Ibis SL-R rear triangle large wanted- Mtbr.com
    Unpredictable

Ibis SL-R rear triangle large wanted

Hi Ibians

Well the sad day has come. My SL-R has a structural crack in the rear triangle. It has been loyal to me since I bought it and built it tough for more than XC in 2014 after buying the frame for a couple of years prior. Many, many rock hits around the BB have removed all the paint, but not damaged the structure. This crack has developed on the drive side, shock mount end and is obviously due to forces, not impacts. Ibis have no replacement parts. I can't seem to find anything on E-Bay, or our local Australian equivalent.

Can anyone help me out. It's orange, but I'm not fashion conscious. Here's a pic before the rear hub, wheels and rubber got even more sturdy.Ibis SL-R rear triangle large wanted-p1140217.jpg Thanks for any help.

boardguru
    Oct 2009
    Saw one on ebay a couple of weeks ago.

Unpredictable
    Quote Originally Posted by boardguru View Post
    Saw one on ebay a couple of weeks ago.
    I'll keep looking

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Another option is you can fit a Mojo HD rear triangle from the same model year but I believe you need the HD links to fit it.

https://forums.mtbr.com/ibis/hd-swin...re-891101.html

Just keeps your search options a bit more open whilst hunting. Any pics of the cracks? Still running an SLR myself and think I will be for some time given frame/bike prices in Aus currently.

Unpredictable
    Quote Originally Posted by shiny View Post
    Another option is you can fit a Mojo HD rear triangle from the same model year but I believe you need the HD links to fit it.

https://forums.mtbr.com/ibis/hd-swin...re-891101.html

Just keeps your search options a bit more open whilst hunting. Any pics of the cracks? Still running an SLR myself and think I will be for some time given frame/bike prices in Aus currently.
    I haven't taken any pics. It's indistinct to view, but you can fee the fraying of split fibres. The consensus between myself and my riding mate is it's a matter of time before I get a penetrating leg injury. I'll see if I can get a pic today and thanks for the tip re the HD triangle.

Unpredictable

Some pics

Ibis SL-R rear triangle large wanted-20200413_160918.jpg

Ibis SL-R rear triangle large wanted-20200413_160906.jpg

Ibis SL-R rear triangle large wanted-20200413_160806.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Oof, that does look bad. I guess another option is seeing a carbon repair shop but could be quite costly.

Clyde

Fix it yourself on the cheap

Quote Originally Posted by shiny View Post
    Oof, that does look bad. I guess another option is seeing a carbon repair shop but could be quite costly.
    I caved in a portion of my rear triangle on a rock. I spent less than $20 on a carbon repair kit. sanded it down on the carbon. filled the hole with a wad of carbon soaked in epoxy, sanded it, filled the small remaining holes then built up 4 raps of epoxy soaked carbon sheets. It was overbuilt a bit not even that noticable.

It will take good care of you while you search for a replacement if you are still inclined. I will try to post up some pictures if I can track them down.
    09 Ibis Mojo - All Mountain Moab Edition

Unpredictable
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckySomer View Post
    I caved in a portion of my rear triangle on a rock. I spent less than $20 on a carbon repair kit. sanded it down on the carbon. filled the hole with a wad of carbon soaked in epoxy, sanded it, filled the small remaining holes then built up 4 raps of epoxy soaked carbon sheets. It was overbuilt a bit not even that noticable.

It will take good care of you while you search for a replacement if you are still inclined. I will try to post up some pictures if I can track them down.
    Thanks. It's something I am considering, but with the location of the crack on the bend next to the linkage mount, I am nervous a repair will not cope with the forces that caused the damage.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    I recently noticed play in the lower link on my SL-R and found that the insert had debonded from the rear triangle. I took my bike to Broken Carbon in Boulder, CO and was back on the trail in about a week.

I know my issue was different from yours, but they may be able to help you and I was very pleased with the professionalism of their service.

If you check their website - https://www.brokencarbon.com/ - you can send them the pics of your frame and probably get an estimate for a repair.

Good luck!!

Unpredictable
    Quote Originally Posted by dllawson819 View Post
    I recently noticed play in the lower link on my SL-R and found that the insert had debonded from the rear triangle. I took my bike to Broken Carbon in Boulder, CO and was back on the trail in about a week.

I know my issue was different from yours, but they may be able to help you and I was very pleased with the professionalism of their service.

If you check their website - https://www.brokencarbon.com/ - you can send them the pics of your frame and probably get an estimate for a repair.

Good luck!!
    Thanks. I'm in Australia. Currently we are limited in where we go and do thanks to the virus. I am going to investigate a carbon repair when I can, but in the shorter term I am using the bike for exercise on paths and grass along the beach while I wait for my new bike to arrive. Time to upgrade. I ordered a Ripmo AF.

mtbr member

Ibis SL-R rear triangle large wanted

Check to see if there are any carbon bike frame repairers anywhere near you, I know several folks that have had there frames repaired, end up being stronger in the repair location once done.

https://calfeedesign.com/carbon-repair/

Hard to say goodbye to and old friend but you will be amazed at how much better a new Ibis will ride, they just get better and better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk