Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast
    fc
    head minion Administrator

Ibis Ripmo - 145/160mm long travel 29er

Here it is! Not the first to market but a special one indeed in this crazy competitive arena.

My two takeaways after riding it the last couple weeks:

"The Ripmo not only allows me to use a 170mm dropper post for my 5’7” stature, it allows me to go even longer. I can now choose a dropper post length based on my preference, not what the bike will allow. "

"With its combination its combination of long reach, steep seat angle and dw-link geometry, the Ripmo delivers two bikes in one. It’s a bike that can descend with authority and one that’s not afraid to climb. "

Ibis Ripmo first look - Mtbr.com

Ibis Ripmo - 145/160mm long travel 29er-blue-woods.jpg

Ibis Ripmo - 145/160mm long travel 29er-desktop40.jpg

Ibis Ripmo - 145/160mm long travel 29er-dropped-1024x680.jpg

Ibis Ripmo - 145/160mm long travel 29er-img_3069.jpg

Ibis Ripmo - 145/160mm long travel 29er-img_4900.jpg

Ibis Ripmo - 145/160mm long travel 29er-img_4901.jpg

Ibis Ripmo - 145/160mm long travel 29er-img_4951.jpg

Ibis Ripmo - 145/160mm long travel 29er-img_4960.jpg

Ibis Ripmo - 145/160mm long travel 29er-img_5019.jpg

Ibis Ripmo - 145/160mm long travel 29er-screen-shot-2018-03-26-6.31.52-am.jpg

Ibis Ripmo - 145/160mm long travel 29er-weight-1024x677.jpg

Ibis Ripmo first look - Mtbr.com
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Interesting to see their social activation's on this today as well. Do you think we'll see these at demo days on the Ibis truck or is it too new?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    What's the fork offset on this? Is it not 51?

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Quote Originally Posted by rb_daniel View Post
    44mm
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rb_daniel View Post
    44mm
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Thanks. Looks amazing. I loved my Ripley v.1 but wanted more travel.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Got an email that says a local shop already has demos.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    FC is that size small or medium in the pictures?

Also can someone explain to me why 44mm offset (instead of 51mm) makes the HA "feel" like 64.5? Doesn't the smaller offset shorten the wheelbase and make it feel steeper? Please enlighten me?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothmoose View Post

Also can someone explain to me why 44mm offset (instead of 51mm) makes the HA "feel" like 64.5? Doesn't the smaller offset shorten the wheelbase and make it feel steeper? Please enlighten me?
    I believe that by reducing the fork offset, it increases the trail distance which makes the front end more stable. If you recall the original Ripley made the move to a 51mm fork offset in order to reduce the trail and increase the nimbleness of the 29er front end.

The trail distance on the Ripmo is noted as 118mm while on the Ripley LS it is 97mm, due to the slacker head angle compared to the OG Ripley's trail at 80mm w/ 120mm fork and 90mm with the 140mm fork.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Pride View Post
    Interesting to see their social activation's on this today as well. Do you think we'll see these at demo days on the Ibis truck or is it too new?
    We'll see this in the Demo Days for sure. Their warehouse is full stocked and the dealers have it today already. They've mobilized with inventory and capital like no other bike before.

I still think they're gonna run out. . It's a good bike.
    IPA will save America

fc

It is a medium with 170mm ks lev dropper. Worked really well for my 5'7" and 30 inseam.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    So how does one obtain a 44 OS fork when buying frame only?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Bye bye eccentrics..nice!
    THE RIDESTOKE COLLECTIVE
    https://ridestoke.com

mtbr member
    I heard about this over the weekend, what a nice bike!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Hey all (Hans in particular) I suspect I am not alone in asking this...I am interested in moving to a ripmo frame and swapping my parts over from a Ripley, this includes my 140mm fork with a 51 offset...any thoughts on what this would do to geometry? Of course I will move to the full fork when I can, but as an interim?
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ianthom View Post
    Hey all (Hans in particular) I suspect I am not alone in asking this...I am interested in moving to a ripmo frame and swapping my parts over from a Ripley, this includes my 140mm fork with a 51 offset...any thoughts on what this would do to geometry? Of course I will move to the full fork when I can, but as an interim?
    Thanks!
    I've done that and it's a really fun ride - some people will love it that way. You know who you are ; ). The thing to watch out for is pedal strikes. If you use lower profile pedals, keep the sag at 25% and don't run too small of tires, it works very well. Built with a 140 34 fork with go-fast tires (that aren't too small), it is an amazing all around machine. When you switch back to 160 fork and more capable tires, it doesn't slow it down much on the climbs (primarily the rolling resistance of the tires) and it is so fun and fast on the descents that it's the way most people will build it.
    H

mtbr member
    Jul 2016

Your'e totally right and a first review over at NSMB.COM pretty much confirmes it :
    "Out front, the shorter offset with the 66-degree head angle creates a sense of the front wheel being really close to the rider and coupled with the stock 50mm stem, gave a feeling akin to riding a bike with a 70mm–100mm stem. Through tight turns the front wheel seems to want to tuck under earlier than experienced on similarly angled bikes on the same sections of trail. It’s a sensation experienced during both climbs and on descents and it’s a little unnerving. It has never tucked to this point, however, it’s not a feeling that inspires confidence in those scenarios"

https://nsmb.com/articles/ibis-ripmo-29-inch-brawler/

It almost looks like they wanted to use a new "buzzward" in the marketing department (short offset) and not actually understanding the effect of it on the trail ,.
    I say almost as i have allot of respect for Ibis so it would be interesting to hear from them about this specific subject.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by hanssc View Post
    I've done that and it's a really fun ride - some people will love it that way. You know who you are ; ). The thing to watch out for is pedal strikes. If you use lower profile pedals, keep the sag at 25% and don't run too small of tires, it works very well. Built with a 140 34 fork with go-fast tires (that aren't too small), it is an amazing all around machine. When you switch back to 160 fork and more capable tires, it doesn't slow it down much on the climbs (primarily the rolling resistance of the tires) and it is so fun and fast on the descents that it's the way most people will build it.
    H
    Hans,

Can I use a Fox 34 140mm, 51mm offset? It even 150?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Thanks mate...really appreciate the reply...
    This could be trouble

mtbr member
    looks nice! Geo is exactly what I was hoping the HTLT would hit when it came out.

Quote Originally Posted by bogeydog View Post
    Hans,

10mm of fork is .5 degrees
    fox 34 29er only goes to 140mm
    51 offset will be fine. I have tried both and like 44 better but it's a small change.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bogeydog View Post
    Hans,

Yes.

H

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    10mm of fork is .5 degrees
    fox 34 29er only goes to 140mm
    51 offset will be fine. I have tried both and like 44 better but it's a small change.
    What is the pro and cons of it?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Love it! Just the internal routing has been bummed as I run rear brake on left and prefer to cross my cables over headtube for a neater look..first world problems. Time to start saving!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbcoke View Post
    It almost looks like they wanted to use a new "buzzward" in the marketing department (short offset) and not actually understanding the effect of it on the trail ,.
    That was my initial thought too. Transition went the opposite direction and slackened the HA to work with the shorter offset (and longer reach, shorter stem), yet the Ripmo is two degrees steeper than the Sentinel despite most of the other numbers being fairly similar. 66* is pretty conservative by modern standards for a 160/140 29er IMO, not sure why you'd want the shorter offset fork to go with it too, perhaps make the wheelbase numbers a little less "scary" for the traditionalists?

Other than that it's a damn sexy looking bike, just with a ridiculous name....

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Damn. Where is that piggy bank and hammer...

mtbr member
    I was a bit disappointed from the looks when the first spy shots came up but i have to admit now,it's damn sexy!

My only concerns are the bushings in the lower linkage and some negative comments i've read from some ppl about the paint quality on Ibis bikes (HD4 in particular)..

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by GSJ1973 View Post
    Damn. Where is that piggy bank and hammer...
    Piggy, meet hammer.

Paypal is the new piggy bank. Secret funds. No paper trail, leave no trace.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EV07 View Post
    My only concerns are the bushings in the lower linkage and some negative comments i've read from some ppl about the paint quality on Ibis bikes (HD4 in particular)..
    I've had 20+ Ibis bikes in my demo fleet over the last three years (including the HD4), and have never seen a single issue with the paint. FWIW.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    I've had 20+ Ibis bikes in my demo fleet over the last three years (including the HD4), and have never seen a single issue with the paint. FWIW.
    That's good to know,thanks for your info..

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    That was my initial thought too. Transition went the opposite direction and slackened the HA to work with the shorter offset (and longer reach, shorter stem), yet the Ripmo is two degrees steeper than the Sentinel despite most of the other numbers being fairly similar. 66* is pretty conservative by modern standards for a 160/140 29er IMO, not sure why you'd want the shorter offset fork to go with it too, perhaps make the wheelbase numbers a little less "scary" for the traditionalists?

