mtbr member

Ibis Mojo SL 650b.... A reality?

The 650b wheels conversion on the Ibis Mojo sl sounds like a good option for me. The Mojo has been a dream bike and handles everything like a champ but I'd like to see what larger wheels could do.It's fork is an 08 fox Talas 100-120-140 and I hear its a great match for a 650b front. BTW I'm 6.1 240 lbs and ride really rocky single track in the north east.
    The info I'm getting on the conversion and real world overall ride quality is still spotty. Maybe we could get all the users to collaborate on a DIY sticky in order to answer basic questions like;
    What mods, if any are needed in order to run a front only 650b wheel?
    What exactly is needed to run a 650b in the rear?

Also as of now (8/9/10) where could I buy a 650b front wheel set? Seems like nobody has them in stock.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Herres some info I got from derby:

"I ran my Mojo front only 650b for 6 months before getting a rear also for the last 2 years. I like the steeper more original handling geometry for about all of my local riding in Marin. I'm using a Lyrik 160 u-turn fork set at 140mm most of the time, raise it often for downhills, and lower a little for climbing and tight twisty trail.

The largest 650b tire the Kenda Nevegal 2.35 tire may not clear the Mojo stays, but the Pacenti Neomoto 2.3 does clear the stays on a true wheel, it's minimal clearance but has been fine for me rain or shine for 2 years of heavy use. Any smaller tire size clears easily.

With a 2.3 tire there might be a seat tube rub problem if you bottom travel of your mojo. If you deflate your shock and your tire rubs, shim the shock bottom travel a little, it's easy.

I think that a shim about 5mm would be plenty for any Mojo possible production run variation to clear 2.3 650b tires with no problem. My shock shim is only 3 mm thick."

I'm running a 2010 mojo sl with an 09 talas and stans 650b wheelset front and rear now, and I think its great. I ran a 650b front only for a while, and the back end rolls minimally slower than the 26 but definitely takes bumps better, and spins up almost as easily. Love it! Im tiny, on a small mojo riding rocky, rooty, technical all over the east coast.... handling is phenomenal, confidence inspiring, and unlike my 69er... is effortless.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    This is what I wrote on the 650b thread(http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=634490).
    "The Neo-Moto fits the rear of the Mojo SL, not much for mud clearance though. I have ridden it several times now and really like the tire. Running Wolverine front, Neo rear right now. I really like what full 650b has done for the bike. The bottom bracket was a little low for me and this raised it to a level I like. The roll over is better, but the biggest differnce that caught me is the bigger contact patch cornering. I have been mountain biking seriously since 1987, full rigid, hardtails,FS,(1992 Gary Fisher/Mert Lawill RS1 was first of many full suspension bikes). I had changed things on all the bikes to set them up for my riding to find the sweet spot for me. As much as I really like the Mojo, I didn't feel I had found the best setup. After reading many posts about guys running 650b on the Mojo (and somewhat skeptical) I gave it a shot. For me its a winner! May not be for everyone, but I am on BBBBBoard!"

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Is the clearance the same in the Mojo, or is there more clearance with the SL (rear)

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Mojo and Mojo Sl frames are identical in terms of clearance and geometry

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    derby has as much (probably more) time on a 650b Mojo than anyone here. Maybe he'll chime in with some good info. There's a lot on the 650b forum.

Cheers,

KP

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Pacenti
    derby has as much (probably more) time on a 650b Mojo than anyone here. Maybe he'll chime in with some good info. There's a lot on the 650b forum.

Cheers,

KP
    Yes, the mojo clears most 650b tires available. The shock may need a small travel limit shim added, which is easy to do yourself for anyone who services their own shock. Most 26 incher forks clear safely too. It's a very nice ride.

There's a lot of detail about doing a mojo 650b and forks that clear in the 650b forum.

Edit: I should add that 650b feels much like riding DH tires on 26" wheels with the same travel, increased stability and momentum carries well, except without the weight of DH wheels (or toughness). The wheel size conversion does raise the pedal clearance and center of gravity higher 1/2 inch. While climbing, I like the much improved pedal clearance using deeper sag where I like to ride. And I use a remote drop seat post to lower CG anytime I'm not climbing or on smoother trail. There is no loss in efficiency climbing or braking, really there is an improved sense of efficiencies in those areas, and more traction cornering too.
    Last edited by derby; 08-18-2010 at 10:26 PM.

mtbr member
    The only place I can find a wheelset is on ebay. What do you think of these? 35
    mm seems a bit wide.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-VELOCITY-WHI...ts_Accessories
    Any other places on the webs to order a higher end set?

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothmove
    The only place I can find a wheelset is on ebay. What do you think of these? 35
    mm seems a bit wide.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-VELOCITY-WHI...ts_Accessories
    Any other places on the webs to order a higher end set?
    The 35mm wide P35 would limit tire size in the rear, a tire grows in diameter about 3 or 4mm every 5mm wider the rim is, I've found using both a 28mm Blunt and P35 with 2.3 tires. A 2.3x650b Neo-moto might not clear the mojo. Not much reason for a wide rim using smaller light XC tires.

The Blunts are supposed to restock everywhere in the next few weeks. Alex makes a nice looking XC lighter trail rim. American Classic makes a very nice 650b wheelset. Your local shop can build or have their distributor build custom spec wheels.

Better to ask in the 650b forum. There is much experience there.

Members who have read this thread: 0