mtbr member
    Sep 2007

JOPLIN-R SEATPOST for my MOJO - R 31.6mm?

Hi,
    I decided to add a JOPLIN-R (remotr) SEATPOST to my Mojo.
    1. Do I need a 31.6 or a 30.9 mm?
    2. Before buying: anyone tried this thing??

BR,
    Doron.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (123.8 KB, 1424 views)

mtbr member
    The Joplin is nice. I run the GravityDropper Turbo, which does the same thing, but is lighter and I like the functionality a little better. But the GD is uglier and doesn't look nearly as nice on the Mojo.

Either way, you'll love it and if you ride all mountain terrain it will improve your riding like no other upgrade IMO.

I can't remember the size, but check the geometry page on ibiscycles.com. I had to use a shim, but no problems.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by getbusyliving
    The Joplin is nice. I run the GravityDropper Turbo, which does the same thing, but is lighter and I like the functionality a little better. But the GD is uglier and doesn't look nearly as nice on the Mojo.

Either way, you'll love it and if you ride all mountain terrain it will improve your riding like no other upgrade IMO.

I can't remember the size, but check the geometry page on ibiscycles.com. I had to use a shim, but no problems.
    30.9. I run one and love it. Also, try and get the Token brake line guides for a Fork and use it to run the cable for the Joplin as it stops it rubbing your frame.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

30.9? But the ibiscycles website says:

Look at:
    http://www.ibiscycles.com/downloads/...p_Guide_08.pdf

page 3 says (quote): "The seatpost diameter is 31.6 mm."

so??

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    31.6 is what i have

mtbr member
    May 2004

Ditto

Ditto to the 31.6 post size i had the maverick version and they are a great idea but be warned if your a clyd like person im around 230lb they don't seem to last that long so far ive had jams (ie not lowering) or it just would go down all of it's own so to fair i have given up with them after my third one and just put my thomson back. Anyhoo good luck Bat.

MOJO BICHU
    i have the maverick speedball 31.6.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bichu du matu
    i have the maverick speedball 31.6.
    well this is weird, but I definitely have a 30.9mm Joplin. I also used my Thompson Masterpiece from my Nomad which is 30.9mm too. So either Ibis changed their frame just for my bike or they've now switched to 30.9.........

Ibis, what's the story?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by HeezaGeeza
    well this is weird, but I definitely have a 30.9mm Joplin. I also used my Thompson Masterpiece from my Nomad which is 30.9mm too. So either Ibis changed their frame just for my bike or they've now switched to 30.9.........

Ibis, what's the story?
    Well, naturally you can install smaller diameter seat post into the frame but everybody I know are using 31.6mm posts.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Well my 31.6 is pretty darn tight so .7 of a mm is probably ok!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I have the Maverick Remote 31.6 and absolutly love it. Bought in used and after two months the seal went and man do I miss it. I'm ordering a new Joplin.

Straw

The Crow
    31.6 for sure. I have a Joplin R and love it! Initially I thought I would take it off for races, but I used it in a XC race on Saturday and KILLED the other guys on the rocky, technical descents. Was a joke how much faster I wasgoing on the downs.

For general riding and AM action is simply brilliant. Just keep it clean.
    There's a feeling I get
    When I look to the West
    And my spirit is crying for leaving

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I have a Gravity Dropper 31.6 on my Mojo SL

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Thanks everyone. 31.6 it will be!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Agree, and ignore my post. I am running a 30.9mm with no issues and I swear blind that I saw the right post was a 30.9mm on the Ibis site, but I am quite obviously wrong. Still, seems to be running no problems.

Hans - anything I should watch out for as I do have tighten the seat clamp a little bit more than normal but otherwise it feels fine........

mtbr member
    I'm running the 31.6mm post. I just used it for the first time yesterday and to be honest I can't see ever going back. I was able to do some trail features that I'd never have done in the past because my center of gravity was all off (either too high or too far back.) Absolutely wonderful!
    Peace,
    Gyan the Zen Monkey.

aka dan51
    Does anyone make a shim to go from 30.9 to 31.6?
    I'd hate to buy the 31.6 version of a seat post, then later find out I can't use it on a future bike?
    Not many frame makers use 31.6, but a lot are using 30.9 these days.

