Mojo HD5 is here (time to talk about it)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Mojo HD5 is here (time to talk about it)

After what? A month of rumors, the HD5, as anybody already knows, is here.

It looks good. Given the advanced state of MTB development it is an unavoidably evolutionary 650b bike. Steeper seat angle, slacker front and 170 mm fork travel, smaller changes in suspension linkage and dimensions. It is the 650b alternative to the Ripmo, with a very, very, smart choice in travel numbers.

I am very thankful Ibis is not dropping 650b from its line up. Hopefully a 2020 Mojo will see the light, same geometry, 150/133 (note the 133 ), maybe 1/4 pound lighter frame, it could be my third Mojo, to get on board about 2022, after the Classic and the HD3, hopefully all the way to 2030: my 25th year on a Mojo

Mojo HD5 is here (time to talk about it)-p5pb17778780.jpgMojo HD5 is here (time to talk about it)-img_0118.jpgMojo HD5 is here (time to talk about it)-1.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    New one looks good! Glad they tweaked the geo and layout enough to get the X2 out of the cross brace, that always bothered me on the HD4.

mtbr member
    Any sightings in the wild or true ride reviews yet? The roll-out was super focused on the light suspension tune, but i am hoping some overall ride reviews come out from people who aren't accompanied by the Ibis engineer/marketing team so we can get a more holistic view on the bike. Especially vs. HD4 which i was a big fan of.

mtbr member
    I rode HyMasa and Upper Captain Ahab at Outerbike on the HD5 and absolutely loved it! I'm an M3 owner and generally prefer sporty, precise riding bikes so I expected the HD5 to not suit my preferences, but I came away wanting one. It also convinced me that 650b wheels aren't dead yet.

Typical of ibis bikes, it feels very natural to ride. It pedals efficiently and climbed great. It was a treat to have on the techy HyMasa features. The traction tune really did an amazing job of helping the wheel follow the terrain. I came away a believer. The trade off is that sometimes your weight will compress the suspension while maneuvering up climbs and you get pedal strikes. I should have played with the compression damping and turned it up a bit for the climbs to see if it would alleviate some of that, but I didn't. That does help on my M3. It didn't wander at all climbing.

As a good bike does, it kept building my confidence on the way down. I like techy downhills and do ok, but I'm pretty average in my ability. We took the jeep road down the latter part of the descent to bypass the "red" section of Captain Ahab's and that has a bunch of stair steppy features with a lot of line options. Rather than finding the "smart" way down, I found I was looking for tougher lines because the bike kept giving me more. The HD5 was a wonderful tool for the job.

I think my perfect stable would be a Ripley for the trail days and the HD5 for the techy days. They would be quite complimentary with different capabilities with little adjustment required to move from one to the other.

mtbr member
    Running mine mullet and it rips

Mojo HD5 is here (time to talk about it)-d8f09c76-c368-41ce-beb7-08cddc87fe29.jpg

mtbr member
    What travel is your fork with the 29" wheel?

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Iím keen to see a comparison between HD4 and HD5 asap as I have just sold my Banshee Rune & my HD3 and have money to spend!
    I can get a great deal on a HD4 versus paying full price for a HD5!
    (or do I go Ripmo!?!?) Decisions!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Haha, bike just came out and youíre already modding it. Did you even try to ride it as it was designed? Any experience to share? I saw ibis did not recommend mulletbiking it in the pink bike comments due to the changes it makes to the geo.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by dansmac View Post
    Iím keen to see a comparison between HD4 and HD5 asap as I have just sold my Banshee Rune & my HD3 and have money to spend!
    I can get a great deal on a HD4 versus paying full price for a HD5!
    (or do I go Ripmo!?!?) Decisions!!

Great deal on old version, the latest frame design, or 29er...is that even a question - HD5
    unless we talking 50% off...

On different note, looking forward to to hear real life review and comparison between HD5 and Bronson v3.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lubb1 View Post
    Haha, bike just came out and youíre already modding it. Did you even try to ride it as it was designed? Any experience to share? I saw ibis did not recommend mulletbiking it in the pink bike comments due to the changes it makes to the geo.
    I will try it 27.5 at some point. I have built a couple mullet bikes the Yeti SB165 and SB140 and like they way they ride. The tune on this bike is noticeably different than the ripmo so it will take a little time to dial it in and get used to it but I do like it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Rom3n View Post
    I will try it 27.5 at some point. I have built a couple mullet bikes the Yeti SB165 and SB140 and like they way they ride. The tune on this bike is noticeably different than the ripmo so it will take a little time to dial it in and get used to it but I do like it.
    How is the new HD5 compared to the SB140 & SB165? and if you had or tried the Bronson v3, how would you compare it to the others?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy-Runs View Post
    Great deal on old version, the latest frame design, or 29er...is that even a question - HD5
    unless we talking 50% off...

On different note, looking forward to to hear real life review and comparison between HD5 and Bronson v3.
    $2300 for HD4 with DPX2 vs $3580 for HD5 with X2

mtbr member

Thatís the US concerted Price... in Oz itís about $5200 for the HD5 Aussie vs $3500 for the HD4 Aussie as above..

mtbr member
    So the big new thing with the HD5 is the shock tune ...

Would this new shock tune not also work on the HD3/4 ?

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by DH_WP View Post
    So the big new thing with the HD5 is the shock tune ...

Would this new shock tune not also work on the HD3/4 ?
    Hm, I think that while Ibis has been putting an emphasis on the shock tune, I'd say the geometry changes are much more important. The steeper seat tube angle is really going to make it more pleasant to climb, and reach/wheelbase increase will make it more stable going back down.

I agree that the new shock tune will also work on all their other bikes. Perhaps the more linear linkage in the HD3 might struggle a bit without enough compression damping, but on the HD4 I cant see why it wouldn't work nicely.

A key takeaway for me from watching the Kendall-Weed video was that the concept here is really to move the adjustable area for the suspension down to a more open base tune. Some faster/heavier riders may tune the compression/rebound damping back up to where they had it on the old tunes, but for a lot of riders the optimal settings were not possible to achieve with the old tunes. I run the high speed compression fully open on my Ripmo, and could probably benefit from a lighter tune on this bike. I'm not convinced I could run my rebound that much faster though...
    Instagram: "lubbduro"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lubb1 View Post
    Hm, I think that while Ibis has been putting an emphasis on the shock tune, I'd say the geometry changes are much more important. The steeper seat tube angle is really going to make it more pleasant to climb, and reach/wheelbase increase will make it more stable going back down.
    I am betting that the lighter tunes becomes a trend you see other mfgs follow. It just makes sense when you see how many riders run their shocks fully or near fully open. I came away a believer in my time demoing one. I am a lighter rider though, like the challenge of a techy climb, and typically don't plow going down, so I fit the mold of the target audience for the lighter tune.

The geometry changes on the other hand are becoming the norm. Good changes for the HD5, but it would have been surprising if they hadn't gone this way.

mtbr member
    Wuls having a shock like the X2 or CC IL not give the same effect as you can manualy change the settings ? or is there is something deeper inside the Shox that needs to be change ?

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Quote Originally Posted by DH_WP View Post
    Wuls having a shock like the X2 or CC IL not give the same effect as you can manualy change the settings ? or is there is something deeper inside the Shox that needs to be change ?
    A fully adjustable shock should be able to fit your needs, but can be out of the tunning range.

The new Ibis DW links rear ends are so good, combined with the latest generation of air springs means that you don't need much compression damping. A little spring progression will feel better than more HSC.

Custom light weight tunes will shift the adjustment range down and allow you to be in the middle of the range instead of max out at the end. My Ripmo is basically running no HSC front and rear. It would be nice to revalve the HSC so that I could select how little of the nothing I do want, but I don't know how much difference it would make.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

mtbr member
    Who has HD4's for $2300 please?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon View Post
    Call Jenson

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Anyone in the sales side know how the bike is selling? It does seem on Ibisís order website all sizes and colors are ready to ship immediately which is quite different from the Ripmo and Ripley launches.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale-Calgary View Post
    Anyone in the sales side know how the bike is selling? It does seem on Ibisís order website all sizes and colors are ready to ship immediately which is quite different from the Ripmo and Ripley launches.
    By looking at this thread there is a cool reception for this bike.

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    I personally have no interest in a 27.5 bike. Also going full enduro limits the bikes everyday use. The Ripmo is 90% of the descending ability and 150% better the climbs. All number where made up .
    I'm not the target audience though.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    I personally have no interest in a 27.5 bike. Also going full enduro limits the bikes everyday use. The Ripmo is 90% of the descending ability and 150% better the climbs. All number where made up .
    Yeah, I think the new HD5 is the perfect 27.5 "Enduro" bike. But since the Ripmo came out, I see only a little demand for a long-travel 27.5 "trail" bike from Ibis, no matter how good it is.
    Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD5
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Chose my HD4 over the Ripmo. The HD4 is a more aggressive bike than the Ripmo. HD5 maybe more so.

But yeah, I do agree that it definitely didn't garner the attention as the 29r bikes. Really, it isn't much more than the HD4. I'd say a refined HD4.

Now if they bumped the travel up bigley or tossed some 29r wheels on it than it would have raised some eyebrows. Traction Tune???

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Just want to add, that I absolutely love my HD4. it's an amazing bike and hauls ass. Yes, I do have a Ripley LS so I'm not missing out on the 29r thing. Personally I like the 27.5 with big tires (2.5-2.6). Prefer my 29r with 2.3s.

27.5 is a lot of fun.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    Curious why Ibis didn't jump into the 29er band wagon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ibismojo09 View Post
    Curious why Ibis didn't jump into the 29er band wagon.
    Haven't you noticed the Ripmo and the Ripley? Thankfully Ibis offers two bikes in 29 AND 27.5. Hopefully the Mojo will continue

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Davide View Post
    Haven't you noticed the Ripmo and the Ripley?
    This.

I'm often confused by this forum and people asking for a HD 29. Ripmo AF fits the bill and carbon Ripmo with angled headset does too.

I think I heard Jeff Kendall Weed even refer to the HD as more playful/less enduro than the Ripmo. He's pretty familiar with their bikes.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bikedrd View Post
    This.

I'm often confused by this forum and people asking for a HD 29. Ripmo AF fits the bill and carbon Ripmo with angled headset does too.

I think I heard Jeff Kendall Weed even refer to the HD as more playful/less enduro than the Ripmo. He's pretty familiar with their bikes.
    29r HD5 would have more travel than the RIPMO AF. (See Pivot Firebird/Megatower) etc. Ripmo AF is aluminium/lower spec.

Ripmo is not more aggressive than the HD5.

Hopefully we start seeing some HD5 reviews coming in.

mtbr member
    May 2011

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Haven't you noticed the Ripmo and the Ripley? Thankfully Ibis offers two bikes in 29 AND 27.5. Hopefully the Mojo will continue
    I was just expecting that they will come out with a real dedicated enduro bike with a 29 wheels. Or maybe an hd5 that you can swap from 27 to 29.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck_tacoma View Post
    29r HD5 would have more travel
    I hear you. I do want more travel in 29 and 27. 5. They seem to be stuck at 150ish. My feeling is HD5 and Ripmo are similar travels, so my 170 forked, headset adjusted Ripmo is kind of HD. But I to would like another 20/25 mm in back too.

Sorry to steer off subject. Back on it, I'm looking forward to more HD5 reviews.

Ride On!
    I was just expecting that they will come out with a real dedicated enduro bike with a 29 wheels. Or maybe an hd5 that you can swap from 27 to 29.
    While the Ripmo, HD4, HD3 have been marketed as "Trail Bikes", they all have done extremely well in the EWS. In 2017 Ibis won the EWS Team Championship with the HD3 & HD4. Just my 2 cents worth.

BTW, I miss my HD3, really fun and capable bike. Right now I am riding a Ripmo and love it, but do miss the nimbleness of 27.5 at times.

mtbr member
    I'm a 29er guy and I have been having a great time with the HD5. It allows me to easily do some things that can be tricky on a big 29er and is overall much more playful and fun to ride. It will not have the traction or rollover my 29ers have and will not hold the same levels of all out speed but it does provide a different riding experience when wanted. I have had a Bronson and Nomad and I think I prefer the HD5 over both.

Mojo HD5 is here (time to talk about it)-8a746ca5-2a86-4b22-8698-5a794b48df3d.jpg

mtbr member
    I think people obsess a bit about millimeters. You can win any level enduro race on a Ripmo (or an HD5). On the trail? Any of HD3, HD4, HD5, Ripmo, is a super bike and so are a Ripley or Mojo if your trails are somewhat tamer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I think people obsess a bit about millimeters. You can win any level enduro race on a Ripmo (or an HD5). On the trail? Any of HD3, HD4, HD5, Ripmo, is a super bike and so are a Ripley or Mojo if your trails are somewhat tamer.
    I agree. Looking at the top EWS riders, almost everyone on a 29er is on a 150mm bike (Richie Rude's Yeti SB150, Martin Maes's GT Force 29er, Florian Nicolai and Dmitri Tordo's Canyon Strive). Sam Hill is the outlier at 160mm in the rear, but that's about it (I'm not sure about Kevin Miquel's Sunn Kern bike, but the only bike check I could find had the prototype at 150 too).

Now, maybe I could use 20 more mm as I'm notably worse at riding than those guys, but really long travel bikes don't seem to be the ticket for winning top level enduro races.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm not a Enduro racer...don't care about Enduro. I want a kick ass bike! My HD4 is awesome, wouldn't a HD5 with 170 front and back be even more awesome? I say yes!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I'm not a Enduro racer...don't care about Enduro. I want a kick ass bike! My HD4 is awesome, wouldn't a HD5 with 170 front and back be even more awesome? I say yes!!
    Ha, I can't say. It would be awesome I'm sure. But maybe a very different bike.

I'm not on an HD#, but I am on the Santa Cruz equivalent (the Bronson) and I rarely want the step up (the Nomad) unless I'm in the bike park. It's a really cool bike, but a 170mm bike is getting to be a pretty specific tool.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    Ha, I can't say. It would be awesome I'm sure. But maybe a very different bike.

I'm not on an HD#, but I am on the Santa Cruz equivalent (the Bronson) and I rarely want the step up (the Nomad) unless I'm in the bike park. It's a really cool bike, but a 170mm bike is getting to be a pretty specific tool.
    Wanted a Nomad really bad! Ended up with a HD4. Guess, Iím thinking a DW ibis would be a little more pedal friendly even at 170.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon View Post

Are you still looking?

https://www.backcountry.com/ibis-moj...6-0050569406b5

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Wanted a Nomad really bad! Ended up with a HD4. Guess, Iím thinking a DW ibis would be a little more pedal friendly even at 170.
    You made the right choice.

I loved my HD4 and the geo updates of HD5 bring it into 2019. I'm sure Ibis will do something with 29er soon enough.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Creg View Post
    You made the right choice.

I loved my HD4 and the geo updates of HD5 bring it into 2019. I'm sure Ibis will do something with 29er soon enough.
    I sure hope so. the ripmo's been there for quite sometime now. Hopefully they will update the carbon version next year.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Hereís my new HD5

Shout out to Probike Supply for being great to work with.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4nnNz7F...on_share_sheet

The bike shop took better pics than I did. Super stoked! I went from an HD3- HD4- Ripmo- and now HD5.
    The Ripmo is an awesome bike, I just always missed the HD4. I personally prefer the smaller wheels.

Build-
    Large w/ X2 (Iím 5í9 1/2)
    Lyrik Ultimate
    WeAreOne on I9s
    Shimano XT 12sp
    Race face Next R cranks and bar
    TRP DH G-spec brakes
    Fox Transfer 175mm w/ Wolftooth lever

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Daleyridin View Post
    Hereís my new HD5

The bike shop took better pics than I did. Super stoked! I went from an HD3- HD4- Ripmo- and now HD5.
    The Ripmo is an awesome bike, I just always missed the HD4. I personally prefer the smaller wheels.

Build-
    Lyrik Ultimate
    WeAreOne on I9s
    Shimano XT 12sp
    TRP DH G-spec brakes
    How do you like the Large HD5? I'm same height as you and debating on a medium or large HD5. Seems like ibis has made the geometry significantly larger for all HD5 sizes so a medium should fit decent but I'm tempted to just get a large and if it's a bit too long, just reducing reach with a shorter stem.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    The large is perfect. Mine has a 40mm stem and 780mm bars. I demoed it with a 50mm and a 30mm stem. The 30 also felt great, the 50 was a little too long.
    My large Ripmo felt bigger. Itís also a more comfortable bike than the Ripmo. No hand pressure in between the climbs and descents.

This bike is so much fun.

mtbr member
    I know the FAQs on the ibis website say that the HD5 is not compatible with "mulleting" the bike, but I'm sure someone will try it. Has anyone here experimented with it? My guess is that a 150mm fork would nearly offset the wheel difference while maintaining balance between front and rear travel. There are a lot of variables to consider though and the handling impacts would also be affected the axle to crown measurement and the resultant trail due to fork offset vs any angle changes. Just wondering if the right combo exists out there to maintain the bikes handling characteristics? I'm not sure the bike needs it, but tinkerers will tinker...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Umm, see post #5. He did it and appeared to like it (with a 160mm fork) but looks like he's back on the 27.5 as later in the thread it appears he has a different fork from on it from before.
    Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD5
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

mtbr member
    Yeah, but I am picturing a build that tries to optimize it more for trail vs enduro, i.e., something that preservers the handling while climbing and improves pedaling efficiency. It seems like with a light yet capable build it could be an interesting option...maybe that's what they will do with the M4.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I demo'd an HD5 today on a whim. My LBS, Rage Cycles in Scottsdale, AZ, had a bunch of demos that Ibis had sent over. It was an XL, XT build with carbon wheels and bars. I'm 6'2, 34 inseam, +2 ape index. Bike had a Factory 36 with Grip 2 and a Performance DPX2.

Test ride was on National Trail at South Mountain; I was a little short on time, so just up to the Waterfall and back.

It rides like an Ibis, very neutral, excellent pedaling characteristics, fits nicely. It's a beautiful bike, I personally really love the weird brown color palette.

I did my own basic ride setup, so 20% sag in the fork, 17mm on the shock, which was open. I definitely did notice the traction tune thing. For me, it meant I had to run a bunch more rebound damping than I typically do, particularly in the rear, to keep it from bouncing around.

I haven't ridden a small-wheel bike in nearly two years. As nice as the HD5 is, it definitely reminded me why I'm a 29er person.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Anyone ridden the HD5 enough now that has also ridden the HD3? I love my HD3, but at times in real climbs it's a struggle for me. The HD5 has some minor tweaks that might help, but in practice, sometimes this stuff really doesn't matter. I would plan to set the HD5 up with my 160mm forks which should also help a tad and make the HD5 feel somewhat shorter ( a plus for me ). Unless I get the sense the HD5 climbs "noticeably" better, I would just continue to be happy with my HD3.

Thanks

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I owned an HD3 a couple years back. Above is my brief thoughts on an HD5 demo. Do I think the HD5 climbs better? No.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel_l View Post
    Anyone ridden the HD5 enough now that has also ridden the HD3? I love my HD3, but at times in real climbs it's a struggle for me. The HD5 has some minor tweaks that might help, but in practice, sometimes this stuff really doesn't matter. I would plan to set the HD5 up with my 160mm forks which should also help a tad and make the HD5 feel somewhat shorter ( a plus for me ). Unless I get the sense the HD5 climbs "noticeably" better, I would just continue to be happy with my HD3.

Thanks
    I've only got 1 day of riding (35 miles) the HD5 but it clearly climbs better compared to the HD3. I had 3 years on the HD3. It seems to just zip up stuff with little effort. I'm guessing this is largely due to the steeper seat tube, don't know what else it would be.

That said, I'm not so sure I'm comfortable with the slack HT of 64.2 degrees. Not sure if it's just something I need to get used to, but the HD3 climbed tighter/more tech climbs better. I was running 20% sag on the fork though and I think I'll change it to 30% which will steepen the HT angle.

Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Daleyridin View Post
    Hereís my new HD5

Build-
    Lyrik Ultimate
    WeAreOne on I9s
    Shimano XT 12sp
    TRP DH G-spec brakes
    How have you found the suspension balance with traction tune rear and Lyrik rc2? Coming from a Ripmo, looking at a hd5 and wondering if thereís merit in having the traction tune fork and shock together or if It makes no difference?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Iím 195 lbs ready to ride and just set the suspension up to where it feels right... not sure how close I am to Ibis settings on X2.

I dig the Lyrik. Super easy to set up, more supple on the small stuff ( not quite as composed as the 36 on repeated big hits). Overall I like it better than the Fox.
    I still have more adjustment to speed up the rebound and open up the compression... but Iím not a fan of ďwildĒ suspension. I hated the way ShockWiz wanted me set up my fork.
    Iím running my Lyrik with 90psi (just over recommended), 7-8 clicks rebound counter clockwise, and 1 click HSC/ 9 clicks LSC from closed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I pulled the trigger and bought the HD5 in a large. I think the fit is right on for me. I used my 160mm 44mm offset Talas 36 fork from my HD3. I going to try and do a real ride tomorrow but just a quick jaunt around the house, in saddle feels the same, feels longer ( more room ) off the saddle. This is what I would expect given the geometry change. The other thing I noticed is feeling more over the cranks when sitting and pedaling. This is the aspect I hope makes it feel better in a climb.

If the HD5 truly feels better climbing and I can do it without shortening the TALAS for climbing, I will swap it for the proper Float 170. I have most everything I need to put the HD3 back together minus a fork and brakes. I also borrowed the XT brakes from the HD3. I will eventually replace those with XTR 9120 or Magura MT7, still deciding.

My build,

Large HD5 X2 black
    TALAS 160 Fork
    XT brakes 180mm disc
    XTR 12 speed shifter and 10-51 rear cassette
    RaceFace Next R carbon cranks
    Crank Brothers Highline 7 150mm dropper
    DT Swiss 240S straight pull centerlock hobs
    DT SWiss M521 i35 hoops
    Specialized Butcher Grid rear tire
    Maxxis High Roller II front

Looking forward to giving it all a go. It does feel different than the HD3, see how that translates on a real ride.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Good to hear Joel. I think yer gonna dig it.

Of note, I've spent more time on mine and no longer feel the slacked-out fork is a problem. I changed the fork sag from 20% to 25% and it seemed to make a big difference. I'm in piss-poor winter shape right now and I did some climbs in a gear higher than I usually do in the summer.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Though I currently have XT brakes on my new HD5 ( cause I had them ), I decided to try the Magura MT7 Pros. Have a set on the way. This will be the first time I have used something other than XT brakes on a bike. I actually found some XTR brakes for not much more, but with the exception of some people having issues bleeding the Maguras, folks seem to really like them. I shall soon find out what I think.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I got a first short ride in, too much mud to do what I wanted but enough of a ride to say I notice a difference and I like it. I went to do my usual climbing ride but with the warm weather, there is a lot of snow melt making it muddy. From what I did get to do, I found I was not constantly trying to slide forward on the seat to pedal. Did not get to the really steep parts to tell if going to the float 170 will be an OK move. Not sure when I'll be able to do that.

