtbr member
    Thats a bit of bad luck mate!

Hans (Ibis dude) frequents these forums, i'm sure he'll make sure your looked after!

mtbr member
    ibis costumer service is #1 they will take care of you

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Hope so ! I've never used a warranty before on anything !

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    They've been very helpful when I have had to contact them. I have a similar looking crack in almost exactly the same place, but I scraped off the clear coat and it seems to only be superficial at this point. Your's looks a little worse than mine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thats a bit of a bummer. You'll get sorted I'm sure...I was and am now a customer for life

It does surprise me, however, that folk post here before contacting Ibis. The CS that Ibis offers is second to none so I really don't see the point of using mtbr until after

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by nzl62
    Thats a bit of a bummer. You'll get sorted I'm sure...I was and am now a customer for life

It does surprise me, however, that folk post here before contacting Ibis. The CS that Ibis offers is second to none so I really don't see the point of using mtbr until after
    I think it's a benefit to the public that defects, fatigue, and crash failures are posted. We learn where to look for possible weak areas on our own bikes, no matter what brand it is.

Also it highlights customer service for better or worse. Ibis consistently has no equal I've seen in CS. Hans and the Ibis crew seems tireless to make the customer happy, even on weekends.

I usually break a frame or swingarm after 2 years from normal fatigue, from my heavy weight and much climbing and rocky trail use. My Mojo has held up over 4 years with no issues. Bearings lasting far longer than any before with no maintenance (including the notorious shock mount bushings).

banned
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by derby
    I think it's a benefit to the public that defects, fatigue, and crash failures are posted. We learn where to look for possible weak areas on our own bikes, no matter what brand it is.

Also it highlights customer service for better or worse. Ibis consistently has no equal I've seen in CS. Hans and the Ibis crew seems tireless to make the customer happy, even on weekends.

I usually break a frame or swingarm after 2 years from normal fatigue, from my heavy weight and much climbing and rocky trail use. My Mojo has held up over 4 years with no issues. Bearings lasting far longer than any before with no maintenance (including the notorious shock mount bushings).
    You also claimed the Mojo was flex-free before the Lopes links and at the same time claimed that the subtle flex served to eject the rider out of turns faster than an Al bike. Then you claimed that the lopes links made a huge improvement to stiffness, when you claimed the bike had no flex.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by junktrunk
    You also claimed the Mojo was flex-free before the Lopes links and at the same time claimed that the subtle flex served to eject the rider out of turns faster than an Al bike. Then you claimed that the lopes links made a huge improvement to stiffness, when you claimed the bike had no flex.
    I was just thinking its been a while since the last cheap shot from the haters.

YRTRNRSHVY
    Apr 2004

I still think all of this flex talk is BS. I went from a Ventana El Saltamontes to a Mojo SL with no Lopes link, then I added the Lopes Link. Can't tell any difference. There is way more flex in the wheel and tire than anything but a rubber frame would have.

Founder: Dirty3hirties
    Quote Originally Posted by thorkild
    I was just thinking its been a while since the last cheap shot from the haters.
    Ditto. I think it's pathetic to carry internet grudges...stalking every post made by someone just to take a shot at him. Get a life.

MountainGoat aka OldGoat
    Derby, Don't even respond. Take the high road man Fools are too numerous to count.
    Vote with your feet.
    No bike is perfect!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ddraewwg
    Ditto. I think it's pathetic to carry internet grudges...stalking every post made by someone just to take a shot at him. Get a life.
    +1.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    junktrunk, take your beef with Derby somewhere else. I have yet to see you post something positive, informative and insightful. Someone block this guy

Too Much Fun

Asshat

...And you probably claimed you weren't a complete schmuck at some point. Move along.
    - -benja- -

Dropshot Champ!
    lol junktrunk makes a good point though, you guys just bandwagon together and hate him for his view.

