Ibis Ripmo V2 Thread- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

Ibis Ripmo V2 Thread

Available in Star Destroyer Grey and Bug Zapper Blue, the new Ripmo V2 has a one degree slacker head angle, improved lower link protection, updated dropper post cable routing, more progressive and coil compatible, and it's a smidge stiffer.

Ibis Ripmo V2 Thread-o9-tsndg.jpg

Ibis Ripmo V2 Thread-isorwqmg.jpg

Ibis Ripmo V2 Thread-tvytsakg.jpg

Ibis Ripmo V2 Thread-bga_fhlq.jpg

mtbr member
    Ibis Ripmo V2 Thread-84406212_2948571568508440_4799952972089917440_o.jpg

Ibis Ripmo V2 Thread-84558903_2948571558508441_6274010461318938624_n.jpg

mtbr member

First ride review now live

Our first impressions of the updated Ripmo are here.

Pros: Better high-speed handling, some improved frame features.
    Cons: Gives up a bit in slow-speed technical maneuvers.
    Worth the money?: Maybe if you own the older version but want to run a coil. Probably not if you already own a Ripmo AF.
    It's still a great option for riders looking to purchase an all-arounder.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ibis Ripmo V2 Thread-ripmo-v2_outdoor_hero-11.jpg  

News and reviews from Mtbr.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    OG Ripmo + -1 Works Component or.... decisions, decisions.
    Guess if you're heavier and not already in the Ibis family, the V2 makes sense.
    $2999 msrp vs finding OG on sale.

Good time to be a Ripmo buyer.

mtbr member
    Looks like a great Enduro bike but you can actually run a coil on the old Ripmo (or any Ibis) if you get an EXT Storia .EXT STORIA LOK - ENDURO RACING - Extreme Racing Shox

mtbr member
    Looks like this guy got one first!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGMcMya653c

Ride On!
    All I got to say is NICE!!! It looks to be another great bike, glad to see they stuck with the geometry of the Ripmo AF and did not go to something else. Being an OG owner, it is great to see a company that sticks with what works. Got to admit, I am drooling a bit for the Star Destroyer Grey, really like it!

mtbr member
    The new bike looks great, makes sense they're sticking with a winning formula.

As an OG Ripmo owner, I don't see anything here that gives me new-bike lust. Very minor tweaks, which will be great for new buyers but seem unlikely to inspire OG owners to upgrade.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Anyone see or hear anything yet as to what that actual progression percentage is now? Old one was like 8%. Most of the newest bikes that are really, truly coil compatible are about 25%.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by YamaLink View Post
    OG Ripmo + -1 Works Component or.... decisions, decisions.
    Guess if you're heavier and not already in the Ibis family, the V2 makes sense.
    $2999 msrp vs finding OG on sale.

Good time to be a Ripmo buyer.
    Or be like the youtuber "Loam Ranger" and put WORKS angle set on the new Ripmo 64.9 down to 63.9, HA! That's what Jeff Kendall Weed recommended as well on his Youtube review of the bike. He also recommended 165 crank arms because of all the pedal strikes, low bb...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I think I know what my new bike is going to be. This thing hits all the numbers and from Jeff KW said, it's not losing any of the playfulness the OG Ripmo had. Found a few LBS that will be getting some in stock in 2-3 weeks. The online retailers are not getting any till April.

This bike is going to crush it! I'll miss that cool looking blue the OG bike had but nothing a nice 3M wrap can't take care of and protect the frame to boot. Ibis is going to grow big time from this bike. I have a feeling we'll be seeing much more of Ibis on the trails

Ride On!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev. 14 View Post
    Or be like the youtuber "Loam Ranger" and put WORKS angle set on the new Ripmo 64.9 down to 63.9, HA! That's what Jeff Kendall Weed recommended as well on his Youtube review of the bike. He also recommended 165 crank arms because of all the pedal strikes, low bb...
    Saw the review of JKW.. just kinda take his review as a good "one-off" due to the Trust fork. Just seems that that much of a change to the stock geo whether for better or worse taints the review.

mtbr member
    ... That's what Jeff Kendall Weed recommended as well on his Youtube review of the bike. He also recommended 165 crank arms because of all the pedal strikes, low bb...
    Ok this getting silly. 165 crank arms? Why not get 155 from a kids bike? I know JKW is damn good rider (far better than me down up or anywhere), but do you actually plan on pedaling this bike? I am on 175mm crank arms and have zero desire to go shorter as I need to pedal this bike
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", 19' Vassago Optimus Ti SS 29", '19 Ibis Ripmo, XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    I'm pretty fickle with bikes and my last few bikes haven't lasted more than a year before I wanted a new one. I don't feel compelled to sell my V1 just yet. It'm having too much fun with the V1. It's been a while since I've felt I didn't have to have the latest and newest (maybe not greatest) HAHA

The Enduro Mag article states the Ripmo V1 vs. V2 has subtle differences where it's a solid pros vs cons. You're losing some playfulness etc with the V2 but honestly... i'm probably not that good of a rider to notice... hence... not compelled to want to sell my V1 yet.

Both are amazing bikes!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    Ok this getting silly. 165 crank arms? Why not get 155 from a kids bike? I know JKW is damn good rider (far better than me down up or anywhere), but do you actually plan on pedaling this bike? I am on 175mm crank arms and have zero desire to go shorter as I need to pedal this bike
    I guess I'm silly then. I went from decades on 175 to 165 when I went from a hardtail to a Transition Smuggler, and if it had any effect on my ability to pedal the bike I sure didn't notice it. Still running them on my Ripley, and all my bikes now. Zero regrets, and less thinking about pedal strikes. Several of my riding buddies have made the same change with similar results.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    https://m.pinkbike.com/news/first-ri...carbon-af.html

Pin bike review.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Research suggests that small differences in crank length don't have a lot of affect on pedaling efficiency at different submaximal outputs. They did +/- 5mm, so I don't know if 10mm would be different, but it seems that we all might think crank length matters more than it does.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/...nalCode=rjsp20

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Prices dropping. New large V1 Ripmo frame delivered in US for substantial % off msrp (no tax to my state) from a popular/reputable seller. Don't know color. As with others, he won't get V2 for a few weeks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Mediums in Zapper Blue are sold out til May as of this morning. Some things are worth waiting for.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    But so many people said it'd be ruined if they make it a carbon AF! Lol. Still not into the scallop graphics but the colors are nice and why don't these companies put 2 accessory bosses for a tube on the underside of the top tube? Seeing a tube velcro'd onto an $8,000 bike's new paint is janky.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    Research suggests that small differences in crank length don't have a lot of affect on pedaling efficiency at different submaximal outputs. They did +/- 5mm, so I don't know if 10mm would be different, but it seems that we all might think crank length matters more than it does.

My current Tallboy has 175 cranks and then I spent a week on the Hightower v.2 with 170 cranks and I had already presupposed I'll notice it but not at all. Sure helped with mitigating pedal strikes though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sfr4dr View Post
    But so many people said it'd be ruined if they make it a carbon AF! Lol. Still not into the scallop graphics but the colors are nice and why don't these companies put 2 accessory bosses for a tube on the underside of the top tube? Seeing a tube velcro'd onto an $8,000 bike's new paint is janky.
    Everyone's got choices... I choose to wear a hip pack or a backpack and put it all in there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Read a post from the Loam Ranger's youtube channel and he said he's liking the 1 degree angleset on the v.2 Ripmo. This bike comes with a 44 offset fork. I spent time on the Revel Rascal and it has a 51mm fork with sort of similar geometry and Revel did that on purpose and the bike feels really good. I'm considering a 51mm offset fork on this bike and a 1 degree angleset. Anyone else thinking of going this route?

Not sure why they are not offering DVO suspension on this carbon bike? I think Ibis is doing it right by not increasing the prices too. While everyone else is they are stable. Much appreciated Ibis!

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Read a post from the Loam Ranger's youtube channel and he said he's liking the 1 degree angleset on the v.2 Ripmo. This bike comes with a 44 offset fork. I spent time on the Revel Rascal and it has a 51mm fork with sort of similar geometry and Revel did that on purpose and the bike feels really good. I'm considering a 51mm offset fork on this bike and a 1 degree angleset. Anyone else thinking of going this route?
    I think like with most any geo change, it's going to be better some places and worse in others I reckon. Like everyone says.. it depends on your trails. My prior bike had a 64* HA and it was just too slack and I didn't welcome the drawbacks as much as I liked the advantages.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Annadel Adam View Post
    Mediums in Zapper Blue are sold out til May as of this morning. Some things are worth waiting for.
    Fanatik has a blue Medium as of right now. Pls somebody snag it so I can't...
    Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD5
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by BmanInTheD View Post
    Fanatik has a blue Medium as of right now. Pls somebody snag it so I can't...
    Ah just do it! You are running low on bikes.

Ride On!
    Surprised that Robin Wallner has been riding one incognito since last summer on the EWS circuit since last summer. Got to hand it to Ibis for keeping the V2 under wraps, man that's a slick move from a cool bike company.

From Pinkbike:
    ".... That change in progression was inspired in part by requests from EWS team rider Robin Wallner, who was actually riding a Ripmo V2 last season, racking up four top-ten finishes on his hidden-in-plain-sight prototype."

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post

Roadies have done a tonne of research on crank length. Noticable differences in performance are only observed when you start reach crazy crank lengths (like 145mm Vs 195mm) and even then it's only a handful of %. For leverage, trying to decide between a 165 and 175mm crank is a waste of time as there is too small of a difference to matter, the crank length is only one lever in a series of levers on your bike.

In fact, a lot of road riders are shifting to shorter cranks to get a better fit on their bikes, increased comfort and even power gains as you can reduce restriction through the top of the pedal stroke by opening up an impinged hip angle and/or reducing knee flexion.
    Oxygen usage also decreases with shorter crank length as your pedal rate decreases (that's the speed the pedal has to move to make a full rotation not the cadence that you pedal at).

At 6ft tall I run 165mm cranks, have noticed no change in power output or pedalling efficiency from 175mm, just less pedall strikes.

I'm tempted to try 155mm cranks just to see if that's a step too far!