Other than that it's a damn sexy looking bike, just with a ridiculous name....
    The geo of the Ripmo is very similar to the updated Smuggler, rather than the Sentinel.

Any word on leverage curve and whether the Ripmo might be coil compatible?

Went from a Mojo 3 to a Nomad 4 Coil, and this might split the difference perfectly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by makersmike View Post
    The geo of the Ripmo is very similar to the updated Smuggler, rather than the Sentinel.
    Main difference between the Sentinel and Smuggler are travel and HTA. Reach, tt, sta etc etc are pretty much the same. The Ripmo has Sentinel travel and Smuggler geo. Not sure if that makes it a good in-betweener, or the worst of both words with the sharper handling without the poppy playful feel of shorter travel (or the inefficiency of longer travel without the geo to make the most of it). Guess that is up to whoever is riding it.

mtbr member
    My local shop just informed me that blue larges are now backordered for 8 weeks. WTF!!!!

Who's doing their forecasting?

Schipperkes are cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by EV07 View Post
    My only concerns are the bushings in the lower linkage
    This Ibis IGUS bushing system is Not like any other frame companies that used bushings; Spec/Klein/Trek/Turner/Etc.....
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.
    I ride so slow, your Garmin will shut off.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Haven't heard anything official, but it looks like Lopes has a coil on his with (though he mentions it needed some working to add bottom out resistance)

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bgyz5kJj...-by=brianlopes
    Ibis Ripmo - 145/160mm long travel 29er-ripmo_coil.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Per Ibis’ website, the bushings are guaranteed for life.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by packfill View Post
    My local shop just informed me that blue larges are now backordered for 8 weeks. WTF!!!!

Who's doing their forecasting?
    Any idea about black larges?

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Would I regret not upgrading to the float x2? I've never ridden a float x2 or dpx2 so not much to really compare with. Most of my rides are pedally over undulating terrain with some bike park days.

Also, any thoughts on a 51 offset 160 fork? I'm thinking of building frame up but I'm not seeing much for 44 offset forks right now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    would be v interested to see how this compares to a hightower LT and Yeti 5.5. Currently love my M3 but been considering a 29er.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I think the best bike comparison is the Orbea Rallon not the Sentinel. Pretty close on numbers, just 5 mm in the rear and 0.5 degrees on the HA. On the XL, the wheelbase is almost exact. And that makes me very happy, I wanted a DW version of the Rallon, and now I have that option with a few possible better features and a better daily driver. Now, I’m just waiting for a call from my LBS to tell me when I can pick mine up.

AOK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottay View Post
    So how does one obtain a 44 OS fork when buying frame only?
    Not exactly 44 but you can order a MRP Ribbon with 46mm offset.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I placed an order today for size XL, blue w X2. Was told I'll be in batch 1 but I'm not selling my Wreckoning till I receive the shipping notice. ETA was 3 weeks but we'll see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Quote Originally Posted by gbcoke View Post
    Your'e totally right and a first review over at NSMB.COM pretty much confirmes it :
    "Out front, the shorter offset with the 66-degree head angle creates a sense of the front wheel being really close to the rider and coupled with the stock 50mm stem, gave a feeling akin to riding a bike with a 70mm–100mm stem. Through tight turns the front wheel seems to want to tuck under earlier than experienced on similarly angled bikes on the same sections of trail. It’s a sensation experienced during both climbs and on descents and it’s a little unnerving. It has never tucked to this point, however, it’s not a feeling that inspires confidence in those scenarios"

https://nsmb.com/articles/ibis-ripmo-29-inch-brawler/

I say almost as i have allot of respect for Ibis so it would be interesting to hear from them about this specific subject.
    I think they are being dramatic. Going from a 64.5 degree angle to a 66 degree head angle shortens the wheelbase by 15mm. The shorter offset fork, another 7mm. So we are talking less than 1 inch. A moderate change, but nothing that warrants the comments.

As far as the effect of offset, a shorter offset fork slows down handling, a longer one speeds it up. When discussing head angle and offset, trail is what should be used, as it takes both into account. Bike designers don't think in terms of head angle, they think in trail. 118 mm of trail is a pretty stable bike and identical to the HD4. Put a 51mm offset fork on and you are at 111mm of trail, a bit faster. To give you an idea, in the old days of NORBA hardtails, we were running 70-75 mm of trail. Tire size also affects trail. A handy calculator to play with.

