Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,300 of 1646
    mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I put approximately 2,500 miles on my switchblade, and I built up my Ripmo about three weeks ago, close to 150 miles on it so far. The Switchblade is a fantastic, do everything trail bike that's capable of handling the rough stuff. I rode the switchblade on rocky, fast trails with big hits.
    My ripmo has the grip2 fork and an x2. The Ripmo feels much more stable at speed and has much more traction than the switchblade. The ripmo is more planted and comfortable in high speed, rough situations, whereas the switchblade is pushed towards the edge of it's comfort zone.
    The ripmo is just as fun as the switchblade on less technical, smooth trails and leaves little to be desired while climbing for the size of the bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by veganshredder View Post
    I put approximately 2,500 miles on my switchblade, and I built up my Ripmo about three weeks ago, close to 150 miles on it so far. The Switchblade is a fantastic, do everything trail bike that's capable of handling the rough stuff. I rode the switchblade on rocky, fast trails with big hits.
    My ripmo has the grip2 fork and an x2. The Ripmo feels much more stable at speed and has much more traction than the switchblade. The ripmo is more planted and comfortable in high speed, rough situations, whereas the switchblade is pushed towards the edge of it's comfort zone.
    The ripmo is just as fun as the switchblade on less technical, smooth trails and leaves little to be desired while climbing for the size of the bike.
    Hi !
    Could you tell me what are your size and the sizes of the bikes ?
    I'm hesitating between the two bikes...
    I want a fun bike not for speed but fun to go up and down.
    The switchblade seems very fun but is expensive and two year old and there's not much reduction on it. I'm 5.11 and hesitate to take the ripmo in L and loose a part of its fun... or have a very long seat tube out in M...
    Thanks !

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Garulfo View Post
    I'm 5.11 and hesitate to take the ripmo in L and loose a part of its fun... or have a very long seat tube out in M...
    Thanks !
    5'11" is in my opinion the IDEAL size for a L

I am just over 6 feet and if I was any bigger I'd move up to a XL

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quick 6 ride review: I rode the Curt Gowdy trails in WY 3 days in a row. If you're not familiar, they did a really great job building trails here. The main part of the trail is beginner to intermediate, but they built-in expert "play areas" and longer expert offshoots that connect back to the main trail. We sessioned all the play areas and rode most of the expert trail offshoots.

The one area I was concerned about with the Ripmo was slow and twisty, steep technical rocky climbs. Happy to report that the Ripmo conquered these sections without hesitation. My buddy was riding a Transition Patrol and seemed to struggle on sections that the Ripmo made it up and over with ease.

The Ripmo does everything my Pivot Mach 5.5 can do, only with less effort. I feel less tired and fatigued both during and at the end of rides. The more I ride the Ripmo, the more I love it. Great bike!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gfowkes View Post

The Ripmo does everything my Pivot Mach 5.5 can do, only with less effort. I feel less tired and fatigued both during and at the end of rides. The more I ride the Ripmo, the more I love it. Great bike!
    Interesting... I am on a Mach 5.5 and just snatched a Ripmo frame that appeared out of the blue on BC/CC. Can't wait to build it up and see if I feel the same way!
    Last edited by JC822; 07-09-2018 at 09:36 AM. Reason: typo

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Thanks for the input here--this has helped.
    Lowered air pressure helped tremendously. My settings are currently quite similar to yours, but I'm not done adjusting.
    I'm currently experimenting with one additional air token (two total), 80 psi, and after a weekend with lots of downhill, I have also opened up the HSC quite a bit too. Lots of big chatter marks on the local trails that are more reasonable now (still beat me into submission after a day of riding, though). I also ran some slower, steeper rooty/rocky stuff that still left 40 or 50 mm unused--I may try dropping 4 or 5 psi.

For the record I am also ~190 lbs ready to ride.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCanary View Post
    Still fine tuning but got pretty close out of the gate with ShockWiz assist.
    Big key is more tokens, fork came with one, up to 3 now. I prefer doing more with spring rate and progression than compression damping when possible.

RTR #190. Enjoy wide open, fast Rocky Mountain descents, though lately slower rocky, rooty, steep rolls and drops where the tokens have really helped to keep from diving into the wheel keepers along the way. The settings may look confusing, sorry, I keep track from the closest stop to make checking clicks quicker. FO - from open, FC - from closed.

75 psi
    LSC: 4-5 FO, HSC: 1-3 FO, LSR: 6-7 FC, HSR 3-4 FC

I don't do much with sag, usually start with recommended psi and adjust, in this case down as tokens were added. Then adjust with riding for front to rear balance(no hobby horsing), travel used, control during braking, and getting the wheel up and over stuff(manual). FWIW probably around 20% static standing sag and 11% dynamic sag(ShockWiz).
    Stiction and small bump with the G2 have been good with low fatigue riding approaching the coil feel. Thinking the G2 damper might be really good with the ACS3 coil conversion though.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by dmarsh15 View Post
    Ditch the KS for the Bike Yoke Revive, you wont be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Schril View Post
    Agree 100%.
    Yup, 100% agree too

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Im about 190 and i have my hsc open all the way for the fork and shock. As long as you don't bottom out and u have proper sag i think its the way to go.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2014
    There is a really nice long term review out on NSMB if anyone is interested:

https://nsmb.com/articles/2018-ibis-ripmo-reviewed/

I think the NSMB reviews are definetely some of the most thorough and honest out there.
    Instagram: "lubbduro"

SISSIF
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazenhart View Post
    Thanks for the input here--this has helped.
    Lowered air pressure helped tremendously. My settings are currently quite similar to yours, but I'm not done adjusting.
    I'm currently experimenting with one additional air token (two total), 80 psi, and after a weekend with lots of downhill, I have also opened up the HSC quite a bit too. Lots of big chatter marks on the local trails that are more reasonable now (still beat me into submission after a day of riding, though). I also ran some slower, steeper rooty/rocky stuff that still left 40 or 50 mm unused--I may try dropping 4 or 5 psi.

