Thread: Mojo question

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Mojo question

I was about ready to track down a Trek Fuel EX 9.8+, but someone made a comment about an Ibis Mojo.

I have to admit, like GT, the Mojo looks freak'in cool. But why aren't they more popular? GT has had company repurchase issues and the bikes weight too much IMO. Is the Mojo the same issue?

Also, can anyone comment if the XTR / XX is worth the extra cash, because it ranges from $1600 to $1900 extra. At that cost, I might just add nick nacks here and there lol.

Founder: Dirty3hirties
    Quote Originally Posted by leifashley
    I have to admit, like GT, the Mojo looks freak'in cool. But why aren't they more popular? l.
    Popular? Ibis has sold thousands and thousands of Mojo's. Ibis can't compete with the "big" brands (i.e. Trek, Giant, Spesh, etc) in terms of #'s but to say it's not popular is dead wrong.

bikes weight too much IMO. Is the Mojo the same issue?
    Uh....if it isn't #1, the Mojo is at the very top of an elite list of light 140 bikes. I don't know where you're getting your information from or if you have bothered to research it, but you're not going to find many more frames that are 5 lbs (SL) offering 140 mm of travel. I'm not 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure it's the lightest frame in it's category.

IMO, XTR/XX are more about splurging than anything else. XT/X-9 offer maybe 90% of the performance features at half the cost.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I have to admit, like GT, the Mojo looks freak'in cool. But why aren't they more popular? GT has had company repurchase issues and the bikes weight too much IMO. Is the Mojo the same issue?.
    They ARE popular, at least on this forum. Everyone who has seen one wants one, but those who don't know are afraid of carbon. There's a waiting list for the new HD's (despite Ibis pumping them out fast). You don't see more of them because Ibis is a relatively small company. However (or consequently, depending) they have great customer service and the bikes are awesome.

Also, can anyone comment if the XTR / XX is worth the extra cash, because it ranges from $1600 to $1900 extra. At that cost, I might just add nick nacks here and there lol.
    I think if you have to ask... the answer is no. At least, thats my answer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    From what I hear, Trek Fuel's are good bikes, but before you pull the trigger, read everything you can get your hands on about the Ibis and the DW link. If you can get your hands on an Ibis to test-drive, do so. I know that it may not be easy to do in some locations. If you can't get your hands on an Ibis, but you can get your hands on a bike with a DW link, try that.

After reading everything I could find and consulting friends who were total suspension 'geeks', I ended up with the Ibis. After 5 rides (in my first week), I couldn't be happier. My basis of comparison is a 2002-vintage Ellsworth Truth & 2003 Turner (both Horst link & older shocks). After testing my bike and a friend's Turner 5.Spot, my boyfriend is lusting after a DW link bike and has eliminated all non-DW link bikes from the list.

As for XTR or XX, it's a personal choice. I chose the X9 (and upgraded to the Fox Float fork). The bike weighed in at 27lb 9oz. Sure, I'd like to shed a few lbs, but this way, I can upgrade to the components I want over time. To tell you the truth, when I ride the bike, losing weight doesn't enter my mind at all, so I wonder if I'll upgrade to shed weight as much as I originally thought I would.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    *LONG POST WARNING*

ibis may not be as "popular" as the larger companies because they dont spend as much money advertising as the others. they only have one pro rider whereas the other companies may have as many as 50-60 pro's on their bikes throughout their lines. specialized for example has 2 pro tour teams on their road bikes and countless pros on their mountain bikes. not to mention small start up teams like the all ride academy, all the way down to club level teams in local areas. the publicity from that alone is enough to make a company seem more "popular" over another. pro riders aside, larger companies also run ads everywhere. whether it is in a magazine or on tv, publicity is everything.

now just because one company spends more on advertising and marketing does not make it "better" or any less of a bike than a company with a smaller marketing dept. my guess is that this is why you may think ibis is not as "popular". the larger companies have a larger marketing dept and they have done their job and done it well.

as for the XTR/XX stuff. it really comes down to how much you are willing to spend up front vs how much you are going to spend down the line. im a starving college student. i worked ALL summer and sold a lot of toys, spare parts, etc just to afford the base model mojo sl. for me it was not worth to get the "WTF" packages simply because i could not afford it. yes i am racing this bike, but no i am not at the level of competition that demands the highest end of the spectrum. IMO no one NEEDS XTR or XX on their bikes. one step down in components (XT, X0) is just as good as their higher end brothers and sisters; with the exception of weight. often times you will not even feel the difference between XT vs XTR and X0 vs XX. at that level, everything shifts good, and the brakes modulate well. the only thing you may be missing is an extra knob, feature, or a rear cog at most... maybe a few extra grams on top of that. but will you really be missing that feature if you've never had it before? others try the new features and dont like it, thus going back to the lower models.

so is XX or XTR worth it? its a matter of opinion. in my opinion some people cant sleep at night until they know that what is on their bike is the absolute BEST thing that is offered right now. some people can afford that mentality others can only dream of it. i for one am in the latter part of that population.

so really you have to ask yourself:

"what do i want on my bike"
    "what do i want to do with my bike"
    "does what i want to do with this bike justify the extra $XXX"
    "can i afford to replace these parts if i crash and break something"
    "am i more worried about performance or what my friends will say when i bring it to the trail the first time"

depending on how you answer the questions above will tell you the worth of going with the "WTF" packages vs the lower packages. every one is in their own different situation. who knows you could be bill gates and have friends with high expectations to impress. or you could be a highschool student and just the fact that you have a full suspension bike is enough to wow all of your buddies.

i could go on about these subjects but im sure ive over spent my $0.02 with this post.

i would like to end with the comment: even though i have the base model mojo and i stare at the more expensive stuff at night. all of these thoughts of how much faster i can be or how much lighter my bike will be tend to melt away once the bike starts rolling. not that those thoughts dont reform once i get off the bike, but when i am on the bike, i just dont care... so long as nothing is broken.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ddraewwg
    Popular? Ibis has sold thousands and thousands of Mojo's. Ibis can't compete with the "big" brands (i.e. Trek, Giant, Spesh, etc) in terms of #'s but to say it's not popular is dead wrong.