Bicycle Trail Calculator | yojimg.net
    Last edited by Cary; 03-26-2018 at 09:56 PM.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Went from a Mojo 3 to a Nomad 4 Coil, and this might split the difference perfectly.
    I think it will be a while for a linkage analysis. I put it in linkage design and was getting completely wonky numbers, until I realized the upper rear link does not correspond to the same point as the rear of the yoke. Without carefully measuring where that pivot is, there is no way to tell by taking a side shot and importing it into linkage design (and even using a photo only gives an approximation).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cary View Post
    I think they are being dramatic. Going from a 64.5 degree angle to a 66 degree head angle shortens the wheelbase by 15mm. The shorter offset fork, another 7mm. So we are talking less than 1 inch. A moderate change, but nothing that warrants the comments.

As far as the effect of offset, a shorter offset fork slows down handling, a longer one speeds it up. When discussing head angle and offset, trail is what should be used, as it takes both into account. Bike designers don't think in terms of head angle, they think in trail. 118 mm of trail is a pretty stable bike and identical to the HD4. Put a 51mm offset fork on and you are at 125mm of trail, even more stable. To give you an idea, in the old days of NORBA hardtails, we were running 70-75 mm of trail. Tire size also affects trail. A handy calculator to play with.

Bicycle Trail Calculator | yojimg.net
    mmm, doesn't trail go to "111" with the 51mm offset if you have 118mm with a 44mm offset?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    The Geo chart didn't list BB height. Any one know what it is?

mtbr member
    Hoping to build my large (black/green) frame up this Wednesday, weather has finally cleared, all systems go for fun next weekend :-)
    Largest NorCal XC Race Series
    http://www.bicyclingevents.com
    http://www.UavTechReview.com
    Best in the West!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Nice ordered large black and was told 2 to 3 weeks..well see how it goes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    The Geo chart didn't list BB height. Any one know what it is?
    I believe it was 13.43

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Quote Originally Posted by bizango View Post
    mmm, doesn't trail go to "111" with the 51mm offset if you have 118mm with a 44mm offset?
    Oops, yes. Went back and fixed my post.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Oops, yes.

Isn't it going from 44mm to 51mm increasing offset?

Edit: I just saw you edited your post...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Oops, yes. Went back and fixed my post.
    Yep. Adding fork offset reduces the trail value and reducing fork offset adds to the trail.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by motoguru2007 View Post
    I believe it was 13.43
    Perfect! Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Fork offset reduces "trail/rake". Slacker HA and larger diameter wheels increase trail/rake. The higher the trail/rake, the stronger the auto-centering effect. The faster you go, the more you can feel the auto-centering effect resist the effects of steering. Test this going downhill on pavement---try to turn the handlebar going 30 MPH and it'll resist it greatly and will return to going straight forward. This stability you get is from the steering, allowing you to ride with a loose grip and encourages carving.

Wheel flop is the side effect of high trail/rake. You encounter flop when you steer away from straight/center, and the weight of the bike and rider force the wheel to turn excessively. Generally, forward speed will create an auto-centering force to counter the flop, but when you're going slow you will notice the flop in full effect. This is what's referred to poor low-speed handling. For example, say you're riding single file on a single track climb and someone in front of you stalls and you're forced to slow down; if you turn to avoid their rear wheel, you can often get into a trap of flopping to one side, and overcorrecting from that flop, and overcorrecting your overcorrection that flopped. The flop throws you off balance, impedes forward momentum, and makes you panic since you're pointed off line/trail.

Wheel flop works on the simple principle that when you turn your wheel, the point at which the tire contacts the ground moves forward from directly under the hub, to along the steering axis. This drops the bike's frame lower, with the weight of it and your body helping it fall into its "low point". If a bike has a low point that comes too soon (the bike rests with wheel only slightly turned), the bike may feel difficult to turn sharply--increasing the trail/rake will make the wheel flop further and make turning sharper come more naturally.

To further complicate this, this all changes as the bike pitches up and down, as and the tire contact point changes. Try to roll off a drop, to level ground below, and your HA effectively becomes super steep when your front wheel touches down. Roll into a rock, and you have negative trail since your contact point just moved forward of the steering axis. Slacker HA and shorter offset designs may take these into account, making both of these seem more stable (in terms of steering). On the other hand, if you try to roll up a tall rock with a flat/platform top, the wheel can flop severely if you happen to turn it, effectively stalling you out, so you have to take very careful measures to keep it straight. Climbing up and managing to steer around technical rolling rock sections takes a bit more deliberate planning with line choice and skill with longer trail/rake bikes--it'll be extremely hard to climb up a ledge and turn tightly and maintain balance, so you have to elongate the curve as much as possible, while maintaining momentum to avoid the dreaded wheel flop that will stall you out and throw you off balance.