So far so good and happy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I decided to put the 170mm Grip 2 fork on my bike. I notice I need to run a whole lot less pressure than what the setup guide says. I'm at 50PSI to get 48mm sag compared to 75-80PSI as the suggested starting point. I don't ever recall being that far off with other forks/shocks in the past.

Anyone else finding this with the newest fork?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    You in seated or in attack position when measuring? Makes a big difference.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    You in seated or in attack position when measuring? Makes a big difference.
    I'm using the standing method as described in the Ibis manual. Seated it's even worse.

I rode around a bit today, not a real MTB ride but it felt right. Turning felt a little different vs the 160mm 44mm offset fork, but not anything that would be a problem. Looking forward to some real rides.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm using the standing method as described in the Ibis manual. Seated it's even worse.

I rode around a bit today, not a real MTB ride but it felt right. Turning felt a little different vs the 160mm 44mm offset fork, but not anything that would be a problem. Looking forward to some real rides.
    I just use sag as a starting point. Takes a bunch of rides on different terrain before I settle on a PSI.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I got my first real climb ( steep ) in today. So far I really like the HD5. For me, it seemed to climb better than my HD3 with -1 headset and TALAS fork all the way down. I gauge better by how much wandering the front end does. I also found myself not try to slide forward on the seat as much.

About half way up the ride I ran into snow and mud ( clay ) so came back down. Now I really want to see how this bike goes on the single track down. I have sections that are fast and some that are a little more technical. We are getting more snow, so that might have to wait a bit.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I decided to put the 170mm Grip 2 fork on my bike. I notice I need to run a whole lot less pressure than what the setup guide says. I'm at 50PSI to get 48mm sag compared to 75-80PSI as the suggested starting point. I don't ever recall being that far off with other forks/shocks in the past.

Anyone else finding this with the newest fork?
    Joel,

Same thing for me on the same bike. Was running 50psi to get sag where it recommended 90psi. Also, I couldn't get full travel.

Had shop tear the fork apart. Lowers were completely dry and pos/neg equalizing port thinger was full of grease.

Set up sag again in garage at 60psi but it rode at 50% and bottomed waaaay too easily. Settling on 80psi now, will still tinker...

Anywho, it's an entirely different fork now and rides like it should. Piss-poor assembly from Fox.

Hope this helps. Take it to your shop and see what they say.

-Bryce

Keep on Rockin...
    HD5 overkill for a heavy duty trail bike?

The HD5 is in the running for my next bike. I'd run it with a 160mm fork. It would be a heavy hitting trail/AM bike, not enduro - meaning climbing would be on techy single track at least as challenging as the descents. I'm not into the fire road climbs to get to the descents.

Does the relatively slack HTA on this bike make it a bad choice? I'm afraid it would get too floppy and slow on the tight stuff. The shorter fork might help. If this bike had a bit steeper HTA it would make me happier - on paper. As much as I like longer bikes slacker bikes I'm still a fan of nimble. Its the main reason I still like 275 wheels on a longer travel rig. (29" for xc/trail)

Also, anyone having issues with rear shock failures? The last bike I owned with a yoke like the HD created side loading to the point where I went through 4 shocks/rebuilds in a 2 year period.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post

The HD5 is in the running for my next bike. I'd run it with a 160mm fork. It would be a heavy hitting trail/AM bike, not enduro - meaning climbing would be on techy single track at least as challenging as the descents. I'm not into the fire road climbs to get to the descents.

Does the relatively slack HTA on this bike make it a bad choice? I'm afraid it would get too floppy and slow on the tight stuff. The shorter fork might help. If this bike had a bit steeper HTA it would make me happier - on paper. As much as I like longer bikes slacker bikes I'm still a fan of nimble. Its the main reason I still like 275 wheels on a longer travel rig. (29" for xc/trail)

Also, anyone having issues with rear shock failures? The last bike I owned with a yoke like the HD created side loading to the point where I went through 4 shocks/rebuilds in a 2 year period.
    To your last point, was it with a Cane Creek 1st generation Inline shock? If so, it was the shock. Everyone I know with an HD-whatever (including myself) have not had that problem otherwise.

To your first point, this was my goal exactly, that of maintaining the nimble/fun. I too was thinking the HT angle was too slack but have now decided it's fine. I've taken it down very slow (like 0 mph stuff) super tricky tech and it did better than my old HD3 as it doesn't get hung up on stuff quite as easily. Also, after a bit of practice, it seems to climb the same tricky stuff just as well. In fact, I'd say it climbs it better if any of said tech climb is seated. I do run my fork at 25-30% sag though which effectively makes it a 160mm compared to a lesser sag.

Hope that helps.

Keep on Rockin...
    Thanks. No. The shocks were all Fox.

mtbr member

I don't own one but I demo'd one and didn't notice any wheel flop climbing. It felt like an ibis. It climbed tech quite well. I typically stay seated most of the time up this kind of stuff and the bike crawled up stuff nicely. Going down...A+.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bizango View Post
    I don't own one but I demo'd one and didn't notice any wheel flop climbing. It felt like an ibis. It climbed tech quite well. I typically stay seated most of the time up this kind of stuff and the bike crawled up stuff nicely. Going down...A+.
    I do own one and it replaced a V1 Ripmo which was my first Ibis ever. Admittedly, I prefer 27.5 bikes when things get tight &/or dicey. The HD5 has been a complete dream bike so far. I'm old enough to get AARP benefits and I've always been a sit & spin climber but one of my stronger riding points is crawling over techy climbs when most of my group is walking. The HD5 has been great in that regard so far.

