Mojo 3?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Mojo 3?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Mojo 3?

Anyone have this bike? What do you think? How does it hold up or comparative 27.5 bikes.

Seems most people talk about the Ripmo and Ripley these days, but I am still a bit meh about 29ers

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    depending on what you ride, i would probably look at hd3 as well. similar bike but more travel. best 27.5 bike. capable long travel trail bike. hd3 is very differnet bike than newer hd4 and latest hd5.
    can be build very light too and you will find them used these days for a steal.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I have ridden both, ended up with the HD3 because it can handle bad line choices and Not the greatest jump/ drop landings better .

The Mojo 3 is probably the most playful, easy to get comfortable on trail bike that I have ever ridden.

So as a trail bike it is really good.

Some have even built it into an HD3-ish bike with a 150mm fork and an X-2 shock.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I have a Mojo 3 for 3 years now. Before that had a HD3. Like the Mojo better but that could have been fit. One was a small, the other medium. I find the Mojo to be more playful and handles drop good enough for me. Plus I like 2.8 tires because of wrist arthritis. I recently demoed a Ripley. On the Ripley I felt like I was above the bike. On the Mojo3 I feel more centered and confident. Definitely prefer the Mojo3.

Got rocks?
    Had my M3 since October of 16í. Super fun playful bike. My trails are tight natural rocky single track and this bike is great for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    How does it handle climbs? pretty fast and snappy still?

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Kulharin View Post
    How does it handle climbs? pretty fast and snappy still?
    Handles climbing great. Only caveat is that you have to be careful with pedaling as the BB is LOOOOOW.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    does that mean pedal strikes are an issue?

would it be lower than my anthem sx 2015? I cannot find this measurement.

The ripley appears to have an even shorted BB height though according to the IBIS page?

mtbr member
    does that mean pedal strikes are an issue?

would it be lower than my anthem sx 2015? I cannot find this measurement.

The ripley appears to have an even shorted BB height though according to the IBIS page?
    I find the Mojo3 does not necessarily strike more often than other bikes, you just need to be alert where your cranks are in technical terrain. I run 170 cranks on a M and ride in AZ where there is plenty of chunk and only have the occasional strike.

Agree with others, the bike is light, fast and playful. It feels almost like a XC bike when I get off my Bronson and ride the Mojo. It climbs very well. Although, I feel like my rear tire will spin if I'm not conscious about keeping enough weight over the rear.

When you point it downhill, it is not a slack as newer bike geo and you may not feel as confident if it gets really gnarly. I find I have to pick my lines more precisely instead of just letting the bike roll. But overall, one of the most fun bikes I have ridden.
    The only trace I leave behind is tire marks.

mtbr member
    Anyone have this bike? What do you think? How does it hold up or comparative 27.5 bikes.

Seems most people talk about the Ripmo and Ripley these days, but I am still a bit meh about 29ers
    I only tried the Mojo 3 as a demo but I have been on a HD3 for five years. It is a great bike, much better than I am a rider and it can forgive a lot of my clumsiness! I recently switched from the original DPS shock to a DPX2 that allowed a much more nuanced set up in the back, but I also installed a PUSH ACS3 coil conversion in front: that changed the bike and put to rest any question I might have had about possibly switching to 29. Really: all talk about a 29 having better "roll over" disappear if you have a fork that actually works.

A Mojo 3 with a DPX2 + coil front would be a killer bike. The shorter travel in the back would be more than compensated by the performance of the coil in front, and you would have a slightly lighter and agile bike. Still if you can find a used HD3 in good shape get it: the weight difference between the frames is very little and the HD3 is plenty agile.
    Last edited by Davide; 04-23-2020 at 08:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Essentially I am considering replacing my 2015 anthem advance sx 100/130 travel 27.5 with a mojo 3

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    I wonder when Ibis will update the Mojo 3... would love to see it with a 65-66 HA and a 76-77 seat angle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wishiwasbiking View Post
    I wonder when Ibis will update the Mojo 3... would love to see it with a 65-66 HA and a 76-77 seat angle.
    If you really think that that is of any importance why not install an adjustable head set and move your seat forward?
    Last edited by Davide; 05-03-2020 at 07:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Is this the previous generation or did they just change the color of the frame?

https://www.ridleys.com/product/ibis...d-kit-6467.htm

Got rocks?
    Only changed colors

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by wishiwasbiking View Post
    Mostly agree with this but letís not get to slack with the new M4. The 67 ish head angle of the M3 is part of what makes it so fun and agile.

