Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    Well Biked
    Reputation: scepticshock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,860

    Mojo HD reviewed in Bike

    This month's issue. Overall a pretty positive review, although Bike's reviews are completely lacking in depth these days.

    Not a 6" bike shoot out by any means, but also reviewing the HD's close competition such the the Nomad Carbon, and the Spesh Enduro Carbon.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bajaguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    239
    Quote Originally Posted by scepticshock
    This month's issue. Overall a pretty positive review, although Bike's reviews are completely lacking in depth these days.

    Not a 6" bike shoot out by any means, but also reviewing the HD's close competition such the the Nomad Carbon, and the Spesh Enduro Carbon.
    I agree. The reviewers were afraid to point out too much negative on any of the bikes reviewed. I wish they would have called it out and rated which one they thought was the better bike or better value.

    Figured they couldn't be too bias because of advertisement revenue. I would've loved to read how the Mojo HD was far superior to any of the other bikes reviewed.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Pedaling Nowhere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    126
    The Mountain Bike Action review (last issue) was far superior... it made the cover (in Vitamin P). I with there were some glam shots of a black one.

    Side note: The new Bike Mag has some fantastic adventure articles in it though!

  4. #4
    The MTB Lab
    Reputation: pastajet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,437
    I would love to do an in depth ProReview for MTBR.com (4-5 weeks), but as their main reviewer here at MTBR.com, I sit on the bottom of the totem pole as far as media types go. The big magazines have a lot more clout then I have. A shop won't lend me one for that long, and I am in line for an HD myself (a very long long long line). Maybe a winter time review?

  5. #5
    Gentleman Loser
    Reputation: Count Zero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    427
    "The big magazines have a lot more clout then I have"

    I may be stating the obvious, but bike reviews are "for sale" by the glossy magazines. Their business is advertising, not impartial reporting.

  6. #6
    The MTB Lab
    Reputation: pastajet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,437
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero
    "The big magazines have a lot more clout then I have"

    I may be stating the obvious, but bike reviews are "for sale" by the glossy magazines. Their business is advertising, not impartial reporting.

    I can't make any judgment in the interactions between magazines and the vendors in a general sense, but as far as I know Ibis doesn't do much advert with them? I personally know Hans and Scott (aka Chuck), and I very much doubt they were buying anything?

    As a reviewer I try to be as impartial as I can, I want my reviews to be objective and not subjective, but alas, I am only human, so that true standard will never be attained.

    It takes an inordinate amount of time meeting, and then keeping contacts in the industry. On top of that you have to go to shows (meetings, product overviews, daily show postings until the wee hours of the morning, etc.), then post follow up email and phone correspondence with the vendors, etc. Tossing that on top of the review, test and writing process itself, makes getting an article created, an intensive labor of love, which is why I do it!
    Last edited by pastajet; 08-27-2010 at 09:54 PM.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    133
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero
    "The big magazines have a lot more clout then I have"

    I may be stating the obvious, but bike reviews are "for sale" by the glossy magazines. Their business is advertising, not impartial reporting.
    I disagree. We have never taken out a print ad. In the last month We've received STELLAR reviews from Bike, BikeRadar, MBA, and have been told to expect the same from Decline and Mountain Bike (it's out but I haven't seen it yet). In nearly every case, the editorial department is removed from the publishing side (where the revenue comes from). We hear from the ad salesmen in all these magazines, but our lack of advertising doesn't appear to alter our editorial content. Maybe we'd get more covers if we laid down some ads, but maybe not. The MBA review mentioned above is an example of a cover with no ad sales.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Pedaling Nowhere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by Scot Nicol
    I disagree. We have never taken out a print ad. In the last month We've received STELLAR reviews from Bike, BikeRadar, MBA, and have been told to expect the same from Decline and Mountain Bike (it's out but I haven't seen it yet). In nearly every case, the editorial department is removed from the publishing side (where the revenue comes from). We hear from the ad salesmen in all these magazines, but our lack of advertising doesn't appear to alter our editorial content. Maybe we'd get more covers if we laid down some ads, but maybe not. The MBA review mentioned above is an example of a cover with no ad sales.
    I saw the Mountain Bike review yesterday... also stellar. Please save me one.

  9. #9
    GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Reputation: NoahColorado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,645
    Quote Originally Posted by Scot Nicol
    In nearly every case, the editorial department is removed from the publishing side (where the revenue comes from).
    Yes.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - VP of Business Development
    Pivot Cycles - Team Rider

  10. #10
    ride your bike
    Reputation: jubilee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    9,447
    Favorable reviews are great and all, but typically they're based on the build provided by the bike company. I have seen instances where reviewers swap components to better suit the trails or the riders (the BIKE review of the Knolly Endorphin comes to mind).

    I'm admittedly a little buggered about the seat tube rub being reported on some of the HDs. It's a 6" travel frame that can reportedly tackle the type of riding that would necessitate a 180mm fork. The unknown element of "will my DH/FR tire of choice fit" is kind of a buzz kill....because it is such a cool bike and because it's so expensive.

    I really want to love the HD and keep it on my short list of bikes to buy. But for the money I want to see it properly thrashed on gnarly trails and bike parks AND not fear my favorite rim/tire combo won't work.
    Taking it easy for all you sinners.

