mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Mojo HD Race Thrashing

Hey guys,
    I am in the market for a new Super D race frame, and the Mojo HD is looking pretty damn sexy. I wanted to know if there is anyone out there about my size riding this thing hard. I am 195 lbs without gear on, and this frame would get raced down courses at Winter Park and Keystone.

Anyone out there have any knowledge on this thing's ability to handle that kind of thrashing?

Thanks,
    Alex

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The regular mojo can handle super-d's quite well. I have no doubt that the hd would be even more durable.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    watch the video of brian lopes killing it down aline in whistler on the ibis website. Id say itll handle what you can throw at it.

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by abbike18
    Hey guys,
    I am in the market for a new Super D race frame, and the Mojo HD is looking pretty damn sexy. I wanted to know if there is anyone out there about my size riding this thing hard. I am 195 lbs without gear on, and this frame would get raced down courses at Winter Park and Keystone.

Anyone out there have any knowledge on this thing's ability to handle that kind of thrashing?

Thanks,
    Alex
    I have a standard mojo I have ridden around colorado and utah the past 3 years with no problems at all. It has raced super-d. The winter park super-d is smooth going, the keystone super-d can be ridden on AM bikes or DH bikes so the mojo would have advantage in some parts but give up time to a true DH in other parts. Keystone at the last MSC was Girl Scout to TNT to Loggers down to River Runs Through.

Railing down Porcupine in Moab will put more pressure on a bike than most Super-D courses. (I have done a whole lot more Porcupine runs on my Mojo than I have Super-D races).
    I am 185lbs without gear.

ride your bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Tintr
    watch the video of brian lopes killing it down aline in whistler on the ibis website. Id say itll handle what you can throw at it.
    Not the best example IMO. Aline isn't exactly chock full o chunder.
    Last edited by jubilee; 08-31-2010 at 06:19 PM.
    Taking it easy for all you sinners.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by zzsean
    I have a standard mojo I have ridden around colorado and utah the past 3 years with no problems at all. It has raced super-d. The winter park super-d is smooth going, the keystone super-d can be ridden on AM bikes or DH bikes so the mojo would have advantage in some parts but give up time to a true DH in other parts. Keystone at the last MSC was Girl Scout to TNT to Loggers down to River Runs Through.

Railing down Porcupine in Moab will put more pressure on a bike than most Super-D courses. (I have done a whole lot more Porcupine runs on my Mojo than I have Super-D races).
    I am 185lbs without gear.
    yeah, keystone super ds seem like they could use a beefier bike, i got second last race to a yeti 303...but thanks for the advice.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I had my Mojo HD at keystone, winter park and sol vista back in June. I also had my dh bike with me, but I preferred to ride the HD even at keystone. I'm about 215lbs and I'm not very easy on my bikes. The HD handled everything at keystone. I felt quite a bit faster on the HD even on the black and double black runs. I did manage to blow up the rp23 that was on it while I was out there, so I wouldn't recommend using that rear shock at keystone. I now have a cane creek double barrel on the HD.

Dusty

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    post up a pic of your hd with the double barrel. how does the rear suspension feel with the coil?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    All I can say is that I won't be going back to an air shock. I only have about 20 miles of cross country on it, but it seems bottomless. I've taken it off of a few jumps/drops to flat, maybe only 3ft or so, but I haven't bottomed it out. I have it setup very soft and plush. I can sit down in the roughest rock gardens and the shock just eats it up. Unfortunately I only have the shock as a demo for 2 weeks, but I'm also going to be trying out the fox dhx rc4.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mojo HD Race Thrashing-ccdb.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    you should also take a look at the pushed vivid

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dustman1218
    All I can say is that I won't be going back to an air shock. I only have about 20 miles of cross country on it, but it seems bottomless. I've taken it off of a few jumps/drops to flat, maybe only 3ft or so, but I haven't bottomed it out. I have it setup very soft and plush. I can sit down in the roughest rock gardens and the shock just eats it up. Unfortunately I only have the shock as a demo for 2 weeks, but I'm also going to be trying out the fox dhx rc4.
    Please do give us some more detailed reports on both shocks, it would be very valuable. A dedicated thread would be awesome!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Yody
    Please do give us some more detailed reports on both shocks, it would be very valuable. A dedicated thread would be awesome!
    I will get a thread started once I get some more time on the shocks.

Dusty

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I have a Mojo HD with a RC4 which works wonderfull. Maybe I can put in the CCDB from my Intense SS2 to compare those two shocks. But I will need a new mounting kit for it.
    I was told that the CCDB won't work too good in the Mojo HD because it lacks the possibility to rise the compression towards the end of the shock stroke (which is possible on the RC4).

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    dustman - how did you blow up the rp23? did it just overheat from too much dh? Lopes runs a Roco on his HD, and that has some bottom out dampening

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by abbike18
    Lopes runs a Roco on his HD, and that has some bottom out dampening
    I'm sure that has to do with his sponsorship, and tuned for him... you might say the HD frame is stock, but doubt the suspensions are....

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by dustman1218
    I will get a thread started once I get some more time on the shocks.

Dusty
    Dusty, any news on how the CCDB is on the HD?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jubilee
    Not the best example IMO. Aline isn't exactly chock full o chunder.
    Agreed. Everyone in here loves to cite that video but it just isn't that abusive to the bike.

OP: I just sold my Intense SS that I'd been racing Super Ds with the past 2 seasons for the Mojo HD. Got it set up as a 140 for buff courses (which most, unfortunately, are). I'll swap out to 160 mode for burlier tracks like Moab and Brian Head. I'd love to come over for some MSC races but I refuse to race Super Ds with mass starts, especially ones requiring running... they're just retarded. Time trial is the only way to go IMO.

Anyway, what finally sold me on making the move to Ibis was the amount of them popping up at the Moab Ho-Down this fall. And a sometimes-riding-buddy of mine from Jackson who absolutely slayed that course on his regular Mojo. He took 3rd in Open/Pro this year on it, and is about your size, maybe a bit lighter but a tall dude. Video:

Dropshot Champ!
    wow that video is some sick riding!

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit
    I refuse to race Super Ds with mass starts, especially ones requiring running... they're just retarded. Time trial is the only way to go IMO.
    I agree, and so do some of the other Colorado pros. A Super D series is in the works for next season and I think it's gonna be all time trial, just like a DH race.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt
    I agree, and so do some of the other Colorado pros. A Super D series is in the works for next season and I think it's gonna be all time trial, just like a DH race.
    A Colorado series? Or wider rockies region? Either way... eeeexcellent [ / Mr. Burns ]

Yeah I did the Nationals at Sol Vista last year, the uphill running start just ruined it for me. Still had a respectable finish in cat 1 but I wasn't stoked on that race - had way more fun racing the DH.

bike rider
    I heard this from some friends who are pro racers, team managers, and some who work for race promoters. All are from Summit County or the Front Range so I got the impression that it would be a fairly local series. I haven't been in contact with these guys since Sept so no updates but come March I'm hoping to hear something.
    We all agreed that Super D needs to be time trial and not jammed into the early morning of DH race day.

Edit: If you really want to see this kind of series send an email to some of your local race promoters or talk about it when you're at your favorite LBS. It's a budding thing and the lackadaisical turnout and coverage of mass start Super Ds at MSC and Nationals doesn't motivate promoters.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Nice, thanks for the beta. Yeah we are fortunate enough here in Utah that SD is on a separate day and is a time trial (Utah DH series). At Brian Head last year they even put the DH on Saturday and the Super D on Sunday - so awesome.

Krispy at Go-Ride is working with the Utah DH Series guys to get a separate SD series as well, really hope they're able to put something together for 2011. Super D seems to be gaining momentum, but it needs more...

Members who have read this thread: 0