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    On the original Ripmo I have DPX2 which I am happy with for trail riding. When going on shuttle days I am not so happy with it and would probably be better of with X2. Find the DPX2 harsh and sometimes a bit uncontrolled.

How does the updated linkage affect this? Would the DPX2 work better for shuttle days with the updated linkage? Asking because delivery time seems way shorter on DPX2.

And yes, I know that I can put X2 and angleset on the Ripmo I have but new bike is new bike

mtbr member

Not sure why they are not offering DVO suspension on this carbon bike? I think Ibis is doing it right by not increasing the prices too. While everyone else is they are stable. Much appreciated Ibis!
    Curious why youíd go with the 51mm offset with an angle set, I thought one of the goals with short offset was to keep total WB in check. Transitionís whole SBG concept is crazy slack but balanced by short offset forks.

More generally idea of adding an angle set to a brand new ďlonger/slackerĒ bike is funny, guess it points to the fact that Ibis in general sticks to a fairly conservative design approach, bikes that will do most things well. Same is true with their range in general, no WC-caliber XC or DH bikes, just solid mid-spectrum trail bikes.

As a happy Ripmo V1 owner the V2 is definitely not enough of a change to spark upgrade fever for me. The bikes that have my attention are things like the Norco Sight and soon-to-come Transition Sentinel. HTA<64, reach >500 in a Large, STA 77-78. Grim Donut territory!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Honestly I love the changes and the bike but it's too soon for the V1 owners. In two years we have an AF and a V2. Not great for value compared to other brands that tend to cycle every three years.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hotsalsa View Post
    Honestly I love the changes and the bike but it's too soon for the V1 owners. In two years we have an AF and a V2. Not great for value compared to other brands that tend to cycle every three years.
    I have a V1 Ripmo. I got July 2018. The release of the AF and now V2 Ripmo do nothing to make my V1 any lesser of a bike. I still love mine and will love it. Sure it will impact resale, but I did not buy bike for resale.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", 19' Vassago Optimus Ti SS 29", '19 Ibis Ripmo, XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by YamaLink View Post
    Prices dropping. New large V1 Ripmo frame delivered in US for substantial % off msrp (no tax to my state) from a popular/reputable seller. Don't know color. As with others, he won't get V2 for a few weeks.
    $2100 delivered for a new V1 Ripmo frame from most online shops. Large seems most available in both colors.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    A Push shock would be sick on the Ripmo V2

mtbr member
    What silly about it? I have been on 170 forever, I'd have no problem with 165.

mtbr member
    Where are you guys finding the v1 Ripmo frames for $2100 online?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    $2100?? Where is this?? The online dealers that are on Ibis website are 10% at best so $300 off msrp - best of seen for a frame is $2549

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Any idea how much less the V2 frame is over the AF frame?

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Ordered a medium zapper blue nx build through my lbs, upgraded to factory fork and carbon bar. email from Ibis yesterday said medium blue frames are sold out until May, so I'm crossing my fingers for May, but hopefully not later than June. Can't wait to get that thing in my possession.

Ariolimax columbianus
    Ordered a medium zapper blue nx build through my lbs, upgraded to factory fork and carbon bar. email from Ibis yesterday said medium blue frames are sold out until May, so I'm crossing my fingers for May, but hopefully not later than June. Can't wait to get that thing in my possession.
    lurkin....how's a ripmo pedal in annadel as opposed to a ripley? i know they're pretty different but how's a ripmo on a long 25 mile xc style ride? sorry if this question's been asked already.

btw...not totally name droppin here, but i work in santa cruz county, ride sc trails, and the community is not too big. a friend, who's husband's bro might be an engineer at ibis is definitely designing an ebike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by nativeson View Post
    lurkin....how's a ripmo pedal in annadel as opposed to a ripley? i know they're pretty different but how's a ripmo on a long 25 mile xc style ride? sorry if this question's been asked already.

btw...not totally name droppin here, but i work in santa cruz county, ride sc trails, and the community is not too big. a friend, who's husband's bro might be an engineer at ibis is definitely designing an ebike.
    I've only demoed a ripmo once, and didnt ride it on a 25mi loop here. But it pedaled just as good as I expected and i loved it. its mostly fire road with a few technical climbs, but nothing too steep. I'm real excited to hammer down some of the rougher rocky trails we have in the area. I was torn between the ripley and ripmo, but feel like the ripmo is better for me personally as I can only own one bike and want one that can do everything. I'll be taking it to the 25th downieville XC race in August so ask me how it pedals after that 8 mile climb. haha.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by magnil View Post
    On the original Ripmo I have DPX2 which I am happy with for trail riding. When going on shuttle days I am not so happy with it and would probably be better of with X2. Find the DPX2 harsh and sometimes a bit uncontrolled.

How does the updated linkage affect this? Would the DPX2 work better for shuttle days with the updated linkage? Asking because delivery time seems way shorter on DPX2.

And yes, I know that I can put X2 and angleset on the Ripmo I have but new bike is new bike
    Anyone that has some input on this? Ie how would a DPX2 behave on V2 compared to V1

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I am really glad I have a V1. Most of these changes push the bike in a direction away from what I want.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    If anyone is looking for a new Ripmo fork, the Lyrik Ultimate 160 with 42mm rake is $690 from a reputable dealer in West Virginia.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Call Shaun George at N+1 Bikes if you want a crazy deal on a V1 Ripmo, whether you want frame, frame+fork, or a complete build. He has a bunch in stock. He also has bunch of V2 frames coming in stock with plenty of custom build options. (502) 718-7246

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by HotEricHoney View Post
    $2100 delivered for a new V1 Ripmo frame from most online shops. Large seems most available in both colors.
    I can't find that

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by slcpunk View Post
    Westin should be earning commissions...!
    somewhat related sidenote: The $690 Lyrik Ultimate fork (160mm, 42mm rake) seller offered a small "kickback" but I declined. Many of us are small business owners, and it's nice to see a fellow rider/business owner making enough to do what they like. Beside, if I didn't mention the deals I'm positive someone else(s) would have. Helps pass time at work, that's what I get out of it, ha.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Just a thought, someone could buy the V1 frame and a complete AF NX build, swap the parts over to the V1 frame minus a few upgrades, sell the AF frame and make out with a sweet bike on the cheap.
    2020 Ripmo AF

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Trying to get this back to V2 discussion

I am looking at the build options and it was mentioned here both that DVO fork options would and would not be available for the Ripmo v2. Any updates on this?

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    is the v2 frame worth the premium over a discounted v1 frame. tough choice

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by msalvatore View Post
    is the v2 frame worth the premium over a discounted v1 frame. tough choice
    For many it's not. The -1 Works Component headset is about $100, and takes care of the headset angle. And lighter riders got along well with the V1's kinematics. I believe anyone over 180 pounds or super hard chargers, big jumper/flat landing were wanting more progression.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Is it me or does the wheelbase seem awful long? The XL is at 1267mm. I just sold my V4 Ibis Ripley and it's wheelbase was only 1236mm. Trying to decide between the Ripmo V2 and the new Pivot Switchblade. The XL Switchblade is at 1240mm. Just wondering how well the Ripmo will do in tight switchbacks, techy, rocky climbs, etc. Basically every single ride I do here in Vegas.

The Ripley was awesome, super capable. But I was starting to reach my limit with the 120mm rear.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by scot45 View Post
    Is it me or does the wheelbase seem awful long? The XL is at 1267mm. I just sold my V4 Ibis Ripley and it's wheelbase was only 1236mm. Trying to decide between the Ripmo V2 and the new Pivot Switchblade. The XL Switchblade is at 1240mm. Just wondering how well the Ripmo will do in tight switchbacks, techy, rocky climbs, etc. Basically every single ride I do here in Vegas.

The Ripley was awesome, super capable. But I was starting to reach my limit with the 120mm rear.
    Wondering the same. My large Ripley with 51mm 130 fork seems long for me in many situations.

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Quote Originally Posted by scot45 View Post

I actual think the wheelbase is too short with the XL. The front is so long now and not balanced out with an appropriately longer rear. Front end grip will suffer from this imbalance.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Excited to see the new ripmo with a push shock.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Interesting data-based vid comparing V1 & V2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E_6CTuXaG4

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mjoeko View Post
    Hi westin, can you send me a pm too please?
    Yes indeed.
    And to keep this thread about the V2, mtb yum yum just posted this from St. George today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y31XRluYiE0

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    Check inbox. The shop in question told me last night inventory is still plenty.
    Thanks

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Ran a -1 on the V2, and not surprisingly, it felt like my recent Transition Sentinel carbon demo. Many geo specs are near identical. I don't think my riding style, ability, and local trails warrant a -1 on the V2, but in some areas of the Front Range it was very nice, fun, and didn't take away from the slow technical rocky climbing. YMMV.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    Yes indeed.
    And to keep this thread about the V2, mtb yum yum just posted this from St. George today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y31XRluYiE0
    I donít understand why heís reviewing a 160/145mm bike on an XC trail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    I donít understand why heís reviewing a 160/145mm bike on an XC trail.

If I was to guess, it's because many riders view most St. George trails as "epic technical gnar". And maybe because the always-happy upbeat Yum Yum was vacationing there and reviewing several big bike demos (Pivot Switchblade the other, I think). I've always gone to SGU on 100 to 130 bikes, but unlike you, most riders are groomed on dirt sidewalks.
    Related side note; my ex grew up in St. George and rode everything on a 26er hardtail with her brothers (one of whom was US national champ and podiumed at Worlds). The saddest part about breaking up with her was losing a kickass technical riding partner. She thought everything in her hometown was a normal cross country, trail, too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crit Rat View Post
    Westin, can you pm me as well? Looking to make a good pedaling trail bike to add to the enduro sled.
    should probably get a ripley v4, ripmo is an enduro bike! not sure that makes much sense, too much overlap it seems!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Interesting that yumyum said it was more supple than the v1. I felt that way with my AF vs the v1 dpx2 demo I did but was never sure if it was due to poor setup of the dpx2 or if the Topaz was more plush. Either way, all great bikes. Can't go wrong with any! Now if I could only swap all my GX AF parts and green Diamond over to a grey v2!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Couple of things that I'm not quite sure Ibis did not offer on the v.2 Ripmo.

