mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Ibis Mojo Small for my 5'3" wife...crazy?

I'm about to get myself a new Ibis Mojo and am debating getting my wife the same...the smallest they make is a "small" with a virtual top tube of 560mm (22 inches):

http://www.ibiscycles.com/bikes/mojo_sl/

...I measure her Santa Cruz Juliana to about 21" virtual top tube...so it would be 1" longer. I figure a shorter stem and slide seat forward a fraction could close that distance, so one question is whether the bike would be too big?...but I wonder if the real question is moving her to a 5" travel bike...she's an XC rider and maybe a shorter travel bike the Juliana is better?

I posted this on the Women's forum too, but I am hoping maybe someone on here would have an opinion that helps...thanks!

aka dan51
    Do a fitting at the LBS first if you can.
    What length stem is she running on her current bike?
    If you want to get her a DW link frame, Turner and Pivot make XS versions of their bikes which may fit better.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    unfortunately, no LBS carries Ibis...100mm stem

also simply wondering if 5" travel is too much handling-wise

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahoe Gator
    unfortunately, no LBS carries Ibis...100mm stem

also simply wondering if 5" travel is too much handling-wise
    Going to a 70-80mm stem would probably make the bike fit fine and handle better.
    I'm not sure I understand the "5" too much handling" question. The bike handles excellent. If she's a serious racer I could see her wanting something smaller, but the bike rides so well she'll probably say she likes it.

You could also try doing a demo of another brand of 5" bike and see how she likes it.

Have you compared stand over heights? That could be a make or break measurement too.

Does she want another bike? I've been trying to convince mine to get a Mojo, and she says over and over that her Stumpy is fine. I have a feeling we'd get her a Mojo and she'd always be saying "my other bike did ____ better" (though I know she is totally wrong ). I'm just gonna wait until it falls apart before pressing any further...

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    ...so funny...I was thinking this would be a surprise but I needed to assess the fit...so I got her to sit on her Juliana...she does, but then says, "Why? I don't want a new mountain bike. I like this one." ... alas problem solved the easiest way. What guy would say, "No thanks, don't want a new bike"...none, but then again probably why we also complain when our bikes don't work perfect on the trail and women just ride without complaint.

30-ton War Machine
    Buy it for her anyways...... I am sure she deserves it!

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    My wife is 5'5" and rides a medium mojo as her trail bike. She could have ridden a small as that is what she rides for her DH bike but we wanted a longer wheelbase for trail riding steeps. She rides it well and loves it so I would think a small would be perfect for your wife.

Amber on her mojo (medium).
    Ibis Mojo Small for my 5'3" wife...crazy?-img_0654.jpg
    Ibis Mojo Small for my 5'3" wife...crazy?-img_0607.jpg

This is her on her DH bike on similar trails (small).
    Ibis Mojo Small for my 5'3" wife...crazy?-img_3380.jpg
    Ibis Mojo Small for my 5'3" wife...crazy?-img_3394.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    im 5'2 evenly proportioned torso to leg length. i ride a small mojo with 100mm stem. it fits me just fine. i dont feel "too stretched out" or "too cramped" up top. handling wise the bike feels spot on for me. your wife should have no problem riding a small sized mojo.

hope this helps. i usually give guys "wife fitting advice" in the shop i work at since i am about the size of their wives if not then smaller.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by zzsean
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3380.JPG 
Views:	508 
Size:	218.0 KB 
ID:	578520
    Wow, mad props to your wife, I know exactly where that is and I have never even tried that line.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Your wife sounds like my husband who is still riding a 14 year old carbon fiber Gary Fisher hardtail and doesn't own a full suspension bike. I made the jump to an Ibis this year after starting to crash all the time while riding my 7 year old hardtail specialized. I was probably crashing more because I sucked at riding, but that is another story. . .

Anyway, like another poster here, I am 5'3" tall and I ride the size small with a shorter stem. I do barely touch the frame on stand-over but I have never had an incident with that (and I've crashed a few times riding this bike) so I don't see it as a problem. The travel is great--my last bike's lack of travel is what made me crash so much. I think you could always stiffen up the suspension if you wanted to reduce the amt. of travel she'd get.

I was able to test ride a size small before I bought although it didnt have the shorter stem and I also rode a blur xc and I felt much more stable on the ibis--but that is all personal.

Then again, sounds like she isn't getting a new bike anyway! But for what it is worth--I can almost keep up with my husband now while he is riding his "vintage" hard tail.

Members who have read this thread: 4