Ibis Ripmo - 145/160mm long travel 29er - Page 20- Mtbr.com
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920
Results 1,901 to 1,981 of 1981
    mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Hi all, I'm trying to stay around $5k, wanted to get thoughts on how to get the best value out of the ripmo. GX build or NX build and upgrade suspension and or wheels?

Is the Grip 2 Factory fork worth $400 over the performance model?

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by yeti0200 View Post
    Hi all, I'm trying to stay around $5k, wanted to get thoughts on how to get the best value out of the ripmo. GX build or NX build and upgrade suspension and or wheels?

The GX has been great for me, I know a few people that have had problems with them but 2 out of the 3 seemed to be a lack of maintenance ( as in no maintenance as well as chain stretch over .75), but weight/durability/value gx all the way. IMO.
    I have ridden both and if I was going to do it again I would get the performance with the MRP ramp cartridge. I have the factory grip2 with the mrp ramp cartridge.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    NX appears to be a better value although it will be a bit heavier and upgrading later will be trickier since it uses the Shimano hub driver. I think Ibis sells the XD one for their hubs though. And I wouldn't bother with changing fork or wheels right away. You could add the Grip 2 damper for about $300 and it's a great upgrade but it'll take a week or two to setup hi/lo speed rebound and compression so if you don't like fiddling with suspension settings, it may not even be an upgrade. That being said, I'm glad I took the time to get it set up, it's really nice.

I'd get the NX build and upgrade brakes straight away and just ride it for a few hundred miles to see where you really want to spend the money. If it were me, I know I'd be looking for a lighter wheelset/tires before upgrading suspension.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I had this same question. I asked the guys at vorsprung and they said that the grip2 damper is absolutely worth the upgrade. I went for he gx build with upgraded fork. Too bad a scratched the damn stantion on my first ride.

ty4
    mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    I got the nx build and got my shop to put gx cassette and xt brakes on the nx cassette is heavy very impressed with the bike best mountain bike I've had

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    I went with the NX build and just upgraded the dropper post to a Bikeyoke 160. I will upgrade the drivetrain as they wear out. The next upgrade soon will be the brakes

mtbr member
    May 2013
    apologies if this in the wrong place but looking for some help. has anyone ridden both a Ripmo and a Guerilla Gravity Smash (carbon one ideally but that seems unlikely). i don't have access to demos where I live but my preferred local shop can get both of these and I'd love to hear how they compare if anyone has experience with both. I know they're different in a lot of ways but both seem to fit the bill as a one bike quiver that can do long rides but still be passable for a steep shuttle or park day. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2017

I did a deal with LBS and bought a NX worx build and the upgraded the brakes / drivetrain /bars /dropper & remote.The LBS gave me trade discount on the upgrade parts and the build cost substantially less than buying an XO build and then was able to sell the old parts on eBay as they were brand new in the plastic bags - even better saving!

However.... if you go with the NX build and want to switch to GX /XO1 later .... you will need to buy a replacement XD driver from IBIS for the upgraded cassette, so will need to add that to the cost of starting with NX. The rest of eagle you can mix and match.

I would 100% recommend having a chat with your LBS on the price or what they can do for. But open up a spreadsheet and work out the cost of switching the components yourself will give you an idea of costs.

The GRIP2 damper is brilliant, but needs time to dial in the settings vs the 3 position on FiT or performance level forks. Don’t forget that you can always upgrade the performance fork internals later to GRIP2 (so depends really if the gold coating is big thing for you).

Level T brakes I found terrible on demo ride and would recommend 100% switch them out and also the dropper remote to a wolf tooth (as otherwise you get the universal remote).

At the very minimum / first upgrade - get a wolf tooth remote

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Forgot to add the Mr Lost has a brilliant detailed video on tuning the GRIP2, well worth watching

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Lots of people really love the Smash. I owned the original alloy version. I thought fitment, geo and climbing ability were dialed. I couldn’t come to terms with the suspension kinematics in a super-rough, rocky environment.

Even with a so-so DPX2 shock, the Ripmo was worlds apart for me.

Both awesome companies.