  11. #11
    The MTB Lab
    Reputation: pastajet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,437
    Quote Originally Posted by jubilee
    Favorable reviews are great and all, but typically they're based on the build provided by the bike company. I have seen instances where reviewers swap components to better suit the trails or the riders (the BIKE review of the Knolly Endorphin comes to mind).

    I'm admittedly a little buggered about the seat tube rub being reported on some of the HDs. It's a 6" travel frame that can reportedly tackle the type of riding that would necessitate a 180mm fork. The unknown element of "will my DH/FR tire of choice fit" is kind of a buzz kill....because it is such a cool bike and because it's so expensive.

    I really want to love the HD and keep it on my short list of bikes to buy. But for the money I want to see it properly thrashed on gnarly trails and bike parks AND not fear my favorite rim/tire combo won't work.
    I think Brian Lopes does a fine job of thrashing a bike? The tire hitting the seat tube seems to a rare issue, which also has happened to some on the normal Mojo. I never had the issue myself (owned one for 4+ years), and have used monstrous tires on the Mojo.

    I review bikes, and I try not swap parts out, since the build they sent is usually the default one the average consumer will buy, and it's best to compare apples to apples. Yes it can take a 180, personally I think it alters the head angle too much for my taste, and 160 works just fine (better in climbing, spinning, slow speed techy stuff, etc.)

    Test one out if possible?

  12. #12
    GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Reputation: NoahColorado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,645
    Depends on if you're testing the bike or the frame, and for what purpose. If it's a shootout, I'd keep the bike pretty stock, for a longer term test I'd make a few adjustments. No one particular bike build works equally well in every region, so some concessions have to be made like switching out tires, etc. For instance, I threw on a big ole' front tire and a stubby stem when I tested the Tranny last year.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - VP of Business Development
    Pivot Cycles - Team Rider

  13. #13
    ride your bike
    Reputation: jubilee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    9,447
    I did a short 30 min demo, but will do another before buying. No doubt Lopes can put a bike thru the ringer. But he's only one dude who is super smooth and very likely weighs less than my naked 200 lbs (sorry for the visual). Lopes would make the $hitbike look better than any $6K bike I could buy.

    I propose Ibis send a HD frame to our good buddy Lgxtracheese ("mow it don't flow it"). If the HD can make one summer with that dude, I'm all in.
    Taking it easy for all you sinners.

  14. #14
    Well Biked
    Reputation: scepticshock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,860
    I just put on a 2.5 60a Highroller dual ply on the back and there has been no rub. That would be all I would need for serous DH stuff. It's just that the larger volume all mountain tires can run bigger.

    Anybody tested the Nevegal 2.35 and 2.5?

  15. #15
    Hey, that's recyclable!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    50

    Lgxtracheese

    Quote Originally Posted by jubilee
    I did a short 30 min demo, but will do another before buying. No doubt Lopes can put a bike thru the ringer. But he's only one dude who is super smooth and very likely weighs less than my naked 200 lbs (sorry for the visual). Lopes would make the $hitbike look better than any $6K bike I could buy.

    I propose Ibis send a HD frame to our good buddy Lgxtracheese ("mow it don't flow it"). If the HD can make one summer with that dude, I'm all in.
    Lgxtracheese was at the Ibis demo we did in August and rode a XL Mojo HD. His niece and nephew were with him so I doubt he had the opportunity to really thrash it but he did get a chance to ride it. Maybe we can get him to chime in. He is definitely one big dude.

  16. #16
    ride your bike
    Reputation: jubilee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    9,447
    Quote Originally Posted by Olga_icannot
    Lgxtracheese was at the Ibis demo we did in August and rode a XL Mojo HD. His niece and nephew were with him so I doubt he had the opportunity to really thrash it but he did get a chance to ride it. Maybe we can get him to chime in. He is definitely one big dude.
    Oh, he's already in love with it!
    Taking it easy for all you sinners.

  17. #17
    ride your bike
    Reputation: jubilee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    9,447
    Quote Originally Posted by scepticshock
    I just put on a 2.5 60a Highroller dual ply on the back and there has been no rub. That would be all I would need for serous DH stuff. It's just that the larger volume all mountain tires can run bigger.

    Anybody tested the Nevegal 2.35 and 2.5?
    That's good news. What rims are you running?
    Taking it easy for all you sinners.

  18. #18
    Well Biked
    Reputation: scepticshock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,860
    Stan's ZTR Flow

  19. #19
    ride your bike
    Reputation: jubilee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    9,447
    Quote Originally Posted by scepticshock
    Stan's ZTR Flow
    Hmm...that's a decent width rim and a good sized tire.

    Nevegals are my go-to here in the Northwest, would likely run the 2.35 on a similar rim width as you.

    Good news again.
    Taking it easy for all you sinners.

  20. #20
    Hey, that's recyclable!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    50

    No rub on HD140

    FWIW I'm running 2.35 Nevegals on Edge AM rims (30mm outside width, 24mm inside width) and I don't have any tire rub. I've definitely bottomed my shock several times so even at full compression it doesn't appear to be close. Not surprising given the reduced travel I suppose.

    If I remove the shock completely and cycle the swingarm through its full range of motion the tire definitely hits the seat tube.

  21. #21
    ride your bike
    Reputation: jubilee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    9,447
    Okay, I'm feeling better about this.
    Taking it easy for all you sinners.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.