1. Chainstay protector... I was thinking that quickly everyone would copy Santa Cruz chainstay protectors because they work really well at keeping the bike silent, no chain is heard slapping away. Specialized came up with one for the new Enduro. Ibis did not do anything about this and elected to keep that paper thin one that starts to come out over time and doesn't keep the chain slap quiet.

2. Why not offer DVO on the carbon as they did on AF?

I might attempt to get the chainstay protector from SC and see it would fit a v.2 Ripmo. I saw MTB Sevant do a video on that for his Yeti and it he made it fit. Thats an option...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

2. Why not offer DVO on the carbon as they did on AF?

I was really disappointed they didn't offer DVO too. I think that was a huge mistake.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by matt.s67 View Post
    Call Shaun George at N+1 Bikes if you want a crazy deal on a V1 Ripmo, whether you want frame, frame+fork, or a complete build. He has a bunch in stock. He also has bunch of V2 frames coming in stock with plenty of custom build options. (502) 718-7246
    This^^^^^ Ordered a V1 frame and a Factory 36 for $2900. Are you guys with the PM's getting a better deal?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    So what is the consensus? Buy a discounted V1, get an AF, or save up for a V2?

For me, I'm looking for a single bike quiver. I'm a lightweight less aggressive rider.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by D1PHAM View Post

For me, I'm looking for a single bike quiver. I'm a lightweight less aggressive rider.

If a Ripmo is the right tool for the job, then I'd recommend a V1 and see if you would benefit from a $100 Works Component - 1 headset. Or maybe consider a shorter travel bike like a Ripley or Offering or something in that class.

mtbr member
    I'm a lightweight less aggressive rider.
    Ripley V4

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by danK View Post
    shorter travel bike like a Ripley or Offering or something in that class.
    The Offering is in the same class and the Ripmo.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    The Offering is in the same class and the Ripmo.
    Whoops. Meant the Following.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

There's always ways to hack the system a bit like the AF guys buying the NX complete and immediately selling off the NX drive and brakes and upgrading. You could do that with a V2 NX with factory 36. Chuck the NX and install a higher end 11 speed that you find on sale. I saved $700 off my AF by putting it on a new credit card, getting the points then paying the card off a week later. We already had a trip planned and used the points for the flight. In summary, I'd hack the system and get the V2 for almost the same price as the V1 (on sale), especially if you're aggressive. It gives you the option to run more variety of shocks and setup the initial travel more supple without sacrificing bottom out support. Multiple reviewers on youtube mentioned the added progressivity was the main reason to buy a V2. If you aren't aggressive, you would be fine with a V1 but if you aren't aggressive or riding that terrain, you might as well buy a Ripley!
    2020 Ripmo AF

mtbr member

I wouldn't say that you need a V2, however, at your weight you may want the lighter tune on one of those three.

I had a v3 Ripley for a couple of years and have had the Ripmo for 15 months. The only drawback for me is I like variety so I also have a short travel bike. I kind of regret selling the ripley frame after going through a hardtail and now an Intense Sniper. I like the Ripley more than the sniper.

Take for a grain of salt my preferences for local rides:

Midpen (gap,skeggs,etc): ripley > ripmo
    mostly due to weight; ripley was a little more snappy; prefer climbing position of the ripmo; shorter bike makes better endor speeder sounds. Times are pretty equal. Feel the Ripmo weight when running heavier tires.

RR: Ripmo > Ripley
    Tech climbing much better, not as beat up in the rough. Times pretty equal.

Demo/UC: Ripmo > Ripley. Both are fun but Ripmo if hitting features. Faster on the downs with the Ripmo.

Gravel grinding: neither... climbing position is better for me is better on the Ripmo. Go at the same slow pace on both. Actually faster with light wheelset/mezcals on the Ripmo. I think that may be more of a comfort thing though.

For me the Ripmo > Ripley V4 since I can lighten the Ripmo up with a second wheelset/rear shock if warranted.

I am still on the fence with fork offset. I like the 51mm better than the 44mm. 44mm still feels floppy at low speeds around tight turns. I knew this from try 46mm vs 51mm before but drank the koolaid anyways.

There are a lot of great bikes out there so hard to go wrong. The fun one is the one you are riding.

BTW, single bike quiver? Where did others go?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by c-wal View Post
    I wouldn't say that you need a V2, however, at your weight you may want the lighter tune on one of those three.

I had a v3 Ripley for a couple of years and have had the Ripmo for 15 months. The only drawback for me is I like variety so I also have a short travel bike. I kind of regret selling the ripley frame after going through a hardtail and now an Intense Sniper. I like the Ripley more than the sniper.

Take for a grain of salt my preferences for local rides:

Midpen (gap,skeggs,etc): ripley > ripmo
    mostly due to weight; ripley was a little more snappy; prefer climbing position of the ripmo; shorter bike makes better endor speeder sounds. Times are pretty equal. Feel the Ripmo weight when running heavier tires.

RR: Ripmo > Ripley
    Tech climbing much better, not as beat up in the rough. Times pretty equal.

Demo/UC: Ripmo > Ripley. Both are fun but Ripmo if hitting features. Faster on the downs with the Ripmo.

Gravel grinding: neither... climbing position is better for me is better on the Ripmo. Go at the same slow pace on both. Actually faster with light wheelset/mezcals on the Ripmo. I think that may be more of a comfort thing though.

For me the Ripmo > Ripley V4 since I can lighten the Ripmo up with a second wheelset/rear shock if warranted.

I am still on the fence with fork offset. I like the 51mm better than the 44mm. 44mm still feels floppy at low speeds around tight turns. I knew this from try 46mm vs 51mm before but drank the koolaid anyways.

There are a lot of great bikes out there so hard to go wrong. The fun one is the one you are riding.

BTW, single bike quiver? Where did others go?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the feedback. Makes sense. Trying to be a responsible adult, which means consolidation of bikes due to the kids.

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011

1. Chainstay protector... I was thinking that quickly everyone would copy Santa Cruz chainstay protectors because they work really well at keeping the bike silent, no chain is heard slapping away. Specialized came up with one for the new Enduro. Ibis did not do anything about this and elected to keep that paper thin one that starts to come out over time and doesn't keep the chain slap quiet.
    With the dropped stay you don't need it as much.

My V1 is soooo quiet. One of my favorite things about it.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Does the new Ripmo feel roomier ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I have a Carbon CC Hightower v2 which is pretty pimped out but am considering moving all the parts to a new Ripmo 2 frame. To be honest, I really like the hightower but I'm super curious about the Ripmo. I've always been a fan of the DW link suspension ever since I had an Ibis HD. Am I crazy? Anyone have any experience with both bikes?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Fassn8 View Post
    I have a Carbon CC Hightower v2 which is pretty pimped out but am considering moving all the parts to a new Ripmo 2 frame. To be honest, I really like the hightower but I'm super curious about the Ripmo. I've always been a fan of the DW link suspension ever since I had an Ibis HD. Am I crazy? Anyone have any experience with both bikes?
    We'll this is the Ibis forum so of course most here will tell you Ibis. I'm no fan boy though and actually had a HT2 on order and have done a long demo on both the HT2 CC XO1, V1 Ripmo GX and Ripmo AF GX, which I own. I'd watch mtbyumyum's reviews on these as I agree with him 100%. I have reviews on this forum somewhere. I haven't ridden the V2 but it should ride the same as my AF except for the dvo vs fox and the 1.5-2 lbs difference (weight of a full large water bottle). The HT2 and AF aren't that much different in climbing and decending ability. Places where the HT2 is better; lyrik is butter smooth, extremely silent and solid feeling, lifetime warranty, better bottle placement, shuttle pad, maybe a tad more supple and looks cooler. That's about it. The AF with Topaz is just as supple plus you have the coil option, which I bet would beat out the HT2 then. Things the AF is better at; tad more stable at speed likely due to more travel and Assegais, more tire clearance, pedals amazing through obstacles, a bit more travel, can run a coil or x2, better oe parts (no reverb or clunky DT 370 rear hub on the SC lower builds) and ability to select shimano or sram and upgrade certain parts. I think the HT2 I demo'd was near the peak of its capability with the Lyrik and Super D but the Ripmo has higher limits, especially with a Few changes with no drawback climbing. Both amazing bikes though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    We'll this is the Ibis forum so of course most here will tell you Ibis. I'm no fan boy though and actually had a HT2 on order and have done a long demo on both the HT2 CC XO1, V1 Ripmo GX and Ripmo AF GX, which I own. I'd watch mtbyumyum's reviews on these as I agree with him 100%. I have reviews on this forum somewhere. I haven't ridden the V2 but it should ride the same as my AF except for the dvo vs fox and the 1.5-2 lbs difference (weight of a full large water bottle). The HT2 and AF aren't that much different in climbing and decending ability. Places where the HT2 is better; lyrik is butter smooth, extremely silent and solid feeling, lifetime warranty, better bottle placement, shuttle pad, maybe a tad more supple and looks cooler. That's about it. The AF with Topaz is just as supple plus you have the coil option, which I bet would beat out the HT2 then. Things the AF is better at; tad more stable at speed likely due to more travel and Assegais, more tire clearance, pedals amazing through obstacles, a bit more travel, can run a coil or x2, better oe parts (no reverb or clunky DT 370 rear hub on the SC lower builds) and ability to select shimano or sram and upgrade certain parts. I think the HT2 I demo'd was near the peak of its capability with the Lyrik and Super D but the Ripmo has higher limits, especially with a Few changes with no drawback climbing. Both amazing bikes though.
    Thank you! My only gripe with the HT2 is the weight. Itís 1-2 lbs heavy in my opinion. That of course isnít a huge deal I guess (not to start yet another thread about nine weights).

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    So youíre saying an Aluminum Ripmo is on par with HTv2?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I honestly canít believe that anyone thinks the HT2 looks better than the Ripmo. Those new SC bikes with the lower shock mount look hideous. Just me I guess?
    Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD5
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I agree with them looking hideous.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNatureBoy View Post
    So youíre saying an Aluminum Ripmo is on par with HTv2?

