mtbr member

liam2051's carbon fetish build two months on - photo coverage

Hi all,

Some of you may have seen a few months ago my build thread, now its two months later and I thought Id give some impressions and of course, more photos!

As for impressions, of all the dual suspension bikes, I have ever ridden this would be the best, the most plush, the lightest and most importantly the FASTEST bike Ive ever had the pleasure to ride! It just soaks up the downhills, any tight single track is ironed out to a fast flowing trail that only flys past faster and faster!

Pushing the launch system button on the fork sets the Mojo up as a hill dominating climbing machine, the rear suspension almost throws you up the climbs. Flicking the lockout lever on the rear shock turns the bike into a hardtail, literally it becomes SOLID, there is no movement which makes the bike climb even quicker.

The whole package has amazed me with its agility and speed, as per norm from SRAM the gear equipment shifts incredibly quick and reliably (im an avid sram fan as you may guess).

All up the frame is dead on, congratulations to the Ibis guys, the hardwork paid off the result, THE most fun lightweight 5" dually on the market without a doubt! (Current weight 10.2kg - soon to go down to around 9.4kg)

Without any further ado, I give pictures
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Custom "Carbon fetish" Ibis Mojo SL - http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=555199 - 10.2Kg and dropping

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Nice build Liam. Lets have a spec list. I just posted pictures of mine on the build forum (not SL). I built mine up 6 weeks ago and agree with you that it's the fastest full sus I have ever ridden. Absolutely awesome. My older Whyte 46 is slightly plusher on the downhills but overall the Mojo is incredible.
    Kona Muni-Mula '98
    Whyte 46 '05
    Ibis Mojo '09

KevinK
    Jul 2005
    Very nice build Liam2051!!! I am currently spec'ing my bike out to order. So far, I have a DT Swiss EXC 150 15Ta fork, but, and have everything ready except for my Wheels, and Brakes. Would love to see your spec list.

Thanks, and congrats on an awesome build!

Kevin

mtbr member
    Seeing as a few people have asked Build specs are as follows

Frame: Ibis Mojo SL - DT shock red links
    Fork: DT swiss XRC 130 carbon
    Headset: Cane creek
    Stem: WCS alloy for the time being until fitout is corrected - eventually carbon WCS
    Bars: WCS carbon riser
    Shifters: SRAM XO carbon
    Derailuer: SRAM XO carbon
    F Derailuer: SRAM X9
    Brakeset: Avid Elixer CR carbon
    Cables: Nokon red
    Crankset: Truvativ Noir Carbon
    BB: GXP team
    Cassette: Pg 990
    Chain: 991 hollowpin
    Seatpost: Syncross production carbon - change to WCS
    Saddle: FSA K force lite carbon shell
    Wheelset: Jetblack assault - soon to be changed to custom wheelset with DT swiss carbon rim
    Tires: Maxxis folding crossmarks - soon to be changed to continental race king supersonics

Total weight 10.2 kg, with new wheelset, tires, cassette I should be able to drop a good kilo so ill definitely be under 10kg's
    Last edited by liam2051; 09-19-2009 at 09:56 PM.
    Custom "Carbon fetish" Ibis Mojo SL - http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=555199 - 10.2Kg and dropping

Proud bike-o-holic
    Hello Liam,

Congrats on your bike!. Which size is it and how tall are you?

BTW I can see the carbon pattern in the frame, is that how the black SL comes? I thought the matte black was a no see-thru plastic-like finish.

Regards

mtbr member
    Hi marco,

Thanks for the congrats - its a large Im 6"1

The matt rubberised finish shows the weave, its the same as a clear coat but in matt finish. I prefer it as it isnt so 'showy' like the gloss parts are

thanks
    Liam

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by liam2051
    Seeing as a few people have asked Build specs are as follows

Frame: Ibis Mojo SL - DT shock red links
    Fork: DT swiss XRC 130 carbon
    Headset: Cane creek
    Stem: WCS alloy for the time being until fitout is corrected - eventually carbon WCS
    Bars: WCS carbon riser
    Shifters: SRAM XO carbon
    Derailuer: SRAM XO carbon
    F Derailuer: SRAM X9
    Brakeset: Avid Elixer CR carbon
    Cables: Nokon red

Total weight 10.2 kg, with new wheelset, tires, cassette I should be able to drop a good kilo so ill definitely be under 10kg's
    hey liam,
    what sixe is your rear derailer? long or medium. any benefit either way?
    thanks
    Gav

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by awetdog
    hey liam,
    what sixe is your rear derailer? long or medium. any benefit either way?
    thanks
    Gav
    Medium mate, seeing as Im running her 2x9 (possibly 1x9 soon!) I thought it better for two reasons - 1, tighter chain line to reduce the notorious chain suck, and two it shortens rip-off-ability lol

So far Im yet to have any chain suck on the mojo, the chain is running very tight, only just making it when in big-big but only on the rarest of occasions is it used like that anyway

holding back the darkness
    Quote Originally Posted by liam2051
    I prefer it as it isnt so 'showy' like the gloss parts are
    So you like the subdued frame because it isn't showy, but then the rest of the bike is Blingasaurus Rex?

Beautiful build though. Well done.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by subliminalshiver
    So you like the subdued frame because it isn't showy, but then the rest of the bike is Blingasaurus Rex?

Beautiful build though. Well done.
    Haha sort of contradicts itself dosent it? I really do think though that had the frame been gloss it would have been too in-your-face

Thanks for the compliments She sure rides well

mtbr member
    Beautiful bike Liam, I've got a Mogo on order but went with a clear(black)and blue combo instead of the clear and red. I'm curious, where did you get the crank bolts?
    Sitting on a cornflake, waiting for the van to come

mtbr member
    Thanks mike, the chainring bolts are just from token all colours available too! (plus theyre lighter than the stock noir ones)

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    CRC has the XMC 130 @ $526- seems to be a smokin deal. How are you likin' the fork after a few months of riding??

bike rider
    Way shinnier than my 2009 Mojo SL. Is this the new non rubberized clearcoat SL?
    Keep the Country country.

Members who have read this thread: 0