mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Mojo Maintenance

Is there any kind of high mileage maintenance that needs to be done? I've had the bike for two years. I keep it clean and lubed regularly, and it's been hassle free. I recently started hearing a slight creak from the bike while climbing. Not sure if it's the links (I upgraded to lopes over a year ago) or the crank. Should I grease the bearings in the links?? Or is it not worth the time... I don't want it to sound like a VPP

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by grandegrande
    Is there any kind of high mileage maintenance that needs to be done? I've had the bike for two years. I keep it clean and lubed regularly, and it's been hassle free. I recently started hearing a slight creak from the bike while climbing. Not sure if it's the links (I upgraded to lopes over a year ago) or the crank. Should I grease the bearings in the links?? Or is it not worth the time... I don't want it to sound like a VPP
    It is probably time for front and rear shock maintenance. The pivot bearings are probably ready to be greased or replaced. Mine was creaking (lower pivot) and I greased the bearings and all is quiet again.
    milesW

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by miles wadsworth
    It is probably time for front and rear shock maintenance. The pivot bearings are probably ready to be greased or replaced. Mine was creaking (lower pivot) and I greased the bearings and all is quiet again.
    Fork and shock have been rebuilt. Question about greasing the bearings; do you remove the seal on the bearing and pack it with grease? Then just put the seal back on?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by grandegrande
    Fork and shock have been rebuilt. Question about greasing the bearings; do you remove the seal on the bearing and pack it with grease? Then just put the seal back on?

Thanks!
    Yes, that is what I did with both links.Packed with lots of grease, put the seals back on and I rotated the bearings to spread the grease.
    milesW

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by miles wadsworth
    Yes, that is what I did with both links.Packed with lots of grease, put the seals back on and I rotated the bearings to spread the grease.
    I do this as well unless the bearings feel badly notched or I can't get them to rotate completely.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I went ahead and pulled the links yesterday. I was unable to remove the bearings from the links since they seem to be press fitted in there pretty tight. I was only able to remove the seal on one side of each bearing, and proceeded to pack with grease and pop the seal back on. Is that good enough? They are definitely much smoother now; almost like new.

mtbr member
    just grease and adjust and proceed to ride it like you stole it

Members who have read this thread: 0