Quote Originally Posted by pforward View Post
    apologies if this in the wrong place but looking for some help. has anyone ridden both a Ripmo and a Guerilla Gravity Smash (carbon one ideally but that seems unlikely). i don't have access to demos where I live but my preferred local shop can get both of these and I'd love to hear how they compare if anyone has experience with both. I know they're different in a lot of ways but both seem to fit the bill as a one bike quiver that can do long rides but still be passable for a steep shuttle or park day. Thanks!
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Hi all thanks for the thoughts on the various builds.

I demo'd a large ripmo last weekend and liked it except for 2 things, 1st - obviously the frame was a bit small as i'm close to 6'-3" so i should probably be on an XL, the shop put a 70mm stem of for me, 2nd - i experienced quite a bit of the front end wanting to lift on steep technical local climb (trail is cholla in aliso woods). It's unclear to me if the XL would make this worse with the extra reach. Down hill with the fox 36 factory fork the bike felt great - super plush.

Just got back from a yeti demo where I rode the SB150 in L and XL. L was too small but climbed well up the same trail and had no front wheel lift. XL was a better fit and again climbing was surprisingly good and only experienced a little bit of the front wheel wanting to lift. Downhill the front end was way too harsh which i attribute to improper setup of the same fox 36 factory fork.

I was pretty settled on the XL ripmo GX build with factory fork and was ready to buy but now i'm a little torn. Any idea how to limit the the front wheel lift besides of getting out of the saddle?

Any thoughts on ripmo vs sb150? Sry if this is the wrong thread for that question.

mtbr member
    May 2005

I demo'd a large ripmo last weekend and liked it except for 2 things, 1st - obviously the frame was a bit small as i'm close to 6'-3" so i should probably be on an XL, the shop put a 70mm stem of for me, 2nd - i experienced quite a bit of the front end wanting to lift on steep technical local climb (trail is cholla in aliso woods). It's unclear to me if the XL would make this worse with the extra reach. Down hill with the fox 36 factory fork the bike felt great - super plush.

Just got back from a yeti demo where I rode the SB150 in L and XL. L was too small but climbed well up the same trail and had no front wheel lift. XL was a better fit and again climbing was surprisingly good and only experienced a little bit of the front wheel wanting to lift. Downhill the front end was way too harsh which i attribute to improper setup of the same fox 36 factory fork.

I was pretty settled on the XL ripmo GX build with factory fork and was ready to buy but now i'm a little torn. Any idea how to limit the the front wheel lift besides of getting out of the saddle?

Any thoughts on ripmo vs sb150? Sry if this is the wrong thread for that question.
    The L Ripmo is way too small for you and you’re most likely compensating with too much weight over the rear end. An XL should center your weight much better. That or it may not be the perfect bike for you, possibly the Yeti is a better fit? I’m 6’1.5” and ride an XL Ripmo and love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    This ^^^

No way you should have bothered with a large at your height. I'm 6'2 and my buddy was demoing a Large Ripmo (mine was an XL). I pedaled it around and it was tiny. Like ridiculously small.

The Ripmo, properly sized, has one of the most planted front ends I've ever ridden.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    I don't disagree with the above but not sure I understand

Is the logic that with the longer reach, more weight would be over the bars and therefor more 'centered'? The reason i say i don't understand is because going from the L to the XL Sb150 i did notice the front wheel of the XL wanted to get off the ground slightly more and it has longer reach, among other dimensional changes. Surely reach isn't the only factor though.

Blatant your comment makes me feel better, do you recall what size stem your demo had? Are you lanky or more proportional? i have longish legs and roughly +2 ape index
    Last edited by yeti0200; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:18 PM.

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    I don't disagree with the above but not sure I understand

Is the logic that with the longer reach, more weight would be over the bars and therefor more 'centered'? The reason i say i don't understand is because going from the L to the XL Sb150 i did notice the front wheel of the XL wanted to get off the ground slightly more and it has longer reach, among other dimensional changes. Surely reach isn't the only factor though.