The flex issues the regular carbon ibis has (non HD) are very real. The fact you guys can't get that is just hilarious.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Rubbish

Mates that ride my SL comment to a man about how stiff it is compared to the many and various bikes that they ride.

Dropshot Champ!
    an ibis owner made a video of the flex (dan51)

I don't know how you all can argue that it doesn't happen. The world isn't flat either ya know

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    oh brother,,,,,,,

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I think it really depends on how much you weight. I'm about 150lbs and I can't feel any flex in my mojo either. This is why I haven't even bother with Lopes Link yet.

Quote Originally Posted by lemmy999
    I still think all of this flex talk is BS. I went from a Ventana El Saltamontes to a Mojo SL with no Lopes link, then I added the Lopes Link. Can't tell any difference. There is way more flex in the wheel and tire than anything but a rubber frame would have.

Too Much Fun

i'll bite

Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man
    I don't know how you all can argue that it doesn't happen.
    It's foolish to deny there's flex in the original Mojo or any other bike. I agree, like all manufacturer forums, folks fly the flag a bit too much here sometimes. Every forum has it's rock smokin' evangelists.

Ultimately the issue isn't whether there is flex (there is in every bicycle frame) but whether the flex is actually detrimental to handling. For me, on the Mojo, it isn't, and I've ridden every kind of MTB you can imagine, from 19lb ti race bikes to 30-40lb FR/DH sleds. It just doesn't bother me when riding.

Flex is everywhere. Whether it's a problem is between you and your bike.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man
    an ibis owner made a video of the flex (dan51)

I don't know how you all can argue that it doesn't happen. The world isn't flat either ya know
    If you mean that some people have noticed flex and don't like the regular Mojo because of it, then I completely agree. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. I don't like Turner's simply because I think the homers are really lame (DT seems like a great guy though). I don't like Kona because I think they continue to waste time on a poor suspension system. Others disagree, and thats fine. Can you arge that the homers aren't lame or Kona has a great suspension system?

I won't be a flex denier, but I will disagree that the flex significantly impacts the bike's performance. The vast majority of people really like how the Mojo rides and many of them win races at all competitive levels (not just Lopes). The only time you really see the no flex argument from Ibis users is in response to some statement that the bike has so much flex that it is unrideable or broken. That's an absurd statement.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Yawn. This again? I've got an idea...if you think Mojo's are too "flexy" DON"T BUY ONE.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by thorkild
    I don't like Turner's simply because I think the homers are really lame.
    So you don't like a bike because you think others that like it are lame.

I think you are in the running for the dumbest (or should I say lamest) post of the year.

You had better not ride one, lest you like it so much you become a .....Homer

MountainGoat aka OldGoat
    Let's get back to the OP. Clive, any news from Ibis or LBS?
    Vote with your feet.
    No bike is perfect!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by NE SW Dakota
    So you don't like a bike because you think others that like it are lame.

I think you are in the running for the dumbest (or should I say lamest) post of the year.

You had better not ride one, lest you like it so much you become a .....Homer
    I apologize to the OP for temporarily derailing this thread. But, fair or not, the products you use do convey a message about you. I've ridden Turners and they're great bikes. But when my experience with most Turner owners is the over the top name calling and sarcasm in the Turner forum combined with a sixty year old man riding a 5-spot while being guided on the MFW trail and proceeding to spend 5 minutes berating me about how lame my Ibis was and then having the gall to ***** about me being unfriendly when I just rode away, I don't think that's the bike for me. Seems reasonable, but maybe I'm the crazy one.

Dropshot Champ!
    Sounds like you didn't like that one person. Good job blaming turner frames for that guys actions.

Or you're a terrorist.

