mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Mojo Hd Rp23 Or Dhx Air And Why

I just ordered my HD. I first thought was to get it with a DHX Air but after talking to one of the guy at Ibis I was convinced to go with the RP23.I am now second guessing that decision.My frame isn't coming untill the end of January so there is still time.I want a good ride hoping to get it sud 30 lbs. I'm a East Coast rider plenty of rocks and climbs. I want to beable to hit small drops and doubles with out a lot of bottom out. I am now on a 09 giant reign X0 DHX Air 32.5 lbs.I love the bike. I want a lighter ride but a hard core all mountian bike that I can XC. Anyone rode both shocks.
    Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

DHX air for me

I'm 2 weeks into my new HD w/ DHX Air. Demo'd 2 HDs beforehand with the RP23. For me, regardless of the frame, it's the DHX Air for the adjustability to the progressivity of the shock. DHX allows you to run more sag and softer initial rate over the chatter and still ramp up appropriately for bigger hits.

The RP23 felt damn good on the demos, best non-piggyback I ever rode actually thanks to the very linear rate of the HD and the natural progressive nature of the RP23, but the DHX air allows for more fine tuning. Whether it's worth the 1/2 lb penalty is dependent on your riding.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    i have a HD since 4 months and I got it first with a rp23...the bike felt really really good with it. I'm a guy who takes part also at DH races (but with a real dh bike) and so I carry more speed with the hd than some other guys who prefer trailriding with it. the rp23 feels really good as long as you dont begin to push the hd to it's limit and than you can feel soon that at the least 20 % of the travel the rp23 goes through and you feel how the travel stops cause you used all 160 mm. this is a small problem if you are carying speed through rockgardens and other stuff.
    so I tried out the dhx air, it has only 170 grams more but it's a lot better. you even don't feel those 170 grams but you feel that the bike has more downhill stabilty and you can through it harder through tecnical rough sections. and you never feel this - I am at the end of travel - feeling...
    and I only wanna say - I ride uphills and downhills with it. first I have to pedal up and than descend - so it's NOT a DH bike for me.

but it depend on riding style -some guys I know are to 100 % fully satisfied with the rp23 and I can understand this. Scot Nicol used to say at Eurobike that 95 % of the customers who buy the HD buy it with the rp23 cause most of those guys don't need the DHX air. But those who need it should get it!

bike rider
    Buy the frame without a shock (Ibis will do this). Buy a custom tuned Rockshox Monarch from Push.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks for the feed back.
    Last edited by JUICEMAN; 11-30-2010 at 06:35 PM.

mtbr member
    I'm thinking about getting the rp23 as well because I like the pro pedal feature, but is the DHX better? I am not at all concerned about the slight weight difference. My weight is about 220 and I will be bombing down some hills on the HD, but not competitively. What's the big difference between the two?

bike rider
    Hans says that on a Mojo HD the RP23 is better than the DHX Air (or did you actually mean "DHX", that's getting into the air vs coil debate). Everyone who's tried them says the Rockshox Monarch is better than the RP23 and you can buy them already Pushed.

mtbr member
    Ok cool, good to know. Yeah I was thinking DHX air. I'm not at all familar with this stuff though.

mtbr member
    One more question, sorry to hijack the thread. Do any of these shocks have handelbar controls?

bike rider
    No.

mtbr member
    I asked a shock tuning company this same question a they said the dhx air is terrible and said I would really regret it if I changed from a rp23 to it which leaves me thinking! Should I get my rp23 pushed or buy a monarch already pushed I really want to get this decision right so would people go for the monarch RT / RT3 Or RT- AM

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Had that same discussion with Push several weeks ago. Pushed RP23 can be tuned to your riding so they can make it "plusher" as always, but the Monarch has advantages over the RP23 with regard to its larger oil capacity (cooling) and the spring curve itself.

I copied Darren's answer from another thread for you: " The Monarch offers a better spring curve as well as a larger oil capacity. These features allow for lower pressures in the shock as well as air spring. We also have additional tuning options with the Monarch due to the extra room that we're afforded with it's design. It's not to say that tuning your Float isn't a great option because it is, it's just that the new Monarch has stepped it up. Obviously, the down side of the Monarch is that it is more expensive than tuning the shock that already comes on the bike."

With regard to RT-AM vs RT-3 I went AM because I like having the LSC and HSC and do not use a platform on the HD. Feedback from Push was the AM is a fun shock and mates well with the HD (though they really, really like the Vivid Coil).

