Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819 LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,800 of 1820
  1. #1701
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnbag View Post
    Great Forum.
    Just pulled the trigger on a Large NX build. Plan to swap out brakes for Sram Code R (or Guide RSC) and have a set of STOIC CARBON UD 0.5 BB35 bars 12mm rise, 9 sweep with matching 35mm stem.
    I'm 5 11". Question is 35mm stem OK or am I best with the stock 50?
    Also i run my rear brake on the left, I assume no problem to cross cables?
    Thanks in advance
    I'm 5'11" and i put a 40mm(length) 35mm calmp (truvativ Descendant i think) stem and 800mm bars (chromag bza bars - 35mm clamp with 25mm rise) on my ripmo. It came stock with 50mm and 780mm. I prefer the 40x800 setup over the 50x780.

  2. #1702
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    489
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnbag View Post
    Great Forum.
    Just pulled the trigger on a Large NX build. Plan to swap out brakes for Sram Code R (or Guide RSC) and have a set of STOIC CARBON UD 0.5 BB35 bars 12mm rise, 9 sweep with matching 35mm stem.
    I'm 5 11". Question is 35mm stem OK or am I best with the stock 50?
    Also i run my rear brake on the left, I assume no problem to cross cables?
    Thanks in advance
    RE the cable routing, the Ripmo uses full channel routing, so your left/rear brake will have to be routed into the left side, rather than crossed to the right. Alas I'm the same, so actually preferred the older open frame internal routing, as it meant I could route my cables any way I wanted and make them much neater overall

  3. #1703
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by Buc_Nasty View Post
    Is this on 30 or 35mm internal width rims?

    I did a ton of demos and bought and sold a few bikes the past couple years. Ripmo has left me so happy I wonít even look/think about another bike until Ripmo V2
    Ohhh... good point. Using Ibis 942's - 35mm. I bet this makes a significant difference on my experience.

    I'm pretty much *always* thinking about some other bike... the slut I am!

  4. #1704
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    71
    Cool I will try some of those tires, I have the 942s also. Wasn't sure if they'd make narrower tires too weirdly shaped. For most of my riding the EXO+ dhf 2.5 and DHRII 2.4 are too much but I do like the grip.
    I bet Maxxis would make a killing off 2.3" WT tires.

    Some guy in Bay Area selling a used NX ripmo for $4100 on craigslist, its $4200 on ibis website. I will never understand craigslist mentality.

  5. #1705
    mtbr member
    Reputation: digitalhippie13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    803
    Loving the Ripmo as an all round frickin sweet thang! Summer is going off downunder

    Ibis Ripmo - 145/160mm long travel 29er-ibis-forum-ripmo.jpg

  6. #1706
    AD
    AD is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    63
    G'day! Great photos and what a great bike the Ripmo is!!

  7. #1707
    Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Reputation: alexbn921's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,713
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalhippie13 View Post
    Loving the Ripmo as an all round frickin sweet thang! Summer is going off downunder

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ibis-forum-ripmo.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	626.4 KB 
ID:	1232891
    Nice!
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

  8. #1708
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    3

    Rear Stone Guard

    Ibis Ripmo - 145/160mm long travel 29er-20190114_182120%5B90019%5D.jpgIbis Ripmo - 145/160mm long travel 29er-20190114_182142%5B90021%5D.jpg

    Has anyone tried using the RRP or similar front guard on the rear.
    Looks like it will work well to protect the top DW Link.

    I've had the bike bike nearly a week now, still waiting on the Invisiframe to arrive which got lost in the post

  9. #1709
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    24
    I thought I remembered seeing somewhere that Ibis was shipping Ripmos now with some sort of stretchy rubber guard that stopped rocks getting in the linkage. Mine doesn't have anything there, I used helicopter tape to cover that area as clearance with the rear tire is tight.

  10. #1710
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RSAmerica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    335
    I have demoíed a medium Ibis Ripmo for 3 days on my local trails. So I feel I got to know the bike fairly well, awesome bike. I have been riding a medium Mojo3 for the last 2 years, also awesome (super quick, chuck-able and fun 26 lbs). I am looking at the Ripmo for the more downhill and chunky capabilities, which it has over the Mojo3. The Ripmo is more work on the climbs and flats, I switched the tires to 2.6 Maxxis Forekasters front and rear and this made a huge difference. It saved 3/4 of a lb of rotating weight (29lbs total) and really woke the Ripmo up (still not as quick as the Mojo3).

    I have experienced hand pain/pressure in my palms of my hand riding the Ripmo.

    The setup on my Mojo3 puts the grips level with the saddle and the reach to the grips is 1/4Ē longer (with a 60 mm -6 deg. stem and 780 bar) than the Ripmo. The Ripmo demo setup was 55mm stem 0 deg and 800 bars. The grips were ~3/4 to 1Ē above the saddle. This setup feels short seated.

    I am trying to figure out what setup on the Ripmo will alleviate the hand pressure. I am 5í-8Ē and feel the medium is the correct size and I like the short wheelbase (1190mm). I am thinking a lowerise 780bar, 55-60mm -6 deg. stem.

    Anyone experienced this problem and have corrected it, if so how?

  11. #1711
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    2,498
    I had a similar issue when going from my hd4 to the sb130. I simply raised the handlebar which fixed my problem. Im guessing why not have the handlebar as high as possible if you're not washing out on turns and front wheel not lifting on climbs.

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

  12. #1712
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    778
    Quote Originally Posted by RSAmerica View Post
    I have demoíed a medium Ibis Ripmo for 3 days on my local trails. So I feel I got to know the bike fairly well, awesome bike. I have been riding a medium Mojo3 for the last 2 years, also awesome (super quick, chuck-able and fun 26 lbs). I am looking at the Ripmo for the more downhill and chunky capabilities, which it has over the Mojo3. The Ripmo is more work on the climbs and flats, I switched the tires to 2.6 Maxxis Forekasters front and rear and this made a huge difference. It saved 3/4 of a lb of rotating weight (29lbs total) and really woke the Ripmo up (still not as quick as the Mojo3).

