Ibis Ripmo Crank Length Thread (or any other model)- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 26 of 26
  1. #1
    Ride On!
    Reputation: NorCalTaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    962

    Ibis Ripmo Crank Length Thread (or any other model)

    Thought I would start a thread as it seems to be a popular off-topic detour that has popped-up on the new Ibis Ripmo V2 thread. The idea is intriguing and got me wandering if the 5-10 difference would be for me as I run 175mm GX Dub cranks. Don't have that many pedal strikes anymore but do acknowledge that "one" can be too many and end-up in an emergency room visit.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JoePAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    5,690
    175mm just like all my other Mtn bikes. Road bike is 172.5. I do get pedal strikes, but that is from poor technique and 99% of the time I don't crash when I tap a pedal.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", 19' Vassago Optimus Ti SS 29", '19 Ibis Ripmo, XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    702
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    175mm just like all my other Mtn bikes. Road bike is 172.5. I do get pedal strikes, but that is from poor technique and 99% of the time I don't crash when U tap a pedal.
    Well of course you don't crash when we tap a pedal, Joe.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    314
    I run 170's now, after just assuming 175's were figured out to best a long time ago. 5mm makes a difference. I don't agree with JKW's opinion of a real low BB on the Ripmo, certainly not enough to make me consider 165's.
    9:Zero:7 Whiteout
    Ibis Ripley LS v2
    Ibis Ripmo

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,480
    Used to always do 175's, now always do 170's (even on road bike), may even go to 165's at some point. I see no drawback. No difference in power and more comfortable for the upper leg, and way less pedal strikes than 175's. My hip flexors (particularly my tensor fascia lataes) notice 10mm less flexion more than I would ever notice a loss of a watt or 2.
    Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD5
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    31
    I'm riding really rocky terrain with 175s on a Ripmo AF. Lots of pedal strikes. Going to give 165s a try

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    843
    I have postulated the concept that smaller cranks are better w steep sta than they would have been on laid back sta bikes. They help to engage the patella with less angle on the kick over point. Similar result in how they say ovals are easier on your knees. I feel shorter cranks are a benefit. So go for it.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    381
    As JKW is running the Trust fork which has a higher A2C than the stock fork would this cause the bike to be a touch slacker and hence a lower BB. First I heard of BB strikes was in his videos and other online reviews have not mentioned it.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    702
    Quote Originally Posted by shiny View Post
    As JKW is running the Trust fork which has a higher A2C than the stock fork would this cause the bike to be a touch slacker and hence a lower BB. First I heard of BB strikes was in his videos and other online reviews have not mentioned it.
    A higher A2C would raise the bottom bracket

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    381
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    A higher A2C would raise the bottom bracket
    Well there goes that theory!

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bones2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    471
    Does not make sense for all to use same crank length if our legs are all different lengths. As far as power output shorter cranks encourage more spinning which is usually more efficient over time.
    Iím 5í7.5 and run 165 on my gravel bike after a fitting and love them. Running 170 on my Mojo 3. Iíve been demoing Ripley that have had 175 and they just feel wrong now. Not sure if Iím going 165 or 170 on my next bike. Yes itís true if you are standing the longer crank might generate more force on the downstroke but this is different then the power which is work/time.

    Some companyís are changing crank length by frame size. 165 for small, 170 for medium and 175 L/XL.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SoCal-Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    679
    I ran 175mm for years on many bikes. On my v1 Ripley it took awhile to re-learn pedal timing to avoid the strikes. When I bought my Ripmo a couple of years ago I figured Iíd try 170mm. I donít notice any downsides. I rarely get a moderate pedal strike. Minor brushes of rocks with a pedal happen here and there. They would definitely be harder with 175s.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SoCal-Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    679

    Ibis Ripmo Crank Length Thread (or any other model)

    Duplicate
    Last edited by SoCal-Rider; 02-21-2020 at 08:14 PM.

  14. #14
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    895
    Quote Originally Posted by Bones2 View Post
    Does not make sense for all to use same crank length if our legs are all different lengths. As far as power output shorter cranks encourage more spinning which is usually more efficient over time.
    Iím 5í7.5 and run 165 on my gravel bike after a fitting and love them. Running 170 on my Mojo 3. Iíve been demoing Ripley that have had 175 and they just feel wrong now. Not sure if Iím going 165 or 170 on my next bike. Yes itís true if you are standing the longer crank might generate more force on the downstroke but this is different then the power which is work/time.

    Some companyís are changing crank length by frame size. 165 for small, 170 for medium and 175 L/XL.
    Thank You. Opinions on crank lengths are about as useless as asking about bike sizing without mentioning your inseam.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    31
    So I went from 175s to 165s and had way less pedal strikes on rocky tech today. I did however use my 51 tooth gear more often. So nice not worrying about pedal strikes. I'm 5'11"

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    150
    I'm 5'7" and run 165s, I love being able to sneak in a pedal stroke or three whenever possible without as much fear of spiking a pedal. I noticed no loss in "pedal power" I figured if anything i would just get stronger and adapt.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    702
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicane32 View Post
    Thank You. Opinions on crank lengths are about as useless as asking about bike sizing without mentioning your inseam.
    Why does leg length matter for shorter cranks? I can see someone with longer legs having to adjust their seat a bit in comparison to someone with shorter legs, but it wouldn't seem harder for a long legged person to use shorter cranks (at least within the range we're talking here. In a lot of ways, they'd be even better off given the benefits of relaxing leg angles talked about in the scholarly research.