Yes, they are pretty close in performance given you have a comparable build. You obviously can't compare an AF NX to an HT2 CC XO1 Reserve. Check out yumyum's review comparing the Offering, HT2 and V1 Ripmo then imagine you add a tad more downhill prowess to the V1 with the AF or V2 and there you go. These bikes are all very close though so it's kind of personal preference of the subtle differences at that point. Also worth noting that the AF frame is only 0.85 lbs heavier than a carbon C HT2, which is pretty impressive.
    2020 Ripmo AF

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BmanInTheD View Post
    I honestly canít believe that anyone thinks the HT2 looks better than the Ripmo. Those new SC bikes with the lower shock mount look hideous. Just me I guess?
    Personally I think the Ibis bikes are pretty fugly. The droopy top tube looks like a Giant Trance👎 Didnít stop me from buying one though! They ride awesome and for me, performance trumps appearance.

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by slsl123 View Post
    Personally I think the Ibis bikes are pretty fugly. The droopy top tube looks like a Giant Trance Didnít stop me from buying one though! They ride awesome and for me, performance trumps appearance.
    Agree completely. I held my nose when I bought my Ripmo in April of 2018.

It's easily the best bike I've ever owned.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by slsl123 View Post
    Personally I think the Ibis bikes are pretty fugly. The droopy top tube looks like a Giant Trance👎 Didnít stop me from buying one though! They ride awesome and for me, performance trumps appearance.
    Haha, to each their own! I think the link hanging off the top tube down to the acute-angle rear triangle on the new SC bikes is WAY worse than a sloping TT. They probably ride great, though! The only bike I've owned that become too ugly for me to ride was my early Pivot Mach 4 Carbon. That was FUGLY!
    Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD5
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    has anyone gotten their V2 yet? I assume us regular folks all have to wait a few months. I ordered mine on release day and my shop is saying the date is May 15th.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I'm hoping somebody gets one soon, because I'm looking forward to some build pics on here in both colors.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    has anyone gotten their V2 yet? I assume us regular folks all have to wait a few months. I ordered mine on release day and my shop is saying the date is May 15th.
    Welp that saves me a trip down to the peddler.

If full builds are into May at least, that means frame only is probably August or September. I may end up on a HT2 or a sb130.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Jukas View Post

If full builds are into May at least, that means frame only is probably August or September. I may end up on a HT2 or a sb130.
    some things are worth the wait friend.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

my local shop has 2 star destroyer grey frames in and apparently it's sister shop has 2 blue frames in (which i haven't seen in person)

the grey looks bad ass in person!

beater
    My GF has tracking information from Fanatik.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    just pre-ordered an XL in Bug Zapper blue. I was quoted beginning of June for delivery.

mtbr member
    Ibis Ripmo V2 Thread-s780_2_28_20_ibis_ripmo_v2_custom_1.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2013
    That is my bike. First ride tomorrow!
    BikeCo was awesome. They have more photos on their website and instagram.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    My V2 is supposed to be here in a week or so. Looking forward to my first Ibis. Long time Santa Cruz rider.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kwapik View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s780_2_28_20_Ibis_Ripmo_V2_Custom_1.jpg 
Views:	387 
Size:	141.7 KB 
ID:	1314161
    Sweet build. Got the good stuff in the right spots. That Lyric is so buttery smooth.
    2020 Ripmo AF

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmer View Post
    Is that an AXS drivetrain with shimano cranks? Can you give us a spec list of the build?

I talked to BikeCo.. sadly missed their first allocation of frames, but they're fairly confident that Ibis will hit their mid july target.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I had been running the Fox 36 for the last couple of years so felt it was time for something different. It was really buttery in the parking lot.
    29.78 pounds with pedals.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Is that an AXS drivetrain with shimano cranks? Can you give us a spec list of the build?
    Sure thing.
    Large frame - Fox X2
    Lyric Ultimate 170 42mm offset
    AXS XX1 drivetrain with Cane Creek eeWing Ti cranks
    Wolf tooth nickel plated 32t front chain ring
    Hope Tech 3 E4 brakes, 180 front and rear
    KS Lev Ci 175 post with Wolf Tooth remote
    Ibis S35 rims with I9 Hydra hubs
    Enve M7 35mm bar
    I9 A35 stemm
    Chris King bottom bracket and headset
    Ergon GE1 Evo grips
    SQ Lab 611 Carbpm saddle
    Schwalbe HD/NN 2.6 speed grip tires

Quite a mix of purple bits and they actually matched pretty well considering they came from I9, Wolftooth, Chris King and Hope.
    29.78 lbs with XTR pedals

mtbr member
    Looked so good, I had to post it. Another thing - there isn't enough photos on here.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    @gimmer: is there still an adapter needed for a 180mm rear brake mount at the V2? Never understood why Ibis had a 160mm post mount on the V1...

mtbr member
    Nice touch with the Violet bits! And those eewings are so nice!!! Looking great!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikesteiger View Post
    @gimmer: is there still an adapter needed for a 180mm rear brake mount at the V2? Never understood why Ibis had a 160mm post mount on the V1...
    It does require an adapter for the 180mm rear brake mount. Not sure who would run 160 on this bike but to each their own.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielM3 View Post
    My V2 is supposed to be here in a week or so. Looking forward to my first Ibis. Long time Santa Cruz rider.
    When did you place your order? was it something the lbs already had on order?
    Wondering why my date is May when i ordered on release day.

beater
    A lot of people ordered on release day. Ibis isnít that big a company, and theyíll prioritize their biggest dealers.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    A lot of people ordered on release day. Ibis isnít that big a company, and theyíll prioritize their biggest dealers.
    I have an email from Scot Nichol saying they don't prioritize anyone, all orders go into the queue as received. He did mention though, that while it hasn't affected production yet.. the coronavirus issue may have an impact on materials and ship dates.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Might depend on the build you ordered. Ibis tends to be really wonky with initial supply chain deliveries.

beater
    I have an email from Scot Nichol saying they don't prioritize anyone, all orders go into the queue as received. He did mention though, that while it hasn't affected production yet.. the coronavirus issue may have an impact on materials and ship dates.
    Maybe so, but my LBS is a dealer and they couldnít even talk to someone to place my GFís order for 2 days. So she bought a frame from Fanatik.

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Walked into my LBS in Victoria B.C. and inquired about a large blue Ripmo v2 with the SLX build kit.
    To my surprise they had one in a box and ready to go the next day, Been riding it for several days and the stability on the downs is superb!

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by yagimax1 View Post
    Walked into my LBS in Victoria B.C. and inquired about a large blue Ripmo v2 with the SLX build kit.
    To my surprise they had one in a box and ready to go the next day, Been riding it for several days and the stability on the downs is superb!
    Nice! sounds like they had that build kit on their original procurement order. my bike shop has a gray slx build on order in Large from their original order that's due in the next week or so.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Nice! sounds like they had that build kit on their original procurement order. my bike shop has a gray slx build on order in Large from their original order that's due in the next week or so.
    They actually have a large slx in bug zapper blue on the floor, or at least they did when I was in there the day before yesterday.

I almost walked out with it, but by the time I paid to get the freehub on my carbon wheels changed and would hae swapped out components it was going to be too much money for what it was.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I had been running the Fox 36 for the last couple of years so felt it was time for something different. It was really buttery in the parking lot.
    29.78 pounds with pedals.
    Have you been on the bike yet? I'm going with a Lyrik too and considering 170mm as well. Shop owner said at 170 in Rockshox brings the Lyrik quite similar to the Fox 36 offset. Do you feel it wandering or anything like that? Baller build for sure...

mtbr member
    Dec 2019

Are you getting this large gray slx bike?

mtbr member
    Ibis Ripmo V2 Thread-dzdn6282.jpg

Grabbed this for my son today. May borrow it tomorrow while he's at school.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Have you been on the bike yet? I'm going with a Lyrik too and considering 170mm as well. Shop owner said at 170 in Rockshox brings the Lyrik quite similar to the Fox 36 offset. Do you feel it wandering or anything like that? Baller build for sure...
    Two rides so far, but we were trying to beat the rain so both were a little mild.
    The bike is very stable at speed and I found that the 170 Lyrik did a better job with small bumps than the Fox 36 at 160. I was a little worried that the V2 would feel a bit like the Evil Wreckoning I had a few years ago - long and sloggy. However, it was more poppy than I anticipated.
    There was one climb that it wandered a little bit. I need to make some cockppit adjustments and that might be corrected. That being said, the times were very close to my normal so it did not have much of a negative impact.

beater
    GFís frame came today. Now weíre waiting on some parts.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I'm looking at ways to upgrade from my AF to the V2, maybe. Might not be worth the trouble for only 1.5-2.0 lbs difference depending on shock choice. A lot of people in the AF thread are buying the NX build then upgrading the drivetrain and brakes and selling off the old. The difference between the AF NX and AF SLX is $1,000 so I guess it's worth it for them. The V2 NX and V2 SLX are $800 apart. Anyone plan on doing anything "creative" like this with the V2 or just skipping the hassle and buying what you want the first time around? I'm thinking I could save about $400 doing this but after all the time and labor messing with it, it wouldn't be worth it.
    2020 Ripmo AF

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    contemplating same stuff - like getting AF, as the value is ridiculous, suspension bits are better IMO (ymmv), wheels and tires are same, cockpit bits equivalent (unless carbon bar upgraded).

my paralysis by overanalyzes says for the AF - the value is not there to buy SLX up front and do it as takeoffs/adds. Save roughly $400-500. Seatpost and the nominal weight doesn't concern me one bit.

For the V2 - Id prob go with the Ibis SLX build up front and not hassle/mess with getting the parts and swapping --- that said - brakes are likely a wash, so for about 400 in parts/labor it would be very comparable to the Ibis kit. Heavier - but ever so slightly.

I just bought some bits from the Merlin sale, and working a discount angle on an AF now - so with the discount it pays for most the parts. I really want the carbon w the nicer cable routing, would be quieter - but hard to justify the spend for lets just call it 2pounds...

