Ibis Ripmo - 145/160mm long travel 29er - Page 19- Mtbr.com
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819
Results 1,801 to 1,867 of 1867
  1. #1801
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    12
    Will do
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale-Calgary View Post
    Keep us updated. Not sure what warranty i9 gives us.

  2. #1802
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    92
    Has anyone asked Ibis if and when they plan to change to i9/Hydra hubs?


    Moblile mail, tyops apoliged.

  3. #1803
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    509
    Quote Originally Posted by 69Hz View Post
    Has anyone asked Ibis if and when they plan to change to i9/Hydra hubs?


    Moblile mail, tyops apoliged.
    Yup, looks like it's happening already

    https://forums.mtbr.com/ibis/ibis-wh...s-1098315.html

  4. #1804
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    123

    Looking for a very lightly used Ripmo frame

    Hey Ripmo owners

    Looking for a very lightly used Ripmo frame (new is out of my reach $$)
    Been gathering components for a build and am at the point I'm ready to buy a frame.
    Reaching out to chat with folks who are contemplating selling their Ripmo frame.

    fyi - I have been keeping an eye on Pinkbike however there are many more people selling full bikes as opposed to frame only.

    Details:
    Looking for size Large

    Preference is for black with DPX2, but would be open to blue.

    pm me if you would like to have a discussion.

    Thanks

  5. #1805
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by crankarms View Post
    Hey Ripmo owners

    Looking for a very lightly used Ripmo frame (new is out of my reach $$)
    Been gathering components for a build and am at the point I'm ready to buy a frame.
    Reaching out to chat with folks who are contemplating selling their Ripmo frame.

    fyi - I have been keeping an eye on Pinkbike however there are many more people selling full bikes as opposed to frame only.

    Details:
    Looking for size Large

    Preference is for black with DPX2, but would be open to blue.

    pm me if you would like to have a discussion.

    Thanks
    Why would anyone be selling their ripmos already?

    Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

  6. #1806
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skinnybex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    2,262
    Quote Originally Posted by crankarms View Post
    Hey Ripmo owners

    Looking for a very lightly used Ripmo frame (new is out of my reach $$)
    Been gathering components for a build and am at the point I'm ready to buy a frame.
    Reaching out to chat with folks who are contemplating selling their Ripmo frame.

    fyi - I have been keeping an eye on Pinkbike however there are many more people selling full bikes as opposed to frame only.

    Details:
    Looking for size Large

    Preference is for black with DPX2, but would be open to blue.

    pm me if you would like to have a discussion.

    Thanks
    Iím selling my size Large blue Frame with DPX2

  7. #1807
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    123
    I guess sometimes it's just not what ya thought it might be. There have been quite a number that have been up for sale on Pinkbike over the last couple of months.

  8. #1808
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by mymasseur View Post
    Why would anyone be selling their ripmos already?
    SBD .... Something Better Disease.

  9. #1809
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    41
    Anyone tried a 51mm offset on their ripmo?

  10. #1810
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    25
    First big test on rocky trails here in Townsville Australia. 23 psi on rear, maxxis aggressor wt exp tr 2.5 wt. Failure, small jump, no gap, landed on square edge. Ibis branded alloy 38, thought this would happen with this size rim. Will go back to dt swiss.

    Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

  11. #1811
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by mymasseur View Post
    First big test on rocky trails here in Townsville Australia. 23 psi on rear, maxxis aggressor wt exp tr 2.5 wt. Failure, small jump, no gap, landed on square edge. Ibis branded alloy 38, thought this would happen with this size rim. Will go back to dt swiss.

    Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
    Stay away from square edge hits or use steel wheels.

  12. #1812
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale-Calgary View Post
    Stay away from square edge hits or use steel wheels.
    No choice where I live. Or club is called rockwheelers. Or trails are famous for being all rock. Some rims are better than others. We know what they are. This was an experiment. These will not last like others do here.

    Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

  13. #1813
    Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Reputation: alexbn921's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,764
    Quote Originally Posted by mymasseur View Post
    First big test on rocky trails here in Townsville Australia. 23 psi on rear, maxxis aggressor wt exp tr 2.5 wt. Failure, small jump, no gap, landed on square edge. Ibis branded alloy 38, thought this would happen with this size rim. Will go back to dt swiss.

    Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
    Has nothing to do with the rim size. Psi was too low and you wacked a square edge. Same thing will happen with DT swiss too.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

  14. #1814
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SoCal-Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    614
    Quote Originally Posted by sn1ck View Post
    Anyone tried a 51mm offset on their ripmo?
    I'm running a 51mm offset now. Not a huge difference. Steering feels a little quicker and the bike a little more nimble.

    Buying new, might as well go 44mm. If you have a 51mm fork already, run it.

  15. #1815
    No Clue Crew
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    6,086
    Yes, I run a 51 offset Lyrik. Can't tell the difference in regards to offset.

    And, doubling up rock gaps with 23 psi in the rear tire? I ride in Phoenix, so I know a couple things about rock riding. At 180 pounds, I can't run anything less than 30psi in a rear tire, regardless of rim choice.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

  16. #1816
    May contain nuts
    Reputation: Haggis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,256
    Quote Originally Posted by mymasseur View Post
    No choice where I live. Or club is called rockwheelers. Or trails are famous for being all rock. Some rims are better than others. We know what they are. This was an experiment. These will not last like others do here.

    Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
    DD casing or an insert. Our main downhill park is a rock nursery. I got sick of wrecking EXO tyres and rims. DD def helps.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  17. #1817
    May contain nuts
    Reputation: Haggis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,256
    And make yourself a tool like this - can straighten the rim wall without damaging the bead

  18. #1818
    bad reputation
    Reputation: turfnsurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    442
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale-Calgary View Post
    Stay away from square edge hits or use steel wheels.
    WTH is a steel wheel? The rim in the pic is Aluminum, not Carbon. Iíve never seen a steel rim!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  19. #1819
    sbd
    sbd is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    731
    Quote Originally Posted by pking View Post
    SBD .... Something Better Disease.
    Ha!

    Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

  20. #1820
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Yes, I run a 51 offset Lyrik. Can't tell the difference in regards to offset.

    And, doubling up rock gaps with 23 psi in the rear tire? I ride in Phoenix, so I know a couple things about rock riding. At 180 pounds, I can't run anything less than 30psi in a rear tire, regardless of rim choice.
    I Run 18 PSI At 148 pounds here in muddy SOCal. 🤨

  21. #1821
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    Has nothing to do with the rim size. Psi was too low and you wacked a square edge. Same thing will happen with DT swiss too.
    +1 The wheelset rigidity is highly dependent on the even and adequate spoke tension.


    Moblile mail, tyops apoliged.

  22. #1822
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    10,115
    Quote Originally Posted by 69Hz View Post
    +1 The wheelset rigidity is highly dependent on the even and adequate spoke tension.


    Moblile mail, tyops apoliged.
    ďRigidityĒ, assuming you mean lateral stiffness, has very little to do with spoke tension.

    Spoke gauge, count, and rim? Yes.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

  23. #1823
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    335
    My LBS in Sydney said they have a high proportion of Ibis 29er rims coming back dented compared to other brands. I've only put one dent in my 738s but it happened the only time I ran them without an insert. Now all I run is DD with an insert, and 28psi - any lower and I still rim strike

  24. #1824
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Creg View Post
    My LBS in Sydney said they have a high proportion of Ibis 29er rims coming back dented compared to other brands. I've only put one dent in my 738s but it happened the only time I ran them without an insert. Now all I run is DD with an insert, and 28psi - any lower and I still rim strike
    Cheers Creg, yes I suspected as much. Don't want to sound like a broken record but with all our rocky trails we also have wittled them out. On a plus side I have had contact with ibis and they are very helpful, maybe they will want to use our trails here for testing new and improved products? we shall see what they say. And yes definitely have certain rims around here that last better than others. Happy to be proven wrong. And I understand that this time some people say I ran to low. I started at 28 psi so where my old 29 2.3 were. I shouldn't have listened to others on this thread quoteing 24 for rocky places. live and learn.

    Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

  25. #1825
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by turfnsurf View Post
    WTH is a steel wheel? The rim in the pic is Aluminum, not Carbon. Iíve never seen a steel rim!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I was joking.

    It's silly to complain about dented aluminum rims on rock strikes if that's what you ride. Nobody wants a damaged rim but if you ride rocky terrain use heavy stronger rims, pump those tires up, and use cushcore and don't complain if you still unfortunately damage the rim if you have a hard impact.

    Aluminum/metal bends

  26. #1826
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale-Calgary View Post
    I was joking.

    It's silly to complain about dented aluminum rims on rock strikes if that's what you ride. Nobody wants a damaged rim but if you ride rocky terrain use heavy stronger rims, pump those tires up, and use cushcore and don't complain if you still unfortunately damage the rim if you have a hard impact.

    Aluminum/metal bends
    Sorry awesome perfect dude! Should not have passed on the info for others to learn hey? But shit some of us like to learn this shit from others experience. I imagine you know everything. Earlier in the thread someone commented about riding rocky on 24 psi with these new wt tyres. How wrong they were. Now I'm passing this on.

    Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

  27. #1827
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    79
    In the past, I needed to run 27 psi at my weight on 28 mm alloy rims to avoid rim damage on rocky trails. I have not had to increase that after moving to the Ibis 34 mm alloy rims, even though I'm hitting things faster/harder than ever.

  28. #1828
    May contain nuts
    Reputation: Haggis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,256
    Quote Originally Posted by optimit View Post
    In the past, I needed to run 27 psi at my weight on 28 mm alloy rims to avoid rim damage on rocky trails. I have not had to increase that after moving to the Ibis 34 mm alloy rims, even though I'm hitting things faster/harder than ever.
    On same tyres?

  29. #1829
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
    On same tyres?
    Yes, 2.3 Aggressor. The rear is the problem child, as you might expect.

  30. #1830
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by dmarsh15 View Post


    Could you please tell me what frame bag this is? thanks!

  31. #1831
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    315

  32. #1832
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by matt.s67 View Post
    Thanks!

  33. #1833
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    6
    I remember some people we having issues with rocks and debris getting into the area behind the seat tube and pinching causing damage. My new bike already had the tape but I wanted to be sure since my bike was new and I live in TX hill country with lots of pebbles and such. I made a flap out of inter-tube... man has worked perfect. I attached it with just double sided office tape to the brace behind the post to try it. It does not bind and stays out of the joint. Bike has been through a lot of rides and rinse offs so far. ... so good.Ibis Ripmo - 145/160mm long travel 29er-20190223_123916.jpg

  34. #1834
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    669
    I made the same on my bike. Works very well.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  35. #1835
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    141
    Is Ibis coming up with the revised ripmo this 2019 or maybe next year 2020?

  36. #1836
    sbd
    sbd is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    731
    Quote Originally Posted by ibismojo09 View Post
    Is Ibis coming up with the revised ripmo this 2019 or maybe next year 2020?
    Yes. The current model has won too many awards and the waiting list is too long. And it's almost a whole year old.

    Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

  37. #1837
    The MTB Lab
    Reputation: pastajet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,439
    Quote Originally Posted by matt.s67 View Post
    I like the Topeak Dry fuel bag:

    https://themtblab.com/2019/01/topeak...ag-review.html

  38. #1838
    MSH
    MSH is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MSH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    916
    Quote Originally Posted by ibismojo09 View Post
    Is Ibis coming up with the revised ripmo this 2019 or maybe next year 2020?
    On average Ibis seems to be on a refresh/update for models every 2 yrs, so 2020 would most likely when you would see any updates.