    Now if we were talking about moving to longer cranks, I can see the argument that it is more possible for a long legged person as it minimizes the downside of those same leg angles, but I can't really see why it would prevent them from using something like 165mm cranks.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    102
    I run 175mm on my 29er hardtail, and 165mm on my ripAF. My 165s were in the Bronson I had previous to the ripAF.

    I swap back and forth between the two bikes and don't notice much difference, other than I do run a smaller chainring (30t vs 32t) with the 165s. I find that with shorter cranks you have slightly less leverage, but, your feet turn a smaller circle, so slightly lower gearing and slightly higher average cadence makes sense.

    165s on modern FS bike just make sense, for me anyways. 10mm of extra ground clearance is a ton.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Davide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,110
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    175mm just like all my other Mtn bikes. Road bike is 172.5. I do get pedal strikes, but that is from poor technique and 99% of the time I don't crash when I tap a pedal.
    170 mm for about 20 years ... I could easily go to 165 and it might be a good idea because (a) it does limit pedal strikes to the ground, and (b) let you rise your seat, that helps, at least me, on the flats/uphill. Change in leverage is fairly irrelevant, at worst you'd be using a higher gear than you would with a longer crank ... but you'd never know it or notice the difference,

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    291
    I rode the original Ibis Ripmo and the new Ripmo V2 back-to-back for over 4 hours and 25 miles this week on some incredibly technical trails in Southern Utah.

    I didn't notice any more pedal strikes on one bike over the other... both with 170mm cranks. Been riding 170mm cranks for several years now. It's a non issue for me on the new Ibis Ripmo V2

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,649
    Quote Originally Posted by jason04 View Post
    I rode the original Ibis Ripmo and the new Ripmo V2 back-to-back for over 4 hours and 25 miles this week on some incredibly technical trails in Southern Utah.

    I didn't notice any more pedal strikes on one bike over the other... both with 170mm cranks. Been riding 170mm cranks for several years now. It's a non issue for me on the new Ibis Ripmo V2
    Hey Yum Yum, I know your comparison video is dropping next week, is this a comparison of v.1 and v.2 or v.2 and the Pivot switchblade?

    Oh yeah, what is a non issue? Is that crank length or pedal strikes?

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Velodonata's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    776
    I went to 165mm cranks a couple of years ago and can't tell the difference other than reduced pedal strikes. A couple of riding buddies have too. Just yesterday I loaned my backup bike to another friend, we did a 25 mile ride. I'm 6' with a 31" inseam and he is significantly taller and long legged than I am. I mentioned to him after the ride that he had been on 165 cranks all day, and now for his upcoming build he wants to go with 165 too. Like me, he had been on 175 forever just because it was such a popular size. I know some people are more sensitive to crank length, but from what I have seen the majority of people can't really tell the difference and could benefit from shorter cranks.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Salami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    382
    I have an HD4 that I switched from 175mm to 170mm in the fall. I am 6' with a 33" inseam. I found I am having less hip and back pain when I ride along with less pedal strikes. I always ran longer cranks but not any more. I much prefer the 170's.

  24. #24
    Ride On!
    Reputation: NorCalTaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    962
    Quote Originally Posted by Salami View Post
    I have an HD4 that I switched from 175mm to 170mm in the fall. I am 6' with a 33" inseam. I found I am having less hip and back pain when I ride along with less pedal strikes. I always ran longer cranks but not any more. I much prefer the 170's.
    Hmmm, had not put too much thought to it, but I have been experiencing some hip pain after long rides. Got me thinking some 170's may help that out, thanks!

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    291
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev. 14 View Post
    Hey Yum Yum, I know your comparison video is dropping next week, is this a comparison of v.1 and v.2 or v.2 and the Pivot switchblade?

    Oh yeah, what is a non issue? Is that crank length or pedal strikes?
    Yeah, v1 vs v2 video will be uploaded in 2 weeks 'ish and I'll upload the v2 vs sb video next week.

    Pedal strikes on the new Ripmo v2 was a non issue for me as in, I really didn't get any on this ride and it wasn't any worse than most other bikes in the category.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    507
    Noticed my crank boots extend about 4 mm which is relevant when we're talking about 5-10 mm making a difference. Also, if you're on platforms, that can reduce it even more, at least in regards to reduced clearance over a wider area.

Similar Threads

  1. Ibis Ripmo V2 Thread
    By Velorangutan in forum Ibis
    Replies: 276
    Last Post: 24 Minutes Ago, 04:03 PM
  2. Ibis RipMo vs Ibis HD5
    By me and my bike in forum Ibis
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-30-2019, 01:45 AM
  3. RipMo crank arm length?
    By CactusJackSlade in forum Ibis
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 10-15-2019, 05:06 PM
  4. Replies: 46
    Last Post: 02-10-2019, 08:43 AM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-02-2019, 02:46 PM

Members who have read this thread: 135

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.