mtbr member
    May 2010

Mojo HD seat tube crack

Hi,

Last Friday finally I got my Mojo HD. I have ridden once and love it but yesterday I realize this crack in the top end of the seat tube.

Can anybody tell me if I`m in big problems?

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mojo HD seat tube crack-crack-.jpg  

Mojo HD seat tube crack-dsc04186.jpg  

mtbr member
    My bike has the same thing. I contacted Hans about it and it is due to the paint being masked too high on the seat post carbon fiber seat insert. As long as the post isn't moving around with the clamp on tight you should be good.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I thought mine had a crappy finish around the seat clamp area, yours looks like someone was trying to get out of work early! The area seems a tough design to paint with a good finish due to flex and clamping forces, the finish elsewhere is generally quite good but areas like this can be distracting when you look at an otherwise beautiful frame.

holding back the darkness
    While posting here is sort of beneficial to us, your dear readers, the best thing to do is to contact Ibis. Call their 800 number. Hans or Tom or another of the World Famous Ibisians will probably answer.
    In my personal dealings they have been swift, courteous, and more than fair. I am not alone. there are many many tales of amazing customer service.
    I would say that if you have a concern, go direct to the source.

Unpredictable
    There should be a sleeve inside the seatube into which the seat post fits. It would be carbon fibre. The paint has cracked over the top of that sleeve by the looks and if the sleeve is not loose it is just a minor cosmetic issue of no importance.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thanks for your replies, finally they guys from Ibis (thanks Scot) confirm me the same, it`s only unmasked painting.

Sorry for my ignorant post, but I love this bike and I was worried! bye.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    So, is it dead after four years? :-/
    Mojo HD seat tube crack-20141013_204442.jpgMojo HD seat tube crack-20141013_204429.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Nope, it's the same thing as above - just cosmetical. I had this on my HD from 2011 and it still rides flawlessly.

mtbr member
    Yep, even if the bond between seat tube and sleeve has separated up by the collar where the sleeve is flexing, there's still a few more inches of sleeve below there that's bonded inside the seat tube

Weapon of Choice
    Mine did the similar thing around that seat tube, actually a chip came off but I've been riding it hard with no issues.

Super Unknown

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Mines the same..........no issues.

Now if that internal sleeve starts moving in there, than you have a problem.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Thanks for info, but still Im a little worried :-/

Members who have read this thread: 0