There's a sweet spot that depends on your riding style. Some people like to sit in the saddle and pedal fast on singletrack, steering the bike around trees at a moderate speed (~12 MPH), who will appreciate more direct steering. Those who like to carve at 18+ MPH will appreciate the increased trail. That's the reason why the bikes are billed to be more XC-oriented and others more gravity-oriented. Everything in between is a mess of compromises that promise this and that if you throw $$$$ at the problem.

Sorry for the wordy post. I'm eyeing a Ripley OG cause it's the only 29er with a 1100mm wheelbase. I'm expecting the pendulum of trends to swing back to the shorter more playful bikes of old, and I just don't like the smaller wheel sizes. I suppose I'm just writing to better organize my thoughts.

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Main difference between the Sentinel and Smuggler are travel and HTA. Reach, tt, sta etc etc are pretty much the same. The Ripmo has Sentinel travel and Smuggler geo. Not sure if that makes it a good in-betweener, or the worst of both words with the sharper handling without the poppy playful feel of shorter travel (or the inefficiency of longer travel without the geo to make the most of it). Guess that is up to whoever is riding it.
    Indeed. Kinda had my heart set on Carbon Smuggler but this is an interesting option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2014
    It would be superb if someone from Ibis could comment on the leverage curve for the suspension. How is it compared to the HD4?
    Then we would not have to deal with some wonky approximations from a dude with a picture of the bike and an engineering software.
    Instagram: "lubbduro"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by karmaphi View Post
    Sorry for the wordy post.
    Great write up! It's a fairly new thing to be thinking about for most riders (including this one) and it takes a bit to get your head around it all.

I'm still a bit sceptical about their claim of "makes it feel like a 64.5* HA with regular 51mm offset", surely there's more to a bikes handling/steering it than just the trail number. Slacker HA will put the fork at a better angle for absorbing impacts, and is less inclined to dive under braking (and of course there are trade-offs too). Kinda seems like they're over-simplifying it, or maybe just marketing...

mtbr member
    Excellent and informative, karmaphi. All new info for me.

the refurbished one
    so, if i put an 51mm fork on it will do what compared to the 44mm?
    will it be a tad less stable and steer a bit quicker. so, no real big changes?
    do i get that right?
    Sokrates is dead, Galilei is dead, Newton is dead, Einstein is dead, Pantani is dead and i am feeling sick too.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Hans - Will you have demo bikes at Sea Otter? Great looking bike Ibis!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hball View Post
    do i get that right?
    Mostly true, but the wheel base will get that much longer, which has its own affect on handling and stability.

Living the Dream
    Mostly true, but the wheel base will get that much longer, which has its own affect on handling and stability.
    Will a 46mm fork be a noticeable change from the 44 it was designed for? I ask because I want to run an MRP Ribbon and they just come in 46 & 51mm offsets. Thanks,
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

the refurbished one
    can you say by how much?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpenglow View Post
    Will a 46mm fork be a noticeable change from the 44 it was designed for? I ask because I want to run an MRP Ribbon and they just come in 46 & 51mm offsets. Thanks,
    i feel your pain. same "problem" here.
    Sokrates is dead, Galilei is dead, Newton is dead, Einstein is dead, Pantani is dead and i am feeling sick too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    do i get that right?
    If you are used to 51° and like how a bike handles with it, you'll be fine. Or you might prefer 46° offset since it's more in the middle.
    51° Is better for slower speed and S turns 42° is better for high speed and longer turns. 51° feels like it wants to wander in turns 42° feels like it wants to tuck the wheel under the bike if turned too quickly felt more ins S turns.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Quote Originally Posted by lubb1 View Post
    It would be superb if someone from Ibis could comment on the leverage curve for the suspension. How is it compared to the HD4?
    Then we would not have to deal with some wonky approximations from a dude with a picture of the bike and an engineering software.
    Hey, I resemble that remark, but you forgot the part where I can barely use it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I personally like 46° better for 29er, doesn't feel like it wants to tuck under, but calms the nervous searching for a line feeling of 51°

mtbr member
    I get the feeling that we’re splitting hairs with the different offsets discussion.

