mtbr member
    Oct 2008

ibis tranny travel case

so, one of the advantages of the ibis tranny (and advertised features) is that it makes a great travel bike- just wondering, anyone travelled with one of these yet? if so what bag/case did you use? and how small a case do you guys think could be made to work?
    also Hans (or whoever) any plans to build a specific tranny case?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    sorry to revive such an old thread, but im also wondering this!

any tips? anyone used a specific case? how much disassembly is required?
    Intense Carbine C
    Intense Spider 29 C
    Ventana El Comandante
    Borealis Yampa
    9:Zero:7 Al
    Soma Wolverine
    Surly LHT

The MTB Lab
    I have used the S and S hardcase for my Mojo http://www.gramslightbikes.com/2009/...with-bike.html

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    wow! that is quite a breakdown. as impressive as that is, i think id rather pay the big fee for an oversized bike than spend that much time breaking and building (im not nearly as tool savvy as you appear to be)

i was thinking more along the lines of a bike case that more or less lets me just take off the wheels?

suggestions?
    Intense Carbine C
    Intense Spider 29 C
    Ventana El Comandante
    Borealis Yampa
    Soma Wolverine
    Surly LHT

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    thinking about one of these:

http://www.tricosports.com/iron_case.html

just wondering if i can fit the bike without wheels....
    Intense Carbine C
    Intense Spider 29 C
    Ventana El Comandante
    Borealis Yampa
    Soma Wolverine
    Surly LHT

mtbr member
    One of the benefits of using the S and S case or, like the one I have, the Ritchey soft sided case with the mojo or Tranny is you can check the bag like regular luggage without being charged to oversized bag fee. That trico works great for any bike but you will be charged the oversize fee. Or you can ship it Fedex or something.

You do have to break it down a little more but you save 50 bucks each way...

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    i hear what youre saying, im just scared as hell of shipping a carbon fibre bike in a softsided case. ive had issues with softside luggage in general, i cant imagine shipping a bike on an airline that way. id be sweating bullets for the whole flight - both ways!
    Intense Carbine C
    Intense Spider 29 C
    Ventana El Comandante
    Borealis Yampa
    Soma Wolverine
    Surly LHT

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    The S & S is a super durable case, probably the best if you're going to use it a lot. Ritchey makes a Cordura case that's also good but not quite as bomb proof as the S & S.
    The Tranny is a lot easier to pack than the Mojo, as you can probably guess from pastajet's post (nice job, Brian!).
    No plans to build a case.
    The smallest (10") of the S&S cases is all you need for the Tranny.
    Mother load of info here: http://www.sandsmachine.com/ac_hard.htm
    Scot

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lifeis11
    i hear what youre saying, im just scared as hell of shipping a carbon fibre bike in a softsided case. ive had issues with softside luggage in general, i cant imagine shipping a bike on an airline that way. id be sweating bullets for the whole flight - both ways!
    I've shipped my Mojo twice now. VT to Moab in 09 and VT to Tucson last Nov. It survived the two trips just fine. I did get a little chip in the paint once because I didn't protect the frame like I should have, coming home from Moab. Six days of hard riding, I wasn't paying enough attention when I packed it up for the flight home.

I was sweating a little at first.. My travel buddy has the Trico case for his Niner. He has to ship it before hand and like I said pay a little more. You do have the extra bag to carry into the airport.

mtbr member
    My Tranny went in a regular suitcase. Just look for a second hand samsonite case that will take your wheels. I bubble wrapped the carbon bits, stuck pieces of wood between the dropouts and packed all the smaller bits in my clothes. No problems at all. Really like the Tranny as a travel bike.

Captain Trail Head
    thinking about one of these:

http://www.tricosports.com/iron_case.html

just wondering if i can fit the bike without wheels....
    Hey there, I have no idea if you happen to live around here, but we rent that Trico case out to folks who don't want to store it someplace. You could try it out and see if it works for ya before buying and then apply the rental to the purchase should you decide it is the one.

Oh, you can fit it all in there. In fact, I don't even think the rear wheel needs to be removed! Pedals, bar/stem, swivel the fork backwards, tuck in the front wheel and any other bits. Bonn voyage!

Cheers!

Lars
    Trail Head Cyclery
    San Jose

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks for the heads up!

How much do they rent for?
    Intense Carbine C
    Intense Spider 29 C
    Ventana El Comandante
    Borealis Yampa
    Soma Wolverine
    Surly LHT

Captain Trail Head
    Thanks for the heads up!

How much do they rent for?

No worries mate.

4 Days = $50
    Additional Days = $5 each

So 10 days would be $80 and so on. Last I checked, they sell for about $350, which is a lot of rentals worth!

Cheers!
    Lars

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    s and s do a hard case I think- in fact wasn't there a guy who did a review on it here http://reviews.mtbr.com/blog/s-and-s...ell-bike-case/
    he managed to fit the mojo, so you should be fine with the tranny!
    your only problem may be weight- although with some strategic packing it could work!
    I used one of the soft cases to fly between australia and canada with my mojo last year, not a problem- and that my friends is a long flight!
    managed to get the whole thing under weight, so just checked it as "bike parts" and didn't pay a cent

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Can you fit an XL Mojo HD into the S&S 26x26x10 container? Anyone try fitting an XL Mojo of any kind into that container?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by das recht View Post
    Can you fit an XL Mojo HD into the S&S 26x26x10 container? Anyone try fitting an XL Mojo of any kind into that container?
    That's my concern as well, which is why I was thinking the soft case might work better for XL mojos (stretch some, and the cassette holder sticks out). The review on the soft case I read was for L mojo.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Samsonite large enough to fit a wheelset?

Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
    My Tranny went in a regular suitcase. Just look for a second hand samsonite case that will take your wheels. I bubble wrapped the carbon bits, stuck pieces of wood between the dropouts and packed all the smaller bits in my clothes. No problems at all. Really like the Tranny as a travel bike.
    I'd be interested to know where you found a Samsonite large enough to fit a wheelset. Is there a particular model or type I should be looking for?

Members who have read this thread: 1