mtbr member
    Jan 2006

New question here. Ibis Mojo MTBR Review Rating

Hey, I realize that the Mojo has dropped again and I am surprised that the most recent reviewer mentioned that his rear triangle frame cracked after 11 months and that it is his fault so he need to pay it.

The story seem believable except for the he is riding normally and the rear triangle cracked and Ibis asked him to pay for the new rear triangle.
    07 Giant Anthem 2 (Int'l Edition) | omartan.co.cc
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Dude, you need to get back on your bike and start riding instead of reading every single piece of text about the Mojo

PS: I'm getting into every single tri/tt race around here to get rid of my frustation due to waiting for the frame. It does work... to some extent

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Dude, you need to get back on your bike and start riding instead of reading every single piece of text about the Mojo
    Nah, I never read every single piece of text about the Mojo, its just that I saw the moderator announcement about bike of the year award and figured out to check out the current Mojo rating
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

mtbr member
    May 2004
    You place too much stock in others' opinions.

If it is the bike of the year to you...what does it matter?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I know the guy that posted that. He rides hard and we have rocky terrain around here. I think he probably hit the chainstay on a rock while riding. Whether it should be able to take the side load from a non-crash impact is the question. I don't think there was any real visible evidence that the chainstay had taken a hit though. I guess that is the real problem with carbon fiber, it might not show crash damage the same as aluminum.

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelhot
    Hey, I realize that the Mojo has dropped again and I am surprised that the most recent reviewer mentioned that his rear triangle frame cracked after 11 months and that it is his fault so he need to pay it.

The story seem believable except for the he is riding normally and the rear triangle cracked and Ibis asked him to pay for the new rear triangle.
    dude, in case you haven't realized there is no perfect bike or material out there; yes, even your beloved mojo ain't perfect. It's all in the eye of the beholder (read: rider). Just ride your bike and have fun.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I know the guy that posted that. He rides hard and we have rocky terrain around here. I think he probably hit the chainstay on a rock while riding. Whether it should be able to take the side load from a non-crash impact is the question. I don't think there was any real visible evidence that the chainstay had taken a hit though. I guess that is the real problem with carbon fiber, it might not show crash damage the same as aluminum.
    Yeah, no material is perfect.

dude, in case you haven't realized there is no perfect bike or material out there; yes, even your beloved mojo ain't perfect. It's all in the eye of the beholder (read: rider). Just ride your bike and have fun.
    I know that, thanks for telling anyway
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

Turn off the TV
    I had to buy a new triangle due to a small hole in the seat stay. Happened when I slipped off a ledge and smacked the seat stay on a rock. Thats the chance you take when you buy carbon. If you don't know that going in then that's your bad. It's not the bike really. If people want a bike that will take crashes on rocks better get aluminium or steel. If people want to find fault a bigger complaint should be the flex in the rear end. Just my 2 cents

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I had to buy a new triangle due to a small hole in the seat stay. Happened when I slipped off a ledge and smacked the seat stay on a rock. Thats the chance you take when you buy carbon. If you don't know that going in then that's your bad. It's not the bike really. If people want a bike that will take crashes on rocks better get aluminium or steel. If people want to find fault a bigger complaint should be the flex in the rear end. Just my 2 cents
    Aaah okay . Well any bike will eventually brake just goes to when and how
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

wow, that is some deep thought.

wheelhot, wait until i get done reviewing my mojo. it might just fall to 2 flaming chilis!

mx

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

wow, that is some deep thought.

wheelhot, wait until i get done reviewing my mojo. it might just fall to 2 flaming chilis!

mx
    Lol, as long as the review is well written with reasons and points then it is fine. I find it annoying when I read reviews (not on about the Mojo) where the the reviewer just say oh this product sucks because of blah blah blah. I prefer if you actually tell your personal experience and such.
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Strange

I find it strange that with all of the CS issues and rocker arm breaks, bogus ‘clamed’ frame weight, the Epithany always seems to have the best rating. Maybe the upset customers aren’t into writing reviews.