Definitely worth giving Push a call to talk it through

-Shane

mtbr member
    Since I have been spending some time at Ibis, the word is the RP23 that comes with the Ibis has really been designed for that bike, and has gone though a lot of testing and is considered by the factory to be the air shock to have for it. That's all I needed to hear and that's what I will use.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thank's you guy's for all the responce to the tread I posted. It's been big help.You guy's have a great holiday.And thanks again.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I rode an RP23 on a Mojo SL, and because I was so unimpressed with it's performance while riding aggressively (more aggressive than 99% of Mojo SL owners), I got a DHXA with my Mojo HD. What someone said was right - you can tune in plushness in beginning travel while still retaining bottom-out control. I can't speak about the PUSHed Monarch, but I would not consider an RP23 for aggressive riding. But, most people aren't riding a Mojo like a DH/SS bike, so it's probably fine for most riders. The RP23 was great for pedaling up and around and for minor trail irregularities. But for repeated hits and larger hits, RP23 = subpar.
    If I was on the fence, I'd probably go with the PUSHed Monarch since I did like the PUSHed RP23 on my Nomad (though it still bottomed harshly, but less-so than the Mojo SL RP23 that wasn't PUSHed). I, however, was not on the fence. I have actually been meaning to get around to putting my CCDB on the HD just to see, but the DHXA is so lively and fun that I have had little reason to do so.

holding back the darkness
    Quote Originally Posted by mazspeed
    Since I have been spending some time at Ibis, the word is the RP23 that comes with the Ibis has really been designed for that bike, and has gone though a lot of testing and is considered by the factory to be the air shock to have for it. That's all I needed to hear and that's what I will use.
    Not entirely.. The RP23 Ibis uses has specific compression damping and boost valve settings. This is hardly a design specific to the HD. What they really mean is that in terms of RP23's, the ones that come on the HDs are the best RP23s for the HDs, not necessarily the best shock period.
    There are better options out there. Really.
    **** censorship

Clyde
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt
    Buy the frame without a shock (Ibis will do this). Buy a custom tuned Rockshox Monarch from Push.
    +1

Or might consider a Push'd Vivid Coil or a fox RC4 then pick up a low tune Float R on eBay for $60 for race day. I have never found the propedal made a difference on the RP23 for the DW suspension. I don't think I will ever go back to air. If the bike is slow it is the rider (me) not the extra pound on the bike and the performance of the coil for a 6'4" 230 lbs almost 50 yr old rider. The Coil really stands out, It is so smooth and is always hooked up. Plus I get cut more slack on the climbs and is so confident and in control on the descents.

It is crazy that you can build up these bike with a Fox 36 up front, Flow Rims and a Fox Coil and it is still under 30 lbs
    09 Ibis Mojo - All Mountain Moab Edition

mtbr member
    Just interested Erik as I have just ordered a HD with a DHXA, wot do ya weigh and how have you got ya DHXA set up?
    My bike is complete !!! There is nothing else I want or need for it............. YEAH RIGHT

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    ProPedal definitely makes a difference on my DHX-A. If it doesn't work for you, either you are too heavy for it's valving, or there is too much pressure in the shock that it already doesn't move. You gotta tune your shock right.

Really, an RP23 bottoms out like a champ. They're not for people who ride aggressively and/or weigh a bit more than the average bear.

I still haven't plopped the CCDB on my HD, but I swear I will someday.

Is it really that easy to build it under 30 lbs? Mine is under 30 lbs, but that took some effort - quite a bit actually. But then again, I have a 180 TALAS on mine with 2.4" tires front and rear, KS i950, XTR cranks, PreRunners and Hope Tech M4's. I guess I could put some namby-pamby stuff on it to lighten it up, but I can ride my bike anywhere and not fear. I'd rather have it weigh more than it weigh less than some arbitrary round number. I can't imagine I would even want to ride this bike if it had XC trires and a 150mm Fox 32 on it - what a waste that would be!

I'm sorry, but I don't know what my adjustments are at since I'm out of town right now, but remind me in a week and I'll figure it out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Everybody that rides an HD with an RP23 on it mentions that it bottoms out way to easily. I am curious if anyone has tried shimming their shock like this( http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=526276 )in order to decrease the air volume and make the shock more progressive? It worked like a charm on my Turner.

bike rider
    An easier way to reduce air volume is to add oil to the air can 5ml at a time.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    An easier way to reduce air volume is to add oil to the air can 5ml at a time.
    There was a discussion about that, and apparently its not such a good idea to go about it that way. The shim is super easy to do, 5 min job. And it is much easier to be precise with it.
    But, whatever way works for you.
    Still curious if this was tried on the HD?

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by morandi
    There was a discussion about that, and apparently its not such a good idea to go about it that way.
    Why? I'm just curious what people said cuz I've done this on 3 shocks and never had the oil leak out or any other problems (used 15wt fork oil). It has the added benefit of keeping the air can sliding nicely and it's so easy to do and change volumes to play with the spring rate curve if you use a syringe.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Here is what push says:

You don't want to add oil into the air cylinder of a FLOAT series shock as it will bypass the main air seal via the transfer port in the air can and collect in the negative chamber of the shock. The pooling will negatively effect the function of the shock and additionally cause excessive weeping of fluid onto the shock body causing the seals to prematurely wear.

Stick with the DGC mod as a DIY mod as it doesn't tamper with the shocks function in a negative way.

Darren

bike rider
    Ahh, I never thought about it making its way into the negative chamber.

holding back the darkness
    Ahh, I never thought about it making its way into the negative chamber.
    Huh? Did this discussion end up on f88me.com or something?
    **** censorship

yohyatt
    Mar 2009
    DUH

Members who have read this thread: 0