Thread: Mojo Tire Rub

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Mojo Tire Rub

I have a 07 Mojo with a Fox 36 Talas fork. I have 2 wheel sets - one for cross country and one for all mountain/freeride. On the all mountain set-up I started with a Maxxis Minion 2.5 (small for a 2.5) DH tire but at full compression the tire rubs on the seat tube. Next I put a 2.25 Schwalbe Nobby Nic (fairly large casing but short tread blocks) but it still rubs a little at full compression.

Lopes is running his signature tire at 2.35" and Kenda's typically are some of the bigger tires for the rated size. Is he getting tire rub? Or is he just running so much pressure that he never bottoms out?

on yer left
    Apr 2008
    I run my shock pretty plush and I've yet to have a 2.4 Conti Mtn King rub on the frame. It hits the rear brake cable once in a while though.

Founder: Dirty3hirties
    I run 2.35 timberwolves on the rear with no tire rub....not on the seattube anyways. There's some rub marks on the chainstay though, but I think some of that may have been knicks from rocks stuck in the side knobs, not just deflection of the tire.

I plan to switch to neve 2.35's on the rear though....don't see how they would be a problem since they're pretty common.

OT: How do you like the Talas 36? Do you run it at 160 all the time? I'm trying to figure out what riders do. If you ride mostly at 160 or only for the serious DH stuff. Is 160 too slack for "normal" riding?

The MTB Lab
    I have run both the Schwalbe Alberts (2.25) and the Fat Alberts (2.35) and they never rubbed. I also always run my rear shocks, either the RP23 or the DT Swiss with fairly low pressure so I can get max travel. Do you have to much sag?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I run 150 psi for cross country and I weigh 180 lbs. When I first was getting tire rub with the 2.5 Minnion I kept increasing the pressure up to 225 psi but could still get tire rub when landing some jumps. I put the bike on the stand and let all the air out of the shock. When the shock is compressed to the bottom out bumper there is still some clearance between the tire and the seat tube but if I pull up hard on the swingarm and compress the bottom out bumper I can get the tire to contact the swingarm. The other time I can get tire rub is when I ride the 2.25 Nobby Nic with 150 psi in the shock and I go fast through a strong "g-out" compression.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ddraewwg
    I run 2.35 timberwolves on the rear with no tire rub....not on the seattube anyways. There's some rub marks on the chainstay though, but I think some of that may have been knicks from rocks stuck in the side knobs, not just deflection of the tire.

I plan to switch to neve 2.35's on the rear though....don't see how they would be a problem since they're pretty common.

OT: How do you like the Talas 36? Do you run it at 160 all the time? I'm trying to figure out what riders do. If you ride mostly at 160 or only for the serious DH stuff. Is 160 too slack for "normal" riding?
    The Talas 36 that I have is the first year model (05?) and is 110 - 150mm travel. I run it at 110 mm almost all the time for cross country unless I have a long downhill and then I will set it at 130 or 150. I find that in the 110 mm setting (which has an axle to crown height equivalent to 125mm on a 32mm fork) the bike climbs really well. If I extend the fork the bike still climbs OK but not as efficiently as in the lower setting and on really steep climbs it will wander in the front end and I can't make some of the climbs that I can make in the 110mm setting. I only use the 150 mm setting if the downhill is steep as it makes the BB feel a little high if the downhill is not steep.

I love the 36 fork on the bike because of the stiffness. The combination of the stiff fork and the Mojo frame makes for a bike that tracks beautifully. I will add the Lopes link once they are available. In a perfect world it would have a Maxle in the rear as well.

The MTB Lab
    You might consider the Fox DHX 5 if you are into jumping. Is that the only time you tire rubs? I run 120+ and I am 155

Members who have read this thread: 0