I hope it's just the first one though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    [QUOTE=redmr2_man]Sounds like you didn't like that one person. Good job blaming turner frames for that guys actions.[QUOTE]

The frames are fine, well made and very fun to ride. It's the brand image, not the quality or ride performance. All other things being relatively equal, I'll choose the brand with the better image. So will most people--that's why most companies actually try to keep their customers happy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    ^ yep brand image is important to some people, not just mtb bikers either. For example, I know co-workers who are pretty tolerant, and he rides a Harley. When talking about Harleys, he somehow will find a way to put down Honda and even in some cases slight the Japanese people. But he is no hardcore Hell Angel. He's just your typical family man, Harley enthusiast, who happen to let brand image take over his thinking. I feel that when I step into the Turner forum, I feel like I'm walking into a bar full of Harley guys waiting for me to open my mouth so they can slam me.

Oh back to topic. Frame definitely looks cracked. Warranty it!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    bored...

I hope you get your Ibis sorted. I am embarrassed that your post got derailed but that's the web for you. Well done junktrunk you complete twat

flow where ever you go

super bored...

Quote Originally Posted by nzl62
    bored...

I hope you get your Ibis sorted. I am embarrassed that your post got derailed but that's the web for you. Well done junktrunk you complete twat
    I'm embarrassed that a thread is started by someone who doesn't post a thing after it's started for 5 days!?! Wha's up wit' dat?

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

mtbr member
    CliveWorkum is probably riding his new frame already

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Sorry to bring this back on topic, but are we sure that this is a crack and not just a transition in the carbon layup? The pattern of the carbon weave appears to change right at where the supposed crack is, it may just be that a layer of carbon sheet ends there...

Can you make the crack separate by flexing the frame by hand?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Sorry lads, been away. I also thought my topic was lost amongst all the flex arguments.

Anyway - my LBS mechanic has been sleeping with bikes for 20 odd years, so I trust his judgement that it definitely is a crack.

So I've given the frame to my not so local bike shop (Ibis dealer) and he's sent it off to get warrantied hopefully. So will follow up on Monday.

mtbr member
    So could the same thing be happening to painted bikes ??? - Green Orange Guiness etc - But because their cracks are hidden under a layer of paint they go un noticed ??

Church of the Wheel
    Quote Originally Posted by twedspeed
    So could the same thing be happening to painted bikes ??? - Green Orange Guiness etc - But because their cracks are hidden under a layer of paint they go un noticed ??
    Any cracks in the layup should show as cracks in the paint as well.
    "I thought you'd never love me without my Mojo." -Austin Powers

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Well it's been fuggin 7 weeks and i aint heard sh_t...............

Some service - second to none

YRTRNRSHVY
    Apr 2004
    I would not have waited 7 weeks. I would be bugging the local dealer every few days to see if he had heard anything (so that he would be on the phone with Ibis) or I would be on the phone directly with Ibis to see what the problem is.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lemmy999
    I would not have waited 7 weeks. I would be bugging the local dealer every few days to see if he had heard anything (so that he would be on the phone with Ibis) or I would be on the phone directly with Ibis to see what the problem is.

Exactly, Stop bashing the company and call them.

meh
    its the shop not Ibis, this has happened before
    shoulda contacted Ibis from the very beginning

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CliveWorkum
    Well it's been fuggin 7 weeks and i aint heard sh_t...............

Some service - second to none
    I'd say that you or your shop dealing with this are the problem in the equation.

I broke my swingarm a week ago saturday, e-mailed Ibis sunday afternoon, got a response from Hans within an hour, on a SUNDAY, new swingarm was shipped out monday (crash replacement, I paid, and was totally ok with that), my bike was rolling again thursday evening and I was in Fruita riding the following saturday. One week of downtime was not bad at all.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I broke my rear tri on a sunday in july at northstar, had a new triangle by tuesday evening
    and was riding wed. Exact same matte clear sl that the OP has pictured.
    If this has taken 7 weeks something is clearly not right. Call Ibis yourself.

