Ibis Traction Tune for aggresive riding (enduro racing)?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Ibis Traction Tune for aggresive riding (enduro racing)?

Hi

Recently I saw the Ibis Ripmo V2 and the geo is perfect for me
    But I race and ride a lot on harsh terrain and i have a very aggresive riding

So... How performs the Traction Tune for a aggresive rider? Do I need a revalve/shim?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by javigutz View Post
    Hi

Recently I saw the Ibis Ripmo V2 and the geo is perfect for me
    But I race and ride a lot on harsh terrain and i have a very aggresive riding

So... How performs the Traction Tune for a aggresive rider? Do I need a revalve/shim?

Thanks!
    What are you on now and where are you racing/riding?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Pretty sure the whole traction tune is just marketing. They've always had low compression and rebound tunes which is what traction tune is (for the rear shock). Question is will 147mm of travel be the limiting factor for you? Or are you more of a 160-170mm travel user like the firebird?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by eshew View Post
    Pretty sure the whole traction tune is just marketing. They've always had low compression and rebound tunes which is what traction tune is (for the rear shock).
    I had a HD with Low/Low tune and I was maxed out on the rebound. My Ripley LS is Low Comp/Med Reb and I'm within 4 clicks of max on rebound.

They've gone further and custom tuned a lighter HSC and Rebound on the fork too. For myself, I run my, non traction tune, Fox 36 with only a 5 clicks out.

From what I've gathered the idea is to open up the circuits to speed the wheel up for the average rider. So if you're more aggressive and heavier, there maybe not enough range to close the circuits enough.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    How is slow rebound a desirable trait for aggressive riders? AFAIK pros run super fast rebound with more spring rate and/or compression damping, which would feel harsh to us mortals but hold up better when nuking world cup trails.

I think the traction tune is a much better range of adjustment. Get the bike then see if it works for you before making expensive changes that can always be done later anyways. You might find that more psi and lower damping works too, just a different feeling.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    It might be worth checking out JKW and Pinkbike's reviews of the HD5. I believe they both felt the traction tune baseline settings left the bike feeling too loose and uncontrolled and they ended up slowing it down to more "traditional" settings. They said the tuning range was there so it wasn't a problem getting it where they wanted. I have my DVO almost fully open so the factory tune doesn't seem overly light even though it's supposed to be "traction tune" as well.
    2020 Ripmo AF

Dude...
    If you don't like it, I'll trade you my X2 from my V1 and I'll take your traction tuned shock.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'll definitely chime in if i get a chance to demo Traction Tune. I'm 200pounds and ride fairly fast and aggressive trails. Canada, so the demos don't come through very often.