I wonder if just making your own from a coke can could work since it's such a small difference.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have the Joplin with remote and I love it. I'm 200lb with gear and I haven't had any issues at all.
    -Chris

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisbennet
    I have the Joplin with remote and I love it. I'm 200lb with gear and I haven't had any issues at all.
    -Chris
    Ditto

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Joplin = Speedball for those who might ask .

Post some pics of you Joplin when you get it. I wonder if CrankBros is going to release a lighter and improved Joplin any time soon?
    07 Giant Anthem 2 (Int'l Edition) | omartan.co.cc
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

Reviewer/Tester

Joplin...

While it's not a Mojo, it is a Joplin.

R.
    It is inevitable ...

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Nice . I wonder how will the upcoming Spesh upcoming variable seatpost compare??
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelhot
    Nice . I wonder how will the upcoming Spesh upcoming variable seatpost compare??
    It it's anything like their dual crown 150 fork it will die fast.
    Everything else that make is pretty darn nice though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Everything else that make is pretty darn nice though.
    Yea
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

The Crow

Get a Joplin

It's definately worth it. I've cut up a slap-sock to keep it clean and operating.
    There's a feeling I get
    When I look to the West

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Neat job Iwan
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

Rabid Lana fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Iwan
    It's definately worth it. I've cut up a slap-sock to keep it clean and operating.

I love it!

It's like a seat-post super-hero (you know, it's wearing a cape )

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

I have this seat post shim on my dj bike...

Quote Originally Posted by dan51
    I'd hate to buy the 31.6 version of a seat post, then later find out I can't use it on a future bike?

I wonder if just making your own from a coke can could work since it's such a small difference.
    I'm running a bmx diameter seat post and got this shim from Universal. I can't comment on it's use with the joplin/speedball however.

URL

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I ordered a Kind Shock I900R seat post. I received the post today, but I got post in 30,9mm diameter of 31,6mm that I ordered. If I return it will take few weeks.. I cannot return it if I try it. Should I return and wait or will there be a problem using the smaller one?

Last edited by mtok77; 01-05-2009 at 11:12 AM.

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by mtok77
    I ordered a Kind Shock I900R seat post. I received the post today, but I got post in 30,9mm diameter of 31,6mm that I ordered. If I return it will take few weeks.. I cannot return it if I try it. Should I return and wait or will there be a problem using the smaller one?
    I would return it and wait.
    I don't think anyone makes an adapter to fit a 30.9 post into a 31.6 tube. There are lots of adapters for the 25.4 size, but nothing for the 30.9.

If you try it, it will likely be loose and slip down all the time. Then you'll either have to make your own adapter, or buy another seatpost that's the right size.

mtbr member
    I've found a few interesting things about my Joplin (which I love!!) Ridign in some of the wet/muddy conditions lately;

Keep the seatpost lubed
    keep the cable clean and lubed
    don't tigthen down the dust seal too hard (red ring)

I noticed when the cable (just like a derailleur) gets dirty or the shaft gets dirty that the post doesn't operate smoothly or easily. No big deal though, before each ride I put some Tri-Flo on the shaft and pump the seat a few times and drop a bit of lube down the hole where the cable comes out and its good to go!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

31.6 is the right size for Ibis, but I guess you can use an adaptor

31.6 is the right size for Ibis, but I guess you can use an adaptor

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dan51

I have a Maverick Speedball that was originally in 30.9. I was able to order just the tube in size 31.6 from Dirt Labs and swapped the rest of the existing post into the new tube. Tube was $45 + shipping. According to the site the tube will also work for the Joplin. Site only list the 30.9 tube, but send an email and they should have 31.6 size in stock. http://www.dirtlabsstore.com/product...=2&productId=1

mtbr member
    Does it make that much Difference? I ride some rather technical trails and have taught myself not to lower the saddle.?
    And is there any play in the saddle? "side to side movment?" as that will drive me mad....

mtbr member
    if you'r toptube length is short it can make it easy to drop behiind the seat and the dropper won't be as necessary. But if you are at all stretched out on your bike a dropper is SO nice. On my old frame I ddn't really need the dropper although it was nice to have. On my newer bike with a more stretched out frame its almost mandatory as its much harder to get my body behind my seat without hitting the back of it.

Yes the Joplin has play side to side but you never notice it while riding...seriously

mtbr member
    I was very skeptical before I finally jumped on the bandwagon, but I am a complete convert to the concept. It has made a huge difference in my riding through technical downhills. I at first thought I'd use it a couple times each ride, but after a few rides I starting dropping my seat more and more because it is so effortless (make sure you get one with bar-mounted remote). You will get used to the slight play in seat almost immediately.

After a year it is now a natural part of my riding, like using my gears---dropping with nearly every downhill section, even short ones. The added feeling of comfort and control it brings has made me faster and most importantly has made riding more fun.

I know at least 15 guys who have bought one (various brands), and not one has been even slightly disappointed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mtok77

This post will not develop any side to side slop and has been rated highly in the uk mtb magazines. I believe they have released a version with a nicer looking seat rail clamp recently. Also has infinite travel adjust, not predetermined drop steps. Its cheaper and is the one ill be buying

bike rider
    The Joplin should be more problem free than the Speedball. I use the non-remote version for weight savings and less cable clutter. I have no problem raising and lowering the saddle on-the-fly in real moutainbike situations. I could have had the remote version for $25 less!
    The red ano bits are more orange than the Mojo's links
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Yes. My Joplin seatpost is not as red as the Mojo links... but it's fantastic looking and I love how has impoved my ride downhill.

Here you have a pic of my new Mojo SL

Reviewer/Tester
    I think that maybe, you need a longer stem on that Mojo... The saddle is a little too far back in those clamps, imo.

R.
    It is inevitable ...

boba
    Dec 2007

Related Joplin Questions

I have been thinking of adjustable seatposts for some time. The Joplin appeals because.....it is infinitely adjustable, not too heavy and can be bought at my LBS and warrantied in Canada.

However, given the "all mountain" use of our Ibis bikes and some pretty steep downhill sections I have two questions?...a...is three inches enough seat post travel???...and b....in reading the thread above and the mtbr reviews, it sounds like it is prone to failure and problems???.

Any helpful comments appreciated.

bob in Comox, BC.

Reviewer/Tester
    If you are a big tall guy, maybe three inches of drop won't be enough for you, but it depends on how much seat post you have exposed in your frame.
    I've been testing the Speedball and the Joplin for quite a long time now, and have had no problems at all with either one. The only gripe I had was with the saddle rail clamps, which I considered to be slightly under built, but they have not failed and once I tightened them down hard, they have not moved, either.
    Regular maintenance involves cleaning the crud off the sliding post, and squirting a shot of teflon lube on there to keep things sliding easily. The addition of the remote Joplin transforms the steep downhills and techy sections into a much safer and faster proposition, and once you fit it, you will wonder how you ever did without one.
    Being able to easily get your butt right over that rear wheel "on the fly" when negotiating steeps is great, and helps to prevent those terrible endo's we all sometimes suffer from.

Another bonus is being able to position the saddle exactly at the height you want it for different pedalling situations...instantly, without removing your hands from the grips.

In my opinion, anyone who regularly rides AM should have a dropper post fitted...it just makes things so much easier overall.

Rainman.

Quote Originally Posted by bobAustin
    I have been thinking of adjustable seatposts for some time. The Joplin appeals because.....it is infinitely adjustable, not too heavy and can be bought at my LBS and warrantied in Canada.

However, given the "all mountain" use of our Ibis bikes and some pretty steep downhill sections I have two questions?...a...is three inches enough seat post travel???...and b....in reading the thread above and the mtbr reviews, it sounds like it is prone to failure and problems???.

bob in Comox, BC.
    It is inevitable ...

No dabs.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobAustin

bob in Comox, BC.
    I've got the Maverick Speedball and have no problems. Lube the screw for the rails and there's zero problems with that. Keep it clean. I had one problem with it falling down during a ride. I took it all apart, tested the air pressure, filled it up a bit, didn't fix it. Turned out I just needed to run it through 4 or 5 cycles and it corrected itself. I will not go back to a fixed post - it is incredible.

I actually rode with a guy who had the Joplin this week who was complaining about his seat angle moving when he bumped it hard, and he had no idea about the concept of greasing the screw - he didn't even know why that would help. These are the kinds of people I worry about writing reviews. He actually complained about the side-to-side movement on it as well. I definitely feel it when I move the bike around by hand, but when riding it is a complete non-issue.

I don't like the idea of shims for the GD and the AMP, and the Specialized post sounds like it's heavier and could have issues as well (though it's tough to gauge if it's user-related yet). That KS post looks darn good with tons of travel, but it sounds like it's much heavier (not sure, seems there's various weights given). So that leaves the Joplin. Do it.

The Crow
    DH_WP: Joplin perfect for Tokai, Eden, sections of Jonkers and Delvera. It's a blast in Lebanon. It does have some side-to-side play so rather go with a KS.

I have found that 3" is not not enough for me. Partly cause my BB to saddle height is 75cm. I like my saddle to be fairly high (not too high, just 100% where it should be for pedalling). If I drop it to 72/73cm it helps with the 3" drop, but then it's not where I want it for climbing and general riding.

My seatpost "cape" has kept the Joplin smooth and operating right through winter. If you don't look after it, it will give you issues. But all in all it's freaking brilliant. Done some rides this week with a "normal" seatpost and hated it. KS here I come!
    There's a feeling I get
    When I look to the West

DIRT DART
    i can't believe no one has mentioned this one yet.

http://fezzari.com/products/index/Fe...Seatpost/85/42

no side to side movement, infinite adjust, 5 inches of drop, will not extend when lifting by the saddle like the Joplin does, better looking remote and less expensive.

i have had a Joplin and this hands down is the best, note it does take a little breakin but once it is it is magic

only comes in one size......MOJO size 31.6

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by b-40
    i can't believe no one has mentioned this one yet.

http://fezzari.com/products/index/Fe...Seatpost/85/42

no side to side movement, infinite adjust, 5 inches of drop, will not extend when lifting by the saddle like the Joplin does, better looking remote and less expensive.

i have had a Joplin and this hands down is the best, note it does take a little breakin but once it is it is magic

only comes in one size......MOJO size 31.6
    Purely being ignorant but there is something about ths post that just "looks" cheap. Looks like a walmart knock off of the Joplin. I'd have to hear more reviews

DIRT DART
    Quote Originally Posted by Yody
    Purely being ignorant but there is something about ths post that just "looks" cheap. Looks like a walmart knock off of the Joplin. I'd have to hear more reviews

i do admit the clamp could be a little more sexier but it's mostly hidden by your seat and it actually clamps way better than the Joplin.
    i rode a Joplin for close to a year, it was good but i did not like the side to side movement although you do get use to it, but every time you grab your bike by the seat it reminds you its there, second is that when the Joplin is down you can actually raise the seat by grabbing the seat and lifting, now when bombing down the trail and you are use to squeezing the seat with your knees that is very annoying when the seat moves up on you.
    third thing is that Joplin is only 3"drop not quite enough in some situations.
    i have been riding the fazzari(it is the ks i900r renamed) for about 6 months and have not had one issue yet and as far as people think its "cheap" i weigh 240 geared up, and ride everything i can get my wheels on. cheap won't last with those parameters ,i know

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman
    I think that maybe, you need a longer stem on that Mojo... The saddle is a little too far back in those clamps, imo.

R.
    Rainman, you're right. The picture shows the initial setup just after my new bike buildup ( well, only new frame, fork and seatpost) without any saddle position adjustment.

Anyway, in my final fine setup the saddle is still a little bit back. The reason is that I had to decide between an S and M frame sizes (I'm 1,67cm tall). S size is a bit small for me but when I tried the M size, I felt it slightly big... and also found the standover heigh too "risky" if I have to jump out of the saddle.

The solution was: S frame with the saddle a bit back to adjust properly my position against the pedals.

The saddle mounted in the Joplin R seatpost now looks like this:

Members who have read this thread: 0