mtbr member

Kuat Beta Hanging style: Hitch Mount Car Racks

So I hijacked my own thread and changed from askikng about roof mounts to hitch mounts.

I am still looking to save a little cash and hoping I can get away with a hanging style rack rather than the $$$$ and heavy platforms as awesome as they are.

The first reply below is for the Thule Big Mouth not the Kuat Beta
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kuat Beta Hanging style: Hitch Mount Car Racks-kuat-beta.jpg  

Last edited by hani1; 10-29-2010 at 07:54 AM. Reason: New focuss: Hitch mounts

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Yes I use one on my mojo and it works great. I've driven 50 miles with my bike on top of my Honda element with no problems.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I meant 500 miles

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I have this one for my bike http://www.thule.com/en/US/Products/...omestique.aspx and I think is the better way to carry Mojo's frame.
    The last summer I drive for 1.600 KM with my little baby on the roof and had no problem.
    Bye Marco from Italy.

mtbr member
    If I go with a new Mojo SL I'll need to make some changes to my Yakima rack so the fork with the Fox QR15 can be locked in. Anyone have a QR15 with a Yakima rack? Does it work well? Hopefully I don't need to replace too many parts.

mtbr member
    I have a fork mount currently but the switch to the 15mm thru axle is making me rethink my options. Mainly to avoid the PITA of front wheel removal.

I drive about 300 miles a week with my bike on my roof. I make the most out of a 60 mile commute to work by stopping for a ride either before or after work at least twice a week.

I think this morning I convinced myself to got the hitch mount route for the following reasons.
    1. I have an SUV so a stand up roof rack may be a bit high
    2. did not realize that the roof rack with a bike can ding my MPG about 20%

So any recommendations on hitch racks?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    If you have an SUV why not put the bike inside and save money on the rack and your fuel bill? I can fit my Mojo in the back of my Ford Fiesta without taking the wheels off. I do have to fully compress the Manitou IT fork and I can't fit a passenger in. But who needs anyone else when you have a mojo .

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I'm happy with the way my Yakima hitch rack holds the bike on, and it is much easier to get on and off than on a roof rack. The wheel mount (rather than fork mount) system works very well over frequent summer use and a couple long road trips. Seems trivial, but I appreciate not having to take the wheel off and lift it up top when I'm beat after a long ride (or itching to get started on one for that matter!)

However, with hitch racks, be sure to do your homework. They can block the door opening on some models, as I found out the hard way, and the company themselves are unlikely to know that fact.

mtbr member
    mikemikemike: which Yakima hitch rack do you have?

d3toid: Not a bad idea I am usually alone on rides during the week but Sat and Sunday I am the designated driver for our group.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Will the Mojo fit the Kuat beta? Basically those two arms need to be just the right amount apart to fit the 2 whole Mojo frame holes. And those arms need to be not to high to clear the shock. If that's the case you need an adapter, but an adapter might scratch an adjustable seat post (if you have one). And you're probably need bunjee cords to keep the bike from swinging.

I have had this style of hitch rack (although not as nice as the Kuat) for a while and I'm shopping for a tray style one as they're the easiest to use and work with all sorts of frames and bikes.

Weight vs. $ is a tradeoff you need to make.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    hani1 - I think it's called the holdup. Nice product, if it's compatible for your vehicle.

Members who have read this thread: 0