    I have experienced hand pain/pressure in my palms of my hand riding the Ripmo.

    The setup on my Mojo3 puts the grips level with the saddle and the reach to the grips is 1/4Ē longer (with a 60 mm -6 deg. stem and 780 bar) than the Ripmo. The Ripmo demo setup was 55mm stem 0 deg and 800 bars. The grips were ~3/4 to 1Ē above the saddle. This setup feels short seated.

    I am trying to figure out what setup on the Ripmo will alleviate the hand pressure. I am 5í-8Ē and feel the medium is the correct size and I like the short wheelbase (1190mm). I am thinking a lowerise 780bar, 55-60mm -6 deg. stem.

    Anyone experienced this problem and have corrected it, if so how?
    Looking at geometrygeek.bike the Ripmo has a 32mm higher stack height. You should remove headsets spacers to get lower to your Mojo3 cockpit. Might need to run negative rise stem. That said you probably don't want to slam down all the way, the larger travel on the Ripmo will also tilt you more forward OTB on big hits .

  13. #1713
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Portti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    237
    Quote Originally Posted by ackshen View Post
    I thought I remembered seeing somewhere that Ibis was shipping Ripmos now with some sort of stretchy rubber guard that stopped rocks getting in the linkage. Mine doesn't have anything there,...
    I also remember some earlier discussions here related to Ibis putting some kind of protection to the upper link to protect it from rocks on the Ripmos delivered after certain time. However I can't seem to find those discussions anymore.

    Has somebody with recently delivered Ripmo had some protection on the upper link?

    I got my Ripmo mid-October after 6 months wait and it doesn't have any protection on the upper link and I was wondering if it should have something.
    Pertti
    Lahti, Finland
    MC Kramppi

  14. #1714
    MSH
    MSH is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MSH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    911
    Quote Originally Posted by Portti View Post
    I also remember some earlier discussions here related to Ibis putting some kind of protection to the upper link to protect it from rocks on the Ripmos delivered after certain time. However I can't seem to find those discussions anymore.

    Has somebody with recently delivered Ripmo had some protection on the upper link?

    I got my Ripmo mid-October after 6 months wait and it doesn't have any protection on the upper link and I was wondering if it should have something.
    I spoke with Kate at Ibis today regarding this and the frames are now shipping (within past couple months) with some sort of protection. If yours didnít come with anything she said to contact them and they will ship it out to you.Sounds like your frame may have just been shipped prior to them adding the protection to the frames?

  15. #1715
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    73

    Mudguard/Stoneguard

    I have spent pretty much time with this fukin feature, because I had some damages on HD4 in this spot. First of all it has completely different shape than by HD4. So first i tried to put the guard same as on your pictures, but due to movement of the rear linkage it was touching the rear tire very much. So after several tries in any kind of positioning and straightening I figured out, that that in comparison of HD4 it has to be separated in 2 pieces. Only than the rear guard does not touch the tire. And its still not perfect... See my pictures:
    Ibis Ripmo - 145/160mm long travel 29er-image1-3-.jpgIbis Ripmo - 145/160mm long travel 29er-image2-2-.jpgIbis Ripmo - 145/160mm long travel 29er-image3-1-.jpgIbis Ripmo - 145/160mm long travel 29er-inkedimage3-1-_li.jpg

  16. #1716
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Portti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    237
    Quote Originally Posted by MSH View Post
    I spoke with Kate at Ibis today regarding this and the frames are now shipping (within past couple months) with some sort of protection. If yours didnít come with anything she said to contact them and they will ship it out to you.Sounds like your frame may have just been shipped prior to them adding the protection to the frames?
    Thanks for the info MSH. I'll contact Ibis directly.

    Does anybody have pics on how the Ibis provided upper link protection looks like?
    Pertti
    Lahti, Finland
    MC Kramppi

  17. #1717
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    16
    Is in my Ute and very dark. Hope you can see this must cane back from a ride so bit dirty.

    Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

  18. #1718
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Portti View Post
    Thanks for the info MSH. I'll contact Ibis directly.

    Does anybody have pics on how the Ibis provided upper link protection looks like?
    my bike was ordered early November, shipped out early December to Aus. Both triangles had this guard on it.

  19. #1719
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    16

    My aussie ripmo build

    Ibis Ripmo - 145/160mm long travel 29er-49495946_2525741777441883_2557625816150179840_n.jpg
    My Build here in OZ.
    Gx drive train, fox performance front and back, ibis 938 wheels, maxxis 2.5 wt minion dhf and aggressor rear. upgrades include, xt 4 pots, carbon bars and 175 ks integra dropper.
    4 rides in and way better than I imagined. My thoughts after 2 rides here:

    Took bike for quick up and down at Douglas this arvo. Must say, and I know for 7k you will be getting good. But I didn't expect this good after one ride. So poppy and playful. Loves to jump gets air easy, I can't believe how well it Manuel's. Manueled stuff I never could before on rnr over 2nd trannies. It scared me.
    Insane grip 2.5 but new wt. You would never hate new bike day. But wow. I didn't get this from the others I rode. High tower, sb5.5 etc Climbs so easy can't believe it, went up wedge tail and it was so much easier than the LTC tallboy! More rotating mass on the tyres to get up to speed but then so quick. So light overall.
    I see why so many are starting to give it trail bike of 2019. So balanced in jumps you can feel weight down low and so beautiful to jump . Very surprised and thank God on paper it seems reality.

    ps this is bought with not one as close as 1600km, so a gamble with size and never ridden an IBIS. Just read and viewed everything on the internet. Very happy.

  20. #1720
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by Portti View Post
    Thanks for the info MSH. I'll contact Ibis directly.

