mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Is the mojo "snappy"

Tons of infomration saying the mojo suspension is plush. Can you set it up to be more "snappy" xc race orientated?

mtbr member
    Assuming you are referring to the Mojo SL......I've demoed the heck out of the Mojo SL this month in Moab and Colorado to see if I want one. The first time I rode it in Moab, the shock was set up firm and rode much like my XC bike. The second time I rode it in Moab they set it up more plush and it rode like a cross between the Turner 5 spot and my Yeti ASR XC race bike. That is, the Mojo SL was very compliant on big hits, more firm on small "trail chatter", and pedaled very efficiently.

I guess I'm saying you can set the Mojo SL up firm or plush. The SL is not the HD but some riders build it into trail rigs. Others make it a lite XC race bike. Regardless of how you set up the shock and build the Mojo SL out, it climbs like a goat.

Church of the Wheel
    The cool thing about the Mojo implementation of the DW Link is that you don't have to choose between plush travel and snappy acceleration - you get both at the same time, and can fine tune the balance to your liking with regular shock/suspension adjustments.
    "I thought you'd never love me without my Mojo." -Austin Powers

mtbr member
    Yes

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    First, I must admit that I'm not sure what 'snappy is', but I'll be an idiot and try to answer the question anyway.

My friend with a Turner 5.Spot (dw link version) jumped on my Mojo SL and called it 'snappy'. And my suspension was set for me, who is probaby 30 lbs lighter than him. My boyfriend tried out both bikes as well and called the Mofo SL 'snappy' and a quick accelerator.

Compared to my retired (broken) 2002 Ellsworth Truth and 2002 Turner XCE, the Ibis Mojo is a better accelerator--it feels like there is a bit of turbocharge when I step on the pedals (and I have big heavy Flow rims on the Ibis, compared to light Bontrager race light wheels on the Ellsworth and Turner). I feel like I can throw it around corners on tight trails better than the Ellsworth or Turner, but not quite as well as my Voodoo Bizango hardtail. Note that I was between sizes and went for the smaller of the two because I wanted a bike that I could throw around.

Too Much Fun

Good job! "yes"

The Mojo SL is wonderfully snappy. Or, I should say, can be set up as snappy as you could possibly want.

Light parts and light wheels/tires and it'll be dialed for XC. I've got mine at 25lbs with mostly stock parts and I'd feel comfortable racing it, and I do. I still freak out when I think that I ride a 5.5" bouncy bike that only weighs 3lbs more then my old Ti Mojo. More $$$ and you can go much lighter. It's snappy in all the right ways.

The SL is an incredibly versatile bike. Want go more "trail" or "AM" then just put some beefy rubber, shorter stem, 150m fork with 15 or 20m axle and a dropper post... Then hit the gnarcore.

Frankly, as much as I love it, the HD is overkill for 75% of the people who'll own it, but that's another story...
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    ahh what do you mean by snappy??

Compared to an Epic, then no, the Mojo is not snappy. Compared to most AM bikes, then yes it's snappy.
    but if you attempt to race XC on a Mojo, you will get passed by them Epics (and hartails) like you're standing still! Even if you were somehow to get the Mojo down to 22-23 lbs, you'd still lose to a 24 lbs Epic. So no XC racing for Mojo (that is, if you're looking to place).

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by chauzie

Compared to an Epic, then no, the Mojo is not snappy. Compared to most AM bikes, then yes it's snappy.
    but if you attempt to race XC on a Mojo, you will get passed by them Epics (and hartails) like you're standing still! Even if you were somehow to get the Mojo down to 22-23 lbs, you'd still lose to a 24 lbs Epic. So no XC racing for Mojo (that is, if you're looking to place).
    Completely agree. This is a "relative" question. Relative to almost every other bike in its class, the mojo is very snappy and much more on par with the 120mm class bikes (Fuel, older Stumpjumpers, ASR-5) for snappyness while still being incredibly plush. The only bike with the same travel as a Mojo that I think is snappier is the Pivot Mach 5. However, it is not snappy like a pure xc racing bike. It will race fine, but I am not sure there is any way you can make a 140-150mm bike that you can drop the hammer on like a 100mm xc bike in an xc race.

All of that being said, the mojo still has a very very plush and bottomless feel to it in terms of moving through its travel while descending. That's probably why it is so popular - it doesn't seem to compromise in many places for its ride quality.

mtbr member

Sorry, but I disagree. I have an SL that is under 21 lbs and I have won and placed well racing in the Expert Class. It is the motor more than the bike. I also have it set up firm for XC racing.
    milesW

flow where ever you go
    It's snappy for a long travel bike, but better than snappyness for me is the predictability. Both snappiness and plushness, as they are, feel predictable all the time - no matter the gear, the terrain, or the speed. I have ridden bikes that felt snappier but they had less travel and were not predictable like the Mojo is. Maybe they stall on square edge bumps, maybe they favor the middle ring over the small ring, and so on.

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

bike rider
    Even if you were somehow to get the Mojo down to 22-23 lbs, you'd still lose to a 24 lbs Epic. So no XC racing for Mojo (that is, if you're looking to place).
    You can make the Mojo as firm as any suspension bike with an extra 5psi and #3 ProPedal. I can easily use my PP lever while riding, so I do on any sections where I need firmer pedaling. An RPL shock gives the option of full lockout. I used to use the RPL but didn't lock it much on dirt. I don't see what advantage any other frame has over the Mojo SL in an XC race, besides being a 1/2lb lighter. I raced this to several Pro XC podiums the last 2 years:

I think my tires and seatpost slowed me more on the climbs, but of course they helped on the downhills.
    Keep the Country country.

Too Much Fun

New question here. Whaaa?

but if you attempt to race XC on a Mojo, you will get passed by them Epics (and hartails) like you're standing still!
    whatevs. that's just straight up goofy.

the rider plays a small part in that equation.

if you can't race well with a 21-23lb mojo then it ain't the bike that's lacking snappiness.
    - -benja- -

Members who have read this thread: 0