Thread: IBIS...No IMBA?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

IBIS...No IMBA?

I was surprised after browsing through my latest IMBA Trail News (Summer 2010) that Ibis Bicycles was not listed as a "Corporate Member" or as a "Above And Beyond Supporter" or for that matter, not showing up at all. Perhaps there was a typo or IMBA's registry is not current. Any Comment from Ibis?

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    who cares? Ibis has done a large number of charity events since I have been a mojo owner. If they choose to not partake in donations to imba I am ok with that.

screamer

No good puhleeze

Quote Originally Posted by info@mthome.com
    Perhaps there was a typo or IMBA's registry is not current. Any Comment from Ibis?
    Well you win the passive-aggressive-not-so-thinly-veiled-judgment award for the day. You do know that there's a recession goin' on, right?

It doesn't take much digging to see that Ibis generously supports a range of causes, both MTB and non. They tend to be of the grass-roots variety.
    http://www.chuckibis.com/chuck_spew/...g-away-a-bike/
    http://www.chuckibis.com/chuck_spew/...s-fund-trails/
    http://www.chuckibis.com/chuck_spew/...-nasty-cancer/
    http://www.chuckibis.com/chuck_spew/...l-raffle-push/
    On heavy rotation: White Lung: Deep Fantasy

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Here's the story

We offered to raise money via a raffle or such as we have done in the past, but they were looking for a straight cash contribution.

We declined, as we have seen that we can generate more money for a cause if we promote it and give away something of value and interest to our audience. We don't like to just write a check.

We probably could raise about 5 - 10 times more than is needed for us to be a member.
    It seems like splitting hairs, but we were not able to work it out.

We're very appreciative of how our cycling friends have helped raised a lot of money for other good causes in the last couple of years.
    We'll probably figure something out to help them one of these days....

Hans

ride your bike
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like IMBA declined a co-promotion activity. I've seen (and bought raffle tickets for) a few nice items donated by bike companies at our local chapter events. And I'm thankful those items were donated. But it's hard to blame 'the mothership' IMBA for avoiding perceived alliances/favoring of particular brands. For Ibis to state that they'd rather donate on their terms seems a little odd. I have no doubt a co-promotion activity would raise more money for IMBA relative to handing a check over, but that's not really the point when donating to a charity or non-profit you believe in.
    Taking it easy for all you sinners.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jubilee
    Please correct me if I'm wrong,,,,,,,,, But it's hard to blame 'the mothership' IMBA for avoiding perceived alliances/favoring of particular brands.
    Can't see any blame anywhere, just the way they do things. Tons of worthwhile charities out there and it seems like the OP is trying to blame IBIS for choosing which ones they raise money for.

ride your bike
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon
    Can't see any blame anywhere, just the way they do things.
    ...which is why I said it's hard to blame them.

..... it seems like the OP is trying to blame IBIS for choosing which ones they raise money for.
    That's quite a stretch. I don't think the OP is out of line for asking. The IMBA builds trails, instructs others on building, and lobbies for mtb-ing/trails.

It's not unheard of to support companies that share your interests. If the OP intended to be malicious, he/she hid it well.

Too Much Fun

Come on...

Quote Originally Posted by info@mthome.com
    Any Comment from Ibis?
    Are you joking? Think about it.

Ibis is one of the Founding Brands of the goddam sport. Where were you in '83?

Chuckie Ibis has done more to build and keep this sport moving forward then most could ever hope to. If Ibis doesn't choose to directly fund IMBA then I think we can be confident they're pulling for the sport in a ton of other ways both great and small.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jubilee
    I don't think the OP is out of line for asking. The IMBA builds trails, instructs others on building, and lobbies for mtb-ing/trails.

It's not unheard of to support companies that share your interests. If the OP intended to be malicious, he/she hid it well.
    seems to me the OP was calling out IBIS to defend why they haven't funded directly to IMBA. The OP has seemingly hit and run. I think it's not up to members of an advocacy organisation to call out non-members for choosing how they give to charities.

1 bike to ride them all
    You guys can't be serious?!

I find it difficult to believe how people within our community find it so easy to be passive aggressive and criticize a company and their brand without finding out all the details first.

How quickly some have forgotten that IMBA has allied with specific bike and car brands.

No doubt, IMBA is a great organization that does great work. However, if IMBA wants to receive funding from the bulk of the industry they can't offer a premium level of sponsorship/partnership to just one company.

We're all mountain bike enthusiasts... aren't we? I am extremely grateful when a bike company chooses to support any advocacy effort. And I think is divisive and foolish to criticize them for "giving" in a way that is a win-win for them too.

Let's focus on the positives here

ride your bike
    I think it's not up to members of an advocacy organisation to call out non-members for choosing how they give to charities.
    I can agree with you here.

....this thread is eerily reminiscent of the Turner forum on a bad day.

No dabs.
    I was just on a trip up to Downiville and Graegle, and did some volunteer work with the Sierra Buttes Trail Stewardship on one day of our trip. We worked on the Mills Peak Trail, and the sections that have been built are beautiful, flowy pieces of art. In talking with the director I learned that Ibis had purchased the $26,000 tractor (pictured below) for the Stewardship that is used to build and restore some epic trails in the Sierras.

It served as a reminder to me that people choose to give in different ways, and they don't always choose the way that displays their name on a list or their logo on a brochure. Thanks to Ibis and the SBTS!

Members who have read this thread: 0