    Does anybody have pics on how the Ibis provided upper link protection looks like?
    Best way to describe it is it feels like a bit of sandpaper.

  21. #1721
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale-Calgary View Post
    Best way to describe it is it feels like a bit of sandpaper.
    But thicker.

    Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

  22. #1722
    Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Reputation: alexbn921's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,713
    It's just a small stick on 7-8mm thick piece of rubber. There have been several pictures of it in the thread.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

  23. #1723
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    207
    Damn you Fox for coming out with the 175 dropper post after I got the bike.

  24. #1724
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    489
    Regarding the Linkage Tape, another Ripmo here purchased last week (in Aus) that has the tape there More details of the build will go into the Build Thread once I've got 2 little tweaks added

  25. #1725
    Well Biked
    Reputation: scepticshock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,877
    If Your Ripmo came without the link protector email Ibis, or contact your shop. They sent me out one fast after I noticed rocks were starting to mar it. It is a piece of rubber that sticks on there, and it seems to be doing a good job for the last few months.

  26. #1726
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Portti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    237
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale-Calgary View Post
    Best way to describe it is it feels like a bit of sandpaper.
    I had a new look on my frame and indeed there seems to be something resembling a sandpaper on the upper link on the same location as on mymasseur's pics.

    Can somebody explain what is the logic on the sandpaper thing? How is it preventing rocks/mud getting in the hole between the link? I would have assumed there would've been something on top of the link to cover the hole.
    Pertti
    Lahti, Finland
    MC Kramppi

  27. #1727
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by scepticshock View Post
    If Your Ripmo came without the link protector email Ibis, or contact your shop. They sent me out one fast after I noticed rocks were starting to mar it. It is a piece of rubber that sticks on there, and it seems to be doing a good job for the last few months.
    I emailed Ibis and got a response within 3 minutes saying they'd have one out to me ASAP. Great customer service. My frame, which I ordered in December, didn't come with it (which is weird, because it's got the '19 x2, and I figured it for sure would have the pad given it is likely a later production run?)

  28. #1728
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    33
    Just thought I'd share the Pantone codes I received from Ibis when I inquired in case anyone wanted them for custom decals or touch up paint:

    No true Pantone for the metallic blue, but PMS 8203 is close
    Lt. Blue accent - PMS 7458
    Orange - PMS 1505

  29. #1729
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    1
    I've watched the SRAM video on adjusting the 12 speed Eagle drivetrain at least a dozen times for clean crisp shifting and have never been completely satisfied with the results I get. I don't think the shop took any links out of my chain, could that be reason shifting is not perfect. I don't have a shock pump yet so letting the air out and measuring the sag isn't really an option. I'm 5'8" 187 lbs on a medium Ripmo NX build with GX Shifter and Derailleur. The chain is the Gold XX1 eagle. How many links have you taken out of the stock chain on your Ripmo if any?

    Thanks for the help.

  30. #1730
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    51
    In my experience, the eagle drivetrains are quite sensitive to chain length and b-screw adjustment. In order to get best performance, I'd definitely recommend begging, borrowing, or pleading for a shock pump and following Sram's instructions. Or just buy one, they're like $30 on amazon. Using that little red plastic thingy to get the right chain length was immensely helpful for me to get it shifting perfectly.

    Actually, before any of that, check the derailleur hanger alignment (Unfortunately, again... you need a special tool). Even new from factory, mine wasn't perfect when I built up the frame. I have no idea if your shop is good and checks this stuff when building up.

  31. #1731
    bad reputation
    Reputation: turfnsurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    437
    Quote Originally Posted by oliveguy2 View Post
    I've watched the SRAM video on adjusting the 12 speed Eagle drivetrain at least a dozen times for clean crisp shifting and have never been completely satisfied with the results I get. I don't think the shop took any links out of my chain, could that be reason shifting is not perfect. I don't have a shock pump yet so letting the air out and measuring the sag isn't really an option. I'm 5'8" 187 lbs on a medium Ripmo NX build with GX Shifter and Derailleur. The chain is the Gold XX1 eagle. How many links have you taken out of the stock chain on your Ripmo if any?

    Thanks for the help.
    Chain length needs to be measured with suspension fully squished, B-tension is set at sag. You absolutely need a shock pump unless your a pro mechanic that does it every day!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  32. #1732
    mtbr member
    Reputation: minimusprime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    698
    I usually make a little sag spacer for my bikes with eagle on them so that I can remove the shock, and bolt the 1x2 board in place. The board has two holes that are the same distance of the shock eyelet to eyelet size at my desired sag. I know this sounds excessive, but one of the (if not the most) important adjustments for good shifting performance on eagle is your b tension setting.

    Agreed on chain tension, just note that some bikes, the axle path is not 100% rearward meaning that in some rare cases, the axle ends up coming back towards the bottom bracket. These bikes are rare and the ripmo is not one of them, but just in terms of setting chain length in general, it's something to consider.

  33. #1733
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    33
    I got a bum Ripmo frame that had a spongy crackly right seat stay. It sucks but manufacturing defects happen. Ibis has been very responsive in getting it replaced. Super fast any easy. They are sending out the replacement before I even return rear triangle.
    The warranty support was one reason I went Ripmo over Offering and while this replacement was a no brainer, some companies screw up even the easy stuff.

  34. #1734
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by funkymonks View Post
    I got a bum Ripmo frame that had a spongy crackly right seat stay. It sucks but manufacturing defects happen. Ibis has been very responsive in getting it replaced. Super fast any easy. They are sending out the replacement before I even return rear triangle.
    The warranty support was one reason I went Ripmo over Offering and while this replacement was a no brainer, some companies screw up even the easy stuff.
    That's awesome.

    But I don't give Ibis any super ratings on service as I got my bike in October and they forgot to ship one small thing. The wheels.

    But they expedited it with the fastest shipping possible and I got it 10 days after that...

  35. #1735
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale-Calgary View Post
    That's awesome.

    But I don't give Ibis any super ratings on service as I got my bike in October and they forgot to ship one small thing. The wheels.

    But they expedited it with the fastest shipping possible and I got it 10 days after that...
    That sucks. Its always good to have more data points on service experiences. I admit I would be a little more irritated if it was May or we didn't just get dumped on with snow.

  36. #1736
    MSH
    MSH is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MSH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    911
    For those of you running a coil fork (specifically MRP Ribbon Coil) and the stock DPX2 curious on your thoughts on how the coil fork "plays" with the stock DPX2 and the progressive-regressive curve the Ripmo has? I just took delivery last week on my frame and transferring all the parts from my Spot Mayhem. My Ribbon Air is currently at MRP for 51-->46 offset change, 160 travel bump, and service. Toying with the idea of having them change it over to coil, but a bit on the fence with how it will jive with the DPX2 and Ripmo suspension characteristics

  37. #1737
    screamer
    Reputation: budgie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,323
    Quote Originally Posted by MSH View Post
    For those of you running a coil fork (specifically MRP Ribbon Coil) and the stock DPX2 curious on your thoughts on how the coil fork "plays" with the stock DPX2 and the progressive-regressive curve the Ripmo has? I just took delivery last week on my frame and transferring all the parts from my Spot Mayhem. My Ribbon Air is currently at MRP for 51-->46 offset change, 160 travel bump, and service. Toying with the idea of having them change it over to coil, but a bit on the fence with how it will jive with the DPX2 and Ripmo suspension characteristics
    Can't help you with the coil, but the Ribbon Air / DPX2 combo is sensational. While I haven't swapped out shocks or forks on the Ripmo to compare, I'd rate the two as very similar/compatible off the top, midstroke, and resisting bottoming. I'm coil-curious, tho...
    On heavy rotation: White Lung: Deep Fantasy

  38. #1738
    MSH
    MSH is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MSH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    911
    Quote Originally Posted by budgie View Post
    Can't help you with the coil, but the Ribbon Air / DPX2 combo is sensational. While I haven't swapped out shocks or forks on the Ripmo to compare, I'd rate the two as very similar/compatible off the top, midstroke, and resisting bottoming. I'm coil-curious, tho...
    Nice! Thx for the feedback Budgie. I absolutely loved the Ribbon Air at 140 on my Spot Mayhem for CO terrain and it mated well with the Mayhem/Spot suspension with the DPX2 I had on that bike, so I'm hesitant to change from that standpoint as well. Just reading the Ribbon thread in the Suspension forum it sounds like as you increase the travel to 150 or 160 the general feedback seems to be that the fork is better set up with coil. Whatever the case, I'm sure really cant go wrong either way.

  39. #1739
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by turfnsurf View Post
    Chain length needs to be measured with suspension fully squished, B-tension is set at sag. You absolutely need a shock pump unless your a pro mechanic that does it every day!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    shock pump is much easier but it can be done by pulling the rear triangle up with your arms and having a friend use the little SRAM tool and twisting the screws.
    I got that perfect flawless shifting on my X01 Ripmo with the little tool.

    Pretty sure hardly any shops (at least in Bay Area) know about this (or maybe dont care). If I ever have to bring it in now I specifically tell them dont touch my shifting after several shops screwed it up over the years even when not working on drivechain.

  40. #1740
    Too Much Fun
    Reputation: benja55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    2,287
    Quote Originally Posted by Buc_Nasty View Post
    shock pump is much easier but it can be done by pulling the rear triangle up with your arms and having a friend use the little SRAM tool and twisting the screws.
    I got that perfect flawless shifting on my X01 Ripmo with the little tool.
    Which tool are we talking about? Going to be putting a drivetrain on a Ripmo soon...
    - -benja- -

  41. #1741
    bad reputation
    Reputation: turfnsurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    437

    Ibis Ripmo - 145/160mm long travel 29er

    Quote Originally Posted by benja55 View Post
    Which tool are we talking about? Going to be putting a drivetrain on a Ripmo soon...
    This little plastic things slips over your derailleur pulley and is used to set the gap between the pulley and largest cog on the cassette when the suspension is at sag.



    p.s. It comes with a new derailleur, but not with a new bike and itís all red when new, I marked the etching with a black Sharpie, cuz Iím old & nearly blind!

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  42. #1742
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    77
    >It comes with a new derailleur, but not with a new bike

    If you don't have the tool, the gap is 14 mm at closest approach.

  43. #1743
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    108

    For owners of the blue/ orange. How's the paint holding up?

    Looking at ordering a Ripmo and although I like the look of the blue, Iím curious as to how the paint is holding up. Iíve owned a few Ibises in the past and all black except for a white Lugi. The Lugi looked pretty rough after a winter of gravel, hence the question.
    Thanks !

  44. #1744
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by Yerma View Post
    Looking at ordering a Ripmo and although I like the look of the blue, Iím curious as to how the paint is holding up. Iíve owned a few Ibises in the past and all black except for a white Lugi. The Lugi looked pretty rough after a winter of gravel, hence the question.
    Thanks !
    You are going to get paint chips on any carbon frame. I put invisiframe on mine and its held up 100% no chips. Ibis also sells touch up paint on their online store.

  45. #1745
    sbd
    sbd is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    708
    I just put helitape on the downtube. I've had my share of crashes and it still looks very nice.

    Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

  46. #1746
    Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Reputation: alexbn921's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,713
    Heli taped most of my bike. Really helps protect the Finnish
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

  47. #1747
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    2,498
    Chips will happen even with protection. Its a bike and shouldn't really be an issue with resale value. Whoever is buying a used bike shouldnt expect no chips otherwise they should buy a new bike. Even a new bike has tiny defects. I havent had a new bike that was perfect and didnt come with a tiny or scratch. Ride it like you dont care. You'll be a better rider.