For the record I am also ~190 lbs ready to ride.
    Glad it got you going in the right direction. Since then, as jacksonlui has said, I had backed off all the HSC and most of the LSC. The fork did very well for traction and handling, stayed pretty composed, but, with the extra seals needed for air, could never get quite as good small bump and chatter control as coil. So now trying an Ohlins RXF coil Fork with 51mm offset to compare.
    So far liking the coil feel for less fatigue and more comfort overall, coil also rides higher with better mid support and helps the bike feel better on steeper descents. 51 offset noticeably quicker on steering but, with the longer front center of the Ripmo, still locks in and carves well.
    Only negative is the front end being a little busier on steep climbs, still better than most bikes I've ridden.
    Probably stick with the Ohlins for now.
    Last edited by TheCanary; 07-12-2018 at 05:57 PM.
    Big Wheels and Fat Skis keep me young.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lubb1 View Post

I think the NSMB reviews are definetely some of the most thorough and honest out there.
    Thanks! Another very positive review.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lubb1 View Post

Good review. I agree with the offset part. I tried the fork with the stock 46mm offset and the bike did handle slightly quicker/more stable through turns. Turns on flat corners felt weird since the wheel was tucked much more under you. I'm sure you would get use to that.

On steep stuff the front end felt very twitchy with the 46mm offset. I prefer the 51mm myself and can get into turns just as quick with the 51mm without the compromise of the twitchy front end on steep terrain. I think the 46mm offset would have paired better if the bike was a degree slacker IMO.

As is I have been shattering PR's up and down on this bike since I've had it with an old school 51mm offset fork..lol

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Anyone out there a bigger guy like myself (6 ft,270) on The Ripmo? I am trying to determine which shock to go with for l know the DPX2 has 50lbs larger psi available but seems like the X2 could help with big hits? I live in NC and will visit Pisgah and other trails but no big drops near me if that helps. Any suggestions would be great!

mtbr member
    The DPX2 was not valved right for my body 6í2 240, the X2 would be better. Even with the rebound at full slow it couldnít slow it enough for the pressure I need for 30% sag

mtbr member
    Sounds like the 2019 X2s are to be expected now. The max PSI is upped to 300, and can take 4 spacer pairs in the 210x55 size used in the Ripmo.

[Edit] Oh, the EVOL DPX2 goes to 350, so RockyRdWarrior was probably already accounting for the 2019 X2 improvement when mentioning the DPX2 having 50 PSI more headroom.
    Last edited by Liquidmantis; 07-13-2018 at 10:28 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquidmantis View Post
    Sounds like the 2019 X2s are to be expected now. The max PSI is upped to 300, and can take 4 spacer pairs in the 210x55 size used in the Ripmo.
    Any way to tell externally a 2018 from the 2019?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by b00001 View Post
    Any way to tell externally a 2018 from the 2019?
    It'll say 250 Max PSI on the 2018 air can by the valve, and 300 Max PSI on the 2019.

2019 example:
    Name:  2018-07-13_11-23-18.png
Views: 2551
Size:  46.1 KB

mtbr member
    It'll say 250 Max PSI on the 2018 air can by the valve, and 300 Max PSI on the 2019.

2019 example:
    Name:  2018-07-13_11-23-18.png
Views: 2551
Size:  46.1 KB
    Thank you very much!

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Thank you very much!
    Each shock (X2/DPX2) went up 50lb PSI max this year for last year model for shocks I was only looking at DPX2.

Just trying to find the one that won't bottom out on me and one that has great small bump compliance over roots, rocks, and chunder here in NC. Not planning to be off the ground too often at my size

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyRdWarrior View Post
    Anyone out there a bigger guy like myself (6 ft,270) on The Ripmo? I am trying to determine which shock to go with for l know the DPX2 has 50lbs larger psi available but seems like the X2 could help with big hits? I live in NC and will visit Pisgah and other trails but no big drops near me if that helps. Any suggestions would be great!
    I big like yourself and I think the X2 is going to be better. Other things to address are the brakes on the NX or GX builds. The brakes on those two builds will be useless for us big guys and will be total garbage in Pisgah. I question the Ibis hubs too. Anyone know if the internals are DTSwiss? If not I plan on selling them when they are still new and having a set of wheels built up. Please let us know how you like it I plan on buying a new bike this winter and the Ripmo is at the top of my list of bikes I'm interested in.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    For what it's worth:
    According to Ibis, the off-the-shelf tune for the DPX2 has higher compression dampening compared to Ibis's custom tune. This may make a Fox-sourced DPX2 more usable for you. Recognizing that I am riding at a comparably lesser 190#, I have found the Fox-tuned DPX2 Factory to be supportive yet compliant. I have yet to truly bottom it out.

Each shock (X2/DPX2) went up 50lb PSI max this year for last year model for shocks I was only looking at DPX2.