My ideal M4 would have the same travel numbers with a 66.5 Ha, 76 SA, 450mm reach with a flip chip so you can adjust the HA between 66.5 and 66. Also, letís ditch the 2.8 tire clearance for 2.6 max so the rear end can be smidge narrower.

Basically I want all the numbers from a current Santa Cruz 5010 but with a 140mm front fork and DW suspension.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by distortion10 View Post
    Mostly agree with this but letís not get to slack with the new M4. The 67 ish head angle of the M3 is part of what makes it so fun and agile.

My ideal M4 would have the same travel numbers with a 66.5 Ha, 76 SA, 450mm reach with a flip chip so you can adjust the HA between 66.5 and 66. Also, letís ditch the 2.8 tire clearance for 2.6 max so the rear end can be smidge narrower.

I find discussions on fractions of degrees kind of silly. They are mostly fantasies that could be avoided by simple market or after market devices (the already mentioned adjustable headset, forward mount seat posts or saddles with longer rails). Of course it is much more profitable to tell people that they need a new frame!

But you might be onto something. I bet that soon enough we will see a "Have we gone too far?" trend that will argue the importance of having a steeper HA and slacker SA so stay put! Your current Mojo 3 might be the perfect geometry bike in a year or two.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    So how would the Mojo 3 compare to the most recent Trance 27.5 or Anthem 27.5?

Care to guess?

mtbr member
    So how would the Mojo 3 compare to the most recent Trance 27.5 or Anthem 27.5?

Care to guess?
    I'd say it sits between them. The 27.5 Trance and Anthem haven't changed much in the past couple years, so they're not really any more "progressive" geometry-wise, though the Ibis is a bit shorter in the reach department. In terms of capability, the Trance is a 140/150 bike and the Anthem is a 110/130 bike. At 130/140, the Mojo falls in the middle. I've found that Ibis's suspension tends to pedal better than Giant's, but YMMV.

EDR
    I also ride in central AZ (mostly) with lots of rocks, some loose and many embedded that stick up from the ground like a series of icebergs. Lot's of punchy climbing here and plenty of sustained climbing if you seek it (not Colorado type climbing). I've been on my M3 since about Jan 2019. I run a 150mm Pike and X2.

1st of all the bike is NOT a plow bike. You can't just point and shoot down the chunkiest of trail like you're couch surfing. BUT...it is a super fun bike. Nimble, agile, keeps a nice high position in it's travel so climbing is actually fun on this thing and it's super playful. All these things make it a great bike for me at this time. I used to ride the same trails on Yeti's with nearly 6'' of travel for many years and those bike were much more controlled over the gnar...but this bike is better for me in every other situation.

Anyway it's a fun bike and the DW suspension is great. If you want Caddy-plush, plow bike or point and shoot, look further.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    The biggest challenge is trying to find one at a reasonable price point in Canada.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    looks like the bottom bracket height for my anthem advanced sx 2015 is 300mm if that sounds about right... depending on where you are suppose to take the measurement? Is it suppose to be from the bottom (frame) of the bottom bracket? essentially the lowest part of the bike that's not the wheels?

mtbr member
    Bottom bracket height is typically measured from the center of the BB, not the lowest point on the frame. It's also extremely difficult to measure accurately at home because the bike has to be perfectly vertical. Fortunately, Giant gives the BB drop for the Anthem SX, which is how much lower the BB is compared to the rear axle - that makes it easy to work out the (static) BB height. BB drop on the Anthem SX is 22mm, so if you measure the diameter of your rear wheel (with the tire on), divide by 2, and subtract 22mm, you will know the BB height of your bike. It'll probably be around 330mm.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Frustrating comparing Giant and Ibis since Giant just gives the BB drop while Ibis just gives the BB height on their specs page.

Essentially trying to discern whether rock strikes would be less of an issue on the Mojo 3 compared to the Anthem SX. Looks like they'd be fairly similar in that aspect?

The Ibis Ripley seems to have even less BB height then Mojo 3

EDR
    Frustrating comparing Giant and Ibis since Giant just gives the BB drop while Ibis just gives the BB height on their specs page.

Essentially trying to discern whether rock strikes would be less of an issue on the Mojo 3 compared to the Anthem SX. Looks like they'd be fairly similar in that aspect?

The Ibis Ripley seems to have even less BB height then Mojo 3
    honestly I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill. Like I said before I ride in Phoenix. Rocks galore. You learn to adjust a tad with each bike you own. It's essentially a non-issue. I highly suggest you buy the bike you enjoy riding the the most try not to fret over a few millimeters on paper,.besides there's other variables that go into it like the rear suspension. The m3 sits up pretty high as it doesn't wallow in its travel, this helps keep the pedals higher.

The days of bikes with 14in or more of bottom bracket height are largely gone. But if that's what you need there are still some out there you'll just have to search around.

Also if you're not tall change to 170 or 165 mm cranks. I did that and with thin XT SPD trail pedals it was a noticeable improvement

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    OK thanks!

If I was wanting to run a 2.35 on the rear and 2.40-2.50 on the front would I want to opt for the smaller rims "28 inner as opposed to the 35 inner?" currently the rims on my anthem are only 21 inner.

https://www.lightbicycle.com/newslet...cycle-rim.html

Is this accurate?

mtbr member
    Yes, I would stick with the 28mm inner for those tire sizes. 35 is pretty wide, especially for a 2.35.

JAK
    mtbr member
    The BB is low in the stock config. It should come with a 1FiddyFork. There is quite a difference in handling characteristics both up and down betwixt a 140&150 and the 150 shines on both fronts and for the DH, it isn't even fair how much brighter it is. The 150 is the way IMO.
    Night has fallen.
    And there's nothin' we can do about it.

mtbr member
    The 150mm fork does help with pedal strikes. I'd either do that or as previously suggested, use 170mm crank arms. Otherwise I think you will find that you will get an annoying number of pedal strikes...unless you live where there are no rocks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    How do you wager the mojo 3 climbs compared to the new Ripley?

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Iíll answer that. I have a Mojo3 and I have ridden the newest Ripley a lot. I would say they climb about that same. However I feel way more in control going down chunk on the Mojo. Could be fit or what I am use to. On the Ripley I feel above the bike. On the Mojo I feel in the bike. When I had to get a new bike I went for another Mojo3.

jrm
    mtbr member
    About the same having owned and M3 and currently riding the ripley and the set ups being about the same. My position on both is pretty much over the crank spindle so the power is focused on the downward stroke/push. There about the same on being pretty upright which i find really comfortable. But a lot has to do with DW linkage riding high in its stroke when climbing as well. The M3 does spin up a bit easier and with tired legs will spin up quicker but i like the roll over of the larger wheel so its bit of a trade off IMO.

Also the talk of using a 150mm travel fork. When i went this route Ibis suggested using a for with a shorter offset and bumping up to a fox 36 or RS Pike. instant H3/4

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I am finding it surprising the mojo 3 climbs comparable to the new Ripley? That's pretty impressive since the new Ripley is suppose to be a climbing beast... would have figured it' be closer to the Ripmo for climbing but that's good to know.