Blatant you're comment makes me feel better, do you recall what size stem your demo had? Are you lanky or more proportional? i have longish legs and roughly +2 ape index
    You should be on an XL 100%
    The longer the bike the less weight you put on the front threw your feet as the front/rear ratio changes. There are way to many variables to give you a specific setup that will work. Stem, bar width / height, seat potion, flexibility, fork offset, suspension setup all play a roll.
    XL with a 40-50 stem and 760-780 will make for a nice balanced playful feel. You will be able to center the saddle which will let you climb just about anything without the front wandering.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I have a 34 inseam and +2 ape. It was my buddy’s demo, I imagine a 50mm stem. I ran a 50 on my XL.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    You should be on an XL 100%
    The longer the bike the less weight you put on the front threw your feet as the front/rear ratio changes. There are way to many variables to give you a specific setup that will work. Stem, bar width / height, seat potion, flexibility, fork offset, suspension setup all play a roll.
    XL with a 40-50 stem and 760-780 will make for a nice balanced playful feel. You will be able to center the saddle which will let you climb just about anything without the front wandering.
    thanks i hope you're right lol. I'm with you on the XL over L for sure, hopefully i didn't make it sound otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    I have a 34 inseam and +2 ape. It was my buddy’s demo, I imagine a 50mm stem. I ran a 50 on my XL.
    thanks, we're very similar in size.

bad reputation
    WTF... I love my Ripmo, but why am I subscribed to this thread?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2017

100% the large is too small for you, an XL for sure.

I demo�d an L Ripmo and was horrible, switched to an XL an fitted me like a glove (I�m 6�2).

SB150 is a great bike but it�s a different ride IMO.

Rimpo to me feels like a best of both words of a SB130 and SB150. Rimpo IMO is brilliant peddler for all day rides, great fun on trails super poppy with the DPX2. But you can dial the GRIP2 sand the bike feels super planted stable and fast.

I was going to buy the SB130 as a trail bike/all day rides, and a Ripmo as my bike for enduro race amateur privateer - but it�s so good - the not bothered with the SB130.

Also the 942 carbon wheels with ibis hubs are brilliant even for a heavyset and aggressive rider like me (with questionable line choices!)

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    I'm 6'4" on an XL. I run a 60mm stem. Zero front end lift, and I have my saddle all the way back on the rails.

Well Biked
    Did anyone else notice the coil X-fusion shock being tested on Brian Lopes's Ripmo on Pinkbike?
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/x-fusi...ng-system.html

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Anyone had issues with their rubber frame protection strips around the chain stay peaking off /adhesive fail?
    Noticed mines starting to come off. Any thoughts on how to safely reattach (glue or 3m double sided tape?)

Well Biked
    Quote Originally Posted by DrEndoBars View Post
    Anyone had issues with their rubber frame protection strips around the chain stay peaking off /adhesive fail?
    Noticed mines starting to come off. Any thoughts on how to safely reattach (glue or 3m double sided tape?)
    Yes. I have had a some emails with Ibis about it. They said try JB weld. I haven't tried it yet but will soon. At first I had a bike shop take care of it, and whatever they used didn't hold up very long.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by scepticshock View Post
    Yes. I have had a some emails with Ibis about it. They said try JB weld. I haven't tried it yet but will soon. At first I had a bike shop take care of it, and whatever they used didn't hold up very long.
    I used some thin 3m trim tape that I had from the auto parts store for another project. The difficult part is getting it clean enough to adhere well since the back of the pad had lots of dirt on it.

Shoe goo is the best I've used for sticking stuff like this back together. Getting it clean with rubbing alcohol is key too.
    https://www.amazon.com/Shoe-GOO-1102.../dp/B004PBOJE8

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Has anyone tried a Fox 36 150mm fork on their Ripmo? I'm thinking it would steepen the seat angle a tad and make it a little more agile with a smaller wheelbase and steeper head angle....so slightly more XC-ish. The only drawback I see is the lower BB height, but by only like 3-4mm. 150/145mm front/rear would still be sufficient for the vast majority of trails most people are riding.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Anyone ordered a ripmo (xl) recently and can comment on wait time. My shop (in Canada) currently saying xl's won't ship until June 15th. Add the week or two of transit and bike build time that's getting pretty deep into riding season for up here . Just wondering if Ibis ever ships ahead of their estimate date? Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    I was told the same thing, the original date was may 15. Contemplating changing the order to a different bike as that's around a 2 month wait

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    I was told the same thing, the original date was may 15. Contemplating changing the order to a different bike as that's around a 2 month wait
    Damn, yea that's a bummer. Was hoping since it's been out for awhile now this wouldn't be the case.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    It seems like they got slammed with orders this spring. I ordered my size L in mid March and my ship date changed from April 5 to 20 or so. By the time I picked my bike up, they said waits were into June.

It's a great bike though! I'm sure it'll be worth the wait as long as you're still riding in the meantime.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Grubs View Post
    Anyone ordered a ripmo (xl) recently and can comment on wait time. My shop (in Canada) currently saying xl's won't ship until June 15th. Add the week or two of transit and bike build time that's getting pretty deep into riding season for up here . Just wondering if Ibis ever ships ahead of their estimate date? Thanks!!
    Have you tried other stores in your area to see if they have stock?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    Shoe goo is the best I've used for sticking stuff like this back together. Getting it clean with rubbing alcohol is key too.
    https://www.amazon.com/Shoe-GOO-1102.../dp/B004PBOJE8
    One of my customers, Eclectic Products, makes that and I can tell you that it is highly engineered and the best contact adhesive out there. I use it to glue the soles of my 510's back down (they use terrible adhesive, supposedly corrected lately).

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Some people are worried about the Ripmo not being slack enough. It worked great when I test rode it. As far as I understand it is intended as an all mountain and not an enduro sled. However, comparable(?) bikes like the Transition Sentinel has a 64 d head angle, so it would be nice to check it out.

I might have missed something, but did anyone try a 1.5d angleset and 170 mm Fox 36 on the Ripmo? I think I saw some experience with this flash past, but can't fint it back. Did you like it?

This setup should, according to this calculator, give a Ripmo with almost 2d slacker front, but stock reach and stack.

Ibis Ripmo - 145/160mm long travel 29er-ibis_ripmo_1_5_angleset_170mm.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    That calculator doesn't take into account the reach you loose from the actual angle set. My 1 deg works components headset costs around 5mm of reach from the external top cup
    Last edited by Creg; 3 Weeks Ago at 03:35 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Creg View Post
    That calculator doesn't take into account that the reach you loose from the actual angle set. My 1 deg works components headset costs around 5mm of reach from the external top cup

Good correction! How do you like it?

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by simenf View Post
    Good correction! How do you like it?
    I didn't try the bike with a standard headset so I can't compare it to that, but I ride my bike on plenty of flatter trails and it doesn't feel too slack to me. On the steep/fast trails I really appreciate the head angle and the extra 10mm of wheelbase that it gives compared to my HD4 (both size L)

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Have you checked competitive cyclist or fanatik? Unless you were looking to stay with an LBS, both colors and all sizes, were in stock and available not that long ago thru both stores.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Pivot had that problem until recently. Clean with alcohol and use superglue gel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale-Calgary View Post
    Have you tried other stores in your area to see if they have stock?
    Just the one shop (Ridleys in Calgary) that carries them. Next closest one that I have asked is in Canmore, but that's not ideal. And I haven't heard back from them yet

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
    Pivot had that problem until recently. Clean with alcohol and use superglue gel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Edit: whoops replied to wrong comment, sorry

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by monts View Post
    Have you checked competitive cyclist or fanatik? Unless you were looking to stay with an LBS, both colors and all sizes, were in stock and available not that long ago thru both stores.
    Fanatik will only ship within the US

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Shop was able to find one in stock! Gonna go try it out soon and make a decision between it, the SB130 and the Transition Sentinel. Hoping the ibis is as great as I've heard as it seems to be the best balance of bikes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Just the one shop (Ridleys in Calgary) that carries them. Next closest one that I have asked is in Canmore, but that's not ideal. And I haven't heard back from them yet
    Ridley’s is pretty good and honest. That’s where I got mine from.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale-Calgary View Post
    Ridley’s is pretty good and honest. That’s where I got mine from.
    Yea they have been great so far to deal with. How do you like yours with the trails around here?

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Yea they have been great so far to deal with. How do you like yours with the trails around here?
    Not who you responded too, but I also picked up my bike at Ridley's and live in Canmore. I ended up on a Ripmo with the NX build and upgraded to X2 and the fox 36 grip 2. I got the weareone wheelset on promotion and changed the brakes to Saint Zees too.

With the shit spring we've had, I haven't had the chance to get on all the trails in our area yet, but I have done a bit of riding at Swansea, in Banff, and obviously around Canmore. It's awesome. I honestly see no deficit in climbing over shorter travel bikes I've had before. The steep seat tube was a bit odd at first, but I got used to it pretty quick and I've felt pretty fast compared to what I was doing before.

I will say that the suspension has been a bit tricky to figure out so far, but overall I'm very pleased with the bike on our local trails (what's ride-able right now anyway).

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by complexpast View Post
    Not who you responded too, but I also picked up my bike at Ridley's and live in Canmore. I ended up on a Ripmo with the NX build and upgraded to X2 and the fox 36 grip 2. I got the weareone wheelset on promotion and changed the brakes to Saint Zees too.

With the shit spring we've had, I haven't had the chance to get on all the trails in our area yet, but I have done a bit of riding at Swansea, in Banff, and obviously around Canmore. It's awesome. I honestly see no deficit in climbing over shorter travel bikes I've had before. The steep seat tube was a bit odd at first, but I got used to it pretty quick and I've felt pretty fast compared to what I was doing before.

I will say that the suspension has been a bit tricky to figure out so far, but overall I'm very pleased with the bike on our local trails (what's ride-able right now anyway).
    Sounds like a sweet build. And great to hear you are enjoying it

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Perfect reason to take a weekend trip to Fanatik, buy and pick up Ripmo, and ride Bellingham!

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Does anyone have some comparative comments regarding Rimpo vs. Firebird 29? I've demo'd both and can't decide between them. The FB29 felt better on the faster straights and in the air; the Ripmo felt a little faster in the turns. Both climbed well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Did you get the Outpost bag? If so, do you like it?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jsph_custer View Post
    Does anyone have some comparative comments regarding Rimpo vs. Firebird 29? I've demo'd both and can't decide between them. The FB29 felt better on the faster straights and in the air; the Ripmo felt a little faster in the turns. Both climbed well.
    seems like an easy decision for you to make, based what you listed as comparisons. do you want a bike that corners better or or handles faster straights & air better?
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    First real test yesterday at Fernie(wonderful place) with the upgraded 203’s front and rear with XT 4-pots and resin pads for quiet and a little better modulation was awesome.

Tons of smooth controllable power. I highly suggest it!

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by williford View Post
    Has anyone tried a Fox 36 150mm fork on their Ripmo? I'm thinking it would steepen the seat angle a tad and make it a little more agile with a smaller wheelbase and steeper head angle....so slightly more XC-ish. The only drawback I see is the lower BB height, but by only like 3-4mm. 150/145mm front/rear would still be sufficient for the vast majority of trails most people are riding.
    I was thinking of doing this so talked to Chuck @Ibis about it. He said that they tried the Ripmos both ways (150/160) and there was no noticeable difference in agility/steering/etc. So they never bothered to offer that way on the site.

Personally, I find that hard to believe as 10mm made a huge difference on the personality of my Following (from 140 to 130). Still, Chuck’s usually a straight-shooter, so I took his word for it and never went through the hassle of trying.

I’d love to hear some reports from folks who try it... Is it weird to want to see a ripmo turned into a downcountry sled?? :/

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    New Ripmo colourway or is someone audacious enough to race the Ripley in the EWS

Ibis Ripmo - 145/160mm long travel 29er-p5pb17201294.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Pretty sure that's an HD4. You can just see a bit of the gas-tank underneath the strapped on tube.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Isildur View Post
    Pretty sure that's an HD4. You can just see a bit of the gas-tank underneath the strapped on tube.
    Doh! You are correct...Ive stopped paying attention to HD4s a long time ago.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    if anything, offset bushings to raise the rear is the way to go IMO. BB is so low with the 160.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by ackshen View Post
    I'm 6'4" on an XL. I run a 60mm stem. Zero front end lift, and I have my saddle all the way back on the rails.
    Is it still cramped ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNatureBoy View Post
    Is it still cramped ?