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

  48. #1748
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    40
    Anyone have a idea on current lead time for Ibis Rimpos with Carbon Wheels (UK).
    I understand they are on back order, but just wondering if anyone has any recent experiance, or are also waiting (I just placed order last weekend, and LBS advised backorder / month wait).

    I just read some of the older post from mid last year were people were waiting 2 or 3 months, which I guess because it was so new and hot, however I would hope the supply issue would now be resolved. For me a 2 month wait would switch me to another brand (via the same LBS as they are excellent!).

  49. #1749
    Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Reputation: alexbn921's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,713
    Quote Originally Posted by DrEndoBars View Post
    Anyone have a idea on current lead time for Ibis Rimpos with Carbon Wheels (UK).
    I understand they are on back order, but just wondering if anyone has any recent experiance, or are also waiting (I just placed order last weekend, and LBS advised backorder / month wait).

    I just read some of the older post from mid last year were people were waiting 2 or 3 months, which I guess because it was so new and hot, however I would hope the supply issue would now be resolved. For me a 2 month wait would switch me to another brand (via the same LBS as they are excellent!).
    Still selling everyone they make before they are even made.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

  50. #1750
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    26
    how much are some of the ripmo builds weighing?

    and what is the shock to go with...the x2 or dpx2?

  51. #1751
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by ironpeddler View Post
    how much are some of the ripmo builds weighing?

    and what is the shock to go with...the x2 or dpx2?

    X01, 942 with factory fork and dpx2 29.1 without pedals.

  52. #1752
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,007
    Medium XX1, MRP Ribbon fork, DPX2, Enve 635 wheels: 28 pounds with pedals.
    Yeti SB100
    Ibis Ripmo
    Ibis Ripley LS V3
    Ibis Mojo HD4
    Pivot 429SL
    Pivot LES SS
    Some bikes with skinny tires

  53. #1753
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    304
    My build is a large, 2019 X2 / 36 GRIP2 factory. X01 Eagle, 942 carbon wheelset w/2.6" Rekon front, 2.6" XR2 rear. XT M8000 brakes w/XTR 180mm rotors F/R, RF Next 35mm carbon bars / 50mm Turbine stem, Lev Ci 175mm dropper. 28.1lbs with XTR M9000 pedals or 27.4 without. I may go with a lighter set of brakes to try and get it under 28lbs with pedals....the Magura MT Trails are looking pretty tempting. Seems like they may be more powerful than my XTs and quite a bit lighter.

  54. #1754
    BCM
    BCM is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    4
    Large, X01 Build, Grip2, Float X2, 942 with I9 hubs, with Shimano XTR PD-M9120 Pedals (16oz) and Fox 150mm dropper was 30 lb 2 Oz.

  55. #1755
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    16
    Medium Gx build. Ibis Carbon bars, ibis stem. xt 4 pot brakes, integra ls 175 dropper + south paw, ibis alloy wheels. wt 2.5 aggressor r, dhf. Mount adapter for bash chain guide. Absolute black chain guide bash guard, WTB seat. Crank brothers mallet e. Bbb water bottle holder. dpx2 shock. Fox 36 performance fork. Invisiframe skin and ams xxl honey comb on key areas. 14.4 kg.
    Will next swap out try 2.6 tyres, reading you can drop heaps of weight. different pedals would lighten easily. I haven't ridden x2 but can say as I have been reading dpx2 is an amazing bit of kit for the ripmo.
    Presently here in rotarua nz and the playful poppyness of it is awesome.

    Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mymasseur; 3 Weeks Ago at 11:14 AM. Reason: Forgot size

  56. #1756
    bad reputation
    Reputation: turfnsurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    437
    Quote Originally Posted by ironpeddler View Post
    how much are some of the ripmo builds weighing?

    and what is the shock to go with...the x2 or dpx2?
    Iím still not finished with my custom large build yet, but my wallet sure is feeling light!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  57. #1757
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    40
    Anyone tried the new transfer 175mm dropper in their Ripmo yet (any views on using for size XL?
    I think it's about to drop into the shops in the next couple of days to order.

  58. #1758
    Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Reputation: alexbn921's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,713
    Quote Originally Posted by DrEndoBars View Post
    Anyone tried the new transfer 175mm dropper in their Ripmo yet (any views on using for size XL?
    I think it's about to drop into the shops in the next couple of days to order.
    I have a 9point8 200mm on my XL with plenty of room for adjustment and it fits all the way into the frame.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

  59. #1759
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    I have a 9point8 200mm on my XL with plenty of room for adjustment and it fits all the way into the frame.
    Cool - thanks for thanking the time to reply, I see the 175mm transfers are out in the UK next week so will ask my LBS to fit as part ok my new bike build.
    Iím just under 6Ē 2 so really canít wait to try out with the new bike

  60. #1760
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnbag View Post
    Great Forum.
    Just pulled the trigger on a Large NX build. Plan to swap out brakes for Sram Code R (or Guide RSC) and have a set of STOIC CARBON UD 0.5 BB35 bars 12mm rise, 9 sweep with matching 35mm stem.
    I'm 5 11". Question is 35mm stem OK or am I best with the stock 50?
    Also i run my rear brake on the left, I assume no problem to cross cables?
    Thanks in advance
    Good call on swapping out the NX build brakes. They were on the bike I demoed (SRAM level I recall), I also found them terrible - like they werenít there which made me appreciate the stability and how composed the Ripmo was descending even in the wet and snow with no brakes!

    Same issue in the UK regarding the left vs right. There looks to be no provision re the routing, but works fine.

    Stems -itís all personal preference, and what feels right to you could be different to someone else (marmite/vegemite topic if you are UK or Aus). Sounds like you have the sizes youíre interested in, however if not you could always buy a couple of cheep stems and try them for sizing first, then buy a good one based on what size you like.

  61. #1761
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    26
    can anyone else speak on which shock is best? seems that most chose the dpx2, probably has a lot to do with cost but is there any input on the X2?