On a side note, the LBS I went through demanded (DEMANDED!) that Ibis required
    them to do the labor to replace the rear tri for warranty reasons and it would cost me $75
    for them to do the labor. No bike shop has ever touched my bike, I do everything myself.
    I called Ibis myself and asked about this, they said that my LBS was full of it, Ibis has
    no such policy. LBS grudgingly agreed that this was actually THEIR "policy" not Ibis
    policy and let me take the rear tri to put it on myself. Jackasses.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I worked in an area where a few vendors blamed us for their delays. We had customer information, so we started cc'ing customers on correspondence with vendors and boy did the bad vendors get angry!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Might be easier for you Colorado crew but in Oz we have 2 middlemen. I've been hassling them on the phone for bloody weeks. A very tainted experience......

Anyway - I'm over it

meh
    you can still contact ibis, theyve dealt with people all over the globe

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Just emailed them - we'll see.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    CliveWorkum I am in Oz as well and I have ordered a new Mojo, Dirtworks are expecting their shipment from Ibis today or early next week (so i have been told) so your replacement may be in the shipment. I have been waiting about 4 weeks now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Well I hope so buddy, no one seems to know anything....

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Might be easier for you Colorado crew but in Oz we have 2 middlemen. I've been hassling them on the phone for bloody weeks. A very tainted experience......

Anyway - I'm over it
    We don't hesitate to get people sorted out, it shouldn't be a problem if we've been contacted.

If you ever have any trouble with a your local shop or distributor following through, drop us a line (call or email) It's easier than you might think even though we're half a world away.

We would have had a new part underway the same day. Sometimes I will put a PM out to the person or put an email address in the thread, but there were already several people who mentioned you should contact us so, no need I figured...

Then later, I read you had gone through the shop, so, it should have been handled.

We remain ready to give excellent service when contacted. Things don't always work out the way they should through the dealers. Sorry about that.

If you type "ibis" into google, we're the first site that pops up, but here's my email: hans@ibiscycles.com. In the long run, Jeff@ibiscycles.com will be the guy who gets it underway for you.

Hans

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Cool Hans, just got an email from Scot Nicol.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

ibis support

I live in Oz and had a problem with a threaded inset rotating in my 07 mojo. I emailed ibis and had a new triangle within a week even though they were busy at Sea Otter. I have had delays and other problems with DW. They even refused to replace a broken dt swiss hub after it broke a second time and it had a dt lifetime warranty.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Man, Dirtworks need some life injected into them. The dude I spoke to was pretty rude.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Yeah I think it comes from having no real competition. It is no wonder that many people self import.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Hey Guys:

Not to get all defensive. But DT Swiss hubs do not, and never have had, a lifetime warranty. Two years is common on the higher end models. http://www.dtswiss.com/getdoc/51a04e...Datasheet.aspx

Even so... DT Swiss and DW often warrant hubs out of warranty period based on individual circumstances. If you feel you were hard done by... feel free to email me. elvis@dirtworks.com.au

As to the Ibis warranty issue, I can only apologize. We've been flat out recently and were trying to build a shipment of Ibis frames to ship with the warranty frame to offset the cost of the freight.

Sorry.

Elvis.
    Last edited by Elvis @ Dirt Works; 11-17-2010 at 05:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvis @ Dirt Works
    Hey Guys:

Not to get all defensive. But DT Swiss hubs do not, and never have had, a lifetime warranty. Even so... DT Swiss and DW often warrant hubs out of warranty period based on individual circumstances.

As to the Ibis warranty issue, I can only apologize. We've been flat out recently and were trying to build a shipment of Ibis frames to ship with the warranty frame to offset the cost of the freight.

Sorry.

Elvis.
    Hi Elvis, you have my white Mojo in the same order I guess, LBS has told me your expecting the shipment in the next 7days, is that an accurate time frame?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Man, Dirtworks need some life injected into them. The dude I spoke to was pretty rude.
    Clive:
    Firstly, my apologies for the delay.