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Other ways to save are to buy from a place where you can avoid sales tax and for my AF, I got about $700 extra off by opening a new credit card, putting the bike on it, immediately paying it off, then using the free points on something I was going to buy anyways (flights). I could easily do the same this time except that I'd need to sell my AF GX to make it happen. Ugh, sounds like a pain! Maybe I'll just continue carrying the 2 lbs worth of water and cage in my hip pack instead of on the bike and pretend I'm on the carbon model. Haha
    2020 Ripmo AF

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    some bug splat blue or asteroid grey paint!

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by yagimax1 View Post
    Are you getting this large gray slx bike?
    nope, I'm holding out for my Zapper Blue. You can reach out to Chris at the Bike Peddler in Santa Rosa to ask about that one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    I'm looking at ways to upgrade from my AF to the V2, maybe. Might not be worth the trouble for only 1.5-2.0 lbs difference depending on shock choice. A lot of people in the AF thread are buying the NX build then upgrading the drivetrain and brakes and selling off the old. The difference between the AF NX and AF SLX is $1,000 so I guess it's worth it for them. The V2 NX and V2 SLX are $800 apart. Anyone plan on doing anything "creative" like this with the V2 or just skipping the hassle and buying what you want the first time around? I'm thinking I could save about $400 doing this but after all the time and labor messing with it, it wouldn't be worth it.
    I bought the NX kit V2 with upgraded factory fork and carbon bar. I'll upgrade the drivetrain as needed. I've had NX on my current specialized for a year now and never had an issue, other than weight and a little bit clunky.

mtbr member
    Dec 2019

Hope

nope, I'm holding out for my Zapper Blue. You can reach out to Chris at the Bike Peddler in Santa Rosa to ask about that one.

Won't be calling Chris as I'm already out riding my bug zapper blue on the trails.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    GFís frame came today. Now weíre waiting on some parts.

Hi guys

What's the size and what is the weight of that beauty?

Cheers

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by s1ngletrackmind View Post

Your son is a lucky dude!

Quote Originally Posted by muggel View Post
    Hi guys

Cheers
    Just to be clear, he's not talking about the frame.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    I placed an order last week for a custom build which should be here some time in April.

-Size L, Grey
    - Lyrik and X2
    - XTR brakes and drive train w/Wolf Tooth 30T oval/RF Next R 175 cranks, Stamp 7 pedals (large)
    - 185 Bike Yoke Revive
    - King BB and headset
    - I9 40mm stem, Diety Skywire 800 bar and Knuckleduster grips
    - S35 wheels with King hubs and Aerolite spokes
    - 2.6 DHF/2.5 Aggressor

I've been riding hardtails (DV9 and Fuse) and am looking forward to having something else in the quiver.

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by muggel View Post
    Hi guys

Cheers
    Itís a large. Havenít weighed it. Itís hanging on the shop wall at the moment while she waits for some parts.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Fun question to ponder, what do you guys think would be the best looking v2 frame/fork color setup? Teal with an orange 36, teal with a black lyrik and teal anno bits, grey with a green diamond, grey with a black lyrik and blue anno parts, grey with red lyrick and red anno bits?? I know this is basically pointless to discuss but still fun to ponder....

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Fun question to ponder, what do you guys think would be the best looking v2 frame/fork color setup? Teal with an orange 36, teal with a black lyrik and teal anno bits, grey with a green diamond, grey with a black lyrik and blue anno parts, grey with red lyrick and red anno bits?? I know this is basically pointless to discuss but still fun to ponder....
    Grey with blue accents. That's my current Fuel Ex color scheme and I love it.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Ibis Ripmo V2 Thread-2-28-20-ibis-ripmo-v2-custom-2.jpg
    Grey with black lyrik and purple bits of course!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Blue w all black parts and stealth decals.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    All black? Yawn...😂 Just kidding. I know a got of guys like blacked out bikes. Grey and blue is always nice. That grey and purple is sweet! Would look cool with purple spoke nipples.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Ibis Ripmo V2 Thread-2ea33e60-6b51-4298-9566-41bc8b8e7453.jpg
    Mine is being built up Grey with red stem, headset, BB, pedals, and hubs. Thought about a red Lyrik but didnít want it against red the hubs so I went black because the chrome logo will look great with the silver spokes, silver Diety bar logo, and silver King headset spacers. Grey Kunclebuster grips to tie it all together.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Ibis Ripmo V2 Thread-ripmo.jpg

Long time lurker in this forum, first time poster.

I've demo'd a lot of Ibis bikes over the years--I've always liked the company, and they're local to me--but always felt that their cockpits were too cramped in a size L, and the bike felt generally too big in XL (I'm 6'0", 32 inch inseam). I rented a Ripmo V1 on a trip when it came out and liked it, but I had a pretty new bike that I was happy with (I'm coming from a Yeti SB5). I had the itch, and the announcement of the new Ripmo spurred me to action.

I received my new Ripmo yesterday (size L, bug zapper blue) and took it on a short maiden voyage on my local trails. My bikes have typically used SRAM drivetrains, but I went for the XTR build on this bike (my SB5 had XX1 AXS). The only deviation from that kit is that I kept my XX1 170mm crankset (over the 175mm Race Face that is spec'd), with a Wolf Tooth 32-tooth Shimano-compatible chainring. I opted for a 40mm stem. It weighs in at 30.54 pounds with XTR trail pedals.

First impressions after only one short ride, on trails I know extremely well and have demoed a lot of different bikes on:

* It climbs great. I easily cleared the short, steep, rooty climb on my regular loop (I clean it ~80% of the time on my old bike, but less often on unfamiliar bikes).
    * It's poppy and nimble for a 29er with its travel. It gives up surprisingly little to my SB5, and that's a very nimble bike. Prior to the SB5, I had a Yeti SB95, and this bike feels sharper than that one did, and it was no slouch.
    * I'm happy with the reach over the previous Ibis' I've ridden.
    * XTR is good, but AXS is better. The light touch and instant reaction is something that you get used to quickly, and miss it when it's gone. I do like the spacing in the climbing range on XTR better.
    * I've got a lot of knob twiddling to do. The 36 fork and X2 shock have a lot of adjustments. I put them in the range specified by the setup guide, but felt a bit over-damped and rebound felt too fast.
    * Love the color. It might be too close to my Yeti, but gray felt a bit boring.
    * I'm not sure about the dual Assegais. Good grip, but they feel heavy, and on the S35 rims, they have a pretty squared off profile. I will likely try a DHF/Aggressor combo and see if I prefer it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Thanks for the report! Mine will be here Monday and I have about the same build as you do. Great to hear your thoughts on climbing, reach, and 'poppy' feel. I have been wondering if I should have ordered a 170 crank vs the stock 175? Oh well. I also went for a 40mm stem and will probably change out the tires for my usual trails as they are pretty heavy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stmpjmpr View Post

Name:	Ripmo.jpg 
Views:	358 
Size:	476.5 KB 
ID:	1315775

Long time lurker in this forum, first time poster.

I've demo'd a lot of Ibis bikes over the years--I've always liked the company, and they're local to me--but always felt that their cockpits were too cramped in a size L, and the bike felt generally too big in XL (I'm 6'0", 32 inch inseam). I rented a Ripmo V1 on a trip when it came out and liked it, but I had a pretty new bike that I was happy with (I'm coming from a Yeti SB5). I had the itch, and the announcement of the new Ripmo spurred me to action.

I received my new Ripmo yesterday (size L, bug zapper blue) and took it on a short maiden voyage on my local trails. My bikes have typically used SRAM drivetrains, but I went for the XTR build on this bike (my SB5 had XX1 AXS). The only deviation from that kit is that I kept my XX1 170mm crankset (over the 175mm Race Face that is spec'd), with a Wolf Tooth 32-tooth Shimano-compatible chainring. I opted for a 40mm stem. It weighs in at 30.54 pounds with XTR trail pedals.

First impressions after only one short ride, on trails I know extremely well and have demoed a lot of different bikes on:

* It climbs great. I easily cleared the short, steep, rooty climb on my regular loop (I clean it ~80% of the time on my old bike, but less often on unfamiliar bikes).
    * It's poppy and nimble for a 29er with its travel. It gives up surprisingly little to my SB5, and that's a very nimble bike. Prior to the SB5, I had a Yeti SB95, and this bike feels sharper than that one did, and it was no slouch.
    * XTR is good, but AXS is better. The light touch and instant reaction is something that you get used to quickly, and miss it when it's gone. I do like the spacing in the climbing range on XTR better.
    * I've got a lot of knob twiddling to do. The 36 fork and X2 shock have a lot of adjustments. I put them in the range specified by the setup guide, but felt a bit over-damped and rebound felt too fast.
    * I'm not sure about the dual Assegais. Good grip, but they feel heavy, and on the S35 rims, they have a pretty squared off profile. I will likely try a DHF/Aggressor combo and see if I prefer it.
    Waterdog? :-)

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Yes!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    All black? Yawn... Just kidding. I know a got of guys like blacked out bikes. Grey and blue is always nice. That grey and purple is sweet! Would look cool with purple spoke nipples.
    Ibis Ripmo V2 Thread-2-28-20-ibis-ripmo-v2-custom-4.jpg

At least on the timing nipples.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I have been wondering if I should have ordered a 170 crank vs the stock 175?
    When I rented the V1, I was riding at Gooseberry Mesa, and I had a lot more pedal strikes that I was used to on my own bikes. Given that, I opted for the 170s. Iím heading out to Sedona and Moab in a few weeks, so I guess Iíll find out if the shorter cranks help at all.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    All black? Yawn... Just kidding. I know a got of guys like blacked out bikes. Grey and blue is always nice. That grey and purple is sweet! Would look cool with purple spoke nipples.
    Ha! Definitely hear you but I like the toned down parts on the bright frame. Also black parts are universal and swap easily from frame to frame. If I want to go crazy in the future, I can always get sherbet colored grips and stickers. Either way, love seeing all the killer colors people think up.

mtbr member
    I demoed a Ripmo AF with Assegais and Ripmo V1 with DHF/Aggressor side by side, and the AF felt noticeably more sluggish. I think a lot of that was the tires. I have a Ripmo v2 on order, and I'll swap out the stock Assegais for DHF/Aggressor. I ran that setup on my Hightower most of last season, and it's a good allround combo. I'll run MagicMary 2.6 Addix Soft when the going gets really sloppy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I've been following this thread and wanted to contribute now that I have something to share. I originally planned to order a V2 NX build, and then swap/upgrade a few of the parts. But, after talking with the local bike shop, and some other shops and websites, it sounds like it will be at least a few months before the next round of frames get delivered. I didn't want to risk waiting that long, so I bought the SLX build that my local shop had on the floor. It was the right size (large) and I prefer the grey color. It even happened to have the carbon handlebar upgrade.

