mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Lopes Link Stome Collector

Anybody have any good ideas to protect the frame seat tube from getting all chewed up from stones between the top part of the Lopes link and seat post member? It acts as a nut cracker when a stone gets between the two.

Captured a small stone during a muddy race and as the suspension compressed it chewed up my seat tube. I was bummed because there was nothing I could do about it.

Seems like it would be a good canidate for a piece of protective metal similar to the chain stay protector by the chain ring.

I like keeping my mojo looking good, this is not a good design for us riders in the North East having to deal with frequent muddy conditions.

Mojo

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Maybe a inner tube + zip tie shield will keep enough of the rocks out. I haven't had this happen yet but I just got mine.

Has a cycling disorder
    I used a dremel to remove the lip on the link and that seems to have fixed it. There is some FS on there also.
    Al
    Last edited by fishboy2807; 10-16-2010 at 12:39 AM.
    Frameskin™ Bike Protection Film
    www.frameskin.com
    Dirtsurfer™ Custom mudguards
    www.dirtsurfer.com.au

mtbr member
    I was thinking about something like a neoprene headset protectors like this:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...9&ModelID=4773

I have the same issues in the UK, so much so that I have bite marks out of the lopes link where the stones have got the better of it.

I’m not so worried about the carbon (I hope) as its just surface scratches and its under the link so you can’t really see it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I had one layer of film under the LL and it got gouged pretty good recently and went through the film and scratched just through the clearcoat. Now I am running a double layer of protective film in that area which also takes up a bit more volume. I like the idea of a guard similar to the chainsuck plate, would definitely offer better protection.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sessionrider
    I had one layer of film under the LL and it got gouged pretty good recently and went through the film and scratched just through the clearcoat. Now I am running a double layer of protective film in that area which also takes up a bit more volume. I like the idea of a guard similar to the chainsuck plate, would definitely offer better protection.
    Yes, I'm surprized Ibis hasn't come out with one. It's definitely a poor design on the part of using a lopes link, even if it dosn't cause any structural damage. Scatches from a poor design, suck.

Mojo

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    About 15 months ago I had the same problem - it made a meal out of my seat tube, and I was cranky! I probably went overboard, but took the bike into a reputable carbon fibre repair shop in Perth, Western Australia. The uv test on the area showed the structral damage was not bad - purely superficial. He spent a lot of time and energy trying to devise a small aluminium 'shield' to sit in under the Lopes Link. We finally constructed one, with all the correct curves and coverage, but could not get enough clearance under the Link at the full range of suspension motion to get it to work.....no joy there. In the end, he has taken back the carbon fibre layer which was gouged out and lay a strip of kevlar on there to give the area some abrasion resistance. He's then overlaid a piece of carbon fibre for looks and put a new, tougher clear coat on there. We have taken the bottom lip out of the Lopes Link to provide a clearer flow for rocks to escape.
    I haven't posted this on here before, because I was cranky about the whole experience, but the repair in the end has now lasted 12 months with no further gouging - and the knowledge that the damage was superficial only even theough it looked really bad - is worth sharing.
    Cheers, Dan

Has a cycling disorder
    Hey Dan.
    Well done on the fix.
    Frameskin™ Bike Protection Film
    www.frameskin.com
    Dirtsurfer™ Custom mudguards
    www.dirtsurfer.com.au

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Danfromthehills
    About 15 months ago I had the same problem - it made a meal out of my seat tube, and I was cranky! I probably went overboard, but took the bike into a reputable carbon fibre repair shop in Perth, Western Australia. The uv test on the area showed the structral damage was not bad - purely superficial. He spent a lot of time and energy trying to devise a small aluminium 'shield' to sit in under the Lopes Link. We finally constructed one, with all the correct curves and coverage, but could not get enough clearance under the Link at the full range of suspension motion to get it to work.....no joy there. In the end, he has taken back the carbon fibre layer which was gouged out and lay a strip of kevlar on there to give the area some abrasion resistance. He's then overlaid a piece of carbon fibre for looks and put a new, tougher clear coat on there. We have taken the bottom lip out of the Lopes Link to provide a clearer flow for rocks to escape.
    I haven't posted this on here before, because I was cranky about the whole experience, but the repair in the end has now lasted 12 months with no further gouging - and the knowledge that the damage was superficial only even theough it looked really bad - is worth sharing.
    Cheers, Dan
    If I feel motivated this winter I may buy some CF mesh and make a cover rather than using st'l or Al. It only needs to be about 1/32" thick which should clear the link. I can silicone it on as a safe guard. Who nows, if it turns out good, maybe I could sell them and be the next Fishboy, "Link Carbon Skin"?

Thanks for the ideas,

Mojo

Members who have read this thread: 0