Just trying to find the one that won't bottom out on me and one that has great small bump compliance over roots, rocks, and chunder here in NC. Not planning to be off the ground too often at my size

mtbr member
    I ended up putting some Saints on 203 front and 180 rear and I will never go back to other brakes again.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mport78 View Post
    I big like yourself and I think the X2 is going to be better. Other things to address are the brakes on the NX or GX builds. The brakes on those two builds will be useless for us big guys and will be total garbage in Pisgah. I question the Ibis hubs too. Anyone know if the internals are DTSwiss? If not I plan on selling them when they are still new and having a set of wheels built up. Please let us know how you like it I plan on buying a new bike this winter and the Ripmo is at the top of my list of bikes I'm interested in.
    Exactly, l thought bout going the shimano route but then again l found the best places to look are Wrench Science, Comp. Cyclists, Jenson however l donít think Fanatik has a build up of what l need/want to go with when it comes to brakes/wheels/suspension. I am looking for DT Swiss hubs and EX511 wheels (286lb limit) or Ibis wheels with DT Swiss hubs and Shimano Brakes (XT/XTR)

mtbr member
    Before you change shocks for more pressure allowance, make sure youíve maxed out the spacers first. I never knew the difference it made before trying on my CC DBIL. Could stay at same pressure but avoid the bottom outs, with more mid-stroke support, by adding another spacer or two.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Murchman View Post
    I ended up putting some Saints on 203 front and 180 rear and I will never go back to other brakes again.
    yea the stock brakes on the Ripmo are just silly. Codes going on my Ripmo which I see is what Hightower LT gets for 2019 as well after the silly guides it came with last year. I'd argue all these 29er freight trains need power brakes - makes such a difference

mtbr member
    I was afraid they would be too much but after the first ride I knew they were just what I was looking for. They were not over powering like I thought they would be just nice power delivery with less effort and very consistent.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Exactly, l thought bout going the shimano route but then again l found the best places to look are Wrench Science, Comp. Cyclists, Jenson however l donít think Fanatik has a build up of what l need/want to go with when it comes to brakes/wheels/suspension. I am looking for DT Swiss hubs and EX511 wheels (286lb limit) or Ibis wheels with DT Swiss hubs and Shimano Brakes (XT/XTR)
    I like where your head is at. I looked at all those site's too but replacing the wheels, brakes, and maybe dropper and selling the old equipment seems like a better deal to get the equipment I want.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Buc_Nasty View Post
    yea the stock brakes on the Ripmo are just silly. Codes going on my Ripmo which I see is what Hightower LT gets for 2019 as well after the silly guides it came with last year. I'd argue all these 29er freight trains need power brakes - makes such a difference
    I was thinking of going with 203 font/rear but def. need to check out the Saints!

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I like where your head is at. I looked at all those site's too but replacing the wheels, brakes, and maybe dropper and selling the old equipment seems like a better deal to get the equipment I want.
    Yea l have friends who do the buy/sell thing all day long it seems and not worth my time. Rather buy what l want outright especially since the closest dealer is 180 miles.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

That's something we run into with most of our customers. We've found the Ibis wheels are durable and haven't had any issues with failure regardless of rider weight. Wheels, brakes, and suspension are one of the first things we go over with clients when planning a build. We recognize that stock kits dont always exactly fit a customer's needs, so we're able to swap out parts to make sure the bike is set for it's rider and optimized for its intended use. Feel free to give us a call with any questions! Happy to help

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeCo.com View Post
    That's something we run into with most of our customers. We've found the Ibis wheels are durable and haven't had any issues with failure regardless of rider weight. Wheels, brakes, and suspension are one of the first things we go over with clients when planning a build. We recognize that stock kits dont always exactly fit a customer's needs, so we're able to swap out parts to make sure the bike is set for it's rider and optimized for its intended use. Feel free to give us a call with any questions! Happy to help
    This is good to know. When I'm ready to go ahead with this I will reach out to you and see what you can do for me.

Living the Dream
    Does anyone know if there is an RWC needle bearing kit for the Ripmo? I have a spare kit for the Evil following (21.8mm), and in a Fanatic Bike Video, they claim that the same kit will work for Knolly, Santa Cruz and Ibis shocks as well (HD4, Mojo3, and Ripley LS frames). Thanks,
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

SISSIF
    I was thinking of going with 203 font/rear but def. need to check out the Saints!
    Looking for more as well. The Guides and Codes modulate well enough I'll be going 200 rotors front and rear. 180 just doesn't cut it out back.

SISSIF
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpenglow View Post
    Does anyone know if there is an RWC needle bearing kit for the Ripmo? I have a spare kit for the Evil following (21.8mm), and in a Fanatic Bike Video, they claim that the same kit will work for Knolly, Santa Cruz and Ibis shocks as well (HD4, Mojo3, and Ripley LS frames). Thanks,
    Don't see the need, not much rotation on the Ripmo shock mounts.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpenglow View Post
    I doubt a needle bearing kit will do anything for u.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Well Biked
    Is anyone here using ShockWiz to tune their Ripmo? What exactly is dynamic sag, and what number are you going for? Everyone seems to be making a big deal about going with 25% static sag. Is that also the ideal Dynamic sag range?

SISSIF
    I've had good luck with the ShockWiz, if you know what you want, but I'm kind of a gizmo loving button pusher.
    Dynamic sag is average sag while pedaling. Since most of my rides are long climbs to fun descents the dynamic sag can be pretty low for the fork and a little high for the shock. Might be more accurate on flat terrain.
    Ripmo DS currently on Fox X2 is 27%, Fox 36 G2 11%.