Hard to say what you mean by cramped. I prefer a relatively upright seating position while climbing, so to me it doesn't feel cramped at all; I'm also coming from a relatively small bike (XL nomad 3) so it feels extremely comfortable relative to that. I run 40mm x 800 riser bars. I actually just ordered the i9 stem in 50mm since it has 8 degrees rise and will enable me to get my bars a bit higher and I didn't feel like I needed the extra 10mm of stem length (everything I've read says it's best to keep stem length close to fork offset for the best handling, and I'm running a 42 offset fork). We'll see how it feels when the stem arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by ackshen View Post
    Hard to say what you mean by cramped. I prefer a relatively upright seating position while climbing, so to me it doesn't feel cramped at all; I'm also coming from a relatively small bike (XL nomad 3) so it feels extremely comfortable relative to that. I run 40mm x 800 riser bars. I actually just ordered the i9 stem in 50mm since it has 8 degrees rise and will enable me to get my bars a bit higher and I didn't feel like I needed the extra 10mm of stem length (everything I've read says it's best to keep stem length close to fork offset for the best handling, and I'm running a 42 offset fork). We'll see how it feels when the stem arrives.
    Stem length is relative. Riser bars are the same as adding longer stems and spacers.
    Just some food for thought on stem vs offset.
    50 stem with 40 riser = 62 stem with 38 spacers and a flat bar. Not saying this is an ideal setup, but there is crossover when picking you stem/riser setup.

I also prefer a shorter stem/offset combo if I can maintain enough front wheel traction.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    deleted

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by TX_CLG View Post
    I used some thin 3m trim tape that I had from the auto parts store for another project. The difficult part is getting it clean enough to adhere well since the back of the pad had lots of dirt on it.
    Thanks everyone for the comments back - I used some 3M double sided tape which seems to have done the trick - but only worked after some serious cleaning of the rubber strips with alcohol.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Was same for my ripmo order. Frame came quick but the build kit was on back order according to my Ibis LBS this was common with Ibis bikes and sometimes can be a couple of months. Hang in there (I almost cancelled my order and switched to a SB130 - one more bounce on ETA and would have - so glad I didn’t as rimpo is fantastic)

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Anyone here using a fox transfer 175mm on a medium ripmo? I am just wondering if there is any way the seatpost can be slammed down at maximum insertion so only the dropper itself would be showing? Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Just ordered a mrp ramp control cartridge version F for the Grip 2. Has anyone ever tried one?

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Was same for my ripmo order. Frame came quick but the build kit was on back order according to my Ibis LBS this was common with Ibis bikes and sometimes can be a couple of months. Hang in there (I almost cancelled my order and switched to a SB130 - one more bounce on ETA and would have - so glad I didn’t as rimpo is fantastic)
    Shop actually had one come in that wasn't spoken for yet. Test ride it and bought it! Only one ride on it so far (won't seem to stop raining here) but so far it's great!

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNatureBoy View Post
    Is it still cramped ?

Also 6'4" on an XL. It feels very roomy but I am coming from a L 09 nomad, so a medium ripmo would probably feel bigger than that nomad haha

mtbr member
    Old geo sizing = new geo sizing.

mtbr member
    Hi guys! I am wondering if anyone has tried the Rock shox Super Deluxe instead of the X2. I am not very happy with the Grip2 and i would like to try a Lyrik Ultimate and a Super Deluxe as a set.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    i'm going to do the same. have one sitting at home to compare with X2.

check out this guy's feedback:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEiGt0C_2Ss

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FactoryMatt View Post
    i'm going to do the same. have one sitting at home to compare with X2.

check out this guy's feedback:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEiGt0C_2Ss
    Thanks man for the vid! Could you please give us some feedback after the change?