Since it's the SLX, I won't have to swap as many parts as I would have with the NX. I would have changed the cassette and dropper, but will leave those now. I'm still going to change tires (EXO+ Assegai are overkill for me) and brakes because I just don't care for the feel of Shimano, so I'll be putting Sram G2 and rotors on. Also getting shorter cranks (staying with SLX) because it was a "default" build and came with 175s. I haven't ridden it yet, partly due to the weather but also because I wanted to take off the tires, brakes, and cranks when everything was brand new to sell them as new take offs. If anyone is interested let me know.

I'm coming off a '18 Bronson, and a '16 5010 before that. The Ripmo is the first 29er (and Ibis and DW link) I've owned. I've ridden a couple 29ers briefly in the past and was never that exited about them. But I've gotten more and more curious about them in the last year, especially now that the geo really seems to be sorted out. I had the chance to demo a Ripmo V1 the day before the V2 was released, and also rode a new Hightower and Tallboy the same week. I preferred the Ibis over both Santa Cruz, and after spending some decent time on newer 29ers, that convinced me to take the plunge. I'm really looking forward to getting out on the new Ripmo and having a modern 29er trail bike. The fit and finish of the frame is excellent, and I like the small geo tweaks and improved cable routing of the V2.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ibis Ripmo V2 Thread-img_2911_.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by lj17 View Post
    I've been following this thread and wanted to contribute now that I have something to share. I originally planned to order a V2 NX build, and then swap/upgrade a few of the parts. But, after talking with the local bike shop, and some other shops and websites, it sounds like it will be at least a few months before the next round of frames get delivered. I didn't want to risk waiting that long, so I bought the SLX build that my local shop had on the floor. It was the right size (large) and I prefer the grey color. It even happened to have the carbon handlebar upgrade.

Since it's the SLX, I won't have to swap as many parts as I would have with the NX. I would have changed the cassette and dropper, but will leave those now. I'm still going to change tires (EXO+ Assegai are overkill for me) and brakes because I just don't care for the feel of Shimano, so I'll be putting Sram G2 and rotors on. Also getting shorter cranks (staying with SLX) because it was a "default" build and came with 175s. I haven't ridden it yet, partly due to the weather but also because I wanted to take off the tires, brakes, and cranks when everything was brand new to sell them as new take offs. If anyone is interested let me know.

I'm coming off a '18 Bronson, and a '16 5010 before that. The Ripmo is the first 29er (and Ibis and DW link) I've owned. I've ridden a couple 29ers briefly in the past and was never that exited about them. But I've gotten more and more curious about them in the last year, especially now that the geo really seems to be sorted out. I had the chance to demo a Ripmo V1 the day before the V2 was released, and also rode a new Hightower and Tallboy the same week. I preferred the Ibis over both Santa Cruz, and after spending some decent time on newer 29ers, that convinced me to take the plunge. I'm really looking forward to getting out on the new Ripmo and having a modern 29er trail bike. The fit and finish of the frame is excellent, and I like the small geo tweaks and improved cable routing of the V2.
    Nice, you're gonna love it!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    lj17, what'd you dislike about the hightower v2 versus the Ripmo? I've demo'd one as well but it's always interesting to hear.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Update after ride #2

I took a look at the suspension, and it turned out that the shop didn't have the bike in the recommended range for my weight like I thought. So, I spent some time making sure that it's all set correctly before riding it again. I also took the Assegais off and replaced them with a DHF 2.5/Aggressor 2.5 combo (saved ~.25#, but it also felt like they rolled quite a bit better). I took it out to some trails local to the Santa Cruz area (which got a light rain the day before, and conditions were epic).

The bike was again a great climber. It hooks up well on rooty, technical climbs and continues to be way better on steeps than I thought it would. I was the only person, among a small group who rides this area much more often than I do, to clear a very steep, punchy climb with some wet roots in it. It held its own on the longer, less interesting climbs too; it was quite comfortable when putting in the turns to the top. Color me impressed with the bike in this regard.

It really shone on the downhills, of course. We descended a classic trail in the area--one that I'm pretty familiar with--and I was very impressed. It's doesn't feel super deep or plush, so it definitely doesn't monster truck down the trail. But, on drops at speed, where I'd reach pretty deep into the travel on my SB5, the Ripmo felt like it was smooth off the top, and ramped up its progression very well. It felt supportive and communicative in the mid-stroke. It was easy to push into the suspension and pop out of corners and depressions. I felt very confident in it after just a couple of turns, especially for it being a new bike, and quite different from my previous one.

Downhill #2 was a new trail to me, and it was slower speed overall, but with some very steep sections and pretty aggressive G-outs. Again, the bike was very supportive, and always felt like it had more to give if I needed it. The new XTR 4-piston brakes were really great on the steeps, again boosting confidence. Again, conditions were ideal--this area is prone to get dry and dusty, and it was tacky and sweet this day--so things were stacked in my favor, but the bike handled very well.

Shifting was smooth and precise, but you'd expect that from XTR, although I'd still give a pretty solid edge to AXS Eagle.

So far, I love it. Now to continue shaking off the winter cobwebs and just spend more time on it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    anyone get their v1 stuff in hand from the deals at n+1?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    lj17, what'd you dislike about the hightower v2 versus the Ripmo? I've demo'd one as well but it's always interesting to hear.
    Just for context, the Ripmo I demoed was a GX build with the 36 Grip2 and carbon wheel upgrade. Both Hightower and Tallboy were stock carbon C NX builds, so alloy handlebar and wheels. My last two bikes were Santa Cruz (5010 and Bronson) and I've grown to like them, although this was the first time I rode any that had the newer lower link driven shock. This was the first time I was ever on any Ibis. I was riding around the Phoenix area and only spent a couple hours on the Ripmo, but had full days on both the HT and TB.

The Hightower was nice and felt somewhat familiar, even though it had larger wheels and a different shock layout than I was used to. But climbing just wasn't as good as the Ripmo. It's not that I had trouble climbing, but it just didn't feel as quick and nimble as the Ripmo. I'm sure part of it was the added weight from the NX parts and alloy wheels, and I imagine the frame itself is always going to be heavier with that layout too. Even if it would have been a CC frame, with how bulky the BB area has to be with the shock passing though the seat tube, it seems like it would always be heavier than a frame design like the Ripmo, or the previous gen Santa Cruz. I'm definitely not the type to count grams, but the HT just felt like a bigger/heavier/slower bike and I think the frame/shock design definitely plays a part in that. This was also the first time a rode a DW link, and any hype that I heard in the past was mostly confirmed; it was just really nice to climb on, especially as it was more technical.

As for descending, I honestly didn't notice that much difference between the two. They were both really good. I know SC changed to the lower mounted shock to improve suspension performance, but I didn't notice much difference, although I only had limited time on it and was only on one type of terrain. Again, the lower shock just felt like an unnecessary compromise (and it is more difficult to access which makes adjusting a pain). Maybe if it was on different trails and a different build kit, I would have felt differently.

Overall I just came away having had more fun on the Ripmo. The climbing was one thing, but it also just felt more nimble and easier to throw around, more playful I guess. It's not that the HT was a bad bike by any means, but when thinking about which one I would want to own it didn't take long at all to decide on the Ripmo. Although, maybe a small part of it was that I've had a few Santa Cruz now and maybe I'm just ready for something different..? Actually I don't really think that played into the decision at all, I think it was all in how good I felt on the bike. Plus, I also like the design/details of the Ripmo frame, and the way Ibis has the build kits structured and upgrade options is nice too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Good comparison and makes sense on all parts. Those NX kits didn't do those bikes any favors. My HT2 demo was a CC XO1 with carbon wheels so a pretty fancy build. The Lyric Ultimate and Super Deluxe were butter smooth so the bike was very plush but still a tad less capable downhill than my AF GX probably mostly due to a bit less travel and less grippy tires. Climbing was fairly similar. The SC pedal'd great but the Ibis is still the best pedaling bike imo. The SC did roll faster, mostly due to the 2.4 DHR2 exo vs 2.5 Assegai exo+. My carbon V1 Ripmo demo was less impressive. It had the dpx2 that just felt too firm but probably wasn't setup right or just not the best shock for that frame, which I've heard from others. It just wasn't plush so i walked away unimpressed but now know it was probably just the shock. I think the V2 is just unbeatable. All the best traits in one bike. Could build it light or go beefy with a coil. Extra progression allows a nice supple shock tune without less bottom out. Good stuff!

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    still waiting

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

I agree about the cassette spacing. 1st - 4th are very evenly spaced. You can get the AXS upgrade kit and use it with your XTR chain, chainring, and cassette to get the best of both worlds.

Those tires seem to kill all the fun for anything but extremely steep and loose terrain.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    sfr4dr, it sounds like we had similar thoughts when comparing the bikes. For what it's worth, my Ripmo demo had DHF/Assegai rear, and the HT had DHF/DHR2. I rented both Santa Cruz, so that explains the lower spec builds, although I did try not to focus on the cheaper components.

I'm going to put a DHR2 on the back of mine, and try a regular EXO Assegai on the front. I've run DHF, DHR2, Dissector (and others) on the front in the past, so I want to try the Assegai. It's not that much heavier than a DHF, and hopefully it won't be too sluggish. That combo should roll better than the stock dual EXO+ Assegai.