Well Biked
    I've had good luck with the ShockWiz, if you know what you want, but I'm kind of a gizmo loving button pusher.
    Dynamic sag is average sag while pedaling. Since most of my rides are long climbs to fun descents the dynamic sag can be pretty low for the fork and a little high for the shock. Might be more accurate on flat terrain.
    Ripmo DS currently on Fox X2 is 27%, Fox 36 G2 11%.
    Thanks! I think I had around 27 on the Float X2 last ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    So now trying an Ohlins RXF coil Fork with 51mm offset to compare.
    So far liking the coil feel for less fatigue and more comfort overall, coil also rides higher with better mid support and helps the bike feel better on steeper descents. 51 offset noticeably quicker on steering but, with the longer front center of the Ripmo, still locks in and carves well.
    Probably stick with the Ohlins for now.
    Thanks for this, Canary. Have been interested to hear reports once some people put Coil forks up front... The Push ACS-3 was by far the biggest game changer of any tweak I put on my Following.

With its modern front end, I often wonder how an ACS-3 would be on the Ripmo. It is a one-way trip w/ your fork, and (supposedly) the Grip2 is so good. Even the Colorado suspension gurus (DirtLabs) - who sold me on the ACS-3 - told me to hold off and give the Grip2 a good try... they like it that much.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by bajaguy View Post
    I think the 46mm offset would have paired better if the bike was a degree slacker IMO.

As is I have been shattering PR's up and down on this bike since I've had it with an old school 51mm offset fork..lol
    Yeah, I believe someone in the comments of that review mentioned using an angleset instead of switching the fork as a cheaper/easier fix.

Another said he had a -1.5* and said he like the bike much more. At which point, it's getting in the neighborhood of the Transition Sentinel. Now THAT would be an interesting Compare-O!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I bought my Ripmo from Fanatik and they were super easy to work with and I was able to spec a bunch of stuff they didn't list on their builder. Hit them up on live chat and at least ask about what you want. It was nice having my bike show up exactly how I wanted and not have to dealing with buying and selling a bunch of stuff.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scruffy mike View Post
    I bought my Ripmo from Fanatik and they were super easy to work with and I was able to spec a bunch of stuff they didn't list on their builder. Hit them up on live chat and at least ask about what you want. It was nice having my bike show up exactly how I wanted and not have to dealing with buying and selling a bunch of stuff.
    +1 for Fanatik, got my Ripmo from them too. I had a few items I planned to install (wheels, bars, cranks) but needed the balance. Super easy to get just what you want, and they gave me a "complete bike" discount even though I didn't buy the complete bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Anyone have any info on the current lead times for the Ripmo? I put in an order and was told I am looking at September/October and am wondering if anyone got a better time frame than that.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtDogVT View Post
    Anyone have any info on the current lead times for the Ripmo? I put in an order and was told I am looking at September/October and am wondering if anyone got a better time frame than that.
    My order from March 31 has not been delivered yet, they keep pushing delivery date over and over again.

I am EXTREMELY disappointed at how they have handled it. They seem to have some serious issues with their order/queue-system. No FIFO there... it's a ****ing lottery.

mtbr member
    April here as well, Ibis saying early August now.....originally was mid June, then end of June/early July, now August.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Feel for you guys..Got my XL black X2 frame last week, ordered it early may from a Swedish dealer. Came with 2019 X2, looking forward to building it up next week.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    April here as well, Ibis saying early August now.....originally was mid June, then end of June/early July, now August.
    Meant March 31... almost 4 months now. Seen people that ordered later with the same spec that has got their bikes... hence lottery.

Hope Ibis could get their act together and prioritize the oldest orders...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilgo View Post
    Meant March 31... almost 4 months now. Seen people that ordered later with the same spec that has got their bikes... hence lottery.

Hope Ibis could get their act together and prioritize the oldest orders...
    It's not as simple as just the order number. It depends on frame size, color etc.. I went through this with my Mojo3. They get the frames in batches. So many of this color and size and fill orders as they can. So someone that ordered size X and color A a month before someone else ordered size Y in color B may end up waiting longer if more people ordered size X color A.

They aren't taking orders then sending it to the factory and the factory produces the right number of frames for that group of orders.
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Wait times can be hard sometimes, but it's totally worth it! Ibis' Ripmo is such an incredible bike!

Trust me, You'll forget all about the wait once you throw your leg over your new bike..

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    It's not as simple as just the order number. It depends on frame size, color etc.. I went through this with my Mojo3. They get the frames in batches. So many of this color and size and fill orders as they can. So someone that ordered size X and color A a month before someone else ordered size Y in color B may end up waiting longer if more people ordered size X color A.

They aren't taking orders then sending it to the factory and the factory produces the right number of frames for that group of orders.
    I think you misunderstood me. The frames are not the problen. What I am saying is really that they do no reserve parts for the orders. They ship when all parts are in stock. If one order is missing tires one day and brakes the next day it is not shipped. Had they reserved the brakes for that order when they where in stock, they could have shipped it the next day.
    My order has been missing different parts every time. Never the same parts. The frame has been reserved since day one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeCo.com View Post
    Wait times can be hard sometimes, but it's totally worth it! Ibis' Ripmo is such an incredible bike!

Trust me, You'll forget all about the wait once you throw your leg over your new bike..
    Really hope so. Almost not worth the wait. Kinda worried on riding a plastic bike too. Used to a Kona Process and Transition TransAm steel frame you can break trees with and it hardly gets a scratch

Well Biked
    Does someone with a ShockWiz know the compression ratio for the X2? I have tried calibrating it twice already and it refuses to register a deep travel event even after bottoming it out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtDogVT View Post
    I ordered on April 12 (Med Blue frame with XO1 & Carbon rim w/ Ibis hubs) and it shipped this week. Slipped a month from the original delivery date and I was told it was XO1 kits that were holding up the order.

My shop just ordered one last week and they were given November delivery for a large blue frame with Fork and Carbon Wheels. Not a complete bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by scepticshock View Post
    Does someone with a ShockWiz know the compression ratio for the X2? I have tried calibrating it twice already and it refuses to register a deep travel event even after bottoming it out.
    When I calibrated my ripmo with the x2 it came back with a compression ratio of 3.3.

mtbr member
    It may go without stating, but keep in mind that the compression ratio will be affected by the number of tokens. Also, the 2018 and 2019 versions may have different ratios.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Heads up to anyone waiting for an order or thinking of putting in an order, it looks like Ibis just downgraded the standard spec fork on the higher end kits to the performance series from the factory Grip 2. Looks like only the top XX1 kit comes standard with the Grip 2 fork now.

Might want to double check what they're going to build your bikes with if it's sitting in the queue.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    It may go without stating, but keep in mind that the compression ratio will be affected by the number of tokens. Also, the 2018 and 2019 versions may have different ratios.
    Good point. My x2 is how it came from the factory, I didn't add or take out any tokens/volume spacers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripmore View Post
    Heads up to anyone waiting for an order or thinking of putting in an order, it looks like Ibis just downgraded the standard spec fork on the higher end kits to the performance series from the factory Grip 2. Looks like only the top XX1 kit comes standard with the Grip 2 fork now.

Might want to double check what they're going to build your bikes with if it's sitting in the queue.
    Son of a bitch. I'd better not get short-changed on my order. I would assume that an actual order placed with a down payment would be locked and any substitutions would have to be for equal or greater value. Looking at my receipt though, there's nothing about the fork, it just lists "Ripmo X01 L Black - Shock\Bar\Wheels-942-I9-Upgrades". Time to give the LBS a call. Now the same build is $400 higher, and closing the gap to the XX1 kit.

[Edit] Actually, I don't think it's changed, and that the X01 has always had the Factory as an option, but I do think my LBS didn't add the upgrade.

Here's the Ripmo configuration options from March 31st:
    https://web.archive.org/web/20180625...m/bikes/ripmo/

mtbr member

This happened on my last kit bike (not Ibis), but with smaller components, not suspension. My experience, and I believe it says this on their website with regards to kits, is they reserve right to change components of the kit. That said, I would be pretty pissed off with a change as large as a downgrade in suspension spec, and would be surprised if they did something like that, unless it was some limitation on availability from the manufacturer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Son of a bitch. I'd better not get short-changed on my order. I would assume that an actual order placed with a down payment would be locked and any substitutions would have to be for equal or greater value. Looking at my receipt though, there's nothing about the fork, it just lists "Ripmo X01 L Black - Shock\Bar\Wheels-942-I9-Upgrades". Time to give the LBS a call. Now the same build is $400 higher, and closing the gap to the XX1 kit.

[Edit] Actually, I don't think it's changed, and that the X01 has always had the Factory as an option, but I do think my LBS didn't add the upgrade.

Here's the Ripmo configuration options from March 31st:
    https://web.archive.org/web/20180625...m/bikes/ripmo/
    Something must be wrong with that backdated configuration because the option it gives you to upgrade is the Grip 2 fork. Back in March/April the top fork was the RC2 damper and it was the only fork available when I placed my order.

mtbr member
    Something must be wrong with that backdated configuration because the option it gives you to upgrade is the Grip 2 fork. Back in March/April the top fork was the RC2 damper and it was the only fork available when I placed my order.
    Yeah, looks like The Wayback Machine didn't actually have a capture for the Ripmo page from March, and it loaded a capture from June 25th instead.

I called my LBS and the guy I've been working with thought the X01 had the Factory fork by default, too. He's going to check with Ibis and let me know what's up.

[Edit] Actually, I just found my build spec sheet that I had printed, and yeah, the Factory fork was the default with the X01 kit. I heard back from the LBS already, and they did confirm that I'm "locked in" and get the Factory fork. I would imagine that's true for anyone that has secured an order because the pricing changed as well. Unfortunately I'm looking at late September, "maaaaaybe" early October (so, likely mid October at best given the pattern from here.)

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    FWIW I ordered a GX level build with Factory Series (RC2) fork upgrade at the time.
    Mine came in as-ordered, with the following unanticipated changes:

GRIP2 Factory Series fork (as opposed to the RC2)
    X01 derailleur (the rest of the drivetrain is GX)
    SLX brakes (instead of straight Deore)
    Magura Storm SL rotors (instead of Shimano Deore)
    WTB Volt saddle (instead of WTB Silverado)

Quote Originally Posted by holback View Post
    This happened on my last kit bike (not Ibis), but with smaller components, not suspension. My experience, and I believe it says this on their website with regards to kits, is they reserve right to change components of the kit. That said, I would be pretty pissed off with a change as large as a downgrade in suspension spec, and would be surprised if they did something like that, unless it was some limitation on availability from the manufacturer.

Well Biked
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckyuen View Post
    Good point. My x2 is how it came from the factory, I didn't add or take out any tokens/volume spacers.
    Mine came out as 1.5 with stock spacers. I am not sure how it measures are pressure when calibration is done with all the air out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Delete

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I purchased my medium Ripmo specíd with XO1 drive train, ibis i9 wheel set, Fox 36 RC2 and Fox X2 shock on April 10. It had been delayed several times for different reasons.

1) Ibis was having issues with production of the frames in their factory, which btw is in Vietnam. I found this out from my LBS. However, he did not give me any details as to what. I donít know if it had to do with quality control issues or what.

2) Parts are what also delayed shipping out my bike. The frame was available sooner than my parts i.e. XO1 crankset and KS LEV 175mm.

My bike finally came in July 13. It came with parts I didnít order which I was pleased to find out it was built with a 2019 Fox 36 GRIP2 fork, Enve carbon handle bar and WTB Silverado saddle. (Came with 2018 Fox X2)

Just know thereís multiple factors that maybe causing a delay so be patient with your LBS. they have no control over this. Hopefully now the distributor are meeting the standards and parts are in supply.

Instead of my bike being downgraded with parts, I was upgraded! Took long but now stoked! It looks so bad ass now I just need to shred it. Good luck to you all waiting.
    Last edited by malern; 07-22-2018 at 09:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Hi Ripmo owners, I have a shock question. Im trying to find some shox that might be a spare one. Im thinking about coil, curently i have DHX2 and its awesome on my HD, but that dimensions that are used for RIPmo... Fox doesnt produce yet, so what are your shox?(Except factory settings)

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Coil shocks aren't recommend for the Ripmo.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Got my Ripmo in finally! Haven't ridden it yet since I spent the day building it but will tonight and tomorrow!

Have a couple of parts that I'm going to be listing that I took off it. Here is what I'm listing if anyone is looking for spares or upgrades.

1. KS Lev Integra 175mm with the remote and a new cable and housing. Also have a Wolftooth remote that fits the ispec (latest). $250 shipped in the US.
    2. GX Eagle Boost DUB 175mm cranks with 32T ring. $100 shipped in the US.

PM me if interested in these.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Ibis Ripmo - 145/160mm long travel 29er-gic1r4nfr3oleci-ifzvyg.jpg

I'm gonna be selling this thing, don't have it up officially on Pinkbike yet but will be planning to. Anyway, it's a size L frame. GX build w/ Grip2 fork & 2018 X2. Also has a 150mm Transfer on it. Otherwise completely stock. Message me or something if you're interested.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by malern View Post
    I purchased my medium Ripmo specíd with XO1 drive train, ibis i9 wheel set, Fox 36 RC2 and Fox X2 shock on April 10. It had been delayed several times for different reasons.

My bike finally came in July 13. It came with parts I didnít order which I was pleased to find out it was built with a 2019 Fox 36 GRIP2 fork, Enve carbon handle bar and WTB Silverado saddle. (Came with 2018 Fox X2)
    I was under the impression the bikes were assembled overseas... I guess not. Not sure why I had thought that....

Ordered my X01 Ripmo April 14th, was told it would ship mid June. Then told it was delayed and maybe September. I called Ibis, I was ready to cancel my order. Was then told by Ibis that my bike may ship towards the end of July.

Ibis's lack of ability to accurately predict when bikes are going to ship does not make them look very good. They need to figure out how to get their supplier management in order. Many companies over the hill in Silicon Valley, where I have worked with and worked with, deal with overseas suppliers and do a much better job of getting product out the door in the projected time frames. If the Ripmo is such a hot seller, they maybe Ibis could afford to hire some seasoned supply management folks? I would like to see them be able to better predict shipment, and help with communications with the LBS who take the brunt of upset customers.

I hope the bike does ship during July.
    Last edited by squishy_tree; 07-21-2018 at 10:18 PM.

mtbr member
    Coming off a couple of years on the Mojo 3 you really appreciate how burly the Ripmo is. Just getting suspension sorted but dang... it's pretty much a steamroller out of the box.

Ibis Ripmo - 145/160mm long travel 29er-ripmomojo.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TX_CLG View Post
    Got my Ripmo in finally! Haven't ridden it yet since I spent the day building it but will tonight and tomorrow!

Have a couple of parts that I'm going to be listing that I took off it. Here is what I'm listing if anyone is looking for spares or upgrades.

1. KS Lev Integra 175mm with the remote and a new cable and housing. Also have a Wolftooth remote that fits the ispec (latest). $250 shipped in the US.
    2. GX Eagle Boost DUB 175mm cranks with 32T ring. $100 shipped in the US.

PM me if interested in these.
    I'm interested in the wolf creek remote. Let me know by PM please and let's make a deal. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

May contain nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalhippie13 View Post
    Coming off a couple of years on the Mojo 3 you really appreciate how burly the Ripmo is. Just getting suspension sorted but dang... it's pretty much a steamroller out of the box.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ripmomojo.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	220.8 KB 
ID:	1209137
    Why the DPX2 if building ďmore for descending than climbingĒ?

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Has anyone ridden with 50mm and 40mm (or 45mm) stem on the 44 offset fork?
    Seems like larger size bikes/riders come with shorter stems...whats the reasoning behind that?
    Got my first ride in (unreal) with 50mm Ibis stem and it felt great - wondering if I should try shorter stem before upgrading to Thomson stem as was my initial build plan

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Buc_Nasty View Post
    Has anyone ridden with 50mm and 40mm (or 45mm) stem on the 44 offset fork?
    Seems like larger size bikes/riders come with shorter stems...whats the reasoning behind that?
    Got my first ride in (unreal) with 50mm Ibis stem and it felt great - wondering if I should try shorter stem before upgrading to Thomson stem as was my initial build plan
    I'm riding a medium with a 40mm stem and have found the front end likes to pop up on the steep stuff. I was planning on giving a 50mm stem a go to see if it helps mitigate that without adversely affecting the steering.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I'm riding a medium with a 40mm stem and have found the front end likes to pop up on the steep stuff. I was planning on giving a 50mm stem a go to see if it helps mitigate that without adversely affecting the steering.
    Thanks, you just made my decision haha - and I'd advise you try 50mm yourself. My shop was going to let me swap for one of their spares, you might take that approach.

I'm on medium too, 5'7. 50mm felt great from gradual inclines to super steep tech climbs...motored up like a goat - where my old bike was partial to brutal front end waggle depending on the situation (with seat slammed forward and 50mm stem).
    If it aint broke dont fix it - going for Thomson 50mm

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    [Just posted in the Ripmo Sizing Guide post too... hope that's kosher]

While we're chatting about 40mm vs 50mm stems, which would you recommend for me?

I'm a Newb and could use some support. I'm 6'2" with 33.5" inseam and on an XL.

I rode the first 150 miles on the 50mm stem. The bike felt a little big (I'm coming off a 26" hardtail so everything feels different) but I got use to it. Fun!

The LBS offered me a free swap so being curious I took them up on the offer and rode 50 miles on a 40mm. The 40mm feels a little crowded and less laid out and comfy on the flats. But I definitely feel a noticable improvement in the steering. Its more responsive - especially in the tights.

I could ride both longer but the LBS wants me to decide in the next 48 hours.

Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Go out and buy a 45mm stem.
    They are available, no joke!

Well Biked
    I demoed 50mm on a large frame and thought it felt normal, but I'm glad I went with a 40mm when I ordered it. My shop told me that stem length close to the fork offset would handle better.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Iím selling a ripmo-sized x2 (210x55) over on pinkbike if anyone is looking.

mtbr member
    Enjoy the big bird :-p

Ibis Ripmo - 145/160mm long travel 29er-ibis-ripmo-firstimpressions.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by lycra View Post
    Iím selling a ripmo-sized x2 (210x55) over on pinkbike if anyone is looking.
    Why selling?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scepticshock View Post
    I demoed 50mm on a large frame and thought it felt normal, but I'm glad I went with a 40mm when I ordered it. My shop told me that stem length close to the fork offset would handle better.
    This argument is new to me. Any more info on this?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalhippie13 View Post
    Enjoy the big bird :-p

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ibis-ripmo-firstimpressions.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	247.1 KB 
ID:	1210756
    Looking good Pete! How does the Big Bird handle Derby & Shearpin level rocks?

mtbr member
    Jun 2016

Yeti 5.5 - Ripmo comparison

I posted my Ripmo's specs in the build and pic thread and mentioned I replaced my 2017 Yeti 5.5 with the Ripmo. Another poster asked me for some thoughts on how the two bikes compare, so I figured those might be appreciated in this thread as well. I just got my Ripmo last week and don't have much time on it yet, so take these thoughts with a grain of salt:

I'll say this on the 5.5-Ripmo comparison - the two characteristics of the Ripmo that are vast improvements over the 5.5 are the seat tube height and the seat tube angle.

I had a 150 mm Fox Transfer with about 1" of post showing between the collar and the seatpost clamp (on an XL 5.5). I'm running a 185 Bike Yoke Revive on the XL Ripmo and would have room to run a 200 mm dropper if there was one in that size that interested me (have heard only so-so things about the Fall Line).

The 5.5's slack STA was a noticeable detriment on climbs, especially for a tall guy like me. I had to really focus on keeping the front end down, and having to push myself forward to the very nose of the saddle while climbing (if I wanted to remain seated) meant my pedaling wasn't as efficient because of my body position. On the Ripmo I don't have to worry about the front end at all and have simply been able to motor up inclines without my pedaling being affected in the least bit.

Just due to those two reasons alone, I'm very, very happy that I sold the 5.5 and got the Ripmo. There are other advantages for the Ripmo as well, some noteworthy and some very minor:
    - much longer reach in XL (while keeping nearly the same ETT, which is perfect for me)
    - bottle mount in front triangle
    - threaded bottom bracket
    - 0.6 degree slacker HTA
    - fully guided internal routing

I can say this with confidence: I'll never own another mountain bike with a STA slacker than 75 degrees. The steep STA of the Ripmo feels incredible!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintJV View Post
    Why selling?
    I scored a 2019 model of the same shock.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Anyone running a 34T chaing ring? The bike I bought has a 34T chain ring but there is so litle clearance, the protective tape that was put on came away after 3 rides. Worried the paint will get scratched with mud and rocks. If I purchase a 32T, does anyone know what offset, is it the 3MM or 6MM. thanks,

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I am running a 34t sram dub. Clearance is just fine. Sorry, not sure of the offset. I tried a 34 oval, that definitely didnít work.

Quote Originally Posted by fillyo View Post
    Anyone running a 34T chaing ring? The bike I bought has a 34T chain ring but there is so litle clearance, the protective tape that was put on came away after 3 rides. Worried the paint will get scratched with mud and rocks. If I purchase a 32T, does anyone know what offset, is it the 3MM or 6MM. thanks,

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I'm 5'5" 150 lbs and ended up with a Medium Ripmo. Unfortunately I was not able to demo both Small and Medium on the trails but got to ride the Small in the parking lot and it did feel somewhat crammed in the cockpit. During the demo, the climbs really taxing ó it was a new area (lots of fire road) did not have a benchmark to compare other bikes. Once I finally took my new Medium Ripmo on the local trails, I realized that it really did not climb well at all. I donít understand if this a sizing issue (Medium vs Small) as I have always ridden Small frames on all bikes or suspension set up (it is currently at recommended 25% sag). It does descend like a dream though but long flowy rides with climbs are brutal. Looking a few options now

1. Get a small stem 35mm to replace the 50mm - just to see if things improve with overall speed and comfort on flat ground and climbs
    2. Really get the suspension dial in with something like ShockWiz
    3. See if the LBS will replace my bike with a Small (currently all frames out of stock till October in IBIS) - not sure that is really the problem though
    4. Sell it and buy a HighTower LT which climbed much better for me but did not descent as well as the Ripmo.

Any thoughts are welcome.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by sandbike3d View Post
    I'm 5'5" 150 lbs and ended up with a Medium Ripmo. Unfortunately I was not able to demo both Small and Medium on the trails but got to ride the Small in the parking lot and it did feel somewhat crammed in the cockpit. During the demo, the climbs really taxing ó it was a new area (lots of fire road) did not have a benchmark to compare other bikes. Once I finally took my new Medium Ripmo on the local trails, I realized that it really did not climb well at all. I donít understand if this a sizing issue (Medium vs Small) as I have always ridden Small frames on all bikes or suspension set up (it is currently at recommended 25% sag). It does descend like a dream though but long flowy rides with climbs are brutal. Looking a few options now

1. Get a small stem 35mm to replace the 50mm - just to see if things improve with overall speed and comfort on flat ground and climbs
    3. See if the LBS will replace my bike with a Small (currently all frames out of stock till October in IBIS) - not sure that is really the problem though
    4. Sell it and buy a HighTower LT which climbed much better for me but did not descent as well as the Ripmo.

Iím 5í6 orderd a mťdium also, I will go with a 35 stem and no spacers

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferroide View Post
    Iím 5í6 orderd a mťdium also, I will go with a 35 stem and no spacers

Can't seem to find a 35mm stem with 31.8mm diameter to fit Ibis standard handlebar. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Can't seem to find a 35mm stem with 31.8mm diameter to fit Ibis standard handlebar. Any suggestions?
    Hope has a 35mm. Stem and Syntace megaforce2 is 30mm.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Assuming you have the stock tires you could switch them out for something a lot ligther and the climbing will be easier. The stock tires have awesome grip but are really heavy.

mtbr member

What is the problem when climbing? Pedal/bar/saddle position? Bob/sag?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by simenf View Post
    What is the problem when climbing? Pedal/bar/saddle position? Bob/sag?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No noticeable bob. Just feels like a lot of effort climbing up. Also front wheel seems to lift a little when it gets very steep.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Deity Copperhead

mtbr member

Ibis Ripmo - 145/160mm long travel 29er

No noticeable bob. Just feels like a lot of effort climbing up. Also front wheel seems to lift a little when it gets very steep.
    Iíd suggest to take your bike to the shop, tell them your problem and ask them to help you set it up properly, both suspension and your position on the bike. Then youíll have a reference to how it should feel to help you dial it in further.

For reference, once set up right, I felt the Ripmo to be a better climber than my pretty stellar Ripley.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I'll second the opinion to try some lighter/less beefy tires...especially the rear tire. I learned a valuable lesson many years ago when a new bike I bought came with Minion DHF Super Tacky front and rear. I had to work twice as hard and the bike felt very sluggish. I replaced the rear with a faster rolling tire and it completely transformed the bike. Rubber compound plays a huge role in rolling resistance.

For front end lift, I'll assume you've already tried slamming your stem all the way down? Maybe even flip your stem to give a negative rise to see how that feels? That's all free and easy to do. Going from a 50mm to 35mm stem might help you with fit, but it might make the front wheel lift worse on steep climbs. This will be sacrilegious to many, but something else you could try (after you've exhausted all the other options) is to drop the fork from 160mm to 150mm. I run my HD3 at 150mm for this very reason with very little effect on the downhill. The HD3 climbs just as well as my old Ripley OG.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by simenf View Post
    For reference, once set up right, I felt the Ripmo to be a better climber than my pretty stellar Ripley.
    Aaaaghhh....This really makes me want to demo a Ripmo.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by aski View Post
    I learned a valuable lesson many years ago when a new bike I bought came with Minion DHF Super Tacky front and rear. I had to work twice as hard and the bike felt very sluggish. I replaced the rear with a faster rolling tire and it completely transformed the bike. Rubber compound plays a huge role in rolling resistance..
    Sluggish is the exact word to describe the ride. I think I'm defintely going to try lighter tires. Something with great traction with loose over hard rocks - and strong enough not to rupture on the sharp rocks we have here.