Yes, I take MTBR's ratings seriously, in my area it is very difficult to impossible to test any high end bikes and equipment. Since getting into this hobby last year and completely starting out fresh, I based most of my purchases on MTBR feed back. It has been very reliable.

My $.02

David

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Yes, I take MTBR's ratings seriously, in my area it is very difficult to impossible to test any high end bikes and equipment. Since getting into this hobby last year and completely starting out fresh, I based most of my purchases on MTBR feed back. It has been very reliable.
    Same here, that's why its important to hang out in the manufacturers forum to know how do the company handle problems with the customer. .

You can find me lurking around Spesh, Giant, Trek, Ibis, Turner. I checked Ells and the riders they say Ells CS is getting better :surprised:
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by SMT42
    It's good to read honest reviews like that. Unlike some that are based purely on theory. It's entertaining to read post that talk about CF being the holy grail of materials for mtb frames. I'm sure those folks will say an Alu frame would have punctured as well. Not dissing CF, just saying it has its limitations and as SMT42 said, you should know that going in. Now about that rear end flex I'm hearing similar feedback from Mojo riders (the ones who ride more aggressively, most don't push/ride their bikes hard enough to notice this) I see on the trail. I wonder if anything is being done to address that.

mtbr member

Usual nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAPRO
    Unlike some that are based purely on theory. It's entertaining to read post that talk about CF being the holy grail of materials for mtb frames. I'm sure those folks will say an Alu frame would have punctured as well. Not dissing CF, just saying it has its limitations and as SMT42 said, you should know that going in. .
    The usual nonsense: You can build aluminum or steel bikes that will fold on impact.

Would an aluminum bike had punctured as well? At the same weight it would puncture and/or bend, at higher weight maybe not.

Gram by gram you can build stronger and more impact resistant bikes in composite then with any other material.

mtbr member
    It is relative. If a company's CS is getting better, you have to see where they have been to truly know where they are. Ibis does well as do Ventana, Turner, Knolly, and a couple of others. Intense and Ellsworth were horrible and I still would not buy either though I know Intense is turning their ship around so there is hope. I had a chance to buy either at shop-employee pricing and turned down both. I could have made money off either but that I didn't want to do to a friend since it was a personal favor. He sells one to me as part of his quota and it shows up on Ebay...funny not cool.

I'd much rather pay more for an Ibis, Knolly, Turner, Ventana, etc. I support decent human beings who will also take care of me if something happens to my bike. Dave Turner is probably the best at this and the most involved but Hans is also here, listening to riders and offering suggestions. That is the best thing he can do.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    i am going to get an Ellsworth after reading about the mojo

mx

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Now about that rear end flex I'm hearing similar feedback from Mojo riders (the ones who ride more aggressively, most don't push/ride their bikes hard enough to notice this) I see on the trail. I wonder if anything is being done to address that.
    Yeah, there is going to be a new links and we call it the Lopes Link, I forget where is the picture of the link again, it is reported to increase the rear end stiffness .

Carbon bikes if designed properly then it is possible to be lighter and stronger then the same aluminium frame of the same category.

i am going to get an Ellsworth after reading about the mojo
    LOL!
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Carbon bikes if designed properly then it is possible to be lighter and stronger then the same aluminium frame of the same category.
    LOL!
    i am not so sure about this whole carbon fiber frame fad thing going on here

i think ibis should make a titanium mojo and call it "mojo ti"

thank you

mx

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    i think ibis should make a titanium mojo and call it "mojo ti"
    I don't think Ibis could make a Ti Mojo that is as strong and as beautiful as Mojo Carbon.
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I don't think Ibis could make a Ti Mojo that is as strong and as beautiful as Mojo Carbon.
    sure they could

mx

Members who have read this thread: 0