You mentioned a rude person on the phone... Do you know the name of the person you spoke to? (feel free to email or PM me if you want) elvis@dirtworks.com.au

Elvis.
    Last edited by Elvis @ Dirt Works; 11-17-2010 at 05:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by shiny
    Hi Elvis, you have my white Mojo in the same order I guess, LBS has told me your expecting the shipment in the next 7days, is that an accurate time frame?
    Well it shipped (from the US of A) yesterday. Allowing for customs clearance and the usual Gov' crap. I'd expect to have them in my hands on Monday afternoon.

They will ship (from DW to your dealer) the following day. Depending on where your dealer is... will determine how long local freight takes.

Elvis.
    Last edited by Elvis @ Dirt Works; 11-17-2010 at 05:10 PM.

Has a cycling disorder
    sic 'em Rex
    Frameskin™ Bike Protection Film
    www.frameskin.com
    Dirtsurfer™ Custom mudguards
    www.dirtsurfer.com.au

Has a cycling disorder
    Elvis....
    please send me a HD to skin

Oh, and the Mont sold out in 4 days!
    crikey
    www.frameskin.com
    www.dirtsurfer.com.au

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by fishboy2807
    Elvis....
    please send me a HD to skin

Oh, and the Mont sold out in 4 days!
    crikey
    We've got a spare medium in this next shipment.

How long do you need the HD for?

I have a customer service guy heading to Canberra in the next week or so... he usually stays overnight (at least one). Might work out perfectly.

re: the Mont... we're still able to get our team in... right?

Elvis.

Has a cycling disorder
    We've got a spare medium in this next shipment.
    That's great news. Send it my way.

How long do you need the HD for?
    I have a customer service guy heading to Canberra in the next week or so... he usually stays overnight (at least one). Might work out perfectly.
    If I could get it from your guy in the afternoon, I could do this overnight and aim to hand it back by about lunchtime... before he heads back to Sydney.

re: the Mont... we're still able to get our team in... right?
    Elvis.
    Yep, we've got team allocations available for the Trade/Demo guys. We want your guys there tearing up the track on the latest Ibis porn so let me if you need one or two teams. We'll end up with about 2800 riders next April... I don't want to think how many friends, family and hangers on just now. We've created a monster.
    www.frameskin.com
    www.dirtsurfer.com.au

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Uh, you guys ever heard of personal emails ?

I mean this back and forth on personal matters, and hoocking up, really doesn't need to be posted for the world to see...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Finally arrived !

Next problem is the 2 upper bearings of the Lopez link have about 3-4mm of play when bolted to the new rear triangle. I have a DTswiss shock and if I remove one of its' bushes the seatstays can compress further and eliminate the play. Obviously I won't ride it like this, perhaps I need to grind down these bushes.

Anyway I'll trawl around this site and see if this problem has been addressed. Grrrr!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Finally arrived !

Next problem is the 2 upper bearings of the Lopez link have about 3-4mm of play when bolted to the new rear triangle. I have a DTswiss shock and if I remove one of its' bushes the seatstays can compress further and eliminate the play. Obviously I won't ride it like this, perhaps I need to grind down these bushes.

Anyway I'll trawl around this site and see if this problem has been addressed. Grrrr!!
    Hmmm.. The measurement on the rear shock mount should be 22mm or 21.9 ish.

Can you check that?

H

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Will do !

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I continue to be greatly impressed with Ibis CS on here... I have had my Mojo for a year now with no frame issues, thank god. But I rest easy knowing that when and if something does happen to it, I will be taken care of in a manner that far exceeds typical CS. All the folks at Ibis have turned me into a customer for LIFE!

Thanks,

Mike

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Mojo fault

My Mojo swingarm had a similar crack last year. I emailed Ibis with pix and had a reply from Scot within 6 hours. He told me the fault was a known one, due to bladder inflation problems. He said: 'Surprised yours took this long to manifest itself, but we'll get you taken care of right away'.

He sent the pix on to Dirtworks who contacted me the following day. I took the bike to my LBS and got it back with a new swingarm by the end of the week, complete with an upgrade to the Lopes Link. Totally painless service.

Members who have read this thread: 0