mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Ibis wtf kit marta sl's

Anyone that has these brakes, can you adjust the reach on the levers. I have looked at them but cant see how this is done.

flow where ever you go
    Quote Originally Posted by KenDobson
    Anyone that has these brakes, can you adjust the reach on the levers. I have looked at them but cant see how this is done.
    Unless it is an 09' brake which I haven't seen, look from in front of the bike. Just inside from the brake hose towards the brake assembly (where it clamps the brake lever) is the allen screw (hard to describe). It is better at adjusting engagement than reach, but I think that is what you are looking for.

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

The MTB Lab
    I very much doubt you have the new 09, very few in the country as yet.

Here is a pic of the new Marta SL, with the new outboard adjuster and bleed port. The second pic is the pre 09 with an arrow pointing to the adjuster barrel.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    mine looks like the pic with the arrow, i tried to move that and it just seems to get loose, and am afraid it will vibrate out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I think the pre 09 is the same as 08 models. The picture on the left look totally different (compact). Is it the same model as the Marta SL with magnesium/carbon levers?
    07 Giant Anthem 2 (Int'l Edition) | omartan.co.cc
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

No dabs.
    Quote Originally Posted by KenDobson
    mine looks like the pic with the arrow, i tried to move that and it just seems to get loose, and am afraid it will vibrate out.
    I've got the Marta SLs, and yes, you need to be very careful with these screws. I've lost two already during the two months I've had them. I ended up putting some Loctite on the ones in there now just this week, hoping they don't fall out on a big ride. This is a very poor design. Once the screw is out, the lever will work for a while, but will feel odd and loose. Then, the bushing will fall out, and there will be no function whatsoever. You've got to order an entire bushing replacement kit when this happens.

The adjustment doesn't bring the lever in far enough at all for my liking. So, I adjust it to bring the lever in as much as it can, then the screw is right at the limit. It's got a long smooth wide end on it that's supposed to keep it in, but as you're seeing, it gets loose pretty easily.

A friend of mine with these brakes also lost a screw - unfortunately during a big bike trip - so I know I'm not the only one with this problem.

The MTB Lab
    Hmmm...been riding those brakes for 2 years and never had them get loose. I even have a new bike with them for around 2 months and not a problem with the adjuster. They only get loose when you extend the reach? When compressing in the reach it gets tight. I have adjusted them out and in and yes it is a poor design, hence why that went to the newer design. I will have a pair of the Marta SL Mag for a test shortly. Yes my previous picture on the left was the 09 Marta SL, here is what the Marta SL Mag's look like.
    Attached Images Attached Images

No dabs.
    Quote Originally Posted by pastajet
    Hmmm...been riding those brakes for 2 years and never had them get loose. I even have a new bike with them for around 2 months and not a problem with the adjuster. They only get loose when you extend the reach? When compressing in the reach it gets tight. I have adjusted them out and in and yes it is a poor design, hence why that went to the newer design. I will have a pair of the Marta SL Mag for a test shortly. Yes my previous picture on the left was the 09 Marta SL, here is what the Marta SL Mag's look like.
    Sorry, I wasn't quite clear. They will only fall out if you have the lever adjusted all the way IN. If you tighten the adjustment bolt in, the lever moves further from the bar. If you loosen the bolt out, the lever moves closer to the bar. KenDobson, you should be able to clearly see the lever moving when you are tightening or loosening this bolt.

I like my levers close to the bar, and have had an easy time getting Avids, Hopes, etc. just right. But for these Marta 08 levers, I need to loosen the bolt outward to the end of its adjustment range for it to feel comfortable. Even then, I'd like the lever to be at least another 1/8 inch closer to the bar. Because of this, the bolt is near the end of it's threaded grip, and any rough stuff can rattle it out. I spoke with someone at Magura after the first time this happened, and he told me that when you screw out the bolt, you should feel some resistance near the end that is designed to keep the bolt in. I do feel that resistance, and generally screw it back in a half turn or so just so I'm not on the edge. But apparently, that resistance is not enough to keep the bolt in. And considering the bolt is angled just right to pop out into the dirt without you noticing...it's just a terrible design. And I should be clear, it's not the bolt getting loose that's a problem - it's the falling completely out!

Pastajet, perhaps you're fine with it in the center range of adjustability, so maybe the bolt is set nice and tight with plenty of threading around it to keep it from falling out?

That magnesium brake looks incredible. I'd be curious if you could do a comparison on the adjustment range for the 08s versus the new design. For me, that's the big problem with this brake, and if they've solved it, I may be interested in looking at the new one.

The MTB Lab
    I will get back to everyone on the new 09 design in regards to the adjustment. I happen to like a long reach on my levers. I also like to feather and ride the brake a lot so if I get them to close they cause me problems.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I see, hmm pastajet, if you don't mind me asking, why is there a 09 Spesh Epic in that picture? and the Shimano race number tells me this picture is taken from a race.
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

The MTB Lab
    Christoph Sauser bike...

Founder: Dirty3hirties
    It's about time Magura redesigned the Marta's. They were great a great design 5 years ago

A bleed port was a no brainer......bleeding mag's, especially the Marta's was a B!TCH. They worked great once they were set though and the lever action/feel was top notch. But if you ever had to bleed them, it was tough to set them up correctly again.

Looks like they still retained the same bar clamp design. IMO, a 2 piece unit would be much better and the weight gain should be minimal.

The MTB Lab
    Yes. I wish they went to a two piece, I hate having to take off my grips to do something...

The new Marta's are supposed to be using the larger Louise pad size.

I will update when I have them in my greedy hands.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I wonder how will the new Marta compare to Puros?
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

pooter
    Aug 2008
    Hey Guys;

Just bought and assembled an Ibis and went to adjust my Marta SL a little closer to the bar. Looks like they still have the same problem.

However, my issue is that I stripped the screw nearly instantly...so much for the reach adjust feature. Any ideas on a resolution?

P

Edit:

After posting this, I sent a note to Magura. Hats off to them for quick CS as they got back to me within 12 hours & are sending me a replacement...

Many thanks...
    Last edited by p_mac; 03-16-2009 at 01:37 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0