However, the «tucking under» comment from NSMB was interessting. No other reviewer mentioned this. An initial feeling due to unfamiliarity or a something that will annoy over time?

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by simenf View Post
    I get the feeling that we’re splitting hairs with the different offsets discussion.

However, the «tucking under» comment from NSMB was interessting. No other reviewer mentioned this. An initial feeling due to unfamiliarity or a something that will annoy over time?
    Maybe no one else came upon a very tight downhill corner. We have countless corners here, and there is only one where I've felt front end tuck.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

MSH
    mtbr member
    ^^ this. I have to hold off on getting the Ripmo to replace my Hightower since I just picked up a Spot Mayhem to replace my v1 Ripley, but I just plan on running my 51 offset Lyrik I have on my Hightower when I pick up the Ripmo later this season.

Mike Kazimer from Pinkbike actually swapped between 44 and 51 offset forks when he reviewed the Sentinel ( https://www.pinkbike.com/news/transi...view-2017.html and he didn't find any statistical difference between the two offsets when he timed his runs at Whistler. Sounds like he preferred the feel of the 44 though...

I've been answering all sorts of questions about offset lately, many from riders who are worried about getting left behind by some sort of new “standard.” Should you rush out and buy a fork with the least amount of offset you can find? Well, no. The amount of offset does make a noticeable handling difference, but it's not as cut and dry as saying that X amount of offset is bad and Y amount of offset is good – there's more to it than that, and installing a fork with the least amount of offset possible isn't going to automatically turn your bike into a magical shred sled.

I spent a day in the bike park switching back and forth between two Fox 36 forks, the one that came on the Sentinel, which has 44mm of offset, and one with 51mm of offset, which is what the majority of 29ers are currently spec'd with. I started off by taking three laps on the stock fork, and then made the switch to the fork with 51mm of offset. The difference is very noticeable – the increased offset felt more like what I'm used to, and the bike felt livelier, but it was also easier to oversteer and wash out the front wheel – the feeling of unlimited front wheel traction that the 44mm offset fork delivered wasn't there anymore.

I timed all of my runs, but the numbers didn't end up indicating any statistically significant difference between the two offsets; I felt like I was able to adapt my riding style fairly quickly to both forks. After swapping back and forth between the two offsets it was clear that there are benefits to the stock, reduced offset fork on the Sentinel – namely better front wheel grip and more stability – but the bike works just fine with a 'regular' 51mm offset fork as well.

do i get that right?
    Your front center will be 7mm longer and the bike will initiate a turn a couple of percent faster. You will adapt within a ride or two and it will just feel normal.

Great write up! It's a fairly new thing to be thinking about for most riders (including this one) and it takes a bit to get your head around it all.

I'm still a bit sceptical about their claim of "makes it feel like a 64.5* HA with regular 51mm offset", surely there's more to a bikes handling/steering it than just the trail number. Slacker HA will put the fork at a better angle for absorbing impacts, and is less inclined to dive under braking (and of course there are trade-offs too). Kinda seems like they're over-simplifying it, or maybe just marketing...
    They are quoting the HTA with a 51mm fork that would have the same trail. Trail changes the speed of the steering and on center feedback. So it would feel "similar" to a steeper HTA without extending the wheelbase.

No. 2mm is a very small change will be an almost undetectable difference. Do it and don't look back

If you are used to 51° and like how a bike handles with it, you'll be fine. Or you might prefer 46° offset since it's more in the middle.
    51° Is better for slower speed and S turns 42° is better for high speed and longer turns. 51° feels like it wants to wander in turns 42° feels like it wants to tuck the wheel under the bike if turned too quickly felt more ins S turns.
    This is an Enduro bike, it is long, it is slack, if you can't make a tight switchback 7mm is not going to change that. I like the reduced offset at all speeds. The reduction in wheelbase puts more weight on the front wheel on my XXL bike. It adds a small amount of stability and a slightly more on center feel.

I personally like 46° better for 29er, doesn't feel like it wants to tuck under, but calms the nervous searching for a line feeling of 51°
    I agree and it's not just for 29ers. Offset is important on all wheel sizes.
    It is a tuning tool just like stem length, bar width........

Steering feel guide.
    long front center = slower
    wide handlebars = slower
    short fork offset = slower also reduces front center = faster.
    slacker HTA = slower
    bigger wheels = slower
    short rear stays = faster
    short stems = way faster

I have a old super V with a 170mm stem and 560mm bars with a 73 HTA and 38ish offset fork. It should be stupid fast steering, but it's not and the pivot point is so far back it feels like a boat tiller.