EDR
    I am finding it surprising the mojo 3 climbs comparable to the new Ripley? That's pretty impressive since the new Ripley is suppose to be a climbing beast... would have figured it' be closer to the Ripmo for climbing but that's good to know.
    Haven't you read the news? Every new bike on the market climbs like a billygoat...on crack no less.

But seriously, does any relatively lightweight DW bike not climb well? I've read some minor complaints about some Pivots but never Ibis really. Maybe that's cuz Pivot simply has some bigger bikes going that lean more toward the plow-through-stuff side of things.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I've tried a few bikes recently and not sure if it's more the tires but some bikes certainly feel more sluggish on the climb then others. Norco Optic 29 seems to get bogged down on the climbs but crushes downhill and technical sections, Trek Slash seemed to climb very well surprisingly; better then the Optic. Rocky Mt altitude chewed through any technical terrain up or down but again seemed pretty slow on the flowy sections and smooth climbs.

Would you consider the Mojo 3 to be a good middle ground between my anthem sx and the altitude? I really want something more capable then my anthem for technical and steeper terrain without loosing too much of the XC feel, agility and bursts of speed through the flowy sections.

Sux I can't demo a ripley or mojo 3 on the trails so now I am just trying bikes that may be slightly comparative.

EDR
    I'm not familiar with the anthem or the other bike you mentioned. What kind of bikes are those? Rear travel, head tube angle etc?

EDR
    Well some quick research shows the altitude to be a 150 / 160 bike and I'm not sure what the anthem is but I'm guessing it's a 120 ish XC style bike. So yes, on paper the mojo 3 would fit smack dab in the middle but I didn't look at the geo charts of the Anthem.

The mojo is plenty snappy for every day trail riding, especially if you setup your suspension on the firmer side and certainly capable of much more if you're willing to work the bike a bit. Light tires and wheels wouldn't hurt either but it just rides wonderfully (high) in its rear travel so getting up and going quickly is not a problem. It's the reason I chose it over the yeti sb5 and 5.5 that I test rode. To be fair those were only short demos and not on real trails, but those bikes just felt super planted to the ground to me and when I hopped on the m3 it was totally different. I was sold

I'm running the X2 rear shock and a 150 m m Pike just because of where I ride, so most people are probably on something different, probably even more snappy than the X2. I'm also considering a coil kit for the Pike and if I can ever get past the sticker shock of PUSH I'll pull the trigger for sure. Just suits my terrain better. So as you can see I lean towards the enduro side a bit with this bike but by no means is it one. Fits the bill perfectly for me right now. You can totally go the other way and in the middle is where I'm sure most people fall with their builds.

It's not a super plush bike in my opinion at least compared to what I had in the past however it does well enough in the chunk for me and I ride in Phoenix. You just have to maneuver it a little bit more rather than plowing over everything like an Enduro bike. It shines everywhere else and it's poppy.

If you are used to 29ers then that is something else to consider. I won't speak to the Ripley since I've never ridden one.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    More use to 27.5 ... my anthem is a 27.5 with 100 rear travel and 130mm fork. geo is what you'd expect from a 2015 xc bike. steep head angle, slack seat angle.

A lot of people are trying to push me toward a 29er but I've not ridden one that has out right convinced me that's the way to go. hence towing the line between Mojo 3 and Ripley atm while I try to demo some varied bikes.

EDR
    Well I personally think the m3 would be a great fit for what you're asking for.

27 vs 29er is completely subjective, I can't help you with that part.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    How would the Mojo 3 compare to the Giant Trance Advanced 1 27.5 2019?

Fun, agility, climbing, downhill, technical wise?

The Mojo 3 geometry seems more progressive and all around just looks cooler... The price point is way up there though! ... Right now I can get a similarly specked brand new Trance for half the price if you factor in carbon wheelset. $3800 Canadian tax in with the carbon wheels.

I did see a brand new X01 mojo 3 with carbon wheels for $7500 tax in... which looks awesome; it'd be nice to have that kind of money! :P