  62. #1762
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    16
    You ride most big jumps and hucks and bike parks then get x2. You ride bit of everything get dpx2. Dpx2 very capable down wild enduro trails. Have done ews trails in rotarua and great. But I also like to do big day riding scenic trails or ride up a mountain. Best of half half. Full blown down bike to x2.

    Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

  63. #1763
    Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Reputation: alexbn921's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,713
    I wish Ibis offered the DPX2 in the factory trim level.
    I have the 2019 X2 and it's absolutely amazing. it does require max spacers, but I would have max spacers in the DPX2 too. You need almost no high speed compression on the Ripmo. The only downside to the X2 is weight and cost. Out on the trail it does everything exactly the way I want it too regardless of the type of trail I'm riding.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

  64. #1764
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    489
    Quote Originally Posted by DrEndoBars View Post
    Anyone tried the new transfer 175mm dropper in their Ripmo yet (any views on using for size XL?
    I think it's about to drop into the shops in the next couple of days to order.
    I've got a Large Ripmo and using the Bike Yoke 185mm dropper, run my Fizik Gobi XM at 730mm from the BB, Still at least 45mm of seat post showing.

  65. #1765
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by ironpeddler View Post
    can anyone else speak on which shock is best? seems that most chose the dpx2, probably has a lot to do with cost but is there any input on the X2?
    Short answer is one is not directly better than the other. It comes down to your riding style and the trails you ride. They are both brilliant when used in their application or personal preference.
    Some people just want an X2 for its look on the bike as itís a downhill shock (even though their trails are not so).

    Cost was not a factor for me so it came down to personal preference.

    Long answer:
    Lots of different factors,
    I have found DPX brilliant for flowy, fast trails, and is super supportive so brilliant for popping off stuff. Iíve had no problem on double black diamond type trails and bike parks also. Itís also a lot easier and faster to set up, so more time out relaxing and enjoying the ride. Downside it can feel like runs out of travel on repeated big hits (very rocky trails or drop offs), but that is were the X2 comes in.

    The X2 on a demo bike I tried last year felt really good on very gnarly trails, or lots of rocky descending with lots big hits would be a good examples were I found less bottom out vs the DPX2 on the Ripmo (even after lots of time tuning). But here I am splitting hairs as the DPX2 was just as good too. Down side to the X2 could be for some riders the set up, as it does take a lot more tuning than either the performance or factory DPX2 to get set up right.

    If youíre very rocky, repeated big hits, want more bottom out protection, love seriously fine tuning a shocks, and are way more downhill oriented X2 is great.

    If you love supportive feel for popping off stuff, easy to set up, and can work fine almost everywhere apart from the DPX2 is great.

    Also Iíve found the different bikes and frames can hugely throw how a shock feels to so need to try them out on the same frame.

    Also rider weight is often called out as a factor for selecting the X2. Iím about 6Ē 2í and 230lb (Iím a bit of a rowing nut and eat wayyyyy to much pizza and ice cream) so could be classed as a heavy rider but not found that with the DPX2 just a more pressure needed.

    Personally Iíve gone for DPX2 as that suits me better than X2 for my trails and style.

    I wish ibis would spec (or add to the worx build as standard) the factory DPX2 as with the extra adjustability to me is the perfect sweet spot for adjustment between the 2. Also looks cool in the gold

    If unsure- ask your lbs if they would switch out your shock for an X2 to try before you buy. Also a lot of demo Ripmo bike have X2ís specíd to try.
    Last edited by DrEndoBars; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:25 AM.

  66. #1766
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    18
    Any current owners have experience with the 29er Slash vs the Ripmo? Iím currently debating wether to upgrade my 18 Slash 9.7 or just sell it and get a Ripmo/Smash with the spec that I want.

  67. #1767
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by DrEndoBars View Post
    Short answer is one is not directly better than the other. It comes down to your riding style and the trails you ride. They are both brilliant when used in their application or personal preference.
    Some people just want an X2 for its look on the bike as itís a downhill shock (even though their trails are not so).

    Cost was not a factor for me so it came down to personal preference.

    Long answer:
    Lots of different factors,
    I have found DPX brilliant for flowy, fast trails, and is super supportive so brilliant for popping off stuff. Iíve had no problem on double black diamond type trails and bike parks also. Itís also a lot easier and faster to set up, so more time out relaxing and enjoying the ride. Downside it can feel like runs out of travel on repeated big hits (very rocky trails or drop offs), but that is were the X2 comes in.

    The X2 on a demo bike I tried last year felt really good on very gnarly trails, or lots of rocky descending with lots big hits would be a good examples were I found less bottom out vs the DPX2 on the Ripmo (even after lots of time tuning). But here I am splitting hairs as the DPX2 was just as good too. Down side to the X2 could be for some riders the set up, as it does take a lot more tuning than either the performance or factory DPX2 to get set up right.

    If youíre very rocky, repeated big hits, want more bottom out protection, love seriously fine tuning a shocks, and are way more downhill oriented X2 is great.

    If you love supportive feel for popping off stuff, easy to set up, and can work fine almost everywhere apart from the DPX2 is great.

    Also Iíve found the different bikes and frames can hugely throw how a shock feels to so need to try them out on the same frame.

    Also rider weight is often called out as a factor for selecting the X2. Iím about 6Ē 2í and 230lb (Iím a bit of a rowing nut and eat wayyyyy to much pizza and ice cream) so could be classed as a heavy rider but not found that with the DPX2 just a more pressure needed.

    Personally Iíve gone for DPX2 as that suits me better than X2 for my trails and style.

    I wish ibis would spec (or add to the worx build as standard) the factory DPX2 as with the extra adjustability to me is the perfect sweet spot for adjustment between the 2. Also looks cool in the gold

    If unsure- ask your lbs if they would switch out your shock for an X2 to try before you buy. Also a lot of demo Ripmo bike have X2ís specíd to try.
    thanks for the reply and replies. It is kind of weird that ibis offers the factory x2 but not the factory dpx2, i am assuming it might be some kind of stock issue, but that is an easy switch if need be.

  68. #1768
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by Shredur View Post
    Any current owners have experience with the 29er Slash vs the Ripmo? Iím currently debating wether to upgrade my 18 Slash 9.7 or just sell it and get a Ripmo/Smash with the spec that I want.
    Yes I have a few experinces. everything is the main purpose of the bike.

    If you stay a lot in bikeparks = slash, its more DH orientated
    If you stay more in trails = ripmo
    * fast and light bike = ripmo
    * climber = ripmo
    * allrounder = ripmo
    * steepeater = slash
    * technical trails = ripmo

    Just choose according your main usage

  69. #1769
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    18
    I donít foresee hitting many bike parks. I could always rent a bike for the rare occasion. I stay in the pisgah/DuPont area

  70. #1770
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ReXTless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    445
    Quote Originally Posted by ironpeddler View Post
    thanks for the reply and replies. It is kind of weird that ibis offers the factory x2 but not the factory dpx2, i am assuming it might be some kind of stock issue, but that is an easy switch if need be.
    I ordered the factory dpx2 with my frame. Love it.


  71. #1771
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by ReXTless View Post
    I ordered the factory dpx2 with my frame. Love it.
    Thatís cool! Are you in the US? In the UK here looks like itís DPX2 or X2. However the LBS are super great at modding build kits at reasonable cost
    For the price Werx build kits, would think Ibis include or at least include as upgrade option.

    Could I ask what the time ID is for the factory DPX2 which Ibis specs?

  72. #1772
    Ride or Die!
    Reputation: CasinoKiD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    770
    I currently have a Ripmo size large being built. I went with a Fox transfer post 150mm. My inseam is about 32-33Ē im wondering if I should of went with a 175mm Transfer? Would a 175mm be too tall for me at full extension?

  73. #1773
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by CasinoKiD View Post
    I currently have a Ripmo size large being built. I went with a Fox transfer post 150mm. My inseam is about 32-33Ē im wondering if I should of went with a 175mm Transfer? Would a 175mm be too tall for me at full extension?
    I'm on a medium and would have gone for the 175 if it was available

  74. #1774
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skinnybex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    2,221
    Quote Originally Posted by CasinoKiD View Post
    I currently have a Ripmo size large being built. I went with a Fox transfer post 150mm. My inseam is about 32-33Ē im wondering if I should of went with a 175mm Transfer? Would a 175mm be too tall for me at full extension?
    Yeah, you could have easily went 175mm
    Iím the same dimension as you and I could make a 200mm fit but unfortunately it would contact the Tire/seat at 200
    Yeti SB130
    Yeti SB100
    Yeti SB5.5
    Trans Sentinel
    Ibis Ripmo
    Yeti SB4.5
    Orbea Rallon
    Devinci Spartan
    Devinci Troy

  75. #1775
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skinnybex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    2,221
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale-Calgary View Post
    I'm on a medium and would have gone for the 175 if it was available
    The Oneup dropper works just as well as the Fox Transfer, I have a 170mm on mine. I do realize lots of people want Matchy Matchy with the Kashima

  76. #1776
    Ride or Die!
    Reputation: CasinoKiD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    770
    I just emailed the shop...hopefully itís not too late and they can make the change.

  77. #1777
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by ReXTless View Post
    I ordered the factory dpx2 with my frame. Love it.

    What's your weight and which volume spacer did you end up going with? I also have a DPX2 factory for mine as well but I am still putting everything together.

  78. #1778
    Ride or Die!
    Reputation: CasinoKiD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    770
    Quote Originally Posted by funkymonks View Post
    What's your weight and which volume spacer did you end up going with? I also have a DPX2 factory for mine as well but I am still putting everything together.
    Iím interested in this as well. My Ripmo is coming with a Factory DPX2. I weigh about 202lbs geared up and wondering about the spacers as well.

  79. #1779
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnybex View Post
    The Oneup dropper works just as well as the Fox Transfer, I have a 170mm on mine. I do realize lots of people want Matchy Matchy with the Kashima
    I've gotten picky on my dropper after the old bikes reverb so I wanted the fox transfer. And its the black one.

  80. #1780
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by CasinoKiD View Post
    Iím interested in this as well. My Ripmo is coming with a Factory DPX2. I weigh about 202lbs geared up and wondering about the spacers as well.
    The dpx2 comes with a 0.4 and I just put a 0.8 (2 larger) and I'm about the same geared up. I never found the travel being a problem but it won't hurt. Got a spacer kit from Worldwide so I can change as needed.

    Will have to wait until the Hurricane MTB festival to test it.

  81. #1781
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by CasinoKiD View Post
    I currently have a Ripmo size large being built. I went with a Fox transfer post 150mm. My inseam is about 32-33Ē im wondering if I should of went with a 175mm Transfer? Would a 175mm be too tall for me at full extension?
    You will be fine. Iíve just ordered a 175mm factory for my Ripmo XL and Iím same in seam of 33Ē

  82. #1782
    sbd
    sbd is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    708
    I am on a large with a 175

    It's kinda nuts how low it goes. Pretty much a BMX bike.



    Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

  83. #1783
    Ride or Die!
    Reputation: CasinoKiD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    770
    So the 150mm I originally ordered with the Nike Build was bavmnordered till next week and the 175mm is back ordered till the end of the month. Needless to say I said f it and went with the 175 and Iíll have to wait to get my bike, but at least it will have everything I want.

  84. #1784
    mtbr member
    Reputation: c-wal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    449
    Quote Originally Posted by ReXTless View Post
    I ordered the factory dpx2 with my frame. Love it.

    What is the tune ID of the fa Tory dpx2? Did it come spec'd from Ibis or ordered separately?

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

  85. #1785
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ReXTless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    445

    Ibis Ripmo - 145/160mm long travel 29er

    Quote Originally Posted by c-wal View Post
    What is the tune ID of the fa Tory dpx2? Did it come spec'd from Ibis or ordered separately?

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Code is ďDHHFĒ.

    It came from the LBS, not Ibis.

  86. #1786
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ReXTless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    445
    Quote Originally Posted by funkymonks View Post
    What's your weight and which volume spacer did you end up going with? I also have a DPX2 factory for mine as well but I am still putting everything together.
    Iím 220 lbs. Using the 0.6 spacer.

  87. #1787
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    86
    Any insights on stock GX-build's Deore 4-piston brakes?

  88. #1788
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    267
    I ended going with the XT 4-piston on my Ripmo, which have been great. Recently put the
    Deore 4-piston on my fatbike and they have been very similar in terms of power and modulation. Very happy with both.

  89. #1789
    Well Biked
    Reputation: scepticshock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,877

    Foam Lower linkage protector

    Here's the foam lower linkage protector that Ibis sent me. It keeps rocks from getting lodged in there, and damaging the carbon. So far it seems to be staying in place.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  90. #1790
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,101
    So I broke the bike down for the first time for a thorough cleaning. With the shock removed the friction in the linkages seems pretty pronounced. I was expecting more friction than my Hightower with full bearings but it seemed pretty excessive.

    Anybody know if Ibis recs a specific grease for the bushings? I was just using park high performance synthetic lube.

  91. #1791
    mtbr member
    Reputation: objectuser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    445
    Quote Originally Posted by scepticshock View Post
    Here's the foam lower linkage protector that Ibis sent me. It keeps rocks from getting lodged in there, and damaging the carbon. So far it seems to be staying in place.
    Interesting! @scepticshock Would you mind posting a picture of it on the bike?

  92. #1792
    Well Biked
    Reputation: scepticshock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,877
    Quote Originally Posted by objectuser View Post
    Interesting! @scepticshock Would you mind posting a picture of it on the bike?
    Sure. Here it is fresh from a ride.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  93. #1793
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by scepticshock View Post
    Sure. Here it is fresh from a ride.
    I'd think that it should be up a bit higher with the links in the cutouts based on the shape of the foam.

  94. #1794
    Well Biked
    Reputation: scepticshock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,877
    Quote Originally Posted by TX_CLG View Post
    I'd think that it should be up a bit higher with the links in the cutouts based on the shape of the foam.
    Yeah, it should be a drop higher. I just need to adjust it a bit after a ride.

  95. #1795
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DrewBird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,097
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty904 View Post
    So I broke the bike down for the first time for a thorough cleaning. With the shock removed the friction in the linkages seems pretty pronounced. I was expecting more friction than my Hightower with full bearings but it seemed pretty excessive.

    Anybody know if Ibis recs a specific grease for the bushings? I was just using park high performance synthetic lube.
    When did you get your bike? If it was very early in the Ripmoís product life, Iíd suggest contacting Ibis with a serial number. They made a few running changes early on to bushing tolerances; my Ripmo, which was one of the first XLs off the boat in the US, seems to have shipped with the older, higher-friction bushings. Of course Ibis immediately took care of me via their always-spectuactual customer service.

  96. #1796
    May contain nuts
    Reputation: Haggis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,248
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewBird View Post
    When did you get your bike? If it was very early in the Ripmoís product life, Iíd suggest contacting Ibis with a serial number. They made a few running changes early on to bushing tolerances; my Ripmo, which was one of the first XLs off the boat in the US, seems to have shipped with the older, higher-friction bushings. Of course Ibis immediately took care of me via their always-spectuactual customer service.
    Really canít say enough good things about Ibis customer support. Every email Iíve sent gets answered by the company founder Scott Nicol who deals with the issue completely. What other bike company even comes close?

  97. #1797
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty904 View Post
    So I broke the bike down for the first time for a thorough cleaning. With the shock removed the friction in the linkages seems pretty pronounced. I was expecting more friction than my Hightower with full bearings but it seemed pretty excessive.

    Anybody know if Ibis recs a specific grease for the bushings? I was just using park high performance synthetic lube.
    Just read on the ibis website it say's to use slick honey for the bushes.

    Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

  98. #1798
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    207
    Ibis Ripmo - 145/160mm long travel 29er-img_6967-1.jpg

    Loving the way the new orange stickers on the wheels gives it a color pop.

  99. #1799
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    11
    So I broke the axle inside the rear hub yesterday( I9 w/ 942ís).
    Started acting strange right at the end of the ride( whipping the chain when ever the rear tire left the ground /and dropped my first chain on this bike), got home was cleaning up and decided to take off the rear wheel for inspection and the free hub and cassette fell off 😳.
    Took it to The shop I bought it they are doing what they can.
    Just thought I would share.

  100. #1800
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by Krimp View Post
    So I broke the axle inside the rear hub yesterday( I9 w/ 942ís).
    Started acting strange right at the end of the ride( whipping the chain when ever the rear tire left the ground /and dropped my first chain on this bike), got home was cleaning up and decided to take off the rear wheel for inspection and the free hub and cassette fell off 😳.
    Took it to The shop I bought it they are doing what they can.
    Just thought I would share.

    Keep us updated. Not sure what warranty i9 gives us.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-03-2014, 05:25 PM
  2. 100mm by 145 mm Square Taper BB
    By sryanak in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-25-2012, 04:18 PM
  3. Crank Brothers Joplin 4 Dropper Seatpost for $145!
    By KVW in forum Where are the Best Deals?
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-16-2012, 02:50 PM
  4. Saddles that are 140-145 wide?
    By Raybum in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-05-2011, 12:55 PM
  5. Flow or Arch rims for 145 lb rider on RIP9
    By farmertan in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 02-21-2011, 10:11 AM

Members who have read this thread: 965

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.