mtbr member

Ibis support - Cudos

I want to thank Ibis for their stellar support. Recently I got the urge to convert my tranny into a belt drive system. Craking open a new frame wasnít something I wanted to do right away. Gates wasnít sure the gears will fit without rubbing against the frame and still questions about the gear ratio.

Ive contacted Ibis and everyone there was extermly helpful. They've sent me a rear triangle for free with a hole in it which just happens to be exactly where I need to cut the frame and make my fabrication.

Cudos to Ibis for their already known great support and service. I wish I could be affiliated with them but unfortunately i am just another rider with a wish for belt tranny.

If anyone wants to bounds some more ideas, let me know.

Steve

meh
    interesting, pics?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    How do you plan on closing up the slit in the frame?

meh
    jb weld and a top weave of duct tape prob

mtbr member

tranny belt

It would be quite difficult to make the insertion mecanism on one of the bottom horizontal tubes. This leaves the back once as the only option. I plan on breaking the frame about 4 inches below the U joint frame where the bolt connects the rear triangle to the main frame. (I am still looking at a single break alternatives rather then both. Single post just complicates things in carbon fabrication)

Fabrication would be quite simple this way: all I need is a two way screw with the receptical long nuts fiberglased to the frame. By screwing the bold, i will be bringing both sides together.

I also looked at splitting the frame right in the center of the bolt. But the frame is so stiff and hollow that I would probably weeken the frame when time comes to change the belt.

Also Iíve been looking at ways to tension the belt. It has to be very tight inspite of what gates says. I am planing to use a spring tension at the joint of the rear triangle with the bb. At the moment the tensioning is my greatest concern.

I haven't started the fabrication but as soon as I do, i will post pics.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ssphoenix
    It would be quite difficult to make the insertion mecanism on one of the bottom horizontal tubes. This leaves the back once as the only option. I plan on breaking the frame about 4 inches below the U joint frame where the bolt connects the rear triangle to the main frame. (I am still looking at a single break alternatives rather then both. Single post just complicates things in carbon fabrication)

Fabrication would be quite simple this way: all I need is a two way screw with the receptical long nuts fiberglased to the frame. By screwing the bold, i will be bringing both sides together.

I also looked at splitting the frame right in the center of the bolt. But the frame is so stiff and hollow that I would probably weeken the frame when time comes to change the belt.

Also Iíve been looking at ways to tension the belt. It has to be very tight inspite of what gates says. I am planing to use a spring tension at the joint of the rear triangle with the bb. At the moment the tensioning is my greatest concern.

I haven't started the fabrication but as soon as I do, i will post pics.

I gotta say, I'm curious to see what you come up with, judging from the terminology you are using (or lack thereof) it sounds like this is going to be a total cluster-fukk.

mtbr member
    My.... my.. aren't you a ray of sunshine. Nothing to do with one another but thanks for your word of confidence.

Church of the Wheel
    Yes, please do post pics as your project comes along.

Back when Ibis was finalizing the Tranny design, Hans posted hereabouts and asked for input on how popular a belt-capable rear triangle might be. Obviously they didn't get enough interest, so they didn't go that way, alas. I'm still hopeful that if enough people express some interest, maybe they'll offer a belt-friendly replacement rear triangle. That's one of the many beauties of the separate rear-triangle design - you can switch it out!

Kudos to you for undertaking the experiment. Keep us updated.
    "I thought you'd never love me without my Mojo." -Austin Powers

Members who have read this thread: 0