Get a 44 or a 46 if you ride medium or larger and try a 51 for toe overlap if you are on a small.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015

If you are in a tight turn and instead of a little front end drift the tire catches and the fork compresses at the same time. You won't OTB with a longer fork most likely but it can have the feeling it's about to happen.

Living the Dream
    Thanks!
    Your front center will be 7mm longer and the bike will initiate a turn a couple of percent faster. You will adapt within a ride or two and it will just feel normal.

They are quoting the HTA with a 51mm fork that would have the same trail. Trail changes the speed of the steering and on center feedback. So it would feel "similar" to a steeper HTA without extending the wheelbase.

No. 2mm is a very small change will be an almost undetectable difference. Do it and don't look back

This is an Enduro bike, it is long, it is slack, if you can't make a tight switchback 7mm is not going to change that. I like the reduced offset at all speeds. The reduction in wheelbase puts more weight on the front wheel on my XXL bike. It adds a small amount of stability and a slightly more on center feel.

I agree and it's not just for 29ers. Offset is important on all wheel sizes.
    It is a tuning tool just like stem length, bar width........

Steering feel guide.
    long front center = slower
    wide handlebars = slower
    short fork offset = slower also reduces front center = faster.
    slacker HTA = slower
    bigger wheels = slower
    short rear stays = faster
    short stems = way faster

I have a old super V with a 170mm stem and 560mm bars with a 73 HTA and 38ish offset fork. It should be stupid fast steering, but it's not and the pivot point is so far back it feels like a boat tiller.

Get a 44 or a 46 if you ride medium or larger and try a 51 for toe overlap if you are on a small.
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

mtbr member
    If you are in a tight turn and instead of a little front end drift the tire catches and the fork compresses at the same time. You won't OTB with a longer fork most likely but it can have the feeling it's about to happen.
    So it’s about more grip than expected? That sounds like a good thing I can get used to!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    So it’s about more grip than expected? That sounds like a good thing I can get used to!
    Since there isn't power driving the front this grip slows down the wheel, but a little counter steer, and you pick it back up, but you do have more traction with lower offset.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

170mm!!! I remember guys riding 150mm and saw 170mm stems for sale, but never actually saw one in use. Pictures are required.

170mm!!! I remember guys riding 150mm and saw 170mm stems for sale, but never actually saw one in use. Pictures are required.

Pictures or it didn't happen.
    Ibis Ripmo - 145/160mm long travel 29er-20160815_155609_zpsvu0fur1h.jpgIbis Ripmo - 145/160mm long travel 29er-20170511_084349.jpg

fc
    Here we go. Double rainbow!

Ibis Ripmo video and Q&A - Mtbr.com

Ibis Ripmo - 145/160mm long travel 29er-screen-shot-2018-03-27-11.50.10-am.jpg
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Do you have the seat post fully extended?
    The front looks pretty tall.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Hans,

I believe Jeff KW mentioned in his YouTube broadcast that the different frame sizes have slightly different leverage ratios and progressions. Was this achieved by changes in the shock tune or are there actually slightly different placements of the shock extension/linkage?

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Ooooooo

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sbd View Post
    Ooooooo

Very nice rig in the flesh. At just under 6-1 I was right between a large and XL. I think I'd go with an XL for my tastes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    What's the weight penalty of an Ibis Ripley LS vs Ripmo? Let's assume an X01 build with carbon wheels and the same tires.
    Correct number of bikes: n+1 bikes
    Correct body weight: m-10 pounds

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    A decent shiatt

mtbr member
    Can't say anything about the Ripmo other than it looks interesting. However, I can say that SBG is real. I don't have lots of time and of the little I do, about half was spent getting the balance point right. But once I did, there was no slow speed issues on tight switchbacks nor any sense of tuckunder at any time. I'm not a pro and can't tell differences in 1 degree of anything, but I do know that once I got the Smuggler figured (demo ride at Galbraith), it was a blast. Slow, fast, in between... doesn't matter. Climbed well, too. Did the Ripmo succeed with the Smuggler geo and Sentinel travel... or is it to much of a compromise? Time will tell!

mtbr member
    Looks like a Rallon...

If it rides like one, (so I'm told) it'll be wicked!!

