Mojo HD5 is here (time to talk about it)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Mojo HD5 is here (time to talk about it)

After what? A month of rumors, the HD5, as anybody already knows, is here.

It looks good. Given the advanced state of MTB development it is an unavoidably evolutionary 650b bike. Steeper seat angle, slacker front and 170 mm fork travel, smaller changes in suspension linkage and dimensions. It is the 650b alternative to the Ripmo, with a very, very, smart choice in travel numbers.

I am very thankful Ibis is not dropping 650b from its line up. Hopefully a 2020 Mojo will see the light, same geometry, 150/133 (note the 133 ), maybe 1/4 pound lighter frame, it could be my third Mojo, to get on board about 2022, after the Classic and the HD3, hopefully all the way to 2030: my 25th year on a Mojo

Mojo HD5 is here (time to talk about it)-p5pb17778780.jpgMojo HD5 is here (time to talk about it)-img_0118.jpgMojo HD5 is here (time to talk about it)-1.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    New one looks good! Glad they tweaked the geo and layout enough to get the X2 out of the cross brace, that always bothered me on the HD4.

mtbr member
    Any sightings in the wild or true ride reviews yet? The roll-out was super focused on the light suspension tune, but i am hoping some overall ride reviews come out from people who aren't accompanied by the Ibis engineer/marketing team so we can get a more holistic view on the bike. Especially vs. HD4 which i was a big fan of.

mtbr member
    I rode HyMasa and Upper Captain Ahab at Outerbike on the HD5 and absolutely loved it! I'm an M3 owner and generally prefer sporty, precise riding bikes so I expected the HD5 to not suit my preferences, but I came away wanting one. It also convinced me that 650b wheels aren't dead yet.

Typical of ibis bikes, it feels very natural to ride. It pedals efficiently and climbed great. It was a treat to have on the techy HyMasa features. The traction tune really did an amazing job of helping the wheel follow the terrain. I came away a believer. The trade off is that sometimes your weight will compress the suspension while maneuvering up climbs and you get pedal strikes. I should have played with the compression damping and turned it up a bit for the climbs to see if it would alleviate some of that, but I didn't. That does help on my M3. It didn't wander at all climbing.

As a good bike does, it kept building my confidence on the way down. I like techy downhills and do ok, but I'm pretty average in my ability. We took the jeep road down the latter part of the descent to bypass the "red" section of Captain Ahab's and that has a bunch of stair steppy features with a lot of line options. Rather than finding the "smart" way down, I found I was looking for tougher lines because the bike kept giving me more. The HD5 was a wonderful tool for the job.

I think my perfect stable would be a Ripley for the trail days and the HD5 for the techy days. They would be quite complimentary with different capabilities with little adjustment required to move from one to the other.

mtbr member
    Running mine mullet and it rips

Mojo HD5 is here (time to talk about it)-d8f09c76-c368-41ce-beb7-08cddc87fe29.jpg

mtbr member
    What travel is your fork with the 29" wheel?

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Iím keen to see a comparison between HD4 and HD5 asap as I have just sold my Banshee Rune & my HD3 and have money to spend!
    I can get a great deal on a HD4 versus paying full price for a HD5!
    (or do I go Ripmo!?!?) Decisions!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Haha, bike just came out and youíre already modding it. Did you even try to ride it as it was designed? Any experience to share? I saw ibis did not recommend mulletbiking it in the pink bike comments due to the changes it makes to the geo.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by dansmac View Post
    Iím keen to see a comparison between HD4 and HD5 asap as I have just sold my Banshee Rune & my HD3 and have money to spend!
    I can get a great deal on a HD4 versus paying full price for a HD5!
    (or do I go Ripmo!?!?) Decisions!!

Great deal on old version, the latest frame design, or 29er...is that even a question - HD5
    unless we talking 50% off...

On different note, looking forward to to hear real life review and comparison between HD5 and Bronson v3.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lubb1 View Post
    Haha, bike just came out and youíre already modding it. Did you even try to ride it as it was designed? Any experience to share? I saw ibis did not recommend mulletbiking it in the pink bike comments due to the changes it makes to the geo.
    I will try it 27.5 at some point. I have built a couple mullet bikes the Yeti SB165 and SB140 and like they way they ride. The tune on this bike is noticeably different than the ripmo so it will take a little time to dial it in and get used to it but I do like it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Rom3n View Post
    I will try it 27.5 at some point. I have built a couple mullet bikes the Yeti SB165 and SB140 and like they way they ride. The tune on this bike is noticeably different than the ripmo so it will take a little time to dial it in and get used to it but I do like it.
    How is the new HD5 compared to the SB140 & SB165? and if you had or tried the Bronson v3, how would you compare it to the others?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy-Runs View Post
    Great deal on old version, the latest frame design, or 29er...is that even a question - HD5
    unless we talking 50% off...

