Thread: Ibis Ti Mojo

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Ibis Ti Mojo

I have a hand job mojo that's been gathering dust in my garage for years. I'm kind of on the fence about selling it or keeping it and getting back into riding. The frame is in good shape with no dents or gouges and I was wondering what a fair asking price would be? It's a size Medium.. circa 1996. Thanks for your help

www.derbyrims.com
    $100,000 at least

Ride it!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

I have no soul

Sold it for $1200

It's off to Canada for a better quality of life.

If you love her you have to let her go

T.W.O.
    Man that's 90k loss guess I won't be selling my ti mojo.

mtbr member

You can still get back into riding...

put that money toward a new Mojo SL or HD, and you'll be blown away by how far things have come.

They'll have to pry my ti mojo from my cold dead fingers

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

How can you mend a broken heart?

Honestly, I'm not worthy. That's pretty much why I sold it.

I should buy a Members OnlyŽ jacket and an urn for my testicles at this point. Probably save the rest for a Hoveround scooter in case Medicare won't cover it. Probably save the rest for a Hoveround scooter in case Medicare won't cover it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    wish I'd seen this earlier... would've bought it off you, no probs, been on the lookout for a Ti Mojo for ages!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Hola Gents,

I recently acquired a circa '97 Ti Mojo (sans hand job) and have been pondering how best to build it.

Of course this is something of a retro machine, but deserves the finest componentry, from ANY era, in my opinion.

One way to honor the period, I thought, would be to use Paul Thumbie(s).

I also have a nifty Syncros Revolution hanging around that made me ponder building a 1x10.

Another route would be to scrap the retro theme altogether and have some disc tabs welded on (yes, I would do this to my jewel) and go full modern--think XTR 985.

Would love some opinions about how to make this puppy the best it can be. Oh, and I just scored a matching Ti stem & bar combo......!!

Cheers and happy turkey,

Kurt

mtbr member
    I've had the exact same frame, size L, since new. Sports a mix of old and new parts....original syncros seat post, king headset, rear hub and v-brake. It originally had the 1st gen Sid and xtr950, then a 80mm marz bomber, and now a 100mm Fox 32 rlc and a 650b front wheel. The XTR mostly wore out so I put a nice old forged sugino crank I had w/ a single 32t and Paul's chain keeper, 160mm hyd disk front, and 9sp xt 770 everywhere else. I'm loving the 1x9, and I'd say hell yeah to a 1x10 w/ those syncros cranks... you GOTTA do that.
    I've also modernized in the stem and bar dept, w/ much shorter (90mm) stem and 26" wide riser bars.... MUCH better in technical terrain.
    The 650b front wheel is a big improvement, but not period correct, and the 100rlc is good, but could be great with a rebuild and increased air volume for more linear rate and full travel.. my plan is to make that mod, and space it back down to 90 or even 80 mm. I figure that I'll get as much or more actual travel and bring the geo at least a little closer to the original intent. Those things were designed around a 63mm fork as I recall, but 80 was better.
    I've debated the disk tab vs keep it original thing too... actually went to see Wes (who's likely the guy that built your new honey) at his shop in austin and he pretty much talked me out of it....also straightened my bent der hanger for $10 bucks and let me ride the chopper from hell around 78704 for a little while
    So I'm still using v brakes out back really needing to build a new rear wheel....Stan's 355 and Arch can take rim brakes, so thinking about those, but the brake track seems pretty narrow. Tubeless is a modern improvement that you shouldn't deny yourself IMO.
    If I were starting from scratch I'd do:
    1x10 w/ XTR 980 shifter, derailleur
    F32 rlc at 90mm qr15
    650b front 26 rear with Stan's rims.... Flows for bombing, or 355's for a racy setup, you decide
    nice 0 rise 90mm stem of choice (thomson probably)...something stiffer than the ibis ti stem (sorry...), and modern low rise carbon bar in the 640 - 685 mm range.

Congrats! Fun bike! It's so swift and reliable and can really float up the trail sometimes... other times it's a 26" hardtail w a v brake and I wish I was on my fs bike

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I like the input, Mr Bacon. I'll have to measure the BCD on the Syncros Rev, but what are good options for a 10 spd (narrow) chainring with a 5 bolt pattern? Is the narrow chainring critical? (I just posted this question about compatibility on the Shimano thread.)

The 650b front is a compelling idea. Do you feel your steer tube angle (with 650b/ 100mm fork) will come into line once you the lower fork? My inclination is to stick with a 26" front and enjoy longer travel, but interesting debate. -I also have a thing for Crossmaxes (26" only, no 650b).....so we'll see.

And I respect your opinion about a more rigid stem, but this Ibis Ti stem & bar SO need to be mated with this frame. It's basically a divinely arranged marriage! If it feels too loose after some riding I'll contemplate an anullment and go for Ms Thomson.

Thx again for your ideas.

mtbr member
    You should have plentiful chainring options. Inside width on a 10sp chain is the same as 9 speed, so any 9sp chainring you like w/ the right bolt pattern will do ya. That also means you can run 2x or 3x 9 speed chainrings and FD w rear 10 sp stuff and 10sp chain and it works fine.*

Yeah 650 + 100mm fork is fun but a little tall...bb height is pushing it, which is why I'm thinking of spacing it down to 90. I like that head angle however. *I would DEFINITELY do a 100mm fork w a 26"front wheel... You can always space it down later in 10mm increments if you want. I went in the all mountain direction with mine kinda by necessity thanks to the steap jaggedy local terrain. *CMax's are nice, and appropriately racy for this bike, but if you ride a lot of rough trails I'll bet you'd prefer 650 if you tried it.*
    I feel you on the bar and stem....they're super sexy. From a practical standpoint I think shorter wider stiffer works better, but you don't buy a bike like this today because you want the most confident AM rig.*
    Congrats. It's sure to be something special. Post more build details and pics when it's done!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tensim View Post
    wish I'd seen this earlier... would've bought it off you, no probs, been on the lookout for a Ti Mojo for ages!
    I have a reproduction for sale!

mtbr member
    If it helps I have a '98 steel mojo that I restored and put back into rotation. I had Sycip grind off the brake studs and weld on disc tabs. I then had it powder coated and built it up as follows:
    STX rear shifter
    XT RD-M771 short cage rear derailleur
    XT FC-M770 cranks w/Blackspire 32t SS chainring
    XT 11-36 10spd cassette
    Paul chain keeper
    Chris King headset
    Fox F32 RL80 fork
    Thomson 90mm stem and seatpost
    Avid BB7 discs
    Salsa Promoto Carbon lowrise bar
    Chris King and Mavic x3.1 tubless wheels
    Maxxis Larsen TT Exception Series 2.0 in the rear
    Kenda Slant Six 2.1 in the front

1x9 is the way to go, no question. Also, I love this tire combination. The Larsen TT is a little narrower than ideal but it is the largest size they offer (the 2.35 is reinforced for DH, super heavy and only comes in a very soft compound). It hooks up everywhere, is super fast and simply blows away the Kenda small block 8. I tried a 100mm fork but prefer the way it handles with 80mm.
    As set up the bike is incredibly fun to ride. It's a great second bike.
    Hope this helps
    Mr_Mojorisen

mtbr member
    Nice setup. I'd love to get my hands on a 94 or 95 steel mojo. I'd also like to change mine from 1x9 to 1x10 one of these days....that 36 is nice.... of course, my single speed buddies will see this and call me a big pnssy... whatever...
    Yeah, those Larsen tires are good. I rode one on a buddy's bike and was blown away by how good it was.... they don't look like they could hook up as well as they do.

Members who have read this thread: 2