  39. #1839
    MSH
    MSH is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MSH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    916
    Quote Originally Posted by pastajet View Post
    Another option is custom. I have had Greg at Rockgeist out of Asheville make me one for my old Spot Mayhem and more recently for my Kona Wozo. You can specify both the side color and the spine colors of the bag and the fabric used. He only charges $68 for the "Medic Bag", which is a great deal IMO. I just ordered up another one for my Ripmo I just finished building up (Blue body w/ orange spine)

    https://rockgeist.com/product/medic/

    This is the original one he made me for my old Mayhem...

    Ibis Ripmo - 145/160mm long travel 29er-img_0310.jpg

  40. #1840
    Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Reputation: alexbn921's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,764
    Quote Originally Posted by ibismojo09 View Post
    Is Ibis coming up with the revised ripmo this 2019 or maybe next year 2020?
    I highly doubt that they are investing any time reworking their best selling model. I don't want it to have more travel, be slacker, lower........It's perfect.
    2021 would be the soonest, but if they are still pre-selling everyone it might be even longer.

    Now the Ripley needs a refresh bad and I have a feeling we will be seeing one sooner than latter.

    A Mojo 4 seems like kind of a dead end with 27.5 wheels but to each there own.

    I'm interested to see if a Ripmo DH with replace the Mojo DH. It would have to have at least 160 rear travel and a 170 fork. Of coarse it should be designed around a coil shock.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

  41. #1841
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    509
    I had mine done custom. If you're in Aus, look up Bike Bag dude

    It can even carry feathers you may pickup up for your wife along the trail

    Ibis Ripmo - 145/160mm long travel 29er-ripmo-bbd1.jpg Ibis Ripmo - 145/160mm long travel 29er-ripmo-bbd2.jpg Ibis Ripmo - 145/160mm long travel 29er-ripmo-bbd3.jpg

  42. #1842
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale-Calgary View Post
    Keep us updated. Not sure what warranty i9 gives us.
    Got my wheel back from I9 today. Apparently there was a defect in my hub shell that caused the axle break, so they replaced it with a new Hydra hub!
    I9 hubs have a 2 year warranty, the ibis carbon hoops are lifetime to original owner.

  43. #1843
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Isildur View Post
    I had mine done custom. If you're in Aus, look up Bike Bag dude

    It can even carry feathers you may pickup up for your wife along the trail

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ripmo BBD1.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	264.8 KB 
ID:	1240688 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ripmo BBD2.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	335.7 KB 
ID:	1240687 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ripmo BBD3.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	438.3 KB 
ID:	1240686
    Hi isildur, where are you in Australia? How does your magic bag work? Can't see any straps.
    Some of my bike packing mates swear by the bike bag dude.
    How much approx was yours?

    Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

  44. #1844
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    509
    Quote Originally Posted by mymasseur View Post
    Hi isildur, where are you in Australia? How does your magic bag work? Can't see any straps.
    Some of my bike packing mates swear by the bike bag dude.
    How much approx was yours?

    Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
    Heya Mate,
    My Magic Bag obviously works on Unicorn Farts and Hippy Sweat, like all good magic should

    Seriously though, it's got the loop side of heavy duty Velcro tape stitched into the bag along the edges, and then I've got strips of the hook side stuck onto the frame. I had him do the same for my HD3, which was freaking bomber given the totally enclosed gas tank design. This has been no less bomber even though it's only the top and down tube holding it.

    And even with a standard 29'er tube (I've got a Maxxis Fly and Ultra light on order to see about volume reduction there) in there, I still everythign I had in the HD3 bag, which is:

    Topeak Mini20 tool
    Tube
    Pump
    CO2/head
    Valve x2
    Patch x2
    Dynaplug tubeless repair kit
    Tyre lever
    Hanger
    Quick link
    Cable ties x5

    I'm in Sydney, and have done a few rides now around our heavy technical trails and it hasn't budged a bit.

