mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Mojo SL questions

So I'm thinking about getting this bike.

I'm 5'8", 140 lbs, female. I like the idea of this light 5.5" travel bike. But if it starts getting too heavy forget it (that is over 25 lbs or so).

Could someone who has a medium with the WTF and/or XTR package tell me if the weights given are true. I mean is it taking everything into account, ie. cables, housing, grips...
    I realize that pedals are not in there. I can't imagine running those Piranhas for any amount of time, so I would add weight with tires, but that would still make this an amazingly light bike.

Any ideas if the 2009 packages will be substantially different?

What about the Manitou fork? I don't know anyone who rides one.

Thanks for your input!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    My med sl with the wtf kit, talas, rp23 and xtr pedals came in at 23.3 ready to ride.

Unpredictable
    Mine is a large frame Mojo Carbon, not the SL. I went medium light with 717 wheels tubeless conversion, Talas 32, Avid J7s with 6 inch rotors (no problems and it is hot here), XT hubs, XT cranks and clusters, XT shadow RD and shifters, XTR FD, Race Face Riser Carbon bars, 100mm Thompson stem, RF carbon post and Crank Bros second heaviest Candy pedals. I just changed from Larson TT 2.0 to Front High Roller and Rear Minion 2.35s in Super Tacky (sick of the ride being restricted by rubber quality). Weight 13.1kg or circa 29lb. It rolls equal to or better with the new rubber on everything except grass.

You would be looking at the SL in medium most likely and with an XTR level setup and Ti eggbeaters, getting under 25lb would depend a lot on the wheels and the tires, fork choice, plus saddle choice. It seems most of us build our components up to the strength of the frame (in my case bit by bit), but a light enduro machine would be possible with a simple fork.

Just my 2c, but you may miss out on some of the advantages of the bike by going as light as possible. It climbs so well and handles so nicely on everything short of big hit riding, you may prefer the ride made a bit heavier. Can you test ride one?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    My medium SL with a Pike 454 U-Turn air, XTR/X0 drivetrain, Hope Pro II hubs laced to Stans arch rims w WTB exiwolf 2.3f/2.1r, Formula One brakes, Gore cables, Thomsen masterpiece post/WTB silverado seat, Ibis 110mm stem, RF Next SL bars, Cane Creek solos is headset, and ODI lock on's weighs just under 27lbs. The bike climbs amazing, as well as handled the black trails at Winter Park with ease! I just got a 09 Fox Talas RLC qr15 for a heck of a price, so that will drop a 1/2 pound off right there (If I like it enough to keep it on).

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    they're not lying about the weight. I have a medium SL with the wtf package. I only changed the tires (schwalbe racing ralph in the rear, and noby nic in the front) and it weighs 22lb, 3oz with pedals (crank brothers egg beater 2ti).

but weight is not the only consideration. this bike climbs 100% better than the $7000 4" travel xc racing bikes I've ridden. you won't be dissapointed.
    -Ryan

mtbr member

Forget the Manitou Fork

Everyone I know who has gone the way of the Manitou fork has ended up with the bike in the shop because the fork sucks. Your experience may be different, but of the three locals I know who have Mojo SL with the Manitou have had nothing but problems.

So, get the Fox fork and you'll be happy.

I did the XTR setup except for a XT cassette (I went through too many bent 3rd chainrings on XTR cassettes to justify the expense) on a medium SL frame. I have the RP23 rear shock. I also added Time Z Control pedals which are HEAVY but highly rated and unlike the Crank Bros. pedals, you'll probably never have a broken pedal. I also added a Jopelin-R seat post which is absolutely incredible--it changed my riding style in fundamental ways. Also added Ergon GX2 Carbon grips and bar ends. Panaracer UST Fire XC Pro tires with "Tubeless Slime" in both. Total weight 12.8kg.

BTW: On my previous bike I used the Slime for Tubeless. I counted 15 spots where it was leaking out of holes in the tire, but the tire held pressure. From that experience, I'd say it's worth the extra weight.
    Peace,
    Gyan the Zen Monkey.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I have both the SL and the Standard.
    My SL is 21.9 lbs with the wtf kit. My Standard is 24.9 lbs. both are medium, and I'm the same height as you.
    Haven't had any problems with the Manitou fork and the DT Swiss shock is amazing on the SL. The pirahnas work well, but are redundant on wet slick stuff. Go with the Nevegals.
    I'm on my second Fox 32, as the upper legs died a quick death on me. The standard just got new links & bearings after 12000km. I'm on the second drivetrain now, but the frame is still working perfectly. The nevagal 2.1's work great.
    Both bikes are incredible rides and the Standard can be set up to be about 23 lbs if you want. They both DH very well and climb like monkeys on acid, but the SL is way faster on the uphill. Especially on very rocky technical sections. The difference on the DH is not noticable at all.
    Buy one you won't regret it.

The MTB Lab
    Hmmm, I have been hammering the Manitou MRD hard for 5 months and never had an issue, the Fox on the other hand is a flexy noodle unless you go to the 15mm Betamax axle version, but I have a test Manitou Minute Elite Absolute 140mm that has an annoying but harmless noise issue with the Absolute damper (happens in non-MRD forks)

Here are two version of my old original Mojo, the lighter one is pretty close to the WTF SL build (minus the SL frame - really only .5 lb diff with my extra stuff) ) and the second is my new light 20mm. Note I don't have light tires, need some more beef in the Rockies.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Smile Mojo SL weight

Mines a medium with fox float r ,xtr drivetrain,hope mono mini pro brakes,hope pro 3 wheels,Carbon sdg seatpost and i fly saddle,continental speed king supersonic 2.1's,easton carbon bars,hope stem and eggbeater 4ti pedals......23lbs 3 oz on my cheap hong kong digital scales.......BUT.......i'm havin as much fun on my on-one 456 ti at the mo...its all about attitude!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I have a medium SL with the Manitou Fork including formula oro's, speed dream wheels
    (355's) with king hubs, run tubless w/stans, XTR, XO rear, Thompson stem & masterpiece seat post and weighs in at about 24 lbs but not sure about the scale. The Manitou did give me some problems but I mailed it Manitou for warranty service. They had it picked up at my house and I had it back in two days. Working fine now and the issue for me was that the platform was not working quite right. I could still have it fully open or completely locked out but in between was no so great. Has been working just fine but the warranty work and customer service was excellent. Here is the info just in case anyone else might need it:

Shanan Barth | Warranty & Technical Support

Shanan.Barth@hayesbicycle.com

Ph: 888.686.3472 | Fax: 414.462.0214

6750 W Florist Ave, Milwaukee , WI 53218

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I have standard Mojo with full XTR except for Magura Marta brakes, Kenda tires with tubes, and Fox Float 140 fork. With pedals it weighs 24.5 lbs.

Members who have read this thread: 0