Uh....if it isn't #1, the Mojo is at the very top of an elite list of light 140 bikes. I don't know where you're getting your information from or if you have bothered to research it, but you're not going to find many more frames that are 5 lbs
    On both, thousands doesn't make them popular. Craigs or ebay check Trek and Specialized, and they dwarf the rest in numbers. You could argue people keep their bike 'x', but that's BS too. I'm just looking to see how popular they are and general function.

I haven't gotten information on Mojo, if you'd had read my comments, the GT bikes are the ones I was talking about, and they are flat out heavy. 22-25lbs is reasonable, but 28+ is not (like GT).

I'm just getting a feel for the Ibis Mojo line, because the fact I mix/match the ordering and components if f'ing cool. I love their web site.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Woot

Just a heads up to everyone, I have 2 dealers in my area that carry Ibis, calling them now to see if they have a mojo in stock :P

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I haven't gotten information on Mojo, if you'd had read my comments, the GT bikes are the ones I was talking about, and they are flat out heavy. 22-25lbs is reasonable, but 28+ is not (like GT).
    You aren't going to find many 5.5" bikes in the 22-25lb range without spending huge amounts of money and putting XX/XTR and other expensive bits all over them. As was said before, a X-9 equipped/Float Mojo is gonna be in the 28lb range, you can drop a few pounds with expensive bits, I am happy with mine at 28ish, don't need to spend the money to lose the weight and lower the reliability/durability.

Founder: Dirty3hirties
    On both, thousands doesn't make them popular. Craigs or ebay check Trek and Specialized, and they dwarf the rest in numbers. You could argue people keep their bike 'x', but that's BS too. I'm just looking to see how popular they are and general function.

I'm just getting a feel for the Ibis Mojo line, because the fact I mix/match the ordering and components if f'ing cool. I love their web site.
    Yes I read your comment and it was confusing if you were referencing the Mojo or GT but since you posted this thread on the Ibis forum, I assumed it was directed toward the Mojo.

So you're comparing the ads you see on eBay/Craigslist as a sign of how popular a brand is? Um...ok. Dunno what logic that follows. You do understand that Spesh/Trek are some of THEEE biggest bike companies in the world. Ibis is "boutique" brand much like Turner, Ventana, Knolly, Pivot, Intense, Canfield, etc etc. There are dozens and dozens of even smaller, less well known brands. If popularity wins it for you, stay with Trek and Spesh. I don't even know why you even care or how popularity makes for a better bike.

Oh and I would argue that "thousands" does make the Mojo extremely popular considering their demand vs. Ibis's operating capacity. You can buy a Spesh or Trek at any store, no wait. Try ordering a Mojo HD and you will find it's a 4 month wait....people have been waiting for the frames for 1 year in some instances.

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by ddraewwg
    So you're comparing the ads you see on eBay/Craigslist as a sign of how popular a brand is? Um...ok. Dunno what logic that follows.
    Backwards logic IMO.
    Lots of Spesh/Trek bikes on ebay/cl to me means people aren't happy with them.
    Finding a Mojo is hard simply because people love them and don't want to let them go, and when one does come up it's a matter of hours before it gets sold.

Too Much Fun

The end of your post says it all...

Quote Originally Posted by Linga115
    ...all of these thoughts of how much faster i can be or how much lighter my bike will be tend to melt away once the bike starts rolling.
    Well said.

I love the ill bling as much as the next fellow and I've owned bikes that cost more then new cars, but the bottom line is exactly what you said: when the rubber (side down!) hits the trail, it doesn't matter if you rocking the latest XX/XTR ish or last year's used SLX, a decent riding, well put together bike and a nice patch of trail are all that matters.

I'd prefer being on a Mojo... but yeah, parts are secondary to the experience.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    But why aren't they more popular?

Pick your bike like you should have picked your friends in high school...not because of popularity, but because of how all around rock solid they are. I've owned Trek and Giant mtn bikes and I've never made a better decision about a new bike than when i bought my Mojo.

Highest end components are not worh the cash in the short term, but in my experience if you plan to keep them for many years you will never regret buying them.

flow where ever you go
    On my trails there is more Spesh that anything (but that includes all models and years). Of course Spech has more stores, more advertising and etc. The second most seen bike is hard to say, but Ibis is definitely a possibility, and is definitely the fastest growing where I live. I was one of the first with a Mojo, but now I usually see at least one other on every ride. Who sells the most? I don't care. Who has the best bike and best costumer service combination - now that matters! - and Ibis wins!!
    Last edited by noshortcuts; 10-17-2010 at 12:46 AM.

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

mtbr member
    May 2006
    more popular? around where i ride (so cali) mojos are one of the most popular, next to a sc blur, those are 2 of the most common bikes i see around here hands down.

Members who have read this thread: 0