    As it's all custom work, pricing can change back and forth a bit. But now that he has two templates, a Medium (as my first shot was a bit too small for my Large frame, but is perfect for a Medium) and Large, it should be a bit cheaper. All of his work is first rate as well, will last a lifetime for sure.

  45. #1845
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Isildur View Post
    Heya Mate,
    My Magic Bag obviously works on Unicorn Farts and Hippy Sweat, like all good magic should

    Seriously though, it's got the loop side of heavy duty Velcro tape stitched into the bag along the edges, and then I've got strips of the hook side stuck onto the frame. I had him do the same for my HD3, which was freaking bomber given the totally enclosed gas tank design. This has been no less bomber even though it's only the top and down tube holding it.

    And even with a standard 29'er tube (I've got a Maxxis Fly and Ultra light on order to see about volume reduction there) in there, I still everythign I had in the HD3 bag, which is:

    Topeak Mini20 tool
    Tube
    Pump
    CO2/head
    Valve x2
    Patch x2
    Dynaplug tubeless repair kit
    Tyre lever
    Hanger
    Quick link
    Cable ties x5

    I'm in Sydney, and have done a few rides now around our heavy technical trails and it hasn't budged a bit.

    As it's all custom work, pricing can change back and forth a bit. But now that he has two templates, a Medium (as my first shot was a bit too small for my Large frame, but is perfect for a Medium) and Large, it should be a bit cheaper. All of his work is first rate as well, will last a lifetime for sure.
    Awesome thanks for all the info. Am seriously considering it. what pump fits in there also? I am a weird hippy and hate the thought of used canisters. so a good light pump is my preference.

    Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

  46. #1846
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    371
    Quote Originally Posted by 62clyde View Post
    I remember some people we having issues with rocks and debris getting into the area behind the seat tube and pinching causing damage. My new bike already had the tape but I wanted to be sure since my bike was new and I live in TX hill country with lots of pebbles and such. I made a flap out of inter-tube... man has worked perfect. I attached it with just double sided office tape to the brace behind the post to try it. It does not bind and stays out of the joint. Bike has been through a lot of rides and rinse offs so far. ... so good.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190223_123916.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	229.9 KB 
ID:	1240505
    great idea and thanks - wanna give this a try. which side did you attach it to- the carbon part or the aluminum linkage, or both?

  47. #1847
    MSH
    MSH is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MSH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    916
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    2021 would be the soonest, but if they are still pre-selling everyone it might be even longer..
    You could be right, but I'm still betting on 2020 based on history with Ibis. Here are the release dates and subsequent updates of some of their most popular models over the past 5-6 yrs.
    Almost all +/- 3 months of 2 yrs on Ripley updates. The HDR to HD3 was only 1.5 yrs between updates, but then they went 2.5 yrs between HD3 & HD4. Ends up averaging 2 yrs between each update. If history holds true Ripley and HD4 updates very soon...

    Ripley
    3/2013 (v1)
    6/2015 (v2)
    4/2017 (v3)

    Mojo
    6/2013 (HDR)
    11/2014 (HD3)
    5/2017 (HD4)

  48. #1848
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    509
    Quote Originally Posted by mymasseur View Post
    Awesome thanks for all the info. Am seriously considering it. what pump fits in there also? I am a weird hippy and hate the thought of used canisters. so a good light pump is my preference.

    Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
    It's a Topeak Micro Rocket AL, fits nice and snug along the top edge.

    https://www.topeak.com/global/en/pro...icro-rocket-al

    Definitely do it With that, I know I've got everything I need for any short ride. For medium rides, SWAT Bibs let me carry an extra bottle refill or two (hydrapak soft flask/s), snacks and my phone.

    And for epic rides, I'll use a hippack for more water, proper food, first aid, etc.

