Thread: Mojo vs. 5 Spot

nocturnal oblivion

Mojo vs. 5 Spot

Who wins? 2010 5 Spot aesthetics. Anybody ridden both? Those 5 Spot owners are pretty loyal, was going to cross post to Turner but fear for my health.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Lol I would have to say the new Titus Carbon FTM as I think this bike is perfect as Im not into big drops

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Might be able to help here as have owned both. I had one of the early Ibis Mojos in Guinness Foam, and sold it to get a DW 5-Spot in '09 as I love Turners, having also had a HL Spot......

Firstly the similarities: DW Link rules. I've owned a few 4-bar bikes and ridden quite a few VPP & single-pivot bikes and the DW seems to have the best of all worlds - plush and supple over the small stuff, taught under acceleration, well-controlled when deeper into their travel, nice spring out of berms and off kickers, and the rear sits high when climbing, negating the need for adjustable-travel forks. Both ride well without any platform damping. Both come up a bit small - I normally ride a medium frame around 23-23.5"TT but medium in both is too small for me, large better, but at 5'10" would ideally like something in-between. Both also quite steep in head-angle with 140mm forks, and feel better for me with something longer (have 160mm Floats on the Turner, and ran Bomber Z1 Lights on the Mojo).

Now for the differences: the Mojo is obviously lighter, great when climbing and building speed on singletrack, but it's more easily pinged off line on the rocky stuff, and feels a bit less planted when landing drops. The Turner feels more "rugged", perhaps due to the frame materials but also the weight. This gives you more confidence to hit jumps and drops on the Turner. This feeling was obviously increased by having 2 rear triangles cracked on the Mojo (although I should say Ibis were awesome in replacing them).
    The Turner is noticeably stiffer than the Ibis, although I never got to try the Lopes link which is supposed to improve things quite a bit. This is a good thing in certain circumstances, but I would say that the Mojo carves turns like no other bike I've ridden - flipping from side to side through turns almost like a set of carving skis. This may be down to the flex in the frame or the carbon material, I'm not sure, but it was highly addictive.

Which one is best? If you love to climb and sprint, then the Mojo. If you like to hit a few jumps or drops and fly rocky downhills, then the Turner.
    Having had the Turner for 18 months, I'm really missing the Mojo, and interestingly I'm seriously considering the Mojo HD as it could well be the best of both worlds, especially given the 140mm flavour and being adjustable between the two.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you want to know anything more!!

nocturnal oblivion
    ^^^Great comparison, thanks. A lot of what you mentioned is bits and pieces I've heard from others. Really think I'm going with a new Spot, I'm busy selling a few possessions on Craigslist to make up the difference. Anyone need a kidney?

flow where ever you go
    Don't forget to look at Ibis Mojo HD and the upcoming HD140.

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

www.derbyrims.com
    I really like the 5 Spot for rocky conditions.

Members who have read this thread: 0