I agree that the Ripmo V2 seems hard to beat. If it climbs and handles as good (or very close) to the V1, it should make for an awesome ride now that it has the AF geometry. I'm anxious to ride mine to see how it feels compared to the V1 I demoed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Name:	DZDN6282.jpg 
Views:	422 
Size:	595.9 KB 
ID:	1315125

What size is that dropper post, slammed for sure. I ordered with a 200mm... I'm just curious.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Trying to find out what size of dropper to go with. I got a 200mm, what size is that 180mm?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kamper11 View Post
    anyone get their v1 stuff in hand from the deals at n+1?
    UPS tracking says mine should be arriving tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Smart move on the tires lj17 and sfr4dr. I am mounting up the Assagai EXO+ now but know they will probably be my tahoe/downiville style trail tires. I am thinking Assagai EXO 2.5 front and DHR2 2.4 or Aggressor rear. The headset got left out of my build kit (V2, XTR) which slowed me down but should have it together tomorrow.

mtbr member
    What size is that dropper post, slammed for sure. I ordered with a 200mm... I'm just curious.
    It looks to have a good 2-3cm before it's slammed. It's a BikeYoke Revive, which builds less than a Reverb. I've ordered a 185mm with my Ripmo.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Trying to find out what size of dropper to go with. I got a 200mm, what size is that 180mm?
    It is the 175 Ci from KS. I wish they had a 200.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Just parking lot tested a Ripmo AF and loved it. Considering getting a V2 frame or a much cheaper used v1 frame in size XL.

So with the -1 angle set, the V1 geometry is pretty close to the V2, just a shorter reach. Nice!

But what about the new more progressive suspension curve? Any tricks to get a V1 to feel more like the V2, such as using more shock spacers? I'm about 185lbs fully geared up and ride pretty hard. Am I over thinking the v1 bottom out issue?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Smart move on the tires lj17 and sfr4dr. I am mounting up the Assagai EXO+ now but know they will probably be my tahoe/downiville style trail tires. I am thinking Assagai EXO 2.5 front and DHR2 2.4 or Aggressor rear. The headset got left out of my build kit (V2, XTR) which slowed me down but should have it together tomorrow.
    That's probably a good tire setup. I live full time in Truckee and work in North Tahoe so big tires are a must. That's said, I've got maybe 30 rides on my AF with the Assegai EXO+ and I have no idea why Ibis would spec those. I'm not a fan of the "drifty" feeling of the DHF and love the grip of the front Assegai but a regular EXO would make more sense on the front. For the rear, I agree that a DHR2 or Aggressor would be good. EXO+ might be good in the rear only. I'm half tempted to go even lighter like DHR2/Dissector but I bet that would land with with a flat in the middle of BFE on my first ride! Also lj17, your V2 will climb great once you get the draggy tires off. Even with them it's not that bad on slow steep climbs. It's more noticeable on faster pedally rides. The head angle is no problem and the rear progression doesn't affect the climbing. Good thing is, even if you didn't like the head angle, which I doubt, you could put an angleset on and steepen it back a degree. No way to lose!
    2020 Ripmo AF

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    That's probably a good tire setup. I live full time in Truckee and work in North Tahoe so big tires are a must. That's said, I've got maybe 30 rides on my AF with the Assegai EXO+ and I have no idea why Ibis would spec those. I'm not a fan of the "drifty" feeling of the DHF and love the grip of the front Assegai but a regular EXO would make more sense on the front. For the rear, I agree that a DHR2 or Aggressor would be good. EXO+ might be good in the rear only. I'm half tempted to go even lighter like DHR2/Dissector but I bet that would land with with a flat in the middle of BFE on my first ride! Also lj17, your V2 will climb great once you get the draggy tires off. Even with them it's not that bad on slow steep climbs. It's more noticeable on faster pedally rides. The head angle is no problem and the rear progression doesn't affect the climbing. Good thing is, even if you didn't like the head angle, which I doubt, you could put an angleset on and steepen it back a degree. No way to lose!
    Not trying to turn this into a tire thread, but yeah I'm with you on the DHF being "drifty" at times, that's why I was never super thrilled on it when I ran it. I figured the added traction of the Assegai would be worth the slight weight increase and rolling resistance. The last setup on my previous bike was Dissector front and DHR2 and that was nice- lightweight and rolled pretty fast considering the traction. But, as you said, that combo might not be enough for your area.

I have my new brakes already, and the cranks and tires should be here tomorrow, so hopefully I can get everything installed and actually go for a ride!

mtbr member
    Hey Rev. 14 - it's a 185 Revive on a Large frame. And the post was too low on this pic from the first ride, it's been raised an inch or two from that. Plus my son is only 5' 8" (lowest height to fit on a Large, but he's still growing), so when I ride it, it goes another inch up for my 5' 10" height. Should be no problem to fit a 200 on a Large frame. I haven't let all the air out of the shock to test where the tire comes up to during full compression, but haven't had any rubbing either.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Hey Rev. 14 - it's a 185 Revive on a Large frame. And the post was too low on this pic from the first ride, it's been raised an inch or two from that. Plus my son is only 5' 8" (lowest height to fit on a Large, but he's still growing), so when I ride it, it goes another inch up for my 5' 10" height. Should be no problem to fit a 200 on a Large frame. I haven't let all the air out of the shock to test where the tire comes up to during full compression, but haven't had any rubbing either.
    Thanks for the response. I'm gonna give the PNW 200 dropper a shot. I'm 5'10 as well and want that thing out of the way.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by lj17 View Post
    I figured the added traction of the Assegai would be worth the slight weight increase and rolling resistance. The last setup on my previous bike was Dissector front and DHR2 and that was nice- lightweight and rolled pretty fast considering the traction.
    I actually think the Assegai rolls better than a DHF and yeah the traction is unmatched.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Name:	Ripmo.jpg 
Views:	358 
Size:	476.5 KB 
ID:	1315775

Interesting observation... I chose the XTR build as well. I was considering AXS XO1 but several people told me the XTR hyperglide 12speed is so much better than AXS. So I said, well I'll give it a shot. Plus its at least 7 years since I was last on Shimano so I'll appreciate the ability to dump multiple gears fast. That's one thing I always wished SRAM would come up with. Plus where I ride in the west, rocky alpine granite and red rocky areas, killing rear der. at a $700 cost is something I wasn't too jazzed about.

I don't know where you ride but Assegai front and back is pretty heavy and if you drop the rear out for an Agressor or Dissector, you're bike will get even more agile I suspect. Thanks for sharing your first impressions. The reach was something I didn't really care for on v.1 Ripmo and this will do it for me. Always like the reach of the Yeti's, I know some think Yeti's are too long. Can't wait for mine to come in, said about 10 days. Next shipment.... June....

Hard bike to come by at this time.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Interesting observation... I chose the XTR build as well. I was considering AXS XO1 but several people told me the XTR hyperglide 12speed is so much better than AXS. So I said, well I'll give it a shot. Plus its at least 7 years since I was last on Shimano so I'll appreciate the ability to dump multiple gears fast. That's one thing I always wished SRAM would come up with. Plus where I ride in the west, rocky alpine granite and red rocky areas, killing rear der. at a $700 cost is something I wasn't too jazzed about.

I don't know where you ride but Assegai front and back is pretty heavy and if you drop the rear out for an Agressor or Dissector, you're bike will get even more agile I suspect. Thanks for sharing your first impressions. The reach was something I didn't really care for on v.1 Ripmo and this will do it for me. Always like the reach of the Yeti's, I know some think Yeti's are too long. Can't wait for mine to come in, said about 10 days. Next shipment.... June....

Hard bike to come by at this time.
    Three rides on it now, and my opinion is still that XTR is good, but AXS is better. I have also run Grip Shift (SRAM does still make it!) quite a bit, which I know makes me odd, but there's no better system for changing a lot of gears at once. Grip Shift + Eagle is pretty great, but AXS is faster, better. I agree on the price issue, of course.

I did change the tires to DHF/Aggressor, and like it much better.

Good luck with the bike! I'm really enjoying it so far.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Finished my build last night

I finished up my build last night.

V2 Large
    XTR build (stock build except XTR cranks)
    DHF EXO 2.6 WT Front
    Aggressor EXO 2.5 WT Rear
    Selle carbon saddle
    XTR pedals
    29.375 lbs

mtbr member
    This bike is REALLY hard to get my hands on. Ive got one on order but not till June. Anybody know any tricks to find a Large Grey Frame only??

banned
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by northernlights View Post
    This bike is REALLY hard to get my hands on. Ive got one on order but not till June. Anybody know any tricks to find a Large Grey Frame only??
    Call Pro Bike Supply in Newport Beach,Ca. first. Don't settle on your LBS when you can have your frame months before from an out of State LBS. I've seen this with the Riply, ect. where people wait for months, when they could just simply call as many different out of State Ibis dealers as it takes until they find a frame/complete. No trick other than picking up your phone and a little research on the Ibis site.

mtbr member
    Yep. Have called 20 shops around the West already. All same story. Super hot bike...

mtbr member
    Iím curious if anyone with significant time on the Ripmo V1 has ridden the V2, and particularly whether thereís much difference in the suspension feel. Iím guessing the ďtraction tuneĒ would be a bigger difference than the altered spring curve.

Also really interested to hear (and hopefully try) a Ripmo with a coil. I saw Push post that they have an ElevenSix tune thatís Ripmo V2 compatible!

pap
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewBird View Post
    Iím curious if anyone with significant time on the Ripmo V1 has ridden the V2, and particularly whether thereís much difference in the suspension feel. Iím guessing the ďtraction tuneĒ would be a bigger difference than the altered spring curve.

Also really interested to hear (and hopefully try) a Ripmo with a coil. I saw Push post that they have an ElevenSix tune thatís Ripmo V2 compatible!
    This is a good watch regarding your question.
    https://youtu.be/mkRmLL50DMk

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Thanks!

So tl/dr is, the new bike is fine but if you have the old one you're not missing anything. Good to know!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewBird View Post
    Thanks!

So tl/dr is, the new bike is fine but if you have the old one you're not missing anything. Good to know!
    I had the opportunity to purchase a V1 vs. V2. The increased reach, FC and wheelbase concerned me since in a shorter lightweight (5'6 on a good day; 130 lbs) rider. Also, my local terrain is much less aggressive than most. I assume the more progressive kinematics would have led to a more poppy/lively bike which would have been fun though.

Either way, I don't think you lose with a V1 or a V2. Get the best deal you can get and go ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Do any of the ripmos come with the traction tune that the hd5 has?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tabbibus View Post
    Do any of the ripmos come with the traction tune that the hd5 has?