I actually feel bad for Ibis and all the "pro" reviews seem to knock the HD5 for not being the best bike for ________. Whatever ________ is was different for different reviewers. Enduro Mag from the UK point blank said something like "why did Ibis bother making this bike in a 27.5"? They are obviously bias towards 29ers. Is it possible that not everybody on the planet wants to race competitively.

I demo'd the Yeti SB140 as well and there is NOTHING I liked better about the Yeti....and I've owned several Yeti's that I loved.
    Carpe Diem!!

Keep on Rockin...
    This is all very good info. Thanks guys. Its a toss up between no new bike, a Warden 2020, and the HD5.

The way Knolly's suspension behaves in the rough is second to none. But the Warden will build up heavy. And while the Knolly's crawl up techy stuff wonderfully they don't have that zippy climbing acceleration like an Ibis DW. I owned an HD3 for a short while and that bike climbed like a xc rig. On the downs unfortunately, compared to other bikes, especially the Knolly, it really lacked. The rear suspension was very chattery - always felt like I was running 2.1" tires with 50psi (like the old days). Reminded me of my prior VPP SC bikes. It never had the deep, controlled, muted, gooey feeling you want like when you ride your DH rig with low tire pressure. I get that even from my current Knolly with 135mm out back. I do hear the HD5 does feel great on the downs.

Turns out I might be able to get a demo sometime this season. Thanks again.

mtbr member
    This is all very good info. Thanks guys. Its a toss up between no new bike, a Warden 2020, and the HD5.

The way Knolly's suspension behaves in the rough is second to none. But the Warden will build up heavy. And while the Knolly's crawl up techy stuff wonderfully they don't have that zippy climbing acceleration like an Ibis DW. I owned an HD3 for a short while and that bike climbed like a xc rig. On the downs unfortunately, compared to other bikes, especially the Knolly, it really lacked. The rear suspension was very chattery - always felt like I was running 2.1" tires with 50psi (like the old days). Reminded me of my prior VPP SC bikes. It never had the deep, controlled, muted, gooey feeling you want like when you ride your DH rig with low tire pressure. I get that even from my current Knolly with 135mm out back. I do hear the HD5 does feel great on the downs.

Turns out I might be able to get a demo sometime this season. Thanks again.
    I've never ridden a Knolly so no comparison but I did ride both Revel's in my quest for a new bike and that rear suspension is the best I've ever ridden at muting the trail chatter. If I could only have one bike right now, I think I'd get the Revel Rascal 130mm 29er. It builds up at 29 lbs so it's no lightweight but it punches WAYYYYYY above it's weight class coming down. The Rail is a great bike as well and if I wasn't going to replace my Primer with a Rascal later this Spring, I might have bought the Rain instead of the HD5.

Not sure what you want to spend and it doesn't sound like you're prepared to pull the trigger but that deal they announced on specific HD5 builds is a ridiculously good deal, pretty much 40%+ off and a savings of $3000 easy if not more.
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    Not sure what you want to spend and it doesn't sound like you're prepared to pull the trigger but that deal they announced on specific HD5 builds is a ridiculously good deal, pretty much 40%+ off and a savings of $3000 easy if not more.
    What deal is this?

Got rocks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Salami View Post
    What deal is this?
    Axs or xtr build with factory suspension for 5-5.3k

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by desertwheeler View Post
    Axs or xtr build with factory suspension for 5-5.3k

Where?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by wooly88 View Post
    Where?
    I believe any ibis dealer

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Where?
    I've got a basically new Medium Black one with XX1 build I'd let go for that range. No scratches, only a couple hundred miles on it. ENVE 630 wheels (or Ibis 742's if you prefer, or both).
    Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD5
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BmanInTheD View Post
    I've got a basically new Medium Black one with XX1 build I'd let go for that range. No scratches, only a couple hundred miles on it. ENVE 630 wheels (or Ibis 742's if you prefer, or both).
    Thanks but Iíd need a large.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BmanInTheD View Post
    You've got an enviable quiver of bikes listed there so I have to ask why the HD5 is the one you are letting go?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    You've got an enviable quiver of bikes listed there so I have to ask why the HD5 is the one you are letting go?
    I've got too many bikes and I've just decided to stick with 29'ers. HD5 is a GREAT bike for what it is, park and steep tech, but the truth is I just don't do that much of that type of riding anymore.
    Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD5
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I've got too many bikes and I've just decided to stick with 29'ers. HD5 is a GREAT bike for what it is, park and steep tech, but the truth is I just don't do that much of that type of riding anymore.
    Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD5
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

mtbr member
    I test rode an HD5 this morning and had so much fun. I currently have a Ripley v4 with a 140 Pike, AXS and Enve wheels. Going down a fairly fast and rock descent that Iíve been down countless times yielded a PR which was previously set on my old Yeti SB130 last year. Surprisingly the HD5 climbed way better than i anticipated too. The smaller wheels were so much more fun on the descent too. Anyway thanks to those who mentioned the promo that Ibis is running as I didnít see it in my junk mail. Put in my order today. Going with a Brown Pow X01 AXS and upgrading the wheels to the S35 i9 Ibis wheel. Super stoked. Will most likely sell the Ripley and have the HD5 and my hardtail as my two hike quiver.

mtbr member
    I test rode an HD5 this morning and had so much fun. I currently have a Ripley v4 with a 140 Pike, AXS and Enve wheels. Going down a fairly fast and rock descent that Iíve been down countless times yielded a PR which was previously set on my old Yeti SB130 last year. Surprisingly the HD5 climbed way better than i anticipated too. The smaller wheels were so much more fun on the descent too. Anyway thanks to those who mentioned the promo that Ibis is running as I didnít see it in my junk mail. Put in my order today. Going with a Brown Pow X01 AXS and upgrading the wheels to the S35 i9 Ibis wheel. Super stoked. Will most likely sell the Ripley and have the HD5 and my hardtail as my two hike quiver.
    Nice!! Essentially what I have but with some Santa Cruz Reserve 37 wheels I already owned. I agree with everything you said, highlighted by "so much FUN" part.
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Ordered the XTR build on special Charcoal Med, Can't wait!.... more than I wanted to spend but seemed like too good of a deal for the package. 10-15 days till shipping and I'm bikeless at the moment due to me selling my tracer already. TORTURE ENSUES.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smc333 View Post
    Ordered the XTR build on special Charcoal Med, Can't wait!.... more than I wanted to spend but seemed like too good of a deal for the package. 10-15 days till shipping and I'm bikeless at the moment due to me selling my tracer already. TORTURE ENSUES.....
    Congrats! My bike arrived and is in the queue my shop is so busy theyíve got 10 bikes ahead of mine. Iím picking the frame up tomorrow to install Invisiframe and will drop off to be built. Canít wait to get it on the dirt.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks, stoked too! think I'm just gonna throw some all mountain style on mine.

@wooly How much did they charge you to upgrade to the i9 s35s? Really would preffer some quality aluminum wheels with nicer hubs than the s35 carbons with logo hubs that comes with the XTR special. Not sure how these logo hubs will be coming from some torches. Carbon wheels I'm willing to try since they will have 7 yr warranty, Gonna put em to the test up here in Tahoe!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smc333 View Post
    Thanks, stoked too! think I'm just gonna throw some all mountain style on mine.

@wooly How much did they charge you to upgrade to the i9 s35s? Really would preffer some quality aluminum wheels with nicer hubs than the s35 carbons with logo hubs that comes with the XTR special. Not sure how these logo hubs will be coming from some torches. Carbon wheels I'm willing to try since they will have 7 yr warranty, Gonna put em to the test up here in Tahoe!
    I think you'll find the logo hubs lacking if you've been on Torch hubs. FWIW Ibis will let the dealer drop the wheels from the kit and you could get a credit (don't remember how much) for whatever you want. Our shop has done a lot of builds that way and the customer usually opts for some I9's (we are in NC). Enjoy the new bike!

mtbr member
    I'm curious about your switch from a Ripley to an HD5. I've ridden both bikes and loved them both, but they have obvious different strengths. What are your typical rides/trails are like? I assume more of your riding is tech and downhill than lots of climbing? Are you planning to use the HD5 as a trail bike?

mtbr member
    I'm curious about your switch from a Ripley to an HD5. I've ridden both bikes and loved them both, but they have obvious different strengths. What are your typical rides/trails are like? I assume more of your riding is tech and downhill than lots of climbing? Are you planning to use the HD5 as a trail bike?
    I ride in southern cal and itís pretty mixed. My typical ride is comprised of climbing fire roads and single track for mixed descents of flowy single track and steeper rocky chunk. I donít do big drops and donít send jumps. Admittedly the HD5 is overbiked for most of my riding but I donít challenge KOMís on my climbs so having a more capable bike on the downs is appealing. I changed bikes regularly and the HD5 was a fun bike that didnít feel ďhugeĒ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    After having my HD5 for a couple months now, I finally got out for a proper ride. I went for my usually grueling climb ( was probably not the best choice after have been sitting on my rear for so long ) and got to get the feel of the bike in a climb. I was pleased that it climbs well, did not notice any issues with the front getting light and wandering. It felt somewhat better better than my HD3 with a TALAS fork fully shortened. A plus for the HD5

The climb really kicked my butt and I was worn out. As a result I was a bit timid coming down, but not so much to not enjoy the descent. I did not notice the the HD5 being any more difficult to manage in the tight turns or technical areas. I was worried about the longer and slacker being an issue, but so far, is not a problem. Another plus for the HD5

Coming down, I can't say I felt more stable or secure on the HD5 over my HD3 ( -1 degree headset ), but that's not a bad thing, the HD3 felt good. HD5 = HD3 for me and my riding

I have the off the shelf Fox 170mm fork I was concerned that I was no where near the starting pressures to get the sag right, right now I'm at 50PSI for 190Lbs ready to ride. Despite this, the fork seemed to work well. I'm going to just leave it alone and do more rides and see how things pan out. Front and rear still need to be dialed in for me but I need to get me dialed back in before I can work on the suspension.

So for me, the move from my HD3 to the HD5 worked out well. I mostly wanted something that would climb better and the HD5 seems to for me.

My HD3 is still in near new condition, need to decide if I want to sell or keep it as a backup. But then, you really can't have too many bikes, it's just a matter if, do you really ride them.

mtbr member
    Picked up my new ride yesterday and heading out on itís maiden voyage this morning. Super stoked.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Looks awesome! Making me have second thoughts on my charcoal order

mtbr member
    Can anyone who has tried HD5 and Revel Rail compare these 2?

Dream it, Do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    Can anyone who has tried HD5 and Revel Rail compare these 2?
    I have an HD4 set up with a 170mm travel RS Lyrik fork and have ridden the Revel Rail if that is close enough to what you are seeking.

Climbing: The HD4 is a better climbing bike than the Rail. The Rail's CBF suspension design isolates rear wheel movement really well from pedaling force. The downside is that the suspension doesn't seem to control rear wheel movement as well as does the HD4's dw-link suspension. The HD4 feels firmer at the pedals and is a snappier climbing bike. The Rail might be a good fit for climbing really rough trails. For most trails, I think the HD4 is going to be the better climbing bike.

Descending: Both the HD4 and the Rail descend well. One thing that I noticed about the Rail is that the carbon fiber layup of the frame is done really well. I was able to place the front wheel really easily. I could slide the front wheel and know exactly where it was going to wind up. Believe me, I'm no downhill pro so it was interesting to feel how easily I could do this on the Rail. Both the HD4 and the Rail are really capable descending bikes. I might give a slight nod to the Rail for downhill handling precision.

Handling: The HD4 seemed to be a slightly faster handling bike and seemed a bit more responsive on corners when not headed downhill.

Both bikes are variations of a descending oriented trail bike, so any differences I mention are going to be subtle in nature. I found the Ibis HD4 to be a better one-quiver trail bike for me. It's faster handling make it more entertaining for a wider range of riding. The Revel Rail might be the more capable on descents. If my trails tended to be more wide open with more chunky climbs and descents, I might go for the Rail. For more curvy singletrack, the HD4 would be my pick. For all but the rockiest climbs, the HD4 is likely to be a more efficient climbing bike.
    Dirt Merchant Bikes
    www.dirtmerchantbikes.com
    Seattle area dealer for Turner Bikes & Cleary Bikes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
    I have an HD4 set up with a 170mm travel RS Lyrik fork and have ridden the Revel Rail if that is close enough to what you are seeking.

Climbing: The HD4 is a better climbing bike than the Rail. The Rail's CBF suspension design isolates rear wheel movement really well from pedaling force. The downside is that the suspension doesn't seem to control rear wheel movement as well as does the HD4's dw-link suspension. The HD4 feels firmer at the pedals and is a snappier climbing bike. The Rail might be a good fit for climbing really rough trails. For most trails, I think the HD4 is going to be the better climbing bike.

Descending: Both the HD4 and the Rail descend well. One thing that I noticed about the Rail is that the carbon fiber layup of the frame is done really well. I was able to place the front wheel really easily. I could slide the front wheel and know exactly where it was going to wind up. Believe me, I'm no downhill pro so it was interesting to feel how easily I could do this on the Rail. Both the HD4 and the Rail are really capable descending bikes. I might give a slight nod to the Rail for downhill handling precision.

Handling: The HD4 seemed to be a slightly faster handling bike and seemed a bit more responsive on corners when not headed downhill.

Both bikes are variations of a descending oriented trail bike, so any differences I mention are going to be subtle in nature. I found the Ibis HD4 to be a better one-quiver trail bike for me. It's faster handling make it more entertaining for a wider range of riding. The Revel Rail might be the more capable on descents. If my trails tended to be more wide open with more chunky climbs and descents, I might go for the Rail. For more curvy singletrack, the HD4 would be my pick. For all but the rockiest climbs, the HD4 is likely to be a more efficient climbing bike.
    Thank you very much!
    I wish I could demo the Rail, or the Rascal. I will be trying an HD5 tomorrow. I am coming from a Nomad 3 (coiled on both ends) and a long coiled shocked TB4. I am finding out the 140mm fork might not be enough travel for the way how I like my bikes to feel. I will need to try some longer travel 29ers as well. Ripmo V2.

Dream it, Do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    Thank you very much!
    I wish I could demo the Rail, or the Rascal. I will be trying an HD5 tomorrow. I am coming from a Nomad 3 (coiled on both ends) and a long coiled shocked TB4. I am finding out the 140mm fork might not be enough travel for the way how I like my bikes to feel. I will need to try some longer travel 29ers as well. Ripmo V2.
    Happy to be of service! If it's of interest to you, I've also ridden the Rascal as well as these other 29ers in the past year and can share my ride impressions of any of these.

Yeti SB130
    DeVinci Troy
    Giant Trance 29

In what part of the country do you live and ride? I might be able to provide some thoughts based on your location and trails as well.
    Dirt Merchant Bikes
    www.dirtmerchantbikes.com
    Seattle area dealer for Turner Bikes & Cleary Bikes

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Any 200-220lbs guys have input on the traction tune? Is it enough/not enough, etc.

thanks,

-Sp

mtbr member
    Picked up my new ride yesterday and heading out on itís maiden voyage this morning. Super stoked.

Get any more rides in yet? How would you contrast it to your Ripley?

mtbr member
    Get any more rides in yet? How would you contrast it to your Ripley?
    Still working out my suspension tuning and fit. Just a note to those who bought the HD5 on the Covid promo a few weeks ago. The bars are the low / no ride bars, not the 30mm rise that shows on the specs on the website for that AXS build I didnít realize how much a difference that would make. Swapping out the bars for more rise.

As for the differences with the Ripley, man they are so different. Considering the differences in travel and geometry I am actually surprised that Iím not seeing much of a difference in my climbing times on my normal rides. Iím cleaning tech climbs more regularly while not losing much time if any on long fire-road climbs. As for handling on tight and twisty single track I actually like the hd5 better. It carves better for me. The bigger wheels of the Ripley were just a little more cumbersome. Thatís not saying the Ripley isnít an incredible bike because itís still one of my all time favorites. Iím just enjoying the Hd5 now.

dmo
    mtbr member
    Any thoughts on the HD5 and how it compares to a Transition Scout. Geometry is kinda similar. Any chance youve ridden a Transition and can compare?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Anyone have any opinions on going from the hd4 to hd5

I am always amazed at how capable the hd4 is. It rips on dh stuff and is surprisingly capable as a climber and handles tight twisty rocky tech pretty well. I really cannot find much that I don't like about the hd4
    I am wondering if the hd5 is too long, and geared more to the dh side of things. Thinking it may be too slack for trail riding and long for tight tech stuff.

Anyone have some time on both?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Anyone have any opinions on going from the hd4 to hd5

I am always amazed at how capable the hd4 is. It rips on dh stuff and is surprisingly capable as a climber and handles tight twisty rocky tech pretty well. I really cannot find much that I don't like about the hd4
    I am wondering if the hd5 is too long, and geared more to the dh side of things. Thinking it may be too slack for trail riding and long for tight tech stuff.

Anyone have some time on both?