    Since I freed my back from packs after a collarbone break a couple of years ago, I so much prefer riding without one I still will if absolutely necessary (tools for build days, etc), but 99.9% of rides I'm pack free and light

  49. #1849
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    335
    I'm betting a new Ripmo is a long way off, it's really hit the sweet spot. I do believe that a longer travel bike will surface in the next 12 months to replace HD4, which I expect will be 29er wheels. In any case, I got sick of waiting so just pulled the trigger on a new Ripmo. Doing a custom build with new XTR and some other nice touches so I'm pretty excited

  50. #1850
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Liquidmantis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    530
    Yeah, some of those historical "quick" changes were from 27.5" taking off and becoming standard rather than an off-hand option on a 26" bike, as well as Boost and internal routing becoming a standard.

    The HDR to HD3 upgrade really bummed me out. I ordered my HDR when it was released, debated about 26 vs 27.5 and ultimately went 26 to get full travel, finally got it late October, then immediately hit winter and didn't really start regularly riding it until Aprilish, only to have the HD3 come out at the end of the season. And of course the HD3 really polished the HDR idea.

  51. #1851
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    6
    Linkage... Every time I lift and look ... doing the job!!!

  52. #1852
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by attaboy View Post
    great idea and thanks - wanna give this a try. which side did you attach it to- the carbon part or the aluminum linkage, or both?
    Linkage... Every time I lift and look ... it's doing the job!!!

  53. #1853
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    371
    Quote Originally Posted by 62clyde View Post
    Linkage... Every time I lift and look ... it's doing the job!!!
    Ya, I guessed and went ahead with it. Worked great. Super, simple, smart fix.

  54. #1854
    Ride or Die!
    Reputation: CasinoKiD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    773
    What size Rotor are you guys running on the rear? Currently I have a 160 but im about to order a 180. Can anyone have shoot me a link to the right adapter I need for the rear? Thanks in advance.

  55. #1855
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    509
    I run a 180mm rear, you just need a 20mm Post Mount adapter. I gather you're in the US, so I looked it up on Jenson for you, but I'm sure you can grab it anywhere you want

    https://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-F1...-Brake-Adaptor

  56. #1856
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    229
    Just put a couple Rekon 2.6's on it for a trip at the end of the month and that should take it to around 28.3 lbs. I hope the sidewalls hold up!

  57. #1857
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eysikal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale-Calgary View Post
    Just put a couple Rekon 2.6's on it for a trip at the end of the month and that should take it to around 28.3 lbs. I hope the sidewalls hold up!
    Let us know how it goes!

    I just bought 2.6 Rekon for the rear and, on the advice of my local shop, a 2.6 Forekaser for the front. I really wanted to lighten up my rotating weight and also decrease rolling resistance.

    Havenít had a chance to try them out yet as weíre still waiting for everything to thaw out here in Utah.

  58. #1858
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by eysikal View Post
    Let us know how it goes!

    I just bought 2.6 Rekon for the rear and, on the advice of my local shop, a 2.6 Forekaser for the front. I really wanted to lighten up my rotating weight and also decrease rolling resistance.

    Havenít had a chance to try them out yet as weíre still waiting for everything to thaw out here in Utah.
    I had 2 sitting around and going to Hurricane and i'm hearing you can ride just about any tire there so on they went. The forecaster probably is the better tire for the front and maybe i'll try that too if they feel shaky. I'm bringing lots of rubber if needed.
    Last edited by Dale-Calgary; 6 Days Ago at 08:05 PM.

  59. #1859
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    39
    Only issue I ever had with a Rekon was it getting packed up when it was damp. It definitely doesn't shed wet soil very well, let alone mud.

  60. #1860
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    509
    Quote Originally Posted by Isildur View Post
    Heya Mate,
    My Magic Bag obviously works on Unicorn Farts and Hippy Sweat, like all good magic should

    Seriously though, it's got the loop side of heavy duty Velcro tape stitched into the bag along the edges, and then I've got strips of the hook side stuck onto the frame. I had him do the same for my HD3, which was freaking bomber given the totally enclosed gas tank design. This has been no less bomber even though it's only the top and down tube holding it.

    And even with a standard 29'er tube (I've got a Maxxis Fly and Ultra light on order to see about volume reduction there) in there, I still everythign I had in the HD3 bag, which is:

    Topeak Mini20 tool
    Tube
    Pump
    CO2/head
    Valve x2
    Patch x2
    Dynaplug tubeless repair kit
    Tyre lever
    Hanger
    Quick link
    Cable ties x5

    I'm in Sydney, and have done a few rides now around our heavy technical trails and it hasn't budged a bit.

    As it's all custom work, pricing can change back and forth a bit. But now that he has two templates, a Medium (as my first shot was a bit too small for my Large frame, but is perfect for a Medium) and Large, it should be a bit cheaper. All of his work is first rate as well, will last a lifetime for sure.
    So as an update, picked up a Maxxis Ultralight Tube, which is a good compromise in my mind of weight, pack size and "get me out of trouble" reliability. Now enough room in the frame pack for a Fruit Strip and a Granola Bar, so enough snacks for a ride of a couple of hours

  61. #1861
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    25
    Night ride. Still 30 deg Celsius. Humid as in far north Queensland Australia. Just after floods. Our trails are pretty wrecked now the grass gets out of control. Crazy times. At least we can ride and life is blessed.

    Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

  62. #1862
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by MSH View Post
    You could be right, but I'm still betting on 2020 based on history with Ibis. Here are the release dates and subsequent updates of some of their most popular models over the past 5-6 yrs.
    Almost all +/- 3 months of 2 yrs on Ripley updates. The HDR to HD3 was only 1.5 yrs between updates, but then they went 2.5 yrs between HD3 & HD4. Ends up averaging 2 yrs between each update. If history holds true Ripley and HD4 updates very soon...

    Ripley
    3/2013 (v1)
    6/2015 (v2)
    4/2017 (v3)

    Mojo
    6/2013 (HDR)
    11/2014 (HD3)
    5/2017 (HD4)
    This is why I love Ibis they don't change yearly. I opt to buy the yt jeffsy, I have the 2017 cf pro race, though still thinking of going back to ibis but the ripmo design, imo is not as timeless compared to the mojo frame. That is why I'm hesitant and might wait for another year if they will update the ripmo.

  63. #1863
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    143
    Anyone running a se4 2.6 in the rear?

  64. #1864
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Liquidmantis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    530
    Quote Originally Posted by ibismojo09 View Post
    This is why I love Ibis they don't change yearly. I opt to buy the yt jeffsy, I have the 2017 cf pro race, though still thinking of going back to ibis but the ripmo design, imo is not as timeless compared to the mojo frame.
    Are you talking about the silhouette? If so, I agree. Without the crossbrace the Ripmo is a lot less distinctive than the iconic Mojo profile. I don't see that changing though.

  65. #1865
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    229
    For those that watch BKXC's youtube channel his new bike is a ripmo for 2019.

  66. #1866
    Well Biked
    Reputation: scepticshock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,889
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale-Calgary View Post
    For those that watch BKXC's youtube channel his new bike is a ripmo for 2019.
    Smart move on Ibis's part! It sounds like Orbea didn't really understand how much exposure a veteran Youtuber like Brian can give.

  67. #1867
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by scepticshock View Post
    Smart move on Ibis's part! It sounds like Orbea didn't really understand how much exposure a veteran Youtuber like Brian can give.
    I agree. many never heard of Orbea before his last bike. And it looked so good.

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-03-2014, 05:25 PM
  2. 100mm by 145 mm Square Taper BB
    By sryanak in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-25-2012, 04:18 PM
  3. Crank Brothers Joplin 4 Dropper Seatpost for $145!
    By KVW in forum Where are the Best Deals?
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-16-2012, 02:50 PM
  4. Saddles that are 140-145 wide?
    By Raybum in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-05-2011, 12:55 PM
  5. Flow or Arch rims for 145 lb rider on RIP9
    By farmertan in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 02-21-2011, 10:11 AM

Members who have read this thread: 940

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.