Plays with tools

integrated head set?

how many of you are disappointed at this? although it wasn't enough to keep me from buying the bike it is certainly something that i was not in any way excited about. i am curious what the advantages are from a manufacturing ease are? as there are certinly no advantages to running an integrated headset.

chris king or bust

The Crow
    I was too. Would be interesting to hear from Hans or Scott or Tom why they went this route.

Chris King or bust x 2
    There's a feeling I get
    When I look to the West
    And my spirit is crying for leaving

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Iwan
    I was too. Would be interesting to hear from Hans or Scott or Tom why they went this route.

Chris King or bust x 2
    I guess you are both chris king fans. Is this really about the is-headset? I for one do not want to press cups into a carbon head tube. What is it that you want to achieve with a headset that can't be done with a is-headset?
    Last edited by lonestar350r8; 06-08-2008 at 04:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I for one do not want to press cups into a carbon head tube.
    Have you seen the molded carbon races in the sl ?
    http://www.chrisking.com/tech/int_he...explain_4.html

Hey guys, has anyone used this headset before ?
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Headsets.aspx

As far as the headset float on IS etc., I'm not on one side or the other as I have not really felt it yet, or had a problem, but reserve the right to fling a fit if 3 years down the road it ruins my headtube. (I had a headset beat itself to death by the bottom of a 30 minute descent before because of loosness caused by a cracked carbon spacer on the way down. In this case the steel race was pretty much shall we say pitted... ) I'm all for steel races.
    But it did not slow me down buying the sl because of the incredible ibis cust. service and I get a brand new front triangle !
    Last edited by ghawk; 06-09-2008 at 03:29 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ghawk
    Have you seen the molded carbon races in the sl ?
    http://www.chrisking.com/tech/int_he...explain_4.html
    I am glad you posted that. I have not thought about that I guess I just always think it is the fork flexing and never thought about some flex could be associated with the headset.

Founder: Dirty3hirties
    They probably went to an integrated headset because in order to make the HT as strong as they wanted, it had to be as big as it is. The Mojo looks like it would need a 1.5" fork because it's so big. If Ibis found it necessary to make the HT that big in order to acheive the strength they wanted, then a normal head set would not work. Also, they would have to put a metal insert into the HT to allow a normal one to be pressed in....kinda like how they had to put a metal insert into the BB shell and seat tube. That would have added weight and not necessarily make it stronger.

I'm just guessing obviously but I don't know how they would have been able to fit a normal headset into the Mojo with the HT being so wide. The headset would have had to been countersunk into the tube.....that would look weird.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Is there anyone other than cannondale using the OnePointFive "International" standard ?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    CK = over rated

mx

Plays with tools
    there is already a metal insert in the head tube for the integrated HS. and a traditional headset could be accommodated into that head tube. its just that the cups would stand proud of the frame. IMHO it wouldn't look any less awkward than it does now. oh and scott is the only company i can think of that does not have a metal insert in the head tube for the bearings to rest in regardless of what headset is being used.

leave integrated headsets for road bikes.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mx_599
    CK = over rated

mx
    Each to their own.. but how is 8 years of trouble free service through a mixture of rain, muddy, dusty conditions with no maintenance whatsoever equate to "over rated"?

Having said that.. i have no qualms over Ibis' decision to use an integrated headset in the mojo. The standard has been around for a while now and has proven itself to be reliable, easy to install and remove.
    The main problem until now has been the lack of a CK level IS headset on the market. The CC 110 appears to have filled that void (only time will tell).

mtbr member
    The SL has no insert, all carbon.
    milesW

Quote Originally Posted by customfab
    there is already a metal insert in the head tube for the integrated HS. and a traditional headset could be accommodated into that head tube. its just that the cups would stand proud of the frame. IMHO it wouldn't look any less awkward than it does now. oh and scott is the only company i can think of that does not have a metal insert in the head tube for the bearings to rest in regardless of what headset is being used.

leave integrated headsets for road bikes.
    Do you have a Mojo? Did you look inside the HT? I did....no metal insert. All I saw is carbon.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    there is already a metal insert in the head tube for the integrated HS. and a traditional headset could be accommodated into that head tube
    That is the race if it's a Moj classic and no such thing in Moj SL cause it's molded carbon race.
    I will say it would be neat to see an IS headset that on the lower portion of the upper bearing has a hard rubber lining of some sort. It would only work with a Moj SL because a steel race would eat it, but it would protect the carbon race maybe.
    I'll get right on that

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by ddraewwg
    Do you have a Mojo? Did you look inside the HT? I did....no metal insert. All I saw is carbon.

did you read my first post? 'wasn't enough to keep me from buying it'

apparently the SL does not have an aluminum head set 'cup'

Quote Originally Posted by customfab
    did you read my first post? 'wasn't enough to keep me from buying it'

apparently the SL does not have an aluminum head set 'cup'
    I have a "normal" Mojo and I looked inside the HT....no sleeve. To install a normal headset, it would have to have a sleeve like the seattube.

Members who have read this thread: 0