On different note, looking forward to to hear real life review and comparison between HD5 and Bronson v3.
    $2300 for HD4 with DPX2 vs $3580 for HD5 with X2

mtbr member

Thatís the US concerted Price... in Oz itís about $5200 for the HD5 Aussie vs $3500 for the HD4 Aussie as above..

mtbr member
    So the big new thing with the HD5 is the shock tune ...

Would this new shock tune not also work on the HD3/4 ?

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by DH_WP View Post
    So the big new thing with the HD5 is the shock tune ...

Would this new shock tune not also work on the HD3/4 ?
    Hm, I think that while Ibis has been putting an emphasis on the shock tune, I'd say the geometry changes are much more important. The steeper seat tube angle is really going to make it more pleasant to climb, and reach/wheelbase increase will make it more stable going back down.

I agree that the new shock tune will also work on all their other bikes. Perhaps the more linear linkage in the HD3 might struggle a bit without enough compression damping, but on the HD4 I cant see why it wouldn't work nicely.

A key takeaway for me from watching the Kendall-Weed video was that the concept here is really to move the adjustable area for the suspension down to a more open base tune. Some faster/heavier riders may tune the compression/rebound damping back up to where they had it on the old tunes, but for a lot of riders the optimal settings were not possible to achieve with the old tunes. I run the high speed compression fully open on my Ripmo, and could probably benefit from a lighter tune on this bike. I'm not convinced I could run my rebound that much faster though...
    Instagram: "lubbduro"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lubb1 View Post
    Hm, I think that while Ibis has been putting an emphasis on the shock tune, I'd say the geometry changes are much more important. The steeper seat tube angle is really going to make it more pleasant to climb, and reach/wheelbase increase will make it more stable going back down.
    I am betting that the lighter tunes becomes a trend you see other mfgs follow. It just makes sense when you see how many riders run their shocks fully or near fully open. I came away a believer in my time demoing one. I am a lighter rider though, like the challenge of a techy climb, and typically don't plow going down, so I fit the mold of the target audience for the lighter tune.

The geometry changes on the other hand are becoming the norm. Good changes for the HD5, but it would have been surprising if they hadn't gone this way.

mtbr member
    Wuls having a shock like the X2 or CC IL not give the same effect as you can manualy change the settings ? or is there is something deeper inside the Shox that needs to be change ?

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Quote Originally Posted by DH_WP View Post
    Wuls having a shock like the X2 or CC IL not give the same effect as you can manualy change the settings ? or is there is something deeper inside the Shox that needs to be change ?
    A fully adjustable shock should be able to fit your needs, but can be out of the tunning range.

The new Ibis DW links rear ends are so good, combined with the latest generation of air springs means that you don't need much compression damping. A little spring progression will feel better than more HSC.

Custom light weight tunes will shift the adjustment range down and allow you to be in the middle of the range instead of max out at the end. My Ripmo is basically running no HSC front and rear. It would be nice to revalve the HSC so that I could select how little of the nothing I do want, but I don't know how much difference it would make.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

mtbr member
    Who has HD4's for $2300 please?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon View Post
    Call Jenson

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Anyone in the sales side know how the bike is selling? It does seem on Ibisís order website all sizes and colors are ready to ship immediately which is quite different from the Ripmo and Ripley launches.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale-Calgary View Post
    Anyone in the sales side know how the bike is selling? It does seem on Ibisís order website all sizes and colors are ready to ship immediately which is quite different from the Ripmo and Ripley launches.
    By looking at this thread there is a cool reception for this bike.

