mtbr member

Little play on the begging of the travel with DT shock

Hi guys,

couple weeks ago my shock was changed for DT XR carbon. Previously I rode fox rp23. DT should be more comfortable. It is but now I can feel little play somewhere around the mounts of the shock. On the start of the travel when rear wheel goes over the small hole is "play" noticeable and makes "clap" noise. I tried change shock for another one from DT but with the same result. With FOX it does not make it. My local dealer tried changed mount bolts, spherical balls on the shock but without succes.

Any idea how to solve this problem ?

thank you

holding back the darkness
    Check the shock mounts for play. Stick your finger in between the shock and the frame and gently lift the bike. If you can feel any play there you either need new reducers, or you can find some VERY thin washers and place them between the shock reducers and the frame.
    **** censorship

rockhound
    Jul 2007
    I had the same problem on my HD when the RP23 was swapped out for a DHX Air.

Apparently, a washer on one side of the shock mount near the front of the triangle had been lost.

After the missing washer was added, the play went away.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eastbaybotanist
    I had the same problem on my HD when the RP23 was swapped out for a DHX Air.

Apparently, a washer on one side of the shock mount near the front of the triangle had been lost.

After the missing washer was added, the play went away.
    "the washers" do you mean the black [silicon] reducers on both sides of the shock mount (they are in the frame)? I tought that they are not replaceable.
    Last edited by Twispik1; 09-21-2010 at 12:32 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by subliminalshiver
    Check the shock mounts for play. Stick your finger in between the shock and the frame and gently lift the bike. If you can feel any play there you either need new reducers, or you can find some VERY thin washers and place them between the shock reducers and the frame.
    If I do that as you wrote I can't feel the play, just only when I ride.

Washers like super thin little washers that you might get from the hardware store.
    Reducers are the pieces of hardware that fit into the "eyes" of the shocks and the bolts slide through.
    **** censorship

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by subliminalshiver
    Washers like super thin little washers that you might get from the hardware store.
    Reducers are the pieces of hardware that fit into the "eyes" of the shocks and the bolts slide through.
    Thanks for your terminology. So what I need is some the thin washers and have to put them between frame mount and reducers of the shock ? Am I correct ?

thanks

Yes. Sounds good. Give it a try. The washers will have to be quite thin.
    It will either solve the problem or rule it out.
    **** censorship

Members who have read this thread: 0