Issues Climbing tight switchbacks on Ripley- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Issues Climbing tight switchbacks on Ripley

I am knew to the Ripley -love it. Only issue is climbing on tight switchbacks - I seem to lose control and pull the front end off the ground on the tight 180s that don't have much turning radius.

i did not have an issue before ( most recent bike was a full suspension Kona All mountain rig). I am about 6ft 1 with long arms. I went with the XL frame setup with a Pike. My first 29er so maybe that has something to do with it but also wondering if it is setup. I am running an 80 mm stem which I thought seemed real long based on the short stem on my Kona. Surprisingly, no issues descending just going up.

Any suggestions - setup wise?

Perpetual n00b
    Pics needed.

How many spacers under the stem?
    The leg bone's connected to the Cash Bone!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    There is 4 spacers.

Perpetual n00b

Re: Issues Climbing tight switchbacks on Ripley

Quote Originally Posted by Yikesthedog View Post
    There is 4 spacers.
    I'm assuming 4 5mm spacers? Try moving one of the spacers above the stem then ride the switchback again. Move a spacer from below to above the stem until you can clean the switchback. Try that and report back.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    It might just be that you need time to adjust to the ride. I was pretty comfortable on the Ripley (also my first 29er) from the beginning, but there were some minor adjustments - and I mostly notice that now if I ride my old bike again, it just doesn't feel right. I've got a large Ripley with a 140mm Pike, and I can pretty much do any switchback I used to do on my previous bike - a pretty quick-turning Ventana El Saltamontes. So the bike can do it! It might be you need to tweak your setup a bit, but it also just might take some time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    One thing that has happened to me that caused uphill stability issues was that my seat gradually slipped back on the KS LEV over the course of a few rides. I know now to look at it first if I seem to be getting more uphill wandering on the front. I'm running a medium Ripley with a 140mm Fox fork, two or three spacers and the 70mm Ibis stem. The seat and dropper are the same as I had on my SL-R where I had no such problem, but the seat tube angle is a bit more laid back on the Ripley than the SL-R so it may have more pressure.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Thanks guys, I will remove some spacers to start with. What about flipping the stem?

Perpetual n00b
    Quote Originally Posted by Yikesthedog View Post
    Thanks guys, I will remove some spacers to start with. What about flipping the stem?
    Try the spacers first. Flipping the stem will change your reach a lot more than a single spacer. Better to test a little bit at a time.

bike rider
    An XL 29er doesn't fit in tight hiker switchbacks forcing the front wheel up the bank and causing a wheelie? Well I never....
    Ever done a stoppie turn? Now's the time to learn.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    flip the stem upside down and loose as many spacers as you can, everyone runs such high bars on this bike and it completely ruins the handling, I have mine set top with ibis flat bars as low as it'll go without hitting the shifter on the top tube in the event of a crash and the bars turn 180 degrees, get that front end lower and you'll be much happier!

Lev
    You Guys Riding?
    Quote Originally Posted by alias33 View Post
    flip the stem upside down and loose as many spacers as you can, everyone runs such high bars on this bike and it completely ruins the handling, I have mine set top with ibis flat bars as low as it'll go without hitting the shifter on the top tube in the event of a crash and the bars turn 180 degrees, get that front end lower and you'll be much happier!
    Interesting notion. I've been playing with my handlebar set up a bit. I have the Ibis flat bars as well. My stem is 60mm with 7 degree rise (I think). I initially had it upright, then I flipped it about 2 weeks ago. Not a game changer either way. I've noticed my hands getting a little more tired from the downward force on the bars. I think the more upright may have been more comfortable. I only notice it on longer rides with extended downhills. I was in Snowmass last week and started getting some hand pain. Flat stem may be the ticket for me. To each his own. FWIW, I've been trying to find an optimized tech climbing position. The Ripley is known for it's climbing abilities. While I've enjoyed the climbing aspects of the bike, there are still some tough climbs in my area that I have still not cleaned on my Ripley that I did every once in a while on my HD. Obviously YMMV.