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    I personally have no interest in a 27.5 bike. Also going full enduro limits the bikes everyday use. The Ripmo is 90% of the descending ability and 150% better the climbs. All number where made up .
    I'm not the target audience though.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    I personally have no interest in a 27.5 bike. Also going full enduro limits the bikes everyday use. The Ripmo is 90% of the descending ability and 150% better the climbs. All number where made up .
    Yeah, I think the new HD5 is the perfect 27.5 "Enduro" bike. But since the Ripmo came out, I see only a little demand for a long-travel 27.5 "trail" bike from Ibis, no matter how good it is.
    Ibis Ripmo
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD4
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    Colnago C60 Disc

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Chose my HD4 over the Ripmo. The HD4 is a more aggressive bike than the Ripmo. HD5 maybe more so.

But yeah, I do agree that it definitely didn't garner the attention as the 29r bikes. Really, it isn't much more than the HD4. I'd say a refined HD4.

Now if they bumped the travel up bigley or tossed some 29r wheels on it than it would have raised some eyebrows. Traction Tune???

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Just want to add, that I absolutely love my HD4. it's an amazing bike and hauls ass. Yes, I do have a Ripley LS so I'm not missing out on the 29r thing. Personally I like the 27.5 with big tires (2.5-2.6). Prefer my 29r with 2.3s.

27.5 is a lot of fun.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    Curious why Ibis didn't jump into the 29er band wagon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ibismojo09 View Post
    Curious why Ibis didn't jump into the 29er band wagon.
    Haven't you noticed the Ripmo and the Ripley? Thankfully Ibis offers two bikes in 29 AND 27.5. Hopefully the Mojo will continue

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Davide View Post
    Haven't you noticed the Ripmo and the Ripley?
    This.

I'm often confused by this forum and people asking for a HD 29. Ripmo AF fits the bill and carbon Ripmo with angled headset does too.

I think I heard Jeff Kendall Weed even refer to the HD as more playful/less enduro than the Ripmo. He's pretty familiar with their bikes.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bikedrd View Post
    This.

I'm often confused by this forum and people asking for a HD 29. Ripmo AF fits the bill and carbon Ripmo with angled headset does too.

I think I heard Jeff Kendall Weed even refer to the HD as more playful/less enduro than the Ripmo. He's pretty familiar with their bikes.
    29r HD5 would have more travel than the RIPMO AF. (See Pivot Firebird/Megatower) etc. Ripmo AF is aluminium/lower spec.

Ripmo is not more aggressive than the HD5.

Hopefully we start seeing some HD5 reviews coming in.

mtbr member
    May 2011

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Haven't you noticed the Ripmo and the Ripley? Thankfully Ibis offers two bikes in 29 AND 27.5. Hopefully the Mojo will continue
    I was just expecting that they will come out with a real dedicated enduro bike with a 29 wheels. Or maybe an hd5 that you can swap from 27 to 29.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck_tacoma View Post
    29r HD5 would have more travel
    I hear you. I do want more travel in 29 and 27. 5. They seem to be stuck at 150ish. My feeling is HD5 and Ripmo are similar travels, so my 170 forked, headset adjusted Ripmo is kind of HD. But I to would like another 20/25 mm in back too.

Sorry to steer off subject. Back on it, I'm looking forward to more HD5 reviews.

Ride On!
    I was just expecting that they will come out with a real dedicated enduro bike with a 29 wheels. Or maybe an hd5 that you can swap from 27 to 29.
    While the Ripmo, HD4, HD3 have been marketed as "Trail Bikes", they all have done extremely well in the EWS. In 2017 Ibis won the EWS Team Championship with the HD3 & HD4. Just my 2 cents worth.

BTW, I miss my HD3, really fun and capable bike. Right now I am riding a Ripmo and love it, but do miss the nimbleness of 27.5 at times.

mtbr member
    I'm a 29er guy and I have been having a great time with the HD5. It allows me to easily do some things that can be tricky on a big 29er and is overall much more playful and fun to ride. It will not have the traction or rollover my 29ers have and will not hold the same levels of all out speed but it does provide a different riding experience when wanted. I have had a Bronson and Nomad and I think I prefer the HD5 over both.

