mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Mojo SL planed build - feedback welcome

Hi guys,

decided to custom build my mojo, I've bought a large white sl frame with blue links and just need to pick all the bits!

I'm 200lbs / 90kg / 14st 4lbs without gear so I wanted to spec up something fairly sturdy as I will be using for UK trail centers and local woods. I wont be doing anything crazy only small jumps and drops maybe 2-3ft. The bike will be built more for going downhill than climbing.

So far this is what I've come up with:

Frame & Shock: Ibis Mojo SL 2010 white/blue links 2400gm Already purchased
    Forks: Rockshox Revelation 2011 XX Dual Air 150mm 20mm maxle 1636gm
    Crank & bottom bracket: Shimano M665 SLX Double w/bash 22/36 1050gm
    Pedals: Wellgo B137B 445gm Already purchased
    Cassette: SRAM PG-990 285gm
    Chain: KMC x9 Ti Hollow pin Gold 249gm
    Headset: Cane Creek IS 110 Blue120gm
    Stem: FSA Gravity Lite 70mm 195gm Coming off donor bike
    Bars: Gravity Carbon DH Riser Bar 206gm Coming off donor bike
    Grips: SRAM Racing Grips 90mm (Gripshift) 120gm
    Gear Shifters: SRAM X-0 Grip Shifters 200gm
    Brakes (Front): Hope Tech V2 203mm Floating blue rotor/Goodridge braided hoses 514gm
    Brakes (Rear): Hope Tech V2 203mm Floating blue rotor/Goodridge braided hoses 514gm
    Gear cables: not sure yet 300gm Guessing the weight here?
    Front Mech: FD-M665 142gm
    Rear Mech: SRAM X-9 227gm
    Wheels: Mavic Crossmax SX 2008 1950gm Coming off donor bike
    Tyres: Maxis minion folding 2.35 (Winter Tyres) 1450gm Already purchased
    Tubes: Continental MTB 26 Light 1.75 2.5 PAIR 260gm Already purchased
    Seat: Charge Limited Edition Surface Spoon Saddle Black/Blue 258gm
    Seatpost: Crank Brothers Joplin 3 (not a definate choice yet, found it half price ) 450gm

Total weight: 12,971gm / 28.5lbs

I was kinda suprised to see how heavy the build will be, I know the tyres and brakes are pretty heavy but should I be that bothered with the weight?

If anyone knows of any brakes that have the modulation and power, plus are as easy to bleed as the hope V2s let me know. I've probably missed something out as well as this is the first time I've ever built a bike up from scratch.

any thoughts or alternative parts recommended?

many thanks

bt

MountainGoat aka OldGoat
    Nice solid build! 28 pounds is a great weight. What are you coming off of?
    Vote with your feet.
    No bike is perfect!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by pachaven
    Nice solid build! 28 pounds is a great weight. What are you coming off of?
    My everyday bike is a GT hardtail 14kg / 31lbs and I have a Marin Quake 7.3 (7" travel) which I use for downhill on sundays that weighs 17kg / 37.5lbs but she has over 3kg / 6.5lbs of rubber and tubes, I don't like to pedal her much!

bt

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Seems like a good weight. Despite all the claims of 25 pound mojos, you really can't build one without seriously compromising in some areas. You'll have to use extra light wheels, a carbon or very light aluminum seatpost, extra light brakes and rotors and usually XX, XO or XTR level drive train.

The only comment I have is that you seem to have this bike built more agressively (minions, drop post, hope v2, Crossmax SX, SLX w/ bash, etc.) and yet you are putting a revelation XX fork on it. I haven't ridden that fork, but I suspect it is constructed with weight being a more important component than performance. That's how the light weight SID and REBA forks perform anyway. I would take the extra weight for a coil fork personally.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I would change the stem for sure:
    Ibis 70mm with Ti bolts = 91 grams.
    XTR cassette.
    ESI grips are half the weight.
    R1 brakes are half the weight.
    Tires.I love the combo I'm running right now. Front, Rocket Ron 2.4 EVO = 490 grams.
    Rear, Conti Race King Supersonic 2.2 [its huge]with black chili compound = 446 grams.Running both tubliss with Stan's sealant.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    yeah my only worry was about the fork and my weight, I guess I probably will be doing more trail riding than jumps but I wanted to have the capability of it being able to handle a bit of abuse when I feel like it. I do like the adjustability of air forks especially my totem 180mm where I can change the pressure depending on whether I'm jumping or just doing steep rooty sections.

I originally planed to use a Fox 36 float or talas but the weight/cost was putting me off. TFtuned say the 2011 revelation is the best trail fork there is, I just don't know how durable they are with the more heavy riders?

I wanted a bike somewhere between my GT hardtail and the Marin 7" travel, something I can have fun on but still pedal up the hills.

bt

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by xc71
    I would change the stem for sure:
    Ibis 70mm with Ti bolts = 91 grams.
    XTR cassette.
    ESI grips are half the weight.
    R1 brakes are half the weight.
    Tires.I love the combo I'm running right now. Front, Rocket Ron 2.4 EVO = 490 grams.
    Rear, Conti Race King Supersonic 2.2 [its huge]with black chili compound = 446 grams.Running both tubliss with Stan's sealant.
    Stem: I was going to put the FSA Gravity stem on to try being as I already have it, then see if I may get a shorter one. I will have a look at a lighter one once I get a feel for what stem length I require but that ibis stem sounds good at less than half the weight. I keep thinking I'm building a downhill bike over specking bombproof bits!

Grips: I figured I can reduce the weight a bit on those, do the ESI grips come in a shorter length for twist shifter? I may leave these till the bike is near full build for the finishing touch!

Tires: I'm only going to use the minions for the winter season here in the UK as my local trails stay pretty wet and boggy most of the winter. I was looking at going tubeless when the weather gets dryer next year possibly Nobbynic/Rocketron?

Brakes: The Formula R1 weighs 270gm without rotors/adapters so I'm guesing 200mm rotors will be around 150gm taking them to 420gm each? I don't believe they have the power of the V2s which I've gone for the goodridge braided hoses which add 97gm. I think Formula 'The one' will be as powerful as the V2s and be a little lighter but no braided hose.

I'm quite heavy and I really need some powerful brakes, I have the V2s with vented rotors / braided hoses on my marin and they seriously kick some a$$. I've also been looking at the Formula mega brakes but can't find too many reviews as to their power and also I would like some brakes that are easy to bleed, standard bleed nipples instead of bleed kits, kind of personal thing I guess. Also it would be handy to keep the same pads for spares for both of my bikes but I guess it's not that important.

thanks for all the comments guys

bt

Members who have read this thread: 0