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    absolutely. also have a lyrik ultimate waiting to go on. no experience with grip 2 admittedly, but will give best feedback i can on lyrik as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ToYZiLLa View Post
    I went with the NX build and just upgraded the dropper post to a Bikeyoke 160. I will upgrade the drivetrain as they wear out. The next upgrade soon will be the brakes
    A lot of places will let you upgrade items right off the bat. So instead of buying the NX build, spending $500 on upgrades, and trying to sell a bunch of used parts, you spend $300 on upgrades up front (or whatever the numbers may be). I ended up cancelling the order because I wanted to test ride one first but I had ordered the GX Build + X01 shifter + Pike for $50 over the cost of the GX build (really just paying for the shifter upcharge) from Competitive Cyclist.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by peeeeeejay View Post
    Anyone here using a fox transfer 175mm on a medium ripmo? I am just wondering if there is any way the seatpost can be slammed down at maximum insertion so only the dropper itself would be showing? Thanks
    I don't think this is something you want to do, I can almost guarantee that the rear wheel will interfere with the saddle at full compression and full drop.

Too Much Fun
    Quote Originally Posted by Crossmaxx View Post
    I don't think this is something you want to do, I can almost guarantee that the rear wheel will interfere with the saddle at full compression and full drop.
    I tend to agree, though haven't tried it. I had originally intended on going with a 175 Transfer myself, but had a 150 around from another build. I put the 150 on and I'm going to stick with it. A 175 would definitely put me in butt-scraping territory, and maaaaybe get my seat too close to the tire at full compression.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Hmmm, can't comment on a Medium frame, as I have a large, but I've got a 185mm Revive on mine, with about 40mm of post still showing. No dramas with seat buzz so far. When I next get a chance in the coming days, I'll slam it all the way down and see if there is any contact on full compression for you.

Definitely a fan of more drop when you can get it!

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I've got a OneUp 170mm dropper in a medium frame with about 35mm sticking up. That would put it at 208mm insertion. I tried to put in further, but the cable and housing got weird.
    Last edited by danoiz; 2 Days Ago at 08:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Forgot to add the Mr Lost has a brilliant detailed video on tuning the GRIP2, well worth watching
    I'm with Mister Lost on the entirety of that video except how he sets sag. What the hell was that? Is that how the bros do it in the PNW?

mtbr member
    I have plenty of room for a 175 on my Medium. Could probably even go 200, but have no desire to make the switch.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    If you slam a seatpost then it will definitely interfere with the rear tire. You need about 3" of seatpost exposed, give or take, depending on fore/aft saddle position and if you have a saddle cutout. I run a Bikeyoke Revive 160 and it clears for me where I have it set.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Isildur View Post
    Hmmm, can't comment on a Medium frame, as I have a large, but I've got a 185mm Revive on mine, with about 40mm of post still showing. No dramas with seat buzz so far. When I next get a chance in the coming days, I'll slam it all the way down and see if there is any contact on full compression for you.

Definitely a fan of more drop when you can get it!
    OK, so, on a Large frame, I can confirm full drop on a Bike Yoke Revive 185mm is certainly feasible. Not that it's in my radar, as I normally run about 40mm (well, 42mm to be exact) exposed post... Although now I'm thinking about a 200mm post!! See attached pics for my experiments tonight for you.

Relevant spec list:
    Ripmo Large
    Bike Yoke Revive 185mm
    Fizik Gobi XM Saddle (ha yep, I bought a whole heap when they started to be phased out, best saddle for my butt ever)
    Saddle positioned slightly rear of the centre by a couple of mm
    Aggressor 2.5WT @ 24PSI, on SC Reserve 30 rims.

Alas, I reckon that going by this experiment, a Medium frame with it's 50mm less Seat Tube Length, you may be S.O.L. But I guess it does answer the question that for anyone with a Large frame, to coin some of my homeland slang, "she'll be right mate!" (Note: Saddle and saddle position dependant and if you tear the arse out of your saddle, it's on you )

I hope that helps any future or current Ripmo owners
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ibis Ripmo - 145/160mm long travel 29er-20190523_182100.jpg  

Ibis Ripmo - 145/160mm long travel 29er-20190523_182031.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I’d recommend pinging Ibis to ask if you don’t get an answer here in the form. Checking the geo chart the seat tube length is 102mm shorter on a medium than my XL and I run a 175mm full insertion into frame and no issues with saddle hitting the seat. But the medium is a fair bit shorter. I didn’t see anything in my bike manual or on the Ibis site, so I’d defo recommend pinging them an email to check.

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920