Mojo HD5 is here (time to talk about it)-8a746ca5-2a86-4b22-8698-5a794b48df3d.jpg

mtbr member
    I think people obsess a bit about millimeters. You can win any level enduro race on a Ripmo (or an HD5). On the trail? Any of HD3, HD4, HD5, Ripmo, is a super bike and so are a Ripley or Mojo if your trails are somewhat tamer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I think people obsess a bit about millimeters. You can win any level enduro race on a Ripmo (or an HD5). On the trail? Any of HD3, HD4, HD5, Ripmo, is a super bike and so are a Ripley or Mojo if your trails are somewhat tamer.
    I agree. Looking at the top EWS riders, almost everyone on a 29er is on a 150mm bike (Richie Rude's Yeti SB150, Martin Maes's GT Force 29er, Florian Nicolai and Dmitri Tordo's Canyon Strive). Sam Hill is the outlier at 160mm in the rear, but that's about it (I'm not sure about Kevin Miquel's Sunn Kern bike, but the only bike check I could find had the prototype at 150 too).

Now, maybe I could use 20 more mm as I'm notably worse at riding than those guys, but really long travel bikes don't seem to be the ticket for winning top level enduro races.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm not a Enduro racer...don't care about Enduro. I want a kick ass bike! My HD4 is awesome, wouldn't a HD5 with 170 front and back be even more awesome? I say yes!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I'm not a Enduro racer...don't care about Enduro. I want a kick ass bike! My HD4 is awesome, wouldn't a HD5 with 170 front and back be even more awesome? I say yes!!
    Ha, I can't say. It would be awesome I'm sure. But maybe a very different bike.

I'm not on an HD#, but I am on the Santa Cruz equivalent (the Bronson) and I rarely want the step up (the Nomad) unless I'm in the bike park. It's a really cool bike, but a 170mm bike is getting to be a pretty specific tool.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    Ha, I can't say. It would be awesome I'm sure. But maybe a very different bike.

I'm not on an HD#, but I am on the Santa Cruz equivalent (the Bronson) and I rarely want the step up (the Nomad) unless I'm in the bike park. It's a really cool bike, but a 170mm bike is getting to be a pretty specific tool.
    Wanted a Nomad really bad! Ended up with a HD4. Guess, Iím thinking a DW ibis would be a little more pedal friendly even at 170.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon View Post

Are you still looking?

https://www.backcountry.com/ibis-moj...6-0050569406b5

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Wanted a Nomad really bad! Ended up with a HD4. Guess, Iím thinking a DW ibis would be a little more pedal friendly even at 170.
    You made the right choice.

I loved my HD4 and the geo updates of HD5 bring it into 2019. I'm sure Ibis will do something with 29er soon enough.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Creg View Post
    You made the right choice.

I loved my HD4 and the geo updates of HD5 bring it into 2019. I'm sure Ibis will do something with 29er soon enough.
    I sure hope so. the ripmo's been there for quite sometime now. Hopefully they will update the carbon version next year.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Hereís my new HD5

Shout out to Probike Supply for being great to work with.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4nnNz7F...on_share_sheet

The bike shop took better pics than I did. Super stoked! I went from an HD3- HD4- Ripmo- and now HD5.
    The Ripmo is an awesome bike, I just always missed the HD4. I personally prefer the smaller wheels.

Build-
    Large w/ X2 (Iím 5í9 1/2)
    Lyrik Ultimate
    WeAreOne on I9s
    Shimano XT 12sp
    Race face Next R cranks and bar
    TRP DH G-spec brakes
    Fox Transfer 175mm w/ Wolftooth lever

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Daleyridin View Post
    Hereís my new HD5

Shout out to Probike Supply for being great to work with.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4nnNz7F...on_share_sheet

The bike shop took better pics than I did. Super stoked! I went from an HD3- HD4- Ripmo- and now HD5.
    The Ripmo is an awesome bike, I just always missed the HD4. I personally prefer the smaller wheels.

Build-
    Large w/ X2 (Iím 5í9 1/2)
    Lyrik Ultimate
    WeAreOne on I9s
    Shimano XT 12sp
    Race face Next R cranks and bar
    TRP DH G-spec brakes
    Fox Transfer 175mm w/ Wolftooth lever
    How do you like the Large HD5? I'm same height as you and debating on a medium or large HD5. Seems like ibis has made the geometry significantly larger for all HD5 sizes so a medium should fit decent but I'm tempted to just get a large and if it's a bit too long, just reducing reach with a shorter stem.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    The large is perfect. Mine has a 40mm stem and 780mm bars. I demoed it with a 50mm and a 30mm stem. The 30 also felt great, the 50 was a little too long.
    My large Ripmo felt bigger. Itís also a more comfortable bike than the Ripmo. No hand pressure in between the climbs and descents.

This bike is so much fun.