Mojo SL-R when did they stop building 140mm Frame- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Mojo SL-R when did they stop building 140mm Frame

Hi All
    Previously enjoyed 140mm Mojo SL-R but now understand no longer built. Any idea why and when manufacture stopped? Any recommended similar offering?
    David

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    The reason I think is due to that everyone now wants a 27.5 wheel cycle instead of a 26.
    The change has been dramatic on the demand side, so I expect that Ibis just follows the trend/reduction in demand for SL-R. If your still looking for an Ibis, the HDR is not that different compared to the SL-R. A little heavier, but still 140mm with 27.5. It clears most tires in the rear up to 2.3.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Or if you really want one, ask around. I would probably be willing to sell mine just so I can get a new HD3.

All bike, all the time
    ??? Still listed on the Web site, or am I missing something? Was told as recently as a month ago, plenty in stock. If you're saying the Ibis factory is no longer manufacturing the SL-R, that probably makes sense since Ibis has plenty of inventory. The response to the HD3 has been so massive Ibis has little incentive to produce an increasingly marginalized frame.
    All bike, all the time

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeIntelligencer View Post
    ??? Still listed on the Web site, or am I missing something? Was told as recently as a month ago, plenty in stock. If you're saying the Ibis factory is no longer manufacturing the SL-R, that probably makes sense since Ibis has plenty of inventory. The response to the HD3 has been so massive Ibis has little incentive to produce an increasingly marginalized frame.
    Thanks guys. Problem relates to warranty replacement of black/blue carbon rear swing arm. Bike relatively new and cylindrical aluminum tube debonded from carbon frame. Unfortunately only picked up after fairly extensive "erosion" of carbon. The obvious did fix of reglue was a concern noting large gaps and (mis) alignment concern. I was keen to obtain new swing arm and previously had great warranty experience with Ibis. Problem may be with stock hence surprise that although purchased new 6 months ago Ibis may not have stock.
    Any experience out there with reglue?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    If you're concerned; why not talk to ibis about it? Maybe they will do it, if you send it in.

meh
    yeah, email ibis

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Thanks for advice. I have sent the faulty swingarm back to Ibis and await their remedy with eager anticipation. If anybody interested I can post pictures of faulty metal piece and damage to carbon frame before remedy in new thread. I can then provide update when repair is complete. Possibly showing and commenting on before and after close ups of perceived quality of fix, alignment etc.

Has anybody out there attempted and experience with reglueing of carbon and aluminium or other metal bits to frame. I am fairly switched on regarding servicing of bikes and would like to have remedy for any future debonding issues.

All bike, all the time
    Did they say they were going to repair it or replace it? By all means I'd be interested in a before and after, especially with carbon...
    All bike, all the time

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Ibis will assess it but looks like they may be out of stock of black with blue trim to match existing frame. I'm hoping they can replace but this is in their court. Will keep you posted of result once assessed.
    Regards David

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dshear View Post
    Hi All
    Previously enjoyed 140mm Mojo SL-R but now understand no longer built. Any idea why and when manufacture stopped? Any recommended similar offering?
    David
    The main reason is because the whole industry got caught in the wheel size hupla, and small manufacturers like Ibis had to revamp their line up, even if their offerings were perfectly competent bikes, to achieve earth shuttering things like a change of 12mm in wheel radius (i.e. 26 to 650b).

In doing so Ibis seems to be going in the direction of having 2 full suspension bikes in the lineup. Now we have the HD3 (heavier, long travel, for all-mountain/enduro) and the Ripley (lighter, shorter travel, for trail riding).

Unfortunately for many, myself included, the HD3 is too much of a bike and the Ripley is a 29.

I am planing to get a new frame around the 10 years anniversary of my Mojo Classic: high end alternatives for a 5 pounds frame (convertible to 26) are the Yeti SB5 and Santa Cruz 5010, Canyon Spectral CF, I am sure there are others.

We can try to ask Ibis http://forums.mtbr.com/ibis/should-w...is-947684.html but it is a smaller company and might not have the resources to market a wider range of FS bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Ibis' push to follow the new market 29er 27.6 etc has its downside. I purchased a new 26" because i was happy with size, weight etc and suited my needs. A major reason tho was that I had so many spares for interchangeability of 26er "stuff". If things went wrong downtime minimal as I have spare wheels etc. Had I known then (6 months ago) that Ibis was discontinuing 26er and that frame/parts could be a problem I would have reconsidered. Unfortunately, even now, this frame still shows on their website as a current model which can be misleading when making decisions on a new bike. Not 100% sure of way forward wrt Ibis' support of warranty etc of ?discontinued models so time will tell.