'We'll all make it to the top... Some of us, might not make it to the bottom'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moto'n'PushBiker View Post
    What's the weight penalty of an Ibis Ripley LS vs Ripmo? Let's assume an X01 build with carbon wheels and the same tires.
    I’d like to know too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MSH View Post
    Mike Kazimer from Pinkbike actually swapped between 44 and 51 offset forks when he reviewed the Sentinel
    Matt from GG tested a 46mm Ribbon vs a 51mm offset Ribbon on the Smash. He posted his observations in the Smash thread in the GG sub-forum. Coles Notes. No difference in speed when timed, some difference in handling, but nothing revolutionary.

GG spec's their 29ers with 51mm offset forks unless the buyer requests a lower offset in which case they accommodate them.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I would say you should be good if you go by their team riders results in the opening round of the EWS this past weekend in Chile, He was running the DPX2 and not the X2 and the stages looked to have a fair bit f chunk and varying surfaces.
    Quote Originally Posted by carl s. View Post
    Would I regret not upgrading to the float x2? I've never ridden a float x2 or dpx2 so not much to really compare with. Most of my rides are pedally over undulating terrain with some bike park days.

Also, any thoughts on a 51 offset 160 fork? I'm thinking of building frame up but I'm not seeing much for 44 offset forks right now.
    Not to be a d1ck, but you do know offset is measured in MM right, not degrees, i.e. distance, not angle? Cool that you figured out how to get an actual degree type symbol though

One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Your comments about offset vs. turns at high & low speed is the opposite of everything I've read from companies like Transition and their SBG concept.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    Can't say anything about the Ripmo other than it looks interesting. However, I can say that SBG is real. I don't have lots of time and of the little I do, about half was spent getting the balance point right. But once I did, there was no slow speed issues on tight switchbacks nor any sense of tuckunder at any time. I'm not a pro and can't tell differences in 1 degree of anything, but I do know that once I got the Smuggler figured (demo ride at Galbraith), it was a blast. Slow, fast, in between... doesn't matter. Climbed well, too. Did the Ripmo succeed with the Smuggler geo and Sentinel travel... or is it to much of a compromise? Time will tell!
    Pretty much how I see it as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I’d like to know too.
    Ripmo frame weight is about the same or a little less than the LS so I would say none. Depends on components and fork choice

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    Hans,

I believe Jeff KW mentioned in his YouTube broadcast that the different frame sizes have slightly different leverage ratios and progressions. Was this achieved by changes in the shock tune or are there actually slightly different placements of the shock extension/linkage?
    They are the same.
    H

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coolhand80 View Post
    Ripmo frame weight is about the same or a little less than the LS so I would say none. Depends on components and fork choice

So only added weight from the Fox 36 and DPX2/X2? Could be as little as 3-400g?

mtbr member
    For those building their own....what headset does it need?.

mtbr member
    So only added weight from the Fox 36 and DPX2/X2? Could be as little as 3-400g?
    Ripmo frame weight is with the DPX2. 6 pounds. Same as LS frame with shock. So the 36 is only 200 grams or so heavier than a 34. That’s the only added weight over the LS. Put a Ribbon on the Ripmo and you basically have a bike the same weight as the LS with a Fox 34. No reason not to get a Ripmo. 🤪

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coolhand80 View Post
    Ripmo frame weight is with the DPX2. 6 pounds. Same as LS frame with shock. So the 36 is only 200 grams or so heavier than a 34. That’s the only added weight over the LS. Put a Ribbon on the Ripmo and you basically have a bike the same weight as the LS with a Fox 34. No reason not to get a Ripmo. 🤪

Thanks for removing any doubt, sir. Resistance is obviously futile.

I’ll shave those 200 g off the wheelset when going 942

mtbr member
    Thanks for removing any doubt, sir. Resistance is obviously futile.

I’ll shave those 200 g off the wheelset when going 942
    Glad to be of assistance

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottay View Post
    for those building their own....what headset does it need?.
    zs44/zs56
    Scarlett Johansson loves my hummus.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by juan_speeder View Post
    zs44/zs56
    Is the headset included?

The Jenson USA page says it is: Ibis Ripmo Frame | Jenson USA

The Jenson page has some other problems right now, so I'm not sure I trust it.

mtbr member
    Have a friend very interested in this and I have to say that I myself think it looks very nice, but way too much travel IMHO for most of the riding, so not on my radar.

My one question I have after carefully looking at the design, is why bring the dropper cable out and then back into the frame when there looks to be more than enough room to run it fully internal going up infront of the BB??
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast