Ibis rear hub reliability?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Ibis rear hub reliability?

Anyone have long term experience with the Ibis logo rear hubs? The freehub on my 1 month old wheelset is occasionally skipping under power. Usually after coasting for a bit when I put the power back down I can feel and hear it skip. My last set of hubs that did this gave up the ghost soon after.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Owned mine over a year. No issues.

SPECIALizED
    Over 5k on my first set. Second service showed minimal signs of wear. Only replaced it because I started popping spokes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I have two sets in my family and they are solid. You better service yours before you blow it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Is your crankset slipping while under load? I have a set of Ibis 738s that came with a Mojo 3. It is only six months old and I've been having the slipping issue. Thought is might be the chain since the bike came with a cheap one that stretched quickly, but still doing it after replacing it with a Sram chain.
    The only trace I leave behind is tire marks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad.Mtb View Post
    Is your crankset slipping while under load? I have a set of Ibis 738s that came with a Mojo 3. It is only six months old and I've been having the slipping issue. Thought is might be the chain since the bike came with a cheap one that stretched quickly, but still doing it after replacing it with a Sram chain.
    I donít think my crankset is slipping. It feels and sounds like a rear hub. I had the same issue with a Bitex hub a few years ago. Replaced it with a DT Swiss 350 and itís been bulletproof ever since.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Had to replace mine after two years. Started slipping.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Mine is still slipping. Usually just once or twice per ride. Iíve pulled the freehub a couple times to clean and inspect the pawls and hub shell and each time I find one or two small steel slivers floating around in the hub shell. The pawls look fine. I think the edges of the teeth in the hub shell are being sheared off. Anyone know the measurements of the Ibis logo hub? Iíd like to replace it with something a bit more robust.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by slsl123 View Post
    Mine is still slipping. Usually just once or twice per ride. Iíve pulled the freehub a couple times to clean and inspect the pawls and hub shell and each time I find one or two small steel slivers floating around in the hub shell. The pawls look fine. I think the edges of the teeth in the hub shell are being sheared off. Anyone know the measurements of the Ibis logo hub? Iíd like to replace it with something a bit more robust.
    Deleted response
    ďHow inappropriate to call this planet "Earth," when it is clearly "Ocean.Ē
    ― Arthur C. Clarke

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    2020 Ripley V4 with S35 wheelset.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by urmb View Post
    Most are boost dimensions. What model and year of ibis do you own? https://enduro-mtb.com/en/tech-talk-...ard-all-about/
    Iím looking for the flange diameters and widths so I can find a hub with similar measurements so I can reuse the spokes when I relace the wheel.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Are you looking for the hub measurements to match a hub and reuse your spokes (center to flange measurements, flange diameter, etc.)? I would build with a DT star ratchet 350 or 240 and use new spokes and your old rim if the rim is relatively new and in good shape.

You may need to measure your hub. This site has a good diagram. https://www.prowheelbuilder.com/spokelengthcalculator
    ďHow inappropriate to call this planet "Earth," when it is clearly "Ocean.Ē
    ― Arthur C. Clarke

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by urmb View Post
    Are you looking for the hub measurements to match a hub and reuse your spokes (center to flange measurements, flange diameter, etc.)? I would build with a DT star ratchet 350 or 240 and use new spokes and your old rim if the rim is relatively new and in good shape.

You may need to measure your hub. This site has a good diagram.
    https://www.prowheelbuilder.com/spokelengthcalculator
    Thatís the plan. I was hoping someone had the measurements. Iím still using the wheel and think it would be tough to get accurate measurements without removing the spokes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I agree that the DT Swiss hubs are a solid choice. I had a Bitex (bikehubstore) hub fail on me and the DT 350 hub had the same measurements. I relaced the wheel and was able to reuse all my spokes. That was 10 years ago and the hub is still going strong.

Hoolie Ghoulie on Strava.
    Sep 2010
    Full Edit 4/26:::::: I am not super stoked on Ibis Logo Hubs bearings. I have about 140 rides on my new Ripmo, and the hub bearings are toast. I replaced one bearing (4 in hub) about a month ago, and ordered a full set of 4. I will re post here in a few weeks after all 4 bearing replacement. Anyway, I will build up Chris King Hubs next time, had 2 sets of Kings and never an issue (10 years on one set of Kings, 6 yrs or 1000 rides on another). Anyway, The Ibis hubs are affordable, and fresh bearings should do the trick. If I need to do bearings at $30 every 8 months, it adds up, to cost of King Hub.

UPDATE: The hub bearings ARE toast after 7 months. Any issue with Frame axle binding was freehub body bearing NOT being fully seated. Frame axle is fine now, no binding. Fixed that on temporary bearing by fully seating. Next week installation of new set of 4, when I have time.
    Last edited by hoolie; 04-26-2020 at 11:08 AM.

Ride On!
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
    I am not super stoked on Ibis Logo Hubs. I have about 140 rides on my new Ripmo, and the hub bearings are toast. I replaced one bearing (4 in hub) about a month ago, and ordered a full set of 4. I will re post here in a few weeks after all 4 bearing replacement. It seems that the rear axle on a Ripmo frame pre loads the bearings, so be careful not to overtighten that rear axle? Weird. It seems that the end caps should bottom out on the actual axle, and NOT affect the bearings. Maybe the new Shimano Microspline freehub body shaft (rides outer of main shaft) is 1/2 millimeter to long, and gets compressed by frame Axle? Anyway, I will build up Chris King Hubs next time, had 2 sets of Kings and never an issue (10 years on one set of Kings, 6 yrs or 1000 rides on another). Anyway, The Ibis hubs are affordable, and fresh bearings should do the trick.
    My front hub is getting a bit gritty feeling. What bearings are you using and where can you get them at?

Sep 2010
    Email Ibis for fronts. Rear is Enduro 1 x 6803LLB. 3 x MR17287LLB. Front wheel is also MR17287LLB i think.
    Buy American, save lives. (Tough for cyclists)

mtbr member
    Anyone have long term experience with the Ibis logo rear hubs? The freehub on my 1 month old wheelset is occasionally skipping under power. Usually after coasting for a bit when I put the power back down I can feel and hear it skip. My last set of hubs that did this gave up the ghost soon after.
    Usually that means the rear cluster is toast. Probably depends if itís happening on smaller cogs. At least that was my issue after about a year (160 rides, 200k ft climbing) seems the chain stretch measurer from Park isnít best way to check chain wear. I will replace mine at every 6 months now. The GX cluster is $200+, chain is $30. I tend to wear out the10t, not sure if more chain will fix or not

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member

Ibis rear hub reliability?

I am not super stoked on Ibis Logo Hubs. I have about 140 rides on my new Ripmo, and the hub bearings are toast. I replaced one bearing (4 in hub) about a month ago, and ordered a full set of 4. I will re post here in a few weeks after all 4 bearing replacement. It seems that the rear axle on a Ripmo frame pre loads the bearings, so be careful not to overtighten that rear axle? Weird. It seems that the end caps should bottom out on the actual axle, and NOT affect the bearings. Maybe the new Shimano Microspline freehub body shaft (rides outer of main shaft) is 1/2 millimeter to long, and gets compressed by frame Axle? Anyway, I will build up Chris King Hubs next time, had 2 sets of Kings and never an issue (10 years on one set of Kings, 6 yrs or 1000 rides on another). Anyway, The Ibis hubs are affordable, and fresh bearings should do the trick.
    UPDATE: the issue is the freehub bearings, or the way the body attaches. Separately, The hub bearings ARE toast after 7 months, but the freehub body is the bad issue with drag, when tightening main, frame axle. I am sure when I get around to bearing replacement (4 bearings), its going to be okay.
    If it makes you feel any better, my I9 torch hubs lasted about the same. Outer free hub bearing ate itself after a year. My LBS recommended it being replaced after 8 months and I didnít believe them thought it would loosen up. After a year, It was so destroyed wouldnít come apart the Other bearings were fine.

The good news is I9 is rebuilding my wheel with the new Hydra hub under warranty- pretty impressive. I think these new giant clusters load up the free hub bearings in unanticipated ways.

Sep 2010
    Trackho, I9 has a horrible reputation in my riding circle, so I9 was NOT even considered when I ordered my Ripmo in September 2019. Everyone seems to love their warranty, service, and they have great warranty repair stories all over MTBR. So that is good, they stand behind their products. Back to Chris King hubs for me on next build. Hopefully when I instal new bearings, This hub will run smoothly for a longer duration.

mtbr member
    Trackho, I9 has a horrible reputation in my riding circle, so I9 was NOT even considered when I ordered my Ripmo in September 2019. Everyone seems to love their warranty, service, and they have great warranty repair stories all over MTBR. So that is good, they stand behind their products. Back to Chris King hubs for me on next build. Hopefully when I instal new bearings, This hub will run smoothly for a longer duration.
    Interesting, I paid extra for I9 on my 942 assuming they were bomb proof- opps. My Hopes have been super reliable, so I was shocked. Well see, but youíre probably right about CK- live and learn

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Trackho View Post
    Usually that means the rear cluster is toast. Probably depends if itís happening on smaller cogs. At least that was my issue after about a year (160 rides, 200k ft climbing) seems the chain stretch measurer from Park isnít best way to check chain wear. I will replace mine at every 6 months now. The GX cluster is $200+, chain is $30. I tend to wear out the10t, not sure if more chain will fix or not

Doesn't feel or sound like a chain slipping and it's been happening since the bike and drivetrain were new. I've cleaned and relubed the hub several times and it continues. It only happens occasionally and it's still working so I'm not going to worry about it.

Sep 2010
    Have you used a derailleur hanger alignment tool to check rear mech? Or is it definitely skipping?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Have you used a derailleur hanger alignment tool to check rear mech? Or is it definitely skipping?
    Maybe "skipping" is the wrong way to describe what is happening. After coasting when I begin to pedal again occasionally the cranks jump forward by like 10 or 20 degrees and then reengage with a loud crack/clunk. It feels like the pawls are jumping a couple teeth and then grabbing. I've checked my hanger and the shifting is perfect.