YRTRNRSHVY
    Apr 2004

Mojo SL rear dropout problem

I have a Mojo SL that is less than 1 yr old. I just took the rear wheel off the bike and I heard something fall on the ground. It was a very small thin piece of metal that fits in the droupout. I have attached a pic showing where it was and then a pic where I placed it back in where it is supposed to go.

I was just wondering if anyone had seen this problem and had any suggestions on what I should do or how I should re-attach it? The other side has the metal piece and it looks fine (but the pic is a little blurry). Thanks.

mtbr member
    That protects your carbon fiber dropout, Send Ibis an email. I haven't seen this before.
    milesW

Guesswho117
    Jan 2008
    It has happen to me, but mine got mangled when the rear axle failed on my crappy XT hub. Send Hans at Ibis an email. He sent me a new one free of charge. I then glued on the new one with JB Weld. Ibis recommends Jb Weld. But in my experience Jb Weld sucks. It fell off two more times after that. As did my chain suck protector. I would definitely try a different epoxy.

YRTRNRSHVY
    Apr 2004
    I figured some type of epoxy would be suggested to re-attach, but I didn't want to use anything that might damage the frame somehow. What other epoxy do you think would be a good choice?

Has a cycling disorder
    Araldite is another strong 2 part epoxy.
    I used it to re-attach the insert in my seat-tube and the chain suck protector... 'sticks like sh*t to a blanket' as they say...
    nothing has moved since.
    Al
    Frameskin™ Bike Protection Film
    www.frameskin.com
    Dirtsurfer™ Custom mudguards
    www.dirtsurfer.com.au

Guesswho117
    Jan 2008
    That Araldite, can that be found at Home depot or is something special you have to find online?

YRTRNRSHVY
    Apr 2004
    Which Araldite did you use? I have never heard of it and I looked it up and there are about 20 different types of Araldite 2000 depending on the application. They each have numbers like 2010, 2011, 2024, 2042, etc. Thanks.

YRTRNRSHVY
    Apr 2004
    I found out the Araldite isn't available in the USA (except for the industrial versions that would be difficult to get in small quantities). I contacted Ibis and they pretty much said any 2 part epoxy and said JB Weld was just "ok". They use some kind of 3M epoxy. I couldn't find that locally so I just used a Loctite brand 5 minute epoxy and hoped for the best.

Guesswho117
    Jan 2008
    Hopefully this Loctite will do the job. And hopefully the word will get out that JB Weld really is just ok and not the preferred choice by Ibis anymore.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    The various Dev-Con epoxies are good. The 2-Ton or High Strength 5 minute would probably do the trick.

mtbr member
    I had this happen to me. My local LBS (Adventure Cycles in Aurora Colorado) epoxied it back on under warranty.

Erik

Members who have read this thread: 0