Anyone shipped late last year should. My V1 that just arrived does.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Is there a way to tell?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tabbibus View Post
    Is there a way to tell?

FYI: Ripmo Traction Tune update for current owner

Date: November 7, 2019

Subject: Re: Ripmo Traction Tune update for current owner.

The only changes from your tune to Traction Tune on the 36 Grip2 Factory and the DPX2 are change to light rebound tune.

The fork tunes can be DZDR, DZNN, DZDS or DZNP (those should all be the same tune, not sure why they need all those different ones).

And the shock tune is DZRW

Scot

Scot Nicol, AKA "Chuck Ibis", Founder, Ibis Cycles

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Beautiful

mtbr member
    Also with shelter in place order for Bay area/Monterey I don't see any bike deliveries from Ibis, Santa Cruz, etc to be happening any time soon. Everything is going to be delayed...

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Two rides in and wanted to provide an updateÖ

While overly simplistic, the bike pedaled/climbed well, did not feel over biked on the standard trails, and still felt confident on the rougher downs. For me it is my only MTB, so I wanted something that I can take to Santa Cruz/Tahoe/Downiville but also is great for general SF Bay Area trails (Annadel, backside China Camp, Skeggs, Fairfax trails..). I have been on Santa Cruz bikes for a while (Megatower (felt too , Tallboy, Blur Trail, Bronson..) and the Ripmo feels so far like a very balanced one bike solution.

I have the XTR build with just a few changes. (XTR cranks (175), DHF 2.6 EXO front tire, Aggressor 2.5 EXO rear tire, Selle saddle, Shimano dropper lever).

I swapped out the tires to be a better fit for my typical trails and they feel great. I am keeping the Assagaiís for bigger/rockier rides.

The Shimano dropper lever is mainly to fit in with the build and cleaner mounting.

The dropper is a bit slower on the way up so I am going to check/add some pressure but it is extremely smooth.

Selle seat is just for fit. I seem to be the rare one that does not get on well with WTBís.

The suspension felt really nice (Fox 36 Grip2, X2). I started with Ibisís suggestions and it felt pretty close. I did add a token and a bit more PSI to the fork. On the shock, I added a bit more pressure, more HSC, more LSC, and sped up the rebound.

The XTR brakes are super strong and I liked the feel vc the SRAM Codeís that I had been running last on my Megatower. IT did take some adjustment though as they bite harder. I do think that I am having a bit of the fin pad rattle. I am going to give it a few rides as some say it stops once they break in some more.

The XTR shifting is amazing and it does not seem to make much difference if you are shifting under load or not. I am still getting used to the shifter ergonomics and at the lever it feels sloppy a bit vs SRAM. I canít help but think that AXS shifters and the rest Shimano may be the best of both worlds but I am really happy with it as it is.

Overall I am loving the bike and looking forward to getting more rides on it. Give me a shout if you have any questions on it.

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    For the pad rattle, spread the springs a couple of mm. This will fix it and I do it on every bike before installing the pads.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I did that when I was bleeding the brakes but will try to spread them further.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Good feedback. How's the ride feel, especially plushness/small bump compliance and chatter vs the Megatower? Also, I like the idea of a split Shimano/Sram setup for the best of both. I'm guessing that would be a Sram shifter and derailleur paired with a Shimano Casette and Chain? Does the chain have to be Shimano is that case?
    2020 Ripmo AF

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    For the pad rattle, spread the springs a couple of mm. This will fix it and I do it on every bike before installing the pads.
    Had this happen on multiple Shimano brakes (road and MTB) recently.

What fixed this for me was actually purchasing a new wider spring.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    On my Megatower, I switched to a Fox X2 shock which helped lots vs the stock RS. That said, I always felt I had to run lower pressure/more sag than I would have liked in order to get small bump compliance. I do not feel the same on the Ripmo but am not sure if that is to do with linkage, geometry, traction tune but even without lots of tuning, I am feeling better on the Ripmo.

From what I have read before I think that people have run SRAM shifter and derailleur and all the rest Shimano but am not sure.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Had this happen on multiple Shimano brakes (road and MTB) recently.

What fixed this for me was actually purchasing a new wider spring.

Is there a wider spring option?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    On my Megatower, I switched to a Fox X2 shock which helped lots vs the stock RS. That said, I always felt I had to run lower pressure/more sag than I would have liked in order to get small bump compliance. I do not feel the same on the Ripmo but am not sure if that is to do with linkage, geometry, traction tune but even without lots of tuning, I am feeling better on the Ripmo.

From what I have read before I think that people have run SRAM shifter and derailleur and all the rest Shimano but am not sure.
    Thanks. I also had read that the Megatower was not the most plush/supple bike but very stable at speeds. I demo'd a Hightower 2 and Bronson 3 and they were both very plush, maybe just slightly more so than the new Ripmo with light tune shock. I'd love to test out a Ripmo with a coil to see just how supple it can get. Sadly, we just got hammered by 3-6' of snow so that's out for a while!
    2020 Ripmo AF

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    The XTR shifting is amazing and it does not seem to make much difference if you are shifting under load or not. I am still getting used to the shifter ergonomics and at the lever it feels sloppy a bit vs SRAM. I canít help but think that AXS shifters and the rest Shimano may be the best of both worlds but I am really happy with it as it is.
    I was actually just looking into this. I'm also not a fan of the Shimano shifter feel.. I've always preferred the feel of SRAM shifters (non-AXS anyway). But, I'm anxious to try out my SLX build because of all the positive things I heard/read about Shimano 12 speed.

The other issue I have is that since I also prefer SRAM brakes, I've swapped my SLX for SRAM G2 and now I can't get the SLX shifter in a good position. What I would need is to get a SLX or XT shifter with the new I-SPEC EV mount, and then use a Matchmaker to EV adapter to position the shifter. The problem is no one is making that adapter, as far as I can tell. I even emailed Wolftooth to see if they were working on it. They didn't say yes or no, but I wouldn't count on it. It sounds like the geometry/shape of that mount combo is challenging.

What I'm now planning to do is get an X01 shifter to replace my SLX, and keep everything else Shimano. I can then use Matchmaker to position it, plus it will have the familiar SRAM feel. I found a few sites and videos that confirmed that you can now mix and match even shifters and derailleurs with the new 12 speed. Apparently they now use the same pull ratio which wasn't the case with the previous generation. Obviously this is only for cable operated, if you're talking AXS then you would need both derailleur and shifter/controller.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Finally a little good news. My XL frame w X2 in Zapper Blue just landed. Looks cool, just waiting on the headset.

mtbr member
    I can get my head around most things MTB, but crank standards elude me. If I were to want a RaceFace Next R crankset for my covid-19 delayed Ripmo 2, is this correct?

- 136mm spindle size
    - BSA CINCH 30mm 68/73mm width BB

mtbr member
    Just picked up a large V2 locally a few days ago. Had ordered it a while ago.

Anyone else notice a big difference in fit between V1 and V2?

My V2 feels way longer and larger than the V1 I rode initially, and I know it is larger - but I feel like I should have picked up a Medium instead of this large.

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sketchbook View Post
    Just picked up a large V2 locally a few days ago. Had ordered it a while ago.

Anyone else notice a big difference in fit between V1 and V2?

My V2 feels way longer and larger than the V1 I rode initially, and I know it is larger - but I feel like I should have picked up a Medium instead of this large.
    Difference is the large is minimal over V1. Other sizes are more significant

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Just curious, how tall are you? I have not ridden a V1 but am just under 6ft and love the fit of the large. I did spec a 40mm stem though which may have helped some.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Well, I'm (eventually) back on an Ibis. I placed my order for a frame (med gray w/ X2) with my local shop yesterday, after test riding a buddy's AF. I've been looking for a bike really similar to my carbon Sentinel that is more progressive and pedals a bit better. After the virus outbreak, I decided I'd narrow my list to bikes I could get through my local shop to support them. I considered a Megatower (liked how it handled but disliked the stock shock tune) and Enduro (don't need that much travel, don't want a bike even longer than my Sentinel, and my 2018 Fox 36 isn't upgrade-able to 170mm). Geometry-wise, I'll end up with exactly the same wheelbase, a slightly steeper STA for more efficient pedaling, slightly roomier cockpit, and slightly steeper HTA for quicker handling in tight sections. I'm really excited about being able to mash on the pedals to accelerate out of turns, without losing a bunch of energy into the suspension. Dropping ~1 lb off the frame will be nice too.

The shop told me the delivery date is unknown, for obvious reasons. The owner said when he checked a few weeks ago, it was looking like July/August, but it's hard to know now with the shelter in place. He was optimistic that the line would get shorter though, since he expects a lot of people and shops to cancel orders due to the recession.

I do have one question for those of you who have some time on the Ripmo 2 or 1: has the paint quality improved since ~2014, or does it still chip if you look at it funny? I'm considering whether I need to order a RideWrap. I had a Mojo HDR 650b a few years ago, and that chipped and scratched super easily.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    The black V1 has the best paint I have ever seen on a bike. Seems you can do almost anything with it and it do not even scratch. Amazing.

Does not chip as my Santa Cruz Hightower did just by looking at it

Unfortunately the gray V2 does not seem to have the same type of matte paint as the black V1 but I am not sure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    I do have one question for those of you who have some time on the Ripmo 2 or 1: has the paint quality improved since ~2014, or does it still chip if you look at it funny? I'm considering whether I need to order a RideWrap. I had a Mojo HDR 650b a few years ago, and that chipped and scratched super easily.
    Unfortunately not, unless they made a significant improvement with the new Ripmo. I had a few V4 Ripleys last year with less-than-acceptable paint jobs. Pretty disappointing for such a great bike otherwise.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Unfortunately not, unless they made a significant improvement with the new Ripmo. I had a few V4 Ripleys last year with less-than-acceptable paint jobs. Pretty disappointing for such a great bike otherwise.
    Black or blue?

I am really happy with my black one.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Thanks. Disappointing, but helpful. Both Ripmo2 finishes are gloss (like the Ripleys), which is probably more brittle than the matte finishes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast