mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Mojo HD made my way? why not?

Hey, this is my first post ever. I'm a US Air Force guy in Nebraska and I have wanted to pull the trigger on a mojo for years now, even before the SL came out. Patiently I have been waiting/saving and reading/following everyones threads and comments. I got a call today from my LBS that a Black Mojo HD that I inquired on back in July could be mine now in about a week. I started talking about customization options and the following is how I wish I could have my bike built, but found I have limited options.
    - Black Mojo HD in 140mm setup
    - 32 Talas 150mm Kashima with 15mm axle
    - Formula One 180 FR and 160 RR brakes
    - 2x10 drivetrain option in either X9 or XO, not just the uber expensive XX
    - King hubs FR and RR
    - 650B rims? which?? I hope the 650B market gets bigger, maybe I'll have to stick with 26" but again which rims??
    - an adjustable seatpost, but not sure which one yet??

So, obviously IBIS doesn't offer some of the above options, so do I just get the frame and piece it together or does some one think IBIS will have more options soon. I recall in a video recently made at IBIS with some hints of more things to come soon, i.e. 29" bike and more. When I'm about to spend this kind of money I want to feel like I am getting what I want for the best price I can, and I don't feel like that getting the X9 or XT HD build kits. Anybody have any thoughts?

aka dan51
    In order to do a bike right, you've got to get frame only then put your own parts on it. If you do it, do it right the first time.
    I would doubt that Ibis would ever offer the 650B wheel size. It's not that popular yet.
    I saw mention today of a Stans Flow 650B rim. That would be the way to go IMO.
    For seatpost I would go with a Gravity Dropper. Mine has been reliable for 4 years, while my KS has only made it through 4 rides and been sent in for repair twice. Avoid the Joplin at all costs. Too many friends have them, and they are always failing. I can't even find an LBS that recommends them.

Welcome to the forums

www.derbyrims.com
    Your dealer can set you up with your wish list. Or get a full build if satisfied with the big parts and replace as the other parts wear out.

Congratulations!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Happy Building

IBIS will only offer a standart kit to get the best price on components and best bang for buck with and acceptable profit. LBS will do the same but more willing to change and customise as the purchaser wants. Or you buy all the gear online and build it yourself and get what you want, but and a big but take all the risk if things dont fit and dont work properly where the bike shop will handle all your problems and swap things where they can .

Alternatively Just Sell me the frame and I will suffer the indignity of having a MOJO HD at last. The suffering could take years to over come but I am willing to accept the challenge.

flow where ever you go
    I see no reason you can't have your LBS build the bike just how you want. Look at wrenchscience to see how a LBS can outfit a bike just about any way you want.
    I like Stans rims, 26 or 650b. Easy enough to find and have built with the King hubs you want too. It will be costly to go all custom build, but you'll have your dream come true. Good luck!

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    If you know you want custom wheels (King Hubs) and a Kashima fork then you are best off sourcing the frame and doing a full custom build with either your LBS or Competitive Cyclist or Wrench Science (did the math with my LBS on custom wheels and a non OEM fork and you lose the stock build kit savings pretty fast).

Ibis mentioned some XTR builds coming in the future but only X9 or XX from SRAM no future XO build planned (what I wanted).

If you want 2x10 with a bash you need to buy the 3x10 setup and remove the outer chain ring.

The Ibis OEM fork is 150/130 instead of 150/120 which maybe a consideration for you also.

The Rockshox Reverb is another option on the post I would look at. Just starting to show up at shops now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Man you are going to love this bike.! 650b with velocity blunt p35 and 2.3 tire is a solid set up for me.It will only fit the front. THe p-35 may be overkill for you but it's light for its size.My bike pedals so well as a long travel I don't see why people want to go short.

ride your bike
    Go for the 160mm HD and get a PCS to Peterson or JBLM.

Otherwise your plan sounds good...get exactly what you want.
    Taking it easy for all you sinners.

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Huck Pitueee
    Man you are going to love this bike.! 650b with velocity blunt p35 and 2.3 tire is a solid set up for me.It will only fit the front. THe p-35 may be overkill for you but it's light for its size.My bike pedals so well as a long travel I don't see why people want to go short.
    I fit my Blunt rimmed 650b x 2.3 in the back of a proto HD and let the air out of the shock. It showed plenty of room at bottomout. Now I'm hearing of seat tube rub with some 26 inch tires. There is no bottom bumper in Fox air shocks, only a little o-ring to compress further than I did. Either there is extremely falling rate leverage at bottom travel, or something changed. Anyway its very easy to add a thin shim to reduce the bottom travel of a Fox air or any coil shock to prevent seat tube rub. For example, the Fox factory shims a 2.0 stroke RP type air shock a whopping 1/4 inch for the 1.75 inch stroke Specialized Triad OEM.

650bx2.3 front-only would give a front and rear 160mm travel HD 66.5 degree head angle and the additional steering trail with the taller wheel adds more flop that would feel like having under 66 degrees with a 26 inch wheel. Similar handling to putting a 26x2.7 DH wheel on the front only, except about 1.5 pounds lighter and less aggressive tread.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ccon007
    I have wanted to pull the trigger on a mojo for years now, even before the SL came out. Patiently I have been waiting/saving and reading/following everyones threads and comments....
    I hope you've been riding something else in the mean time... that's an awful long time (what 3y ?) to be saving when you could have bought a used mojo and enjoyed one all those years. While this doesn't apply to the HD as it is too new - you don't say what terrain you ride, your weight, etc.. but there are plenty of Mojo/Mojo SL frames to be had, and I would think especialyl now that the HD is out (everybody wants the newest thing). I got a very high end used 2010 Mojo (AM build) at the beginnign of the year for 40% what it would have cost to built it with the cheapest internet prices, and fork/shock where brand new (I picked the fork - a 150mm Revelation uturn, my second one).

Sometime too much reading, not enought riding, will make you think you must have the latest gig - "Kashima" coating, really ??? not necessarly wise $

my 2c.

Quote Originally Posted by d-bug
    For seatpost I would go with a Gravity Dropper. Mine has been reliable for 4 years, while my KS has only made it through 4 rides and been sent in for repair twice. Avoid the Joplin at all costs. Too many friends have them, and they are always failing. I can't even find an LBS that recommends them.
    +1 on the GD. I read and met a fair amount of people who had problems with the others. Never see issues with GD as they are very simple mechanical you can service yourself. Some people thing they are fuggly, but I don't care I want reliable. I have a bad knee and being 1/4-1/2" off will eventually hurt on long climbs, so I need to know I'm in the top pin position, and no slidding.

Enjoy whatever you get. The Mojo is a great bike from a great company.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    In response to fitting a 650-b on rear.I'm not going to pull out callipers but at a glance the lower chainstay yoke clearance looks way too close.Absolutely no room for mud or rocks.
    Last edited by Huck Pitueee; 10-17-2010 at 08:41 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by d-bug
    KS has only made it through 4 rides and been sent in for repair twice
    That's odd. I've ridden with KS over a year and not a single issue. No slipping or lateral movement at all. I have several friends that ride them as well and the only issue I've seen with them is the cable pulling out on one of them.

Didn't